Area communities consider extending smoking ban to open-air loc...

Full story: The Morning Call

Pennsylvania 's newly signed smoking ban may apply only to indoor spaces such as restaurants and other workplaces, but spots around the Lehigh Valley are tackling similar bans for such open-air locations as ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated Aug 12, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mom of 4

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

THANK YOU !!!! It's about time that we passed this law! We stopped going to our favorite breakfast spot because of the smokers there and we can't wait to go back!!
more lost rights

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

You won't be saying :THANK YOU" when fast Eddie decided to make a law, restricting what food you put in your mouth. Obesity is next.
John

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

As an X smoker I see it this way. What's all the fuss about? People smoke. So what. Don't people drink? Do drugs? I have to laugh when I see/hear a person in their 60's bitch about it. Let's put it this way. If your the age of 50 you grew up with lead based paint, no bottled water (drank it from a garden hose), didn't wear a bicycle helmet, cars didn't have seat belts and we're alive today to laugh about it. BUT OOOHHHHHHHHHHH second hand smoke? I bet if Bethlehem Steel was still going 150% and employed the Lehigh Valley population but put out smoke in the air it would be a part of the job, a part of life and no one would bitch. BUT SECOND HAND SMOKE WILL KILL YOU FASTER THAN ?????
A heart attack? I'm going to start smoking again just to piss people off. It's my life, my right. Don't like it? To bad. If I die from it what do you care. I lived happy.
Common sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

more lost rights wrote:
You won't be saying :THANK YOU" when fast Eddie decided to make a law, restricting what food you put in your mouth. Obesity is next.
Maybe obesity should be next... Smoking 1st then fast food next. Imagine that thought a healthy and in shape United States. Sounds like a bad idea, huh??
erika

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

John wrote:
As an X smoker I see it this way. What's all the fuss about? People smoke. So what. Don't people drink? Do drugs? I have to laugh when I see/hear a person in their 60's bitch about it. Let's put it this way. If your the age of 50 you grew up with lead based paint, no bottled water (drank it from a garden hose), didn't wear a bicycle helmet, cars didn't have seat belts and we're alive today to laugh about it. BUT OOOHHHHHHHHHHH second hand smoke? I bet if Bethlehem Steel was still going 150% and employed the Lehigh Valley population but put out smoke in the air it would be a part of the job, a part of life and no one would bitch. BUT SECOND HAND SMOKE WILL KILL YOU FASTER THAN ?????
A heart attack? I'm going to start smoking again just to piss people off. It's my life, my right. Don't like it? To bad. If I die from it what do you care. I lived happy.
you are ignorant!! bethlehem steel has been closed for years... so why even bring it up? after quitting smoking which is a tremendous thing... why would you start again to make people mad?? you obviously quit for a reason. i'm glad that they a banning smoking in public places!!! wooohooo!! for the person
that passed that law!!! i'm 28 yrs old and i drank out of a hose, didn't wear seatbelts, sunblock, grew up in a house with second hand smoke, rode in the back of a pick up truck, never wore a bicycle helmet and lived in bethlehem when the steel was still running... i'm still alive thankx to God... and i still don't want to be around second hand smoke because of the long term affects that it can have on someone!
erika

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Common sense wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe obesity should be next... Smoking 1st then fast food next. Imagine that thought a healthy and in shape United States. Sounds like a bad idea, huh??
that'll never happen
more lost rights

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Fast food should have been first. No more McD's,Burger Kings,Wendy's..no jobs,no unhealthy people, Imagine how many food isles they can get rid of at the grocery stores.. Start now.
John

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Gee a 28 year old that was around when the Steel was still running? I guess it was on it's last legs at that time Erica. All the dangerous things you did (rode in the back of a pick up) WOW! You're here and alive. Watch out though! That second hand smoke will kill you in a heart beat. What's next? Oh I know! An obituary that reads John Doe passed away at his residence on June 11th due to second hand smoke. It just flat out ended his life!!! Come on!!!
erika wrote:
<quoted text>
you are ignorant!! bethlehem steel has been closed for years... so why even bring it up? after quitting smoking which is a tremendous thing... why would you start again to make people mad?? you obviously quit for a reason. i'm glad that they a banning smoking in public places!!! wooohooo!! for the person
that passed that law!!! i'm 28 yrs old and i drank out of a hose, didn't wear seatbelts, sunblock, grew up in a house with second hand smoke, rode in the back of a pick up truck, never wore a bicycle helmet and lived in bethlehem when the steel was still running... i'm still alive thankx to God... and i still don't want to be around second hand smoke because of the long term affects that it can have on someone!
erika

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

John wrote:
Gee a 28 year old that was around when the Steel was still running? I guess it was on it's last legs at that time Erica. All the dangerous things you did (rode in the back of a pick up) WOW! You're here and alive. Watch out though! That second hand smoke will kill you in a heart beat. What's next? Oh I know! An obituary that reads John Doe passed away at his residence on June 11th due to second hand smoke. It just flat out ended his life!!! Come on!!!<quoted text>
you are so dumb! you brought that stuff up... maybe it was at its last but it was still running...
common sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

The real issue is that when you are having a nice meal with your family you won't have some inconsiderate person puffing a cigarette right next to you. The second hand smoke issue is just an added benefit. And by the way, how many smokers would like their children to smoke when they grow up?? Not many I bet so maybe this will deter some kids as they grow older. I Love Rendells decision!
Watchdog

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Hey Common Sense--why didn't you simply ask to be seated in the non-smoking section of the restaurant rather than have Big Government get involved.

Second hand smoke and man made global warming are tow of the most overrated issues I have ever seen. Even the World Health Organization studies don't support the second hand smoke allegations.

This is not about health issues, it is about arrogant people trying to impose their will on everyone thru government mandates rather taking control of the situation themselves by avoiding places that make them uncomfortable.
drmmkr

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

If you still live in Rehrersburg...than you lost your rights along time ago when Teen Challenge basically took over the whole town! Sorry to be in your shoes....
more lost rights wrote:
drmmkr

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

GET REAL Watchdog! Even if we non-smokers sit in the so-called non-smoking section...your smoke still circulates through the ventilation system, ruining our meals and making our clothes smell like we sat around a campfire while we were eating. In 90 days all we will have to do is run the gauntlet of smokers standing outside and pavement littered with "butts" as we enter our favorite restraunts
Watchdog wrote:
Hey Common Sense--why didn't you simply ask to be seated in the non-smoking section of the restaurant rather than have Big Government get involved.
Second hand smoke and man made global warming are tow of the most overrated issues I have ever seen. Even the World Health Organization studies don't support the second hand smoke allegations.
This is not about health issues, it is about arrogant people trying to impose their will on everyone thru government mandates rather taking control of the situation themselves by avoiding places that make them uncomfortable.
john

Perkasie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

Wouldn't it be easier to just outlaw cigarettes all together? Oh, that's right. Big tobacco lobbies are paying off the politicians. There's not a clean one in any office.

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

drmmkr wrote:
GET REAL Watchdog! Even if we non-smokers sit in the so-called non-smoking section...your smoke still circulates through the ventilation system, ruining our meals and making our clothes smell like we sat around a campfire while we were eating. In 90 days all we will have to do is run the gauntlet of smokers standing outside and pavement littered with "butts" as we enter our favorite restraunts
<quoted text>

I do smoke, and even I can see why a no-smoking "section" in a restaurant is no good.

Would you swim in a public pool if you saw a sign at one end that said, "no peeing section"?
rob

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

the way I sdee it, I'm technically not allowed to smoke marijuana anywhere, so why should idiots who smoke tobacco be allowed to fill the air with their pollutants and I can't?
Valley Pathfinder

Clarks Summit, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

911 Dispatch: "How may I help you?"
Frantic Caller:(screaming) Theres a man....theres a man (more screaming....hes....hes....
Dispatch: "Ma'am please try to stay calm. What is the man doing?
Caller: Hes....hes...hes....hes smoking in the park!!!!
Dispatch: Oh my, in all my time this is the most horrible call I have ever had, give me a moment....I'm OK now, I'm OK....Where is the man located????
Caller: Hes about 200 or maybe 250 or more yards away near some trees.
Dispatch: Wow, thats a very long way off, how can you be sure he is smoking? Maybe he is just using a straw. Can you smell the smoke? Caller: I'm sure because I'm using BINOCULARS, and no I can't smell the smoke, there is a stiff breeze blowing the other way.
Dispatch: Well, the only police I have this moment are tracking a reported possible pediophile sighting near the local elementary school.
Caller: I don't care what they are doing, get them over here before he gets away. I spent a month here trying to catch somebody, this guy is the first, so just do it!
UDIRTBAG

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

common sense wrote:
The real issue is that when you are having a nice meal with your family you won't have some inconsiderate person puffing a cigarette right next to you. The second hand smoke issue is just an added benefit. And by the way, how many smokers would like their children to smoke when they grow up?? Not many I bet so maybe this will deter some kids as they grow older. I Love Rendells decision!
Here's a thought, maybe a little radical, if a restaurant allows smoking and you don't like, now stay with me here's where it gets complicated, go to another restaurant!
If I own a building and want to allow smoking and you don't like it go somewhere else. This country was built on the idea of individual liberty. Stop trying to force people to live their lives by your standards.
rob

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

[QUOTE who="UDIRTBAGThis country was built on the idea of individual liberty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, right.
UDIRTBAG

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2008

rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, right.
That liberty may be dwindling but only because "we the people" allow it. But thanks for that incredibly insightful post.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Emmaus Discussions

Search the Emmaus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Incognito4Ever 1,081,597
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,391
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 2 hr the boy who cried wolf 3,820
smoking nurses 3 hr smoking doctor 44
A Plus Family Dental 4 hr bethwhistler 11
Tim Arnold 4 hr Tim Arnold 2
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr martinferrys 305,127
•••
•••

Emmaus News Video

•••
Emmaus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••