Truth over Reason

United States

#45 Apr 16, 2010

People have been taught they are saved by an "experience" rather that truth.

I would point each of these people to (1Tim.2:4)(John 17:17)(2Peter 2:20)(2Tim.3:14-17).

These scriptures speak about truth, coming to a knowledge of truth, being cleansed by truth, being sanctified by truth and also defines what truth actually is, it is the word of God (the bible).

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.(2Tim.3:15)

...thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation ...

20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ,...(2Peter 2:20)

... they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord ...

In the realm of religion many people are taught NOT to pay attention to truth. They are told truth is not what saves, rather man is saved by an "experience". But what does the words of God above say?(Rom.10:17)(Eph.3:3,4)

What was Saul told in (Acts 9:1-6)? He had just had an experience with the lord YET, three days later we find Saul (the apostle Paul) still in his sins. He had to listen to the message of truth to know what to do to about his sins (Acts 22:16)(Acts 2:36-47). He had to listen to a preacher according to (2Cor.4:7)(Rom.10:14)(2Tim.2:2 ).

So many people are taught to place emotions over reasoning. Note (Jer.10:23)(Prov 14:12)(Prov.3:5). This idea totally opposes what the bible teaches (Rom.6:16-18)(Rom.12:1,2)(2Cor .3:18)(Eph.3:3,4).

thetruthinlove.com

Since: Oct 08

Danville, VA

#46 Apr 16, 2010
JB Good said "Handling God's Word Deceitfully"

And listed a link, now assuming this is Johnny Roberson himself or one of his followers let me ask a question!

If Johnny R spoke about people getting to see believers standing before unbelievers when talking about the upcomming trial of his son for trespassing is it deceitful to talk about believers going before court as being wrong when in fact the passage that talks about that also calls them brothers when you have declared you are not the brother of the people taking him to court?

believer=brother

1 Cor 6:1Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and (A)not before the saints?

2Or (B)do you not know that (C)the saints will judge (D)the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts?

3(E)Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?

4So if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church?

5(F)I say this to your shame Is it so, that there is not among you one wise man who will be able to decide between his (G)brethren,

6but brother goes to law with brother, and that before (H)unbelievers?

Do is it being deceitful to try and act like you are a brother when decrying being taken to court when you are not their brother?

Danville, VA

#47 Apr 16, 2010
"Do is it being" should be "So is it being"

Danville, VA

#48 Apr 16, 2010
Heath said:
"Here's a Suggested Prayer
:

"Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and I do not deserve eternal life. But, I believe You died and rose from the grave to purchase a place in Heaven for me. Jesus, come into my life, take control of my life, forgive my sins and save me. I am now placing my trust in You alone for my salvation and I accept your free gift of eternal life."

This is a false plan of salvation from a Baptist web site. It's the "sinner's prayer" and it's not God's plan of salvation."

So Heath tell us was Abraham justified before or after circumcision per Paul's teaching? If it was before when was he justified before God?

When was Cornelius justified before God?
An Experience

United States

#49 Apr 18, 2010
Isn't conversion an encounter or an experience rather than following truth?

I have heard this before and what I understand them to be saying is that they have already been saved BEFORE water immersion.

People claim the act of being immersed in water is to show the world you have already had an encounter with the Lord (kinda like the apostle Paul in Acts 9).

But what does the bible say? It says something much different than what most people say. I had rather agree with the Lord once than to agree with man 1000 times.

Let us look to the bible for our answer.

The Jews in (Acts 2), some of who killed Jesus according to Peter in (Acts 2:36), asked what they needed to do about the sin of crucifying Jesus (killing an innocent man).

They were told to say a prayer and they would be saved, is that what (Acts 2:38) says? No, it is not, but that is what most people teach isn't it. We want to agree with Jesus don't we! To do this we must agree with His word (the bible)(John 12:48)(John 17:17).

Here is what they were told in (Acts 2:38).

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,...

This sounds much different from what most preachers say today on Sunday mornings in the pulpit doesn't it. They were NOT told to have an experience and then say a prayer and then go be baptized to show the world you are already saved. That is not what the bible says (1Peter 4:11). The Bible nowhere says to do such a thing. If God did not say it, who do you think came up with such a thing?

Let s look at another verse.

(Acts 22:16)-

1. Arise

2. Be Baptized

3. Wash Away Your sins

Didn't Paul have an encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus in (Acts 9:1-6))? If that encounter saved him from his sins, WHY does he still have his sins three days later in (Acts 22:16)?

Let us follow the word of God instead of what men say (Gal.1:10).

I like what Paul said in (1Cor.11:1).

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

If we are going to be imitating (or following) a man, we best make sure that man is following Jesus.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; (Mark 16:15,16).

Believe + Be Baptized (immersed in water)= Saved (Mark 16:16)

The Unique Church

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2246

thetruthinlove.com

Danville, VA

#50 Apr 19, 2010
Mark 16 the longer version is an addition of man!

Deut 18 shows us how to tell truth and who is speaking for God, In Mark there is a prophet statement about being able to drink poison and not be harmed, yet the Apostles never did such a thing.

How is it that Jesus can speak a prophetic word and it fail to come true? You have two choices, you can continue to follow the longer ending of Mark but to do so you make Jesus a false Prophet per Deut 18, or you can see the truth of the fact this longer ending was added by man!
Be Wise

United States

#51 Apr 21, 2010
walkinginlove wrote:
Mark 16 the longer version is an addition of man!
Deut 18 shows us how to tell truth and who is speaking for God, In Mark there is a prophet statement about being able to drink poison and not be harmed, yet the Apostles never did such a thing.
How is it that Jesus can speak a prophetic word and it fail to come true? You have two choices, you can continue to follow the longer ending of Mark but to do so you make Jesus a false Prophet per Deut 18, or you can see the truth of the fact this longer ending was added by man!
You Say - "In Mark there is a prophet statement about being able to drink poison and not be harmed, yet the Apostles never did such a thing."

Me - You are assuming the apostles did not drink poison. They wanted these apostles dead because of what they were teaching. Can you be so sure that someone did not try to poison them? No you cannot.

Your assumptions are very dangerous.

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.(Mark 16:20)

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.(Prov.3:5)

http://missionprinting.us/

Click on Publications

Scroll Down and pick a topic
Agape Love

United States

#52 Apr 22, 2010
COC Before Campbell

United States

#53 Apr 30, 2010
Justin Christ

United States

#55 May 9, 2010
If you will notice any conversion in the book of Acts you will find that each one of these people were taught the very same gospel.

The Corinthians were told to (Acts 18:8).

...and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

Saul (the apostle Paul) heard a message preached by a man (Ananias) in (Acts 22:16)

10 And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.(Acts 22:10)

16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.(Acts 22:16)

Notice the Samaritans in (Acts 8:5,12,13,26-39).

5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip,

Notice the Ethiopian Eunuch.

Understandest thou what thou readest?(Acts 8:30)

How can I, except some man should guide me?(Acts 8:31)

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

...See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

In each conversion you will notice one person told another person how to be saved (2Cor.4:7).

7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

This treasure (the gospel) is preached by men to other men according to (2Tim.2:2). A heavenly vessel never tells a man (an earthly vessel) directly what to do to be saved. The reason is found in (2Cor.4:7).

The Lord has designated that man is to preach to man (Rom.10:14,15,17). This is a principle which will stand till the end of time.

In all of the book of Acts, not one time did anyone tell another to pray for Salvation or pray into Christ (Gal.3:27). So why do we allow people to teach such a thing to our friends and family today.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.(Gal.3:27)

11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; (1Peter 4:11)

http://searchingfortruth.org
Nova

United States

#56 May 11, 2010

The Matter of Baptismal Regeneration

http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/416-...
Bobby

Dallas, TX

#57 May 11, 2010
Nova wrote:
The Matter of Baptismal Regeneration
http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/416-...
Wayne Jackson starts off this way:
Is the doctrine of “baptismal regeneration” scriptural? In order to answer such a question, one first must define precisely what he means by that designation.

Exactly what is “baptismal regeneration”? The phrase connotes different things to different people. For some, the expression is merely a bit of inflammatory rhetoric designed to intimidate those who affirm that baptism is a part of the regeneration process.

Bobby replies:
He calls it inflammatory because he gets rebuked for teaching it.

Secondly he says baptism is a part of the regeneration process. No need to read any father for two reasons. One is that regeneration is an event called justification, not a process. Two is that is baptism is not part of (regeneration) justification. We are saved by grace through faith, not of ourselves it is the gift of God.

http://vodpod.com/watch/938858-4-14-salvation...
1Peter 3-20

Quinlan, TX

#58 May 13, 2010
...eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)

Bobby denies what is plainly wrote in the bible. He says water did not save Noah and his family. Satan just added the word "not" while speaking to Eve and he deceived her by just adding that one word "not". But what does (1Peter 3:20) say?

vs 20 speaks of water saving Noah and his family.

vs 21 says, 21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us ...

This is boring to you Bobby b/c you deny what the word of God plainly teaches. I hope you repent and come back to the Lords church, for He only has one church according to (1Cor.12:13,20)(Eph.5:23-29)(C ol.1:18,24).

searchingfortruth.org
Bobby

Dallas, TX

#59 May 13, 2010
1Peter 3-20 wrote:
...eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)
Bobby denies what is plainly wrote in the bible. He says water did not save Noah and his family. Satan just added the word "not" while speaking to Eve and he deceived her by just adding that one word "not". But what does (1Peter 3:20) say?
vs 20 speaks of water saving Noah and his family.
vs 21 says, 21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us ...
This is boring to you Bobby b/c you deny what the word of God plainly teaches. I hope you repent and come back to the Lords church, for He only has one church according to (1Cor.12:13,20)(Eph.5:23-29)(C ol.1:18,24).
searchingfortruth.org
How can you miss the easy stuff like this? You have totally ignored that Noah was saved by being in the ark that floated on the water that God sent to destroy the people of the earth. Water was the destructive force and the ark is a symbol of being in Christ. Peter says water baptism is a symbol for something invisible and is intended for a good conscience toward God. I'm sorry if you choose to believe campbell rather than the bible.
Dunked Wet

Quinlan, TX

#60 May 13, 2010
Michael Shepherd delivered a very good sermon on the
"Uniqueness of the Life of Christ"

He made some very good points as to why man must be baptized correctly.

http://www.horsecavecoc.com/audio.htm
Dunked Wet

Quinlan, TX

#61 May 13, 2010
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you miss the easy stuff like this? You have totally ignored that Noah was saved by being in the ark that floated on the water that God sent to destroy the people of the earth. Water was the destructive force and the ark is a symbol of being in Christ. Peter says water baptism is a symbol for something invisible and is intended for a good conscience toward God. I'm sorry if you choose to believe campbell rather than the bible.
It is you Bobby who are ignoring (and opposing) the word of God.

...in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)

This speaks of water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (1Peter 3:21)

This speaks of water. Note (Acts 2:38 ; 8:38,39 ; 22:16)(Heb.10:22)(Titus 3:5)(Gal.3:27).

(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

And the last part of verse 21 also speaks of water.

But what amazes me is that Bobby opposes the word of God which plainly says water saved Noah and his family (eight souls).

eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)

48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.(John 12:48)

Bobby

Dallas, TX

#62 May 13, 2010
Nova pay attention:

New International Version (©1984)
who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,

New Living Translation (©2007)
those who disobeyed God long ago when God waited patiently while Noah was building his boat. Only eight people were saved from drowning in that terrible flood.

English Standard Version (©2001)
because they formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

My point is that most translations do not say "by water". They say through water or brought safely through the water.

Even the one you use does not give the water the power to save.

You never did (after umpteen times) answer as to why God sent the flood? In other words, did god send the flood water to save Noah? What was the Ark for?

Now, I know you know the answer but are not willing to be wrong. Think outside the coc box!
Saved By Water

Quinlan, TX

#63 May 14, 2010
in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)

True or False

Saved By Water

Quinlan, TX

#64 May 14, 2010
I am not saying nor do I contend that water "alone" saved Noah and his family.

I do not believe or teach that the word of God teaches that water "alone" saved Noah and his family.

Noah was saved by grace.

Noah was saved by obedience to the instructions God gave him.

Noah was saved by The Love of God

So do not say we (coC) teach water "alone" saved Noah and his family. That is not true.

Bobby

Dallas, TX

#65 May 14, 2010
Saved By Water wrote:
in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.(1Peter 3:20)
True or False
1 pet 3:20
who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

Why did God send the flood?

Did Noah get dunked in water? Did he even get wet?

Why was Noah in the ark?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does The Bible Say? (Oct '13) Sat Sosthenes 30
Is The Kingdom of God on Earth Today (Sep '12) Apr 23 marvian 47
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 22 Fart 798
Bible Information Apr 22 Sosthenes 3
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 18 Fart Smoke 633
tougher judges needed Apr 15 Cindy Holbrook 1
Christian Zionism (Oct '14) Apr 8 BillieFae 55
More from around the web

Emory People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]