Out sourcing custodial and lunch staff

Out sourcing custodial and lunch staff

Posted in the Emmaus Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Parent

Quakertown, PA

#1 Jan 13, 2013
FYI to the community. Qcsd is planning on outsourcing our lunch ladies and men, and all of our custodial staff. This would mean bringing complete strangers in to our school from possibly out of our community. This would Eliminate close to 300 local positions. Why not change our name to quakertown area school district. Because they are no longer keeping us a community.
Info

Quakertown, PA

#2 Jan 13, 2013
Source? This would need approval from the School Board and would have made the papers by now if it were discussed at a School Board meeting.

This is the second thread started on this subject.

I suspect it's all BS.
Fred

Quakertown, PA

#3 Jan 13, 2013
Parent wrote:
FYI to the community. Qcsd is planning on outsourcing our lunch ladies and men, and all of our custodial staff. This would mean bringing complete strangers in to our school from possibly out of our community. This would Eliminate close to 300 local positions. Why not change our name to quakertown area school district. Because they are no longer keeping us a community.
It's the Republican way, hire an outside co. with lots of middle management with their greedy hands out to suck up our tax dollars, and pay the actual custodians $10/hr with crappy or no benefits and no pension. And they can't afford to live here so they're total strangers from the city. The New American Way.
Parent

Quakertown, PA

#4 Jan 13, 2013
Info wrote:
Source? This would need approval from the School Board and would have made the papers by now if it were discussed at a School Board meeting.
This is the second thread started on this subject.
I suspect it's all BS.
No def not bs, a couple custodians have told us personally. From different schools. Ask a school board member this is legitimate
informed

Quakertown, PA

#5 Jan 13, 2013
Info wrote:
Source? This would need approval from the School Board and would have made the papers by now if it were discussed at a School Board meeting.
This is the second thread started on this subject.
I suspect it's all BS.
Not BS! If you look at the public notice in last Friday's (1/4) Intell and Morning Call you will see a notice for companies to put in bids for Facilitices at QCSD and the Food Service notice won't be far behind. The school board won't be involved until the bids are in and a decision needs to be made.
resident

Quakertown, PA

#6 Jan 13, 2013
If true, I hope the union makes a ruckus at the next school board meeting. It doesn't make sense to eliminate middle-class jobs and replace them with poverty wage jobs. It hurts the community.
Concerned Q-town Resident

Allentown, PA

#7 Jan 13, 2013
Here is the link to the public notice

http://pa.mypublicnotices.com/PublicNotice.as...
silly

Quakertown, PA

#8 Jan 13, 2013
Doesn't mean they're going to do it....just means they are looking into seeing the cost comparison.Chill out.
Concerned Q-town Resident

Allentown, PA

#9 Jan 13, 2013
If I were any more chilled out I would be dead. All I did was post the link to something that was being discussed. Someone else needs to Chill out "Silly". Insulting people on Topix is not going to cure what ails you. Have a great a night :-)
Aimee

Allentown, PA

#10 Jan 13, 2013
I heard this from a lunch lady at Trum Elem. last year, this will be the last year & then they(QCSD) are going to outsource.
They were told that this is going to happen & NOBODY is happy about it.
Please go to a school board meeting or talk to your school to find out how we can stop this.
I know at Trum Elem. those ladies knew my children & there is no way some stranger coming in is going to care that much to get to know the kids.
Middle school isn't so bad, but we need to keep our lunch ladies & custodians.
Instead of outsourcing to save money, manage what you have already, just like we have to.
Nope

Quakertown, PA

#11 Jan 13, 2013
Aimee wrote:
I heard this from a lunch lady at Trum Elem. last year, this will be the last year & then they(QCSD) are going to outsource.
They were told that this is going to happen & NOBODY is happy about it.
Please go to a school board meeting or talk to your school to find out how we can stop this.
I know at Trum Elem. those ladies knew my children & there is no way some stranger coming in is going to care that much to get to know the kids.
Middle school isn't so bad, but we need to keep our lunch ladies & custodians.
Instead of outsourcing to save money, manage what you have already, just like we have to.
Wow, we complain about taxes and when the district does something to save money, you people complain.

As for the strangers, I believe all these people will have background checks.
Nope

Quakertown, PA

#12 Jan 13, 2013
resident wrote:
If true, I hope the union makes a ruckus at the next school board meeting. It doesn't make sense to eliminate middle-class jobs and replace them with poverty wage jobs. It hurts the community.
Kline, YOU don't pay taxes so shut the hell up, slug.
retired lunch lady

Perkasie, PA

#13 Jan 13, 2013
Parent wrote:
FYI to the community. Qcsd is planning on outsourcing our lunch ladies and men, and all of our custodial staff. This would mean bringing complete strangers in to our school from possibly out of our community. This would Eliminate close to 300 local positions. Why not change our name to quakertown area school district. Because they are no longer keeping us a community.
Glad I retired and get the big pension all you stupid taxpayers are funding. Maybe the new food service will import Mexicans to cook the food.
Fred

Quakertown, PA

#14 Jan 14, 2013
This kind of thing happened to a with a former employer (not a school). Whatever $$ they saved turning good jobs into crap jobs was lost in "management fees". But let's privatize everything!
Rich Land Rich Man

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Jan 14, 2013
Parent wrote:
FYI to the community. Qcsd is planning on outsourcing our lunch ladies and men, and all of our custodial staff. This would mean bringing complete strangers in to our school from possibly out of our community. This would Eliminate close to 300 local positions. Why not change our name to quakertown area school district. Because they are no longer keeping us a community.
Are we to assume, then, that you have checked the home addresses of all of the current employees, and they all live in this community? Of course not.

When someone retires or quits or gets fired, do they only hire "local" or "community" people to fill the position? Is it in the job description?
BeenBurned

Sellersville, PA

#16 Jan 15, 2013
Rich Land Rich Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we to assume, then, that you have checked the home addresses of all of the current employees, and they all live in this community? Of course not.
When someone retires or quits or gets fired, do they only hire "local" or "community" people to fill the position? Is it in the job description?
Short answers: NO and NO

The QCSD Board may (legally and with precedent elsewhere in PA) REQUIRE employees to live within the district. They can choose to keep employees who presently live within the district or to require them to move into the district within a reasonable time period (like 5 years).

If implemented:

Teachers with kids attending QCSD schools will have a greater incentive to improve student academic achievement and to work for better practices and a stronger curriculum.

Employees whose real estate taxes go to the QCSD will have an incentive to make the schools more efficient.

QCSD employees will have more interaction with other community citizens and organizations.

Local businesses, and as a result, the local tax base will grow.
Nomorebho

Quakertown, PA

#17 Jan 15, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, we complain about taxes and when the district does something to save money, you people complain.
As for the strangers, I believe all these people will have background checks.
The district can save a lot of money by cutting the superintendant's salary! No one would complain about that little cost cutting measure.
BeenBurned

Sellersville, PA

#18 Jan 15, 2013
Nomorebho wrote:
<quoted text>The district can save a lot of money by cutting the superintendant's salary! No one would complain about that little cost cutting measure.
A contract that gave away the QCSD taxpayers' "ranch" is still a contract. Was it legally and ethically renewed? That was debated uselessly here on Topix .

See #16 above for a suggestion that is legal,reality based and possible to enact and enforce.

Why should the QCSD Board consider the suggestion to require residency of employees?

In the QCSD Presently:

Employees may pay lower property tax rates elsewhere while benefiting from high average QCSD wages.

Employees and their children may benefit from QCSD high average wages that support better schools elsewhere.

Employees may receive high average wages paid by taxes on others and have no other ties to the QCSD community.

Employees are paid relatively high wages by QCSD taxpayers who, as a whole, earn considerably lower average incomes.
Beware

Quakertown, PA

#19 Jan 15, 2013
BeenBurned wrote:
<quoted text>
A contract that gave away the QCSD taxpayers' "ranch" is still a contract. Was it legally and ethically renewed? That was debated uselessly here on Topix .
See #16 above for a suggestion that is legal,reality based and possible to enact and enforce.
Why should the QCSD Board consider the suggestion to require residency of employees?
In the QCSD Presently:
Employees may pay lower property tax rates elsewhere while benefiting from high average QCSD wages.
Employees and their children may benefit from QCSD high average wages that support better schools elsewhere.
Employees may receive high average wages paid by taxes on others and have no other ties to the QCSD community.
Employees are paid relatively high wages by QCSD taxpayers who, as a whole, earn considerably lower average incomes.
Hello, Richard. We all know about that contract with Andrejko. Your buddy Paul approved it.
BeenBurned

Sellersville, PA

#20 Jan 15, 2013
Beware wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Richard. We all know about that contract with Andrejko. Your buddy Paul approved it.
If you have any thoughts on the subject of Andrejeko's contract it would behoove you to resurrect an old thread on the topic and share with interested readers or reply to entry #17.

Your paranoid based spam adds nothing to the conversations of rational Topix readers. Your entry is an example of what has made these Quakertown Topix threads superflulous and irrelevant to QCSD citizens and local politics.

Interjecting off-topic personal agendas and prejudices and inaccurately addressing persons who are not composing entries takes up space, adds nothing of interest, and drives away any readers who might be influenced by ideas and suggestions (if you had any of value).

Why have you irrationally taken the spotlight by interjecting your irrelevant comments into a Topix discussion? Too bad for the community you obviously don't care about and the family members you embarrass with your actions.

The few readers left on these threads are sure to hold their breaths waiting for a meaningful reply from the likes of you; or not.

Care to address the suggestion I introduced- to require QCSD employees to reside within the QCSD? Have you any intelligent comments to add to that conversation?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emmaus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Contractor Fraud - Tom Dwyer 3 min buckscoguy 3
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,262,813
How much do ELECTRICIANs charge? (Jul '11) 1 hr 2033_reallysucks 39
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr STO 310,327
RTPD Cams Tue Kathryn Munson 1
Review: Redtrailers.Com Inc (Sep '09) Tue dynosteve 15
News Quakertown begins planning for community center Mon In the Know 38
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Emmaus Mortgages