CVB will seek new Director

CVB will seek new Director

There are 10 comments on the Emporia Gazette story from Sep 5, 2012, titled CVB will seek new Director. In it, Emporia Gazette reports that:

The Emporia Chamber of Commerce and Convention and Visitors Bureau announced Tuesday that Betty James had resigned her position as director of the CVB.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Emporia Gazette.

dave jentry

United States

#1 Sep 6, 2012
resigned??? oh come on, her attudide go her ass fired, the truth will come out. and please create, why the love fest for her now? when she spent 10,000 dollars on the oprah magazine, you wanted he run out of town, and please corbin, tell us how much money she has spent drinking in your little bar. and corbin on another note, why the hell are you so wishy/washery on the forums, seems lie you are playing both sides, and when its get tough for you, you just tell everyone to move on, we stevie , kiss my ass and I will mark the spot, just keep sucking that oxegon bottle, or hell have another ciggerate

“Why is this so difficult?”

Since: Dec 09

timbuktu

#2 Oct 4, 2012
Sounds like the EG forums are the same old soap opera. Emporia's a pretty boring place, but when it makes the internet boring.....that's saying something.

REWBA

“RelaxEverythingW illBeAllright”

Since: Mar 11

Wichita, KS

#3 Oct 4, 2012
Hi oh4!

timbuktu

#4 Oct 4, 2012
Hey, REWBA! How are things?

timbuktu

#6 Oct 6, 2012
Oh, no problem! How did the gardening go this year? I'm glad you got the plants and the harvest in. I didn't plant anything this year and and nothing came back except the bulbs & tubers. They didn't look very good, so I don't expect much next year. I have some hyacinth bulbs waiting to plant and I've ordered some lily bulbs, but I'm unsure if I should hold off another year. I'm just not sure how long to expect this drought to continue.

timbuktu

#8 Oct 8, 2012
That sounds like an ambitious but good plan. I hope it works out to be less work and more harvest. How are those oil falls coming?? ;-)

timbuktu

#10 Oct 16, 2012
Haha, no I haven't seen the price of oil.....I can tell you groceries and cleaning supplies, though ;-) I am quite certain that fictional characters no longer in print don't have intellectual property so I think you'd be safe. It would be a creative use for used oil, though. I understand that stuff is hard to get rid of.....legally, anyway. Plus, it would be something we could advertise to get tourists to come spend money here, especially if we get that sales tax extended. Actually, I'm on the fence about that one. I think Phil Dillon has a point, but since Ks residents under a certain income get a refund of estimated sales tax they paid and that 1% doesn't add up to that much per individual, probably <$5 a month average, I don't know if it's that big of a deal. Of course, there is the principle of the matter. Oh! Did you know that one of the old EG gang is running for a position? It's probably been revealed and discussed over there, but I just found out when I saw the name on KVOE's news page.

timbuktu

#12 Oct 22, 2012
Well, I'm not exactly a do-it-myself-er when it comes to car things, so for all I know, there is an oil fairy that comes and magically switches my oil back to new or something.:-)
I knew you couldn't vote on the sales tax thing, but it does effect you. After some consideration, I think that I am in favor of the temporary and permanent residents who don't own real estate to help pay for the roads and sidewalks we all use. I also don't think it hits the wallets of the poorer set as much as some claim it does. I think methusla would notice it a lot more if his yearly tax bill was $25 or $50 higher. As for voting for him, I'm on the fence. He and I don't agree a lot on stuff, but we do agree some. I don't know how much I agree or disagree with the other candidate based on what little is in the interviews. You do make a great point about putting him in to punish the other commissioners.....especially that one who was a major player in the smoking ban. ;-)
I don't know what happened to seriouslyfolks. I miss his stuff sometimes too, but I thought a lot of it was irritating and obnoxious. When it wasn't, it was funny. I do know the person behind him to some extent, though not as much as some think. As far as I know, the person is alive and physically well and has moved on to other forums and activities to self-entertain through interactions with others. Some people just don't seem wired to bond to other people and that is my impression of that person.

timbuktu

#14 Oct 23, 2012
Well, I wouldn't say "nothing." We are getting that new sidewalk. ;-)

timbuktu

#16 Oct 24, 2012
In today's lack of relevant public education, Bill Engvall prophecied correctly: "Here's your sign!"

It seems ridiculous to me too. When I first saw them, they were down by Town Royal. Steve C. had been digging pretty hard at the city for dilapidated roads while opposing continuing or raising a sales tax....I don't remember which. Anyway, the signs were there for at least a week before work began on 4th Ave in that block and stayed for at least a month after it was done. I believed then and I believe now that those signs are a taxpayer-funded, childish retort to the taxpayers themselves. It hadn't even occurred to me to wonder whether or not the public knows that roads and sidewalks are built and repaired with taxes. I think the very taxpayers they were thumbing their noses at with those signs are the ones who understand what taxes are used for, while the apathetic ones truly don't. Unfortunately, I think most of Emporia's citizens are apathetic and no sign with a pointed remark toward the concerned citizens is going to change that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emporia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moving! Mar '17 Leslie 1
On deceptive little community... (Nov '16) Nov '16 nottoyourbenefit 1
Reproductions Partners Desk For Sale UK (Oct '16) Oct '16 hlhqntl 1
What to do when your loved one needs mental hea... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Jorgy 1
There's a controversial new book out, set in Em... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Mike Shapson 1
Hauntings in Emporia Ks (May '11) Nov '15 Penny 9
Debate: Gay Marriage - Emporia, KS (Dec '10) Nov '15 B rich 31

Emporia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Emporia Mortgages