DENVER: Episcopal church's last rites...

DENVER: Episcopal church's last rites in Englewood fueled by gay divide

There are 27 comments on the www.virtueonline.org story from Mar 9, 2011, titled DENVER: Episcopal church's last rites in Englewood fueled by gay divide. In it, www.virtueonline.org reports that:

After a farewell service on Sunday, St. George's Episcopal Church will close its doors just short of its 100th anniversary - the latest parish to disintegrate in part because of the ordination of gay and lesbian priests.

The Episcopal Diocese of Colorado will officially deconsecrate the Englewood church, more recently called Holy Apostles, after its short-lived merger with another struggling congregation failed to save it ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.virtueonline.org.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 Mar 9, 2011
from virtueonline:

"'St. George's has been a church in turmoil for decades,' said Rosamond Long, a 35-year member of the church.'We managed to get it back on its feet every time. This time, we're not going to be able to do it.'

"The remaining 30 or so congregants will scatter among other churches."
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#2 Mar 9, 2011
It's a shame this church is closing. I wonder if this is just one more example of what seems to be a widespread problem of church closings, of all denominations, across the U.S.

I moved upstate NY a couple of years ago, and I have never seen as many closed churches in my life as I have seen up here, of all denominations.

Last year, I went "church-shopping" to find a new church to call home. I visited 14 churches in 4 denominations (Lutheran, The United Church Of Christ, Methodist, and Episcopal). Sadly, some of these churches had an average attendance of 10 people or less. I cannot imagine how these churches survive.

Also, at each of the 14 churches that I visited, amongst 4 denominations, I introduced myself to the pastor, told him or her that I was "church-shopping" informed them that i am openly gay, and asked them if I would be welcome.

At EVERY church I attended, the pastor said that they had no problem wit me bing openly gay, and I was welcome to join the church if I wished to do so.

I attended a church in The United Church Of Christ in Albany, about 50 miles southeast of me each Sunday for more than 2 months. It was only after attending for 4 Sundays did I learn that the pastor is a gay man, married to a man,. and they are raising a son.

After nearly a year of church chopping, I joined a Lutheran church about 25 miles southwest of me where I now attend each Sunday.

Many people seem to think, mistakenly I believe, that all Christians are anti-gay. But as I said, I attended 14 churches in 4 denominations, just walking in cold off the street with no prior communication with the pastor, and after informing each pastor that I am openly gay and looking for a church, I was warmly welcomed at each church.

And although 3 of the churches are in Albany, the other 11 churches are in small cities or very rural areas.

In my personal experience, I just don't think that Christian churches are as hostile to gay people, as many people mistakenly believe.

Incidentally, there are 2 churches in Fonda, NY that are abandoned and for sale. I did look at both of them with the idea of possibly purchasing one of them. Zion Church in Fonda, NY (Actor Henry Fonda's family founded the town) was opened in 1866, and closed in 1933. It has been vacant since then. I was told that the building was used as a crypt for awhile after it's closing. I spoke to the owner several times and he listed it on ebay. He was asking $25,000, and I offered him $5000 (the building is just a stone shell), but he declined. You can find images of it on the web or look at it on Google Street View.
Listen to the Word

Fort Mohave, AZ

#3 Mar 9, 2011
No one said that a lot of churches are not pro-gay. It is the Bible that calls homosexuality a sin (regardless what modern scholarship says about a conspiracy to mistranslate the words for 2000 years prior to the modern scholar's enlightenment).

It is the ongoing disconnect between the churches and the Bible (or the pastors and the Bible) which has led to the closure of church after church.

If the Bible is so confusing that the "pros" who lead the churches and seminaries cannot figure out what it is actually saying, then there is no hope for lay people. Many give up or move on to the new community church which has some semblance of doctrinal integrity because they have leaders who believe in the simple and clear words of the Bible.

The denominations are dead -- or dying, floating on top of a century of liberalism. The lay people know it. The pastors and denominational leaders haven't caught on yet that they are the problem.

“As American as.......”

Since: Feb 11

Apple Pie

#4 Mar 9, 2011
Listen to the Word wrote:
No one said that a lot of churches are not pro-gay. It is the Bible that calls homosexuality a sin (regardless what modern scholarship says about a conspiracy to mistranslate the words for 2000 years prior to the modern scholar's enlightenment).
It is the ongoing disconnect between the churches and the Bible (or the pastors and the Bible) which has led to the closure of church after church.
If the Bible is so confusing that the "pros" who lead the churches and seminaries cannot figure out what it is actually saying, then there is no hope for lay people. Many give up or move on to the new community church which has some semblance of doctrinal integrity because they have leaders who believe in the simple and clear words of the Bible.
The denominations are dead -- or dying, floating on top of a century of liberalism. The lay people know it. The pastors and denominational leaders haven't caught on yet that they are the problem.
The bible is not that confusing, especially on the issue of gays. It clearly states that it is a sin. The bible also clearly states that we are not in charge of judging so gays should be welcome at church. The church is like a hospital for sinners and the point should be to lead us away from sin. With that said, shouldn't the role of the pastor be to do exactly that? Lead us away from sin? The pastor should be as close to a sin free example as humanly possible and should not condone what the bible clearly states is a sin.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#5 Mar 9, 2011
YAWN - This isn't news this is an op-ed statement written by a radical Anglican that hates TEC more then he loves Christ Jesus.
Doug

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Mar 9, 2011
Around half of the Roman Catholic parishes in the Camden diocese of New Jersey are closing. They're downsizing from about 120 to about 60 parishes. What are their views on homosexuality?
George

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Mar 9, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
It's a shame this church is closing. I wonder if this is just one more example of what seems to be a widespread problem of church closings, of all denominations, across the U.S.
I moved upstate NY a couple of years ago, and I have never seen as many closed churches in my life as I have seen up here, of all denominations.
Last year, I went "church-shopping" to find a new church to call home. I visited 14 churches in 4 denominations (Lutheran, The United Church Of Christ, Methodist, and Episcopal). Sadly, some of these churches had an average attendance of 10 people or less. I cannot imagine how these churches survive.
Also, at each of the 14 churches that I visited, amongst 4 denominations, I introduced myself to the pastor, told him or her that I was "church-shopping" informed them that i am openly gay, and asked them if I would be welcome.
At EVERY church I attended, the pastor said that they had no problem wit me bing openly gay, and I was welcome to join the church if I wished to do so.
I attended a church in The United Church Of Christ in Albany, about 50 miles southeast of me each Sunday for more than 2 months. It was only after attending for 4 Sundays did I learn that the pastor is a gay man, married to a man,. and they are raising a son.
After nearly a year of church chopping, I joined a Lutheran church about 25 miles southwest of me where I now attend each Sunday.
Many people seem to think, mistakenly I believe, that all Christians are anti-gay. But as I said, I attended 14 churches in 4 denominations, just walking in cold off the street with no prior communication with the pastor, and after informing each pastor that I am openly gay and looking for a church, I was warmly welcomed at each church.
And although 3 of the churches are in Albany, the other 11 churches are in small cities or very rural areas.
In my personal experience, I just don't think that Christian churches are as hostile to gay people, as many people mistakenly believe.
Incidentally, there are 2 churches in Fonda, NY that are abandoned and for sale. I did look at both of them with the idea of possibly purchasing one of them. Zion Church in Fonda, NY (Actor Henry Fonda's family founded the town) was opened in 1866, and closed in 1933. It has been vacant since then. I was told that the building was used as a crypt for awhile after it's closing. I spoke to the owner several times and he listed it on ebay. He was asking $25,000, and I offered him $5000 (the building is just a stone shell), but he declined. You can find images of it on the web or look at it on Google Street View.
You would also be welcome at so-called "anti-gay" churches. If you are sexually active, your behavior would not be affirmed and, some pastors might think it necessary to take corrective action to discourage certain of your behavior but most hospitals for sinners would certainly welcome you.

“For this reason...”

Since: Feb 10

Marriage = Man + Woman 4 Life

#8 Mar 9, 2011
George wrote:
<quoted text>
You would also be welcome at so-called "anti-gay" churches. If you are sexually active, your behavior would not be affirmed and, some pastors might think it necessary to take corrective action to discourage certain of your behavior but most hospitals for sinners would certainly welcome you.
Correct. Too many confuse not supporting or condoning of the sin with rejection of the sinner.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#9 Mar 9, 2011
WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Too many confuse not supporting or condoning of the sin with rejection of the sinner.
Except homosexuality is not a sin.

:)
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#10 Mar 9, 2011
(btw, the ancient Greek word for homosexuality is "FUN !:)")

#11 Mar 10, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
(btw, the ancient Greek word for homosexuality is "FUN !:)")
LOL - "And we'll have fun, fun, fun until daddy takes the T-Bird away!"

LMAO - Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper

I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have -

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Girls - they want to have fun

Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have

Some fun
Oh girls just want to have fun,
They want to have fun,
They want to have fun....

“For this reason...”

#12 Mar 10, 2011
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL - "And we'll have fun, fun, fun until daddy takes the T-Bird away!"
LMAO - Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they want to have fun
The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have -
Some fun
Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have
Some fun
Oh girls just want to have fun,
They want to have fun,
They want to have fun....
At least this time you are not quoting a book that you don't believe in.

#13 Mar 11, 2011
WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
At least this time you are not quoting a book that you don't believe in.
Dear sweet Alfred, you are wrong once again. I just refuse to worship the idol that you love so passionately. I also know more about what is actually written those books then you do. One of the advantages of living a longer life and actually studying is knowledge. LOL – Try it sometime!

“For this reason...”

#14 Mar 11, 2011
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear sweet Alfred, you are wrong once again. I just refuse to worship the idol that you love so passionately. I also know more about what is actually written those books then you do. One of the advantages of living a longer life and actually studying is knowledge. LOL – Try it sometime!
The great and learned McCabe, the thong of whose sandal even Jesus is not worthy to untie.

All hail McCabe.

#15 Mar 12, 2011
WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
The great and learned McCabe, the thong of whose sandal even Jesus is not worthy to untie.
All hail McCabe.
I am so sorry but you must be confusing yourself with me.

I am the person washing the feet of those in need as taught to us by Christ Jesus Himself.

“As American as.......”

Apple Pie

#16 Mar 12, 2011
You both have got me confused!
JesusChristVampi reHunter

Aurora, CO

#17 Mar 13, 2011
Auntie Social List wrote:
You both have got me confused!
You and me both

Wrecks 666

“^..^Train Driving Dawg^..^”

Wanna Blow, My Horn?

#18 Mar 14, 2011
JesusChristVampireHunter wrote:
<quoted text>You and me both
This is weird, I'll check back later when I'm drunk maybe I can make sense out of it then.

OG Sniper

Since: Mar 11

Stay off my porch

#19 Mar 14, 2011
Arent we all confused here ?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#20 Mar 14, 2011
Auntie Social List wrote:
The bible is not that confusing, especially on the issue of gays
You're the problem
making up lies and crediting them to God. Shame on you!
Here's God sin list:
++++++++++
1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
3. Thou shalt keep holy the sabbath day
4. Honor thy father and thy mother
5. Thou shalt not kill
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery
7. Thou shalt not steal
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods
++++++++++
http://www.radixguys.com/warroom/tencommandme...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Englewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 24 min TomInElPaso 44,071
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 37 min Respect71 26,791
Tracy Pickerell calls for assassination 15 hr Know what they are 1
Why is story of NY lawyer who assaulted a woman... 19 hr Respect71 33
Mayor Dave Mayer makes History raising Highest ... 21 hr Recall Mayor Davi... 1
Mexicans (Mar '14) 21 hr Assquatch 115
manscaping Jan 11 meforu 1

Englewood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Englewood Mortgages