California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
Raydot

California City, CA

#3686 Jun 2, 2012
Just one one gallon milk jug will burn a light bulb for 11 hours. Recycle!!!! The junk mail accumulated at any post office in just one day is enough to power a city of 2 million for 50,000 years. Recycle!!!

Since: Sep 08

#3687 Jun 2, 2012
Raydot wrote:
Just one one gallon milk jug will burn a light bulb for 11 hours. Recycle!!!! The junk mail accumulated at any post office in just one day is enough to power a city of 2 million for 50,000 years. Recycle!!!
Gloop!
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#3689 Jun 3, 2012
-will-power- wrote:
the things of today ...
are the dreams of yesterday
-will-power-.

Actually, the things of today are the worst "drug induced" nightmare of the 60s 70s revolution. What a mess.

Ronald
California living

Carlsbad, CA

#3690 Jun 3, 2012
Let it be a matter of choice!

“Fix bayonettes!”

Since: Aug 08

#3691 Jun 3, 2012
California living wrote:
Let it be a matter of choice!
Racist!
NoBlamer 2012

Janesville, CA

#3692 Jun 4, 2012
thanks to the democrats

"California seeks to ban intelligence"

good job losers

if you want to see what democrats do to a thriving economy,

look at california

#3693 Jun 4, 2012
DBS

United States

#3694 Jun 7, 2012
Our theme for the next Fellowship will be "Living Sober and Living Green, The Intertwining Love Journey"

Please join me!

#3695 Jun 7, 2012
DBS wrote:
Our theme for the next Fellowship will be "Living Sober and Living Green, The Intertwining Love Journey"
Please join me!
Gloop?
DBS

United States

#3697 Jun 10, 2012
First they banned shampoo from airplane flights, and now they are banning carry-ons all together!!!!!

What will I do with all of my leftover bags?????????
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#3699 Jun 10, 2012
DBS wrote:
First they banned shampoo from airplane flights, and now they are banning carry-ons all together!!!!!
What will I do with all of my leftover bags?????????
DBS.

The drive to impose Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment taxes on increasingly impoverished American worker *("middle")* class women and men began in revolutionary controlled Long Beach, home to one of the most radical of the unbelievably wastefully expensive taxpayer funded California State universities. Like their Council protected Big Unionized Grocer pals who are now making a mint after competition from non-union grocers was eliminated UNDER PENALTY OF LAW!, Big Airlines are likely to get their just as corrupt politician pals to impose "regulatory" requirements that will be designed to outlaw carry on bags unless an additional "fee" is imposed.

Ronald
Kenny

San Diego, CA

#3702 Jun 11, 2012
Environmentally speaking, I agree, Single use plastic bags are not good. However, GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT of the solution and let PRIVATE Business drive the solution. It's FREE THAT WAY!!!!! Odds are Private Businesses could inject a positive solution that could easily encourage/motivate people to bring re-useable bags....some kind of financial reward to the customer would solve this asap. GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT of our lives!!! WE DON'T NEED NANNY TELLING/LEGISLATING US AT EVERY TURN!!!!
The Beast from the Feast

United States

#3703 Jun 11, 2012
I used to nibble on my leftover plastic bags when times were tough, now the government has taken that away from me :(
Steph

San Anselmo, CA

#3709 Jun 14, 2012
Torgo wrote:
<quoted text>So did I.
Gorzeeky?

“Fix bayonettes!”

#3710 Jun 14, 2012
Yes, Gorzeeky indeed.
hardnips

Pico Rivera, CA

#3711 Jun 14, 2012
The Beast from the Feast wrote:
I used to nibble on my leftover plastic bags when times were tough, now the government has taken that away from me :(
I made really cool tank tops out of them. Cut off the bottom and Wah Lah!

“Fix bayonettes!”

#3712 Jun 14, 2012
That's sooo cool.

“DECEPTION = MOST POWERFUL ”

Since: Jul 11

POLITICAL FORCE ON THE PLANET

#3713 Jun 15, 2012
One a them wouldn't fit on my arm. I threw them into the landfill.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3714 Jun 24, 2012
What a joke all of this is, I swear if people didn't have something to complain about they wouldn't have any purpose at all.

First it is nonsense to call them "single" use. They are used far more than once. They are used as trash bags in vehicles, bags for dirty diapers, picking up dog sh$$, carrying library books, holding news paper, holding empty soda cans, collecting Halloween candy and on and on!!

Second, wasn't it the "environmental"- emphasis on MENTAL- fools who told us we couldn't use biodegradable paper bags any more because we were destroying the forest?
Mike

United States

#3715 Jun 25, 2012
California is a communist state!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Encinitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Escondido rejects shelter for undocumented immi... Tue ronnie 2
CA Attorney General - critical Mon james marple 1
Mary Botto Artist (Aug '12) Oct 20 Lesley King 26
Why the helicopters in Discovery Hills last nig... Oct 17 Karen in San Marcos 1
Tar (Aug '13) Oct 15 BlackAroundMe 12
Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... Oct 10 stuffyasayd 46
Black, clear and subs Oct 10 Gob 3
Encinitas Dating
Find my Match

Encinitas Jobs