Paul Was Sent To Preach Not Baptize ONLY

Paul Was Sent To Preach Not Baptize ONLY

Posted in the Emory Forum

Sosthenes

Greenville, TX

#1 Feb 13, 2013
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

(1Cor. 1:17) is a classic example of a "not/but" passage of grammar.

In other words, not so much this, as that.

The first element is not entirely negated but only toned down to bring forth the emphasis on the second.

What (1Cor.1:17) is actually saying is that Christ sent me not to baptize ONLY, but to preach the gospel.

We know that water baptism is a part of the gospel which saves by reading (Mark 16:15,16).

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved ...(Mark 16:15,16).

15....preach the gospel

15....to every creature.(Jew /Gentile)

16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...

We could go to (Mt. 10:19,20) which is a parallel passage to the "not/but" passage of (1Cor.1:17).

19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Were the apostles not speaking literally? Of course they were, they were just being led to speak by the Holy Spirit as (Jn 14:26 : 16:13) teaches.

If people force the same incorrect understanding on (Mt. 10:19,20) as they do (1Cor.1:17) then the apostles would not even be speaking with their own voice but with the very voice of God.

20. "For it is not ye that speak" ...(Mt. 10:20)

Was this the apostles voice men heard or the very voice of God? The fact is, it was Gods message they heard through the apostles voice.

gbntv.org

theancientplan.com
William

Atlanta, GA

#2 Feb 13, 2013
So why did Paul even have to show up at all? Christ had 11 personally trained disciples (12 when Mathias was added) to go unto all the world and to preach the gospel. Crystal clear marching orders, he gave them.

Then he goes and gets this other guy. A blasphemous, hateful, mass-murdering Pharisee. Why do you suppose Christ felt the need to do something like that when he already had disciples who had stuck with him through thick and thin?
Sosthenes

Greenville, TX

#3 Feb 13, 2013
William wrote:
So why did Paul even have to show up at all? Christ had 11 personally trained disciples (12 when Mathias was added) to go unto all the world and to preach the gospel. Crystal clear marching orders, he gave them.
Then he goes and gets this other guy. A blasphemous, hateful, mass-murdering Pharisee. Why do you suppose Christ felt the need to do something like that when he already had disciples who had stuck with him through thick and thin?
It proves even the most dangerous person who may have at one time been as far from God as one could get spiritually is able to submit to the will of God and repent of the ugly unkind things he once did and shine bright as a disciple of Christ.

I have used the apostle Paul many times as an example for those who think they have committed so many ugly sins they think God would never forgive them.

The grace of God can forgive any sin but one must first repent (Luke 13;3)(Luke 17:3,4).

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

In (Luke 17:3,4) you will find the word "if".

In (Mt. 18:15-17) five times you will find the word "if".

The word "if" means "upon the condition that".

This proves man must do something to be saved.

(Acts 2:40) proves man must do his part in the plan of salvation. "Save yourselves from this untoward generation."

No sin will be forgiven without the sinner first repenting of that sin (Luke 13:3).

Many have the idea all the alien sinner must do is say a prayer and all will be forgiven by God, that is not truth and it is not found in the NT.

Once a person has become a child of God and he falls into a life of continual sin as described in (Heb. 10:26), he THEN can say a prayer to be forgiven by God just as (1Jn 1:9) says.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

But this is only for the child of God, not an alien sinner.

The alien sinner cannot say a prayer to become a child of God (regardles of how many people teach this error).

If man is willing to do as the Lord commands grace is abundant for all those who obey (Heb.5:9)(Acts 10:34,35)(Acts 2:40).

(Rom. 6:16-18)

16. Decide who to serve.

17. Obey that form of doctrine delivered.(Rom. 6:3-6)

18. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.(a Christian)

theancientplan.com

gbntv.org

Sosthenes

Greenville, TX

#4 Feb 13, 2013
I would like to add one other thing to my post above.

The Apostle Paul ended up writing 3/4 of the NT will of Christ.

Do you still wonder why the Lord chose Saul to be the apostle Paul?

theancientplan.com

thetruthinlove.com

gbntv.org
William

Birmingham, AL

#5 Feb 13, 2013
I know exactly why God chose Paul.

Paul was given the revelation of the mystery. None of the 12 knew about this, and it is not found anywhere in the OT.

Ephesians 2 and 3 explain it.
William

Birmingham, AL

#6 Feb 13, 2013
And Paul was given a specific gospel to preach.

Romans 2:16 says so.

What is that gospel?

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Not the same thing as Mark 13, 16 or Matthew 24, 28. Not even close.
The Only Church

Greenville, TX

#7 Mar 1, 2013
Notice Mark (16:15,16) says baptism is a part of the gospel which saves.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.(Mark 16:15,16)

...preach the gospel to every creature

16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.(Jas. 2:24)

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?(Jas. 2:20)

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.(Jas. 2:17)

Those who teach a faith "alone" salvation are teaching a DEAD faith saves.

whybaptism.org

gbntv.org

Sosthenes

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#8 May 31, 2013
(Gal. 1:6-9) for all time proves there is only one gospel.

There is NOT ANOTHER.

Paul did not teach one gospel and Peter another and (Gal. 1:6-9) proves the two different gospels wrong.

beingsaved.org

What Does The Bible Say? with Johnny
William

Birmingham, AL

#9 Jun 1, 2013
"(Gal. 1:6-9) for all time proves there is only one gospel."

That's not what my KJV says regarding that verse. Or what is described in Galatians 2 regarding "the gospel."

You really need to get yourself a Bible, not a book that calls itself a Bible.

Sosthenes

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#10 Jun 10, 2013
Question: Did Paul baptize?

14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;

15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.(1Cor.1:14)

Paul baptized the following people.

Crispus and Gaius;

the household of Stephanas:

Possibly others Paul says

The only way to understand (1Cor.1:17) is to harmonize the previous confession Paul did baptize some people. If God told him not to baptize at all and as we see Paul did so,he disobeyed Gods command. I do not see that happening.

37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.(1Cor.14:37)

beingsaved.org
Joan

Carrollton, TX

#11 Sep 29, 2013
Paul did baptize someone right?
William

Birmingham, AL

#12 Sep 30, 2013
"Paul did baptize someone right?"

He sure did. He also laid hands on 12 certain disciples in order for them to be able to get the Holy Spirit. He raised a boy from the dead. He spoke in tongues.

But he wasn't sent to do any of those things. What was he sent specifically to do?
William

Birmingham, AL

#13 Sep 30, 2013
The Baptist doctrine: "Paul wasn't sent PRIMARILY to baptize."

The Catholic/Church of Christ/Pentecostal/Assembly of God doctrine: "Paul wasn't sent to baptize because he knew that the people in their local assemblies would be baptized by a gospel priest/preacher/elder/deacon, and he didn't want to usurp their authority."

Both stances are flat-out wrong.
William

Birmingham, AL

#14 Sep 30, 2013
What was Paul SENT to do.
Sosthenes

Emory, TX

#17 Jan 13, 2014
William wrote:
I know Paul did baptize by reading (1Cor.1:14-16).

16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Surely Paul did not disobey a command of the Lord (1Cor.14:37).

37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Paul was sent to do just as all Christians should be doing according to (Mt. 28:18-20)(Mark 16:15,16)( Jn 3:3-6)(1Peter 3:20,21)(Col. 2:12)(Heb. 10:22)(Heb. 5:9)

I know Paul taught Jews by reading (1Cor.18:8).

5.... Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ....

8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

What did Paul teach?

16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.(Acts 22:16)

thegospelofchrist.com

arisetotruth.com

whybaptism.org
William

Birmingham, AL

#18 Jan 14, 2014
Sosthenes

Emory, TX

#21 Jan 21, 2014
William wrote:
I know what Paul did.

(1Cor.1:14-16)- 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Did Paul disobey the Lord by baptizing those in verses 14-16?

Or did Paul obey the Lord by teaching truth (Acts 22:16) and proceed to carry out exactly what he preached?
(Mt. 28:18-20)

(Mark 16:15,16)

(Rom. 6:16-18)

(Rom. 6:3-6)

(1Peter 3:20,21)

(Gal. 3:27)

(Heb. 10:22)

(Col.2:12)

(Jn 3:3-5)

(Jn 3:19)- 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

(Acts 8:35-39)- 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

arisetotruth.com

whybaptism.org

gbntv.org

thegospelofchrist.com

Free DVDs
Free DVDs
Sosthenes

Caddo Mills, TX

#22 Jan 24, 2014
William wrote:
The Baptist doctrine: "Paul wasn't sent PRIMARILY to baptize."
The Catholic/Church of Christ/Pentecostal/Assembly of God doctrine: "Paul wasn't sent to baptize because he knew that the people in their local assemblies would be baptized by a gospel priest/preacher/elder/deacon, and he didn't want to usurp their authority."
Both stances are flat-out wrong.
Like many who consider themselves to be wise you also are incorrect as to what members of the church of Christ teach on the topic of immersion in water(baptism).(Acts 2:38)(Acts 2:47)(Acts 22:16)(Gal. 3:27)(1Peter3:20,21)(Heb. 10:22)(Rom. 6:3-6)

Please do more diligent research before you try to pin a certain doctrine on members of the church of Christ.

(Acts 17:11)(Jn 5:39)(1Jn 4:1-6)(1Thess.5:21)

arisetotruth.com

gbntv.org

thegospelofchrist.com

FREE DVDs
FREE DVDs
FREE DVDs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does The Church of Christ Teach? (Jun '13) Nov 28 Sosthenes 350
fem here for guys Nov 24 Username 2
A Guide To Find The True Church (Jun '13) Oct '16 Smitty K 5
rains dist. attorney abuse of office (Dec '07) Sep '16 You Loser 49
DON'T rent from Featherbrook Apartments in Emory (Jul '09) Sep '16 Inquisitor 10
News Erin Caffey and Charlie Wilkinson (Jul '09) Jul '16 timothy64 52
Vic Parpart bulldogs (Aug '09) Jul '16 Coy matlock 100

Emory Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Emory Mortgages