Smoot/ FANESTIL owns over 50 acres of...

Smoot/ FANESTIL owns over 50 acres of LAND, buildon YOUR OWN LAND!!!!!!!!!!

Posted in the Emporia Forum

LOVED THE EMPORIA TIMES

United States

#1 Aug 24, 2011
Helping Project Move Forward
Moran visits Fanestil
Russ Morgan, [email protected]
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
■E-mail story
■Post a comment
■iPod friendly version
Representatives of the city and county, along with Dan and Jan Smoots, met on Monday evening with U.S. Senator Jerry Moran to discuss the process of appealing a FEMA grant to help move Fanestil Meats out of a flood plain to a new location.
Moran, who was passing through Emporia, was taken on a tour of the Fanestil plant prior to the meeting. He expressed interest in the project and spoke about ways in which he could help move the project along.
The county and Fanestil’s have until the end of this week to appeal a decision by FEMA to take back its $1.6 million grant for the project. The dispute lies in a technicality about the ownership of the property, according to Smoots.
“It’s a little bit of a misunderstanding on the parties involved in regard to the way everything was to be handled,” Smoots said.“The property never transferred from us to the county; FEMA said that it did. We still own the property, we still own the building. If the deed had been transferred, they would have wanted us to go on to the next step.”
While the parties involved agreed filing the appeal is an important step, they discussed ways to possibly avoid dealing with what could be a lengthy appeal process. Moran spoke of the importance of getting the county, the state and FEMA together to discuss possibilities.
“What we need is Region 7, FEMA, to take a big-picture approach to what’s going on here,” Moran said.“The goal from the very beginning was to get a business out of the flood plain and back in business.... My goal here is to see if there is a way to get FEMA and Lyon County together to determine what the facts are and the possibility that FEMA ought to reinstate the grant.”
One concern is the timeline, Smoots said, adding that he already has a builder standing by and he hopes to get construction started soon to avoid having to wait through the winter.
“If this thing drags on for two or three more months ... it could be May before we start pushing dirt,” he said.
A new location has already been chosen for the new plant on West Highway 50. According to the requirements of the grant, the old building was to be demolished and its land converted to green space.
Smoots said he is hopeful the parties can resolve the issue without wading through the appeal process.
“We think these technicalities can be resolved and we can get back on track,” Smoots said.“We’re very excited and pleased Mr. Moran is involved now and we’re looking forward to taking our company to the next level.”
Citizen

United States

#2 Aug 27, 2011
WOW, he does own over 60 acres of land, and its right out by HILL's dog food plant! wHY HAS NO ONE said anything about this???? this asshole wants the tax payers to pay 25000.00 an acre for land and he already owns that much!!!!! Wake the hell up people, fema, moran, city and county wake the hell up. If any one reads this, at least maybe you will pass the word along to others and question why he has not said a word about having land right across the road from menue, hills, and a large east side indrustral park on south weaver. he could of moved 10 years ago, SMOOTS and his old lady are sucking the taxpayers dry, so that they don't have to spend a damn dime of their own money, WAKE THE HELL UP PEOPLE
loved the emporia times

United States

#3 Aug 30, 2011
well,well, finally some one made a comment about smoots and his land dealings, I hope he willo be exposed for what he is trying to do and those how are backing him, finally ask WHY, yep, Menu has a tiny bit of smell, hell he is down by the river, across the river from Emporia's shit ponds, and he doesnt get any smell there the last 15 yearsw he has owned the place??? SMOOTH'S I hope people will see you for what you are and what you think that we all owe you, And another thing, a poster on another site said that you wanted access to I-35, have you ever looked out you dining room window and seen that large trucks do right by your land??? and besides, just how many semi loads of product do you ship a day, not that many do you, how about a damn study on that? just like your smell study, you kbow that there is no such study, your cover is blown boy.
loved the emporia times

Kansas City, MO

#4 Sep 2, 2011
Thanks, Mr. Dillon for posting a little about this guy and going a seeing it for your self,, Now if only some of the idiots who try and run the city and county would pull their heads out of the asses, maybe the tax payers of the city and county would not spend a damn dime on fanestils, he bought the place, he should spend some of his profits on moving. Whwn I bought my business, I never went to the city or county to get money to improve my business. what the hell makes him think that he should,, it to bad that the public do not see what is going on.

IF THE GAZETTE WOULD PRINT AN ARTICLE ABOUT HIM HAVING HIS OWN LAND, AND SHOW THE LOCATION, MAYBE MORE WOULD VOICE THE THOUGHTS, BUT WALKER IS PART OF THEM WHO HE HAS FOOLED, WHAT A SHAME, THE OFFICIAL NEWSPAPER OF LYON COUNTY, SHOULD THEY NOT BE PUBLISHING THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO THE PEOPLE OF LYON COUNTY, WHO PAY TAXES, AND SEE BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE,

I DONT THINK THEY WOULD BE VERY HAPPY KNOWING THAT HE OWN 75 ACRES OF LAND RIGHT BESIDE THE EAST INDRUSTRAL SITE BUT ITS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HIM,,,,,
cirizen

United States

#5 Sep 30, 2011
As everyday I continue to read the blogs on the gazette website about the city and fanastils. Those of you, Meth, and others, who are so good at writing on the blogs, why dont any of you actually get it printed in the gazette? is it because walker refuses to publish it? I would think that he would not have much choice, expecially if he has many articles on the subject. I am unable to do such a thing, as he has refused every article I have ever presented. BUT some one needs to get the story in the paper somehow, sp those who do not read the blogs will know what the city is doing. thank you very much and keep up the fight

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#6 Oct 1, 2011
That is Emporia and Lyon County Polities!
IF the cant make money on it or hired bunch of illegals for the job they dont want nothing to do with it! They are all bunch of criminals that are on the city commission and Lyon commissioners!
That is why Emporia is where it is today, NO jobs, cant keep the good people there, and they people are there now are part of the mexicans mafia or meth dealers
REWBA

Mount Hope, KS

#7 Oct 1, 2011
The land deal is just the start of the fleecing of Emporia. Next is the court costs involved in allowing Smoots to get his turds back to town. I say, when you think Fanistil, think shitpipe to nowhere.

Location hidden

#8 Oct 1, 2011
People, what is this SMOOT going to bring to Emporia, jobs yes, but if you look at his staff he dont pay nothing, so why are we really want this company around, because he dont do nothing for the company as paying his employees better than tyson!!
REWBA

Mount Hope, KS

#9 Oct 1, 2011
$1.6 million FEMA GRANT +$283,140 Taxpayer Purchased Land +$199,240 Sewer Pipe + 10 year Property Tax Abatement on a $4.7 million dollar facility.

Without counting the property tax loss from the old plant or the property tax loss from the new plant, taxpayers are still forking over $2,082,380. to keep 48 jobs paying $24K per year. Of course Fanestil's has about 65 employees right now but after Smoots get his modern taxpayer funded plant they will get to eliminate 17 jobs. These 48 low wage jobs are costing taxpayers $43,382.91 each but that's just to start. After the city pisses off the land owners between the city limit and their west side industrial park, taxpayers will be forced to pay the legal fees to allow Smoots turds to slide all the way back to his old plant. lol
LPetersen

Montréal, Canada

#10 Oct 25, 2011
People, what is this SMOOT going to bring to Emporia, jobs yes, but if you look at his staff he dont pay nothing, so why are we really want this company around, because he dont do nothing for the company as paying his employees better than tyson!!

Location hidden

#11 Oct 25, 2011
This company has never paid NOTHING, it was always about 2 bucks a hour behind Tyson!! And Tyson dont pay nothing and they won't anymore. IF Dolly stop production in Emporia, Tyson will drop there labor per hour so they can cash in more cheap labor!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emporia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Eagan? How do I get a hold of him Sep 5 Golconda 1
Olpe resident May '16 Kvirmani 1
What to do when your loved one needs mental hea... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Jorgy 1
Laura Weeks and the Judge and dirty politics (Jan '13) Feb '16 jeff 7
There's a controversial new book out, set in Em... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Mike Shapson 1
News Board hires high school principal (Apr '10) Nov '15 AHS_freshmenstudent 52
Hauntings in Emporia Ks (May '11) Nov '15 Penny 9

Emporia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Emporia Mortgages