Local Libraries Deal With Budget Woes

Local Libraries Deal With Budget Woes

There are 5 comments on the WFMZ story from Jan 13, 2010, titled Local Libraries Deal With Budget Woes. In it, WFMZ reports that:

Pennsylvania's budget cuts are putting the squeeze on local libraries. Those libraries are trying to make do with a cut in cash and an influx of patrons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

tyler

Allentown, PA

#1 Feb 22, 2011
why are there budget cuts?
Ray

Marcus Hook, PA

#2 Feb 26, 2011
tummer time...funny typo
Insert Some Quarters

Allentown, PA

#3 Feb 26, 2011
Who goes to a library?
Libraries are where pay phones are. Obsolete.

Close the libraries, auction off the books and send that cash to the State Capitol.
Ray

Marcus Hook, PA

#4 Feb 26, 2011
Not yet obsolete... the Solehi library more often than not is a busy place. Especially useful in these tough times. I chose to cancel my home phone and internet. The library gives me a place where I can still go online for career builder, email, etc.

Since: Feb 11

Reading, PA

#5 Feb 26, 2011
The library has become little more than a glorified computer lab for many people.

For low income people who can't afford a cell phone, there is a government subsided program SafeLink that provides a cell phone and service, including texting and voice mail, at no cost.

And as for applying for jobs on-line, mnay counties and cities in the U.S. have local job career centers that can help in that process.

Most libraries will cease to exist in the near future. And for those that do survive, many will become akin to community centers with little emphasis on books.

Ron

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emmaus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,262,172
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 37 min cpeter1313 310,318
RTPD Cams 17 hr Kathryn Munson 1
Review: Redtrailers.Com Inc (Sep '09) 22 hr dynosteve 15
News Quakertown begins planning for community center Mon In the Know 38
Local dump/landfill? Mon Sara Killinger 4
rtbos & cold storage Mon Richard Leakey 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Emmaus Mortgages