Know the Truth
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

United States

#1 Jan 8, 2008
God's people today aren't called Baptist, Methodist or Pentecostal.

They are called Christians (Acts 11:26).

The churches of Christ greet you. Rom 16:16

United States

#2 Jan 11, 2008
(John 8:31,32)- 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Plano, TX

#3 Jan 22, 2008
Are you ready to accept the gift of eternal life that Jesus is offering you right now? If it is your sincere desire to ask Jesus to come into your heart as your personal Lord and Savior, then talk to God from your heart:

Here's a Suggested Prayer:

"Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and I do not deserve eternal life. But, I believe You died and rose from the grave to purchase a place in Heaven for me. Jesus, come into my life, take control of my life, forgive my sins and save me. I am now placing my trust in You alone for my salvation and I accept your free gift of eternal life."

This is a false plan of salvation from a Baptist web site. It's the "sinner's prayer" and it's not God's plan of salvation.

Acts 22:15-16
And now why do you delay? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.

United States

#4 Jan 23, 2008
So are you saying that those who follow this "sinners prayer" would fall into the category of "the blind following the blind"? According to (Mt.15:9,14).

9. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

14. they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Arlington, TX

#5 Jan 29, 2008
Nova wrote:
So are you saying that those who follow this "sinners prayer" would fall into the category of "the blind following the blind"? According to (Mt.15:9,14).
9. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
14. they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
The sinner's prayer is not found once in the conversion accounts in the book of Acts.

It is the blind leading the blind.

United States

#6 Feb 21, 2008
This sounds very serious for all the people who have been taught they can be saved by saying a prayer.

Emory, TX

#7 Jan 8, 2009

Emory, TX

#8 Mar 5, 2009

Are Logic and Scripture Compatible? Part #1

By Jason Jackson

Some religionists are opposed to “using logic” or “reason” concerning spiritual things. We are informed, by these guardians of rational thought, that the use of logic is the reason for much of the division in the church today.

This position is perplexing, for those who reject the use of “reason,” reason that binding “our conclusions” produces much of the religious division today. We are supposed to be bound, therefore, to the position that logical conclusions cannot be bound.
Listen to the words of Paul, the inspired logician:

For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse”(Rom. 1:20 ESV).

First, notice the paradox in Paul’s inspired statement. We can perceive the invisible. The order of the universe, the design of the created order, and the sense of moral obligation of mankind—these components of the created world—all testify to the Cause that is eternal, intelligent, powerful, and divine. And although we cannot see God himself, we can know that he exists with absolute certainty.

Dr. E. A. Maness stated the matter correctly:

“If the word ‘God’ were written upon every blowing leaf, embossed on every passing cloud, engraved on every granite rock, the inductive evidence of God in the world would be no stronger than it is”(The Evidence of God in an Expanding Universe, 12).

We cannot see the divine nature. No man ever has (Jn. 1:18). But seeing the effect of divine power necessarily implies the Divine Cause.
Second, consider the principle. Paul affirms that we can see the unseen by reasoning from the facts of creation. This, the apostle calls, a “clear perception.” The word translated “perceived” means “to perceive with the mind”(W.E. Vine, Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, 855). It is related to the word nous—mind.
Paul says we must use our minds. We must consider the evidence of creation, and we must draw the only logical conclusion warranted by the evidence. Those who think otherwise are in an indefensible position (i.e., are without excuse). Jack Cottrell observes,“On a common-sense level, when we view the wonders of nature we just intrinsically infer a powerful Creator as their source (Commentary on Romans, 1.142).

Emory, TX

#9 Mar 5, 2009
Are Logic and Scriptures Compatible? Part #2

Reasoning Applied

Observe how the principle of biblical reasoning is illustrated throughout the Scriptures. Paul argued that since we are the offspring of God, we “ought not to think” that the Godhead is like gold, silver, or stone, artfully carved from man’s imagination (Acts 17:28-29). Living human beings do not owe their origin to inert matter.
And what was the crowd in Capernaum expected to perceive about Christ when he healed a man whose sins he had just forgiven (Mark 2:1-12)? What should we reasonably conclude from the record of the Lord’s miracles (John 20:30-31)?

What about baptizing infants? You may believe one thing, and I another. But how can we discern the biblical truth? Either infants need baptism, or they do not. Brethren have soundly argued that since candidates for baptism must believe and repent (cf. Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38), this necessarily excludes infants. They can neither believe nor repent. Likewise, baptism is for sinners (Acts 22:16), and babies have no guilt of sin because they have not committed any sin (cf. Matthew 19:14; James 1:13-15).

The scriptural conclusion demanded by these biblical truths is this: infants are not proper subjects for New Testament baptism. That biblical conclusion is just as binding as a direct prohibition against infant baptism.

A basic historical example demonstrates the principle. Lot returned to Canaan with Abraham and Sarah (Genesis 13:1). But the Bible nowhere says that Lot went down into Egypt. The biblical information that we have, however,(i.e., Lot came from Ur with Abraham. Lot came out of Egypt with Abraham.) necessarily implies that Lot went into Egypt.

Here is the principle. Sufficient evidence warrants a reasonable conclusion. Often it is the case that such conclusions are necessary in biblical studies—our salvation being dependent on them (cf. Romans 1:20; Hebrews 6:11). So powerful is the evidence, so mandatory is the conclusion, that to ignore it is inexcusable.

Just as God holds us accountable for drawing the proper conclusion from the world of creation, so he binds upon us the obligation to “handle aright the word of truth”(2 Timothy 2:15).

Plano, TX

#10 Apr 4, 2009
An atheist was walking through the woods.
'What majestic trees'!
'What powerful rivers'!
'What beautiful animals'!
He said to himself.

As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned to look. He saw a 7-foot grizzly bear charge towards him.

He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder & saw that the bear was closing in on him.

He looked over his shoulder again, & the bear was even closer. He tripped & fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw that the bear was right on top of him, reaching for him with his left paw & raising his right paw to strike him.

At that instant the Atheist cried out,'OH MY GOD!'

Time Stopped. The bear froze.
The forest was silent.

As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky.'You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to cosmic accident.''Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer'?

The atheist looked directly into the light,'It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian'?

'Very Well,' said the voice.

The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed. And the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together, bowed his head & spoke:

'Lord bless this food, which I am about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen.'
Daddy Twice

United States

#11 May 18, 2009
Do you believe we can know the truth? If so where is that truth found?
Truth In Love

Plano, TX

#12 Aug 1, 2009
In John 3:16, Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." You can think you believe in Jesus Christ, and even call Him Lord, but still not go to heaven. Some people act like they don't know what believe means. Pisteuo means believe but it also means be committed unto. Therefore, this believing in Jesus Christ is not a one-time deal and it's all over with. You must be committed unto Him or else you are no longer a believer. Pisteuo also means the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul. That means when we believe in Jesus Christ, His power within us drives us to have a distinctively superior advantage of having our souls obey His moral law.

It's the same word for believe in Ephesians 1:19, where like above it is also in the present tense. God's great power of our final redemption will not work in those who once upon a time believed in Jesus Christ, but in those who continue to believe in Him. The words not believe in John 3:36 and Romans 15:31 come from the Greek word apeitheo. It actually means be disobedient or not to comply with. So a true believer is one who keeps obeying Christ with a faithful, continuous action.~ He who believes in the Son has everlasting life.(John 3:36) But one who does not keep obeying His word and living a godly life, by no longer being committed to Him, is not a true believer.~ He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him (Hebrews 5:9).

Since: Mar 09

United States

#13 Aug 1, 2009
Where are the Dunlaps?
Who Is the Antichrist

United States

#15 Aug 8, 2009

1 John 2:18 – Who Is the Antichrist?

November 16, 2001

Dispensationalism, which is currently the most popular form of premillennialism, has much to say about “the Antichrist.” According to these theologians, the Antichrist is a man, now living, who will soon rise to the position of a world-wide dictator.

In his book, The Late Great Planet Earth (Zondervan, 1970), Hal Lindsey asserts that the Antichrist will come to power just prior to the return of Christ (p. 140), which, he asserts, will occur during this generation (p. 133).
This view finds absolutely no support in the Bible. The term antikristos is found five times in four New Testament passages — all in John’s epistles (1 John 2:18,22; 4:3; 2 John 7). It is quite significant that Lindsey, though devoting a whole chapter to the “Antichrist,” never once alludes to these verses (pp. 87-102). The reason is obvious; the biblical information on this topic is not in harmony with his fanciful theory.
Consider the following factors.

First, there is no one specific person denominated “the antichrist” in the New Testament. Rather, John declares that “many antichrists” have arisen (1 John 2:18; 2 John 7).

Second, the Bible does not suggest that a mysterious antichrist is some sinister personage who is to appear in the late twentieth century. There were many antichrists in the first century.“... even now,” affirms the apostle,“have there arisen many antichrists”(1 John 2:18; 4:3).

A careful analysis of John’s references to “antichrist” reveals that the term is a general designation employed to suggest a spirit of unbelief that can be manifested in a variety of ways, both in the past and present.

Thus, in 1 John 2:18, underline the term “antichrist,” and in your margin note: See vs. 22; 4:3; 2 John 7. A general disposition of unbelief; not a specific person.
Teach Truth Rightly

Emory, TX

#16 Oct 2, 2009
In (Mt 22:16,17) we read the following.

Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth,

17 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

To teach truth is to teach if something is lawful..

Notice what we read in (Luke 20:21).

21 And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest rightly,

To teach truth is to teach what is right and to teach what is right is to teach what is lawful.

Truth = Lawful = commands of the Lord

Notice in (1Cor.14:37),

37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

The commands of the Lord are in fact truth (John 17:17)(Ps.119:172).

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

It is no wonder that (Acts 11:14) says,

13....Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter; 14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

Also note (Acts 2:38),

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel,...(2Thess.2:14)

Fort Worth, TX

#17 Oct 4, 2009
Heath and Nova (from Plano) exchanging dialog and Nova pretending to be someone else in several posts. you two are a sad duo!

Quinlan, TX

#18 Oct 7, 2009

It seems you're fixated upon the people posting rather than the message.

You do not personally know the people, so you must not like the message.

24 And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.(Acts 28:24)

click on Publications

JB Good

United States

#19 Dec 2, 2009

I am increasingly hearing the truth found within the bible will not save man. Some say many people heard Jesus speak truth but did not respond to that truth. So they claim it must not be truth that saves, else all the people Jesus preached to would have been saved.

The word of God places the emphasis upon the soil instead of the sower (Luke 8:5-15).

12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

There is a message which will help save men if the whole cousel of God is taught (Acts 11:14 ; 20:27).

14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.(Acts 11:14)

Searching For Truth
JB Good

United States

#21 Dec 11, 2009
Handling God's Word Deceitfully

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

0 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.(Isa.55:8-11)

Click on Publications

Scroll down and pick out a question
JB Good

United States

#22 Dec 11, 2009
What Is The Church Of Christ?

D. Ellis Walker

Click on Publications

Scroll down and pick out a question

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does The Church of Christ Teach? (Jun '13) 54 min William 130
Michael Cook is a liar and thief (Jun '14) Mon NOT COOL 3
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 19 Video farts 835
Are The church of Christ The Only Ones Going to... (Nov '12) Nov 19 Sosthenes 45
News Quitman business owners wanted on theft charges (Mar '11) Nov 17 TAJ 24
Free TV No More? Nov 7 Jane 1
high speed chase Nov 3 tax payer 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Emory Mortgages