4 wheeler accident
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smart kid

Penrose, CO

#21 Oct 8, 2009
The law is the same in Missouri - no one under 16 can operate an ATV anywhere except on their own parents' land. It's NOT legal here, we just wink at the law.

I just learned that the PARENTS can be issued the moving violation, as parents are responsible for their kids' behavior. Sadly, since we elect our sheriff, it's unlikely anyone would ever be cited, even if a child died. Oops, I do mean WHEN a child dies. It's inevitable and we'll all say it such a tragedy and feel sorry for the family. It's preventable if we just enforce the wise laws we already have.
PATHETIC PEOPLE

Sparta, MO

#22 Oct 18, 2009
Why is it that the out of towners want to run our town? Go back where you come from if you don't like the rules in Eminence.We definitly don't need someone from Arkansas's opinion. NEWS FLASH--more children die from parental abuse than 4 wheeler accidents. Why don't everyone put more time and effort in stopping child abuse. When you hand a child at 16 or older a set of keys to drive, maybe we should put them in a body suit according to some people.
ranchmama

Blytheville, AR

#23 Oct 18, 2009
Drop dead.
Smart Kid

AOL

#24 Oct 18, 2009
Hey Pathetic,

I live here, always have. Letting your kid ride a four wheeler is a type of child abuse / neglect. In Bunker they started citing the parents - that put an end to it quick.

We need to straighten up and fly right as a town if ever want to earn any respect instead of being seen as a bunch of hickerbillies.
smalltownraised

Pleasant Hill, MO

#25 Oct 18, 2009
Just because you have an opinion and someone disagrees with it does not mean they are stupid! I saved my allowance when I was eight years old and bought my first ATV. Granted, it was used and cheap, but I was riding it by myself within a month of the purchase and have yet to have a fatal accident. Since then I have graduated high school and college. The kids could be sitting on a dirt road in a vehicle with a case of beer! I really want unexperienced drivers driving around with alcohol in thier systems! That is super SMART!
And it did not put an end to the kids in bunker riding the ATVs, they just ride on back roads and go elsewhere!
PATHETIC PEOPLE

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#26 Oct 19, 2009
Smart Kid wrote:
Hey Pathetic,
I live here, always have. Letting your kid ride a four wheeler is a type of child abuse / neglect. In Bunker they started citing the parents - that put an end to it quick.
We need to straighten up and fly right as a town if ever want to earn any respect instead of being seen as a bunch of hickerbillies.
If letting your child ride a four wheeler is child abuse then handing them a set of keys to a vehicle at 16 also is. Grow up! apparently you don't like four wheelers,and you don't want anyone else to like them. We are not Bunker, no different than we are not any other town. There is not much here for our children to do now, so take the four wheeler priveledges away and there is less for them to do. The kids will continue to ride them, just farther out on vacant roads. I believe more time could be spent on chasing drug dealers than kids on four wheelers. A bunch of " Hickerbillies" , come on, our kids riding four wheelers causes that name. Anyone else think we are a bunch of " Hickerbillies", because of riding four wheelers? Wonder what they call us for liking to hunt, hunterbillies ? Drive a motoercycle, motorbillies? Like to watch baseball games, gamebillies? Ride horses, horsebillies? Wow we all are alot of billies, I reckon!!!!
Information

Wentzville, MO

#27 Oct 19, 2009
The law is the law. I have posted on here the Missouri State Statue word for word. All those who wish to view it can and all those who wish to ignore it can. But the consequences for reckless actions should be handled. If a parent allows a child to ride a an atv unsupervised then they should be punished as well as the child. Any parent themselves disobeying the law should be punished. Any person whom ever they may be in the state that ignores any law, they will have to pay the consequences.
Smart Kid

AOL

#28 Oct 19, 2009
Thank you "Information." The simple fact is that driving an ATV when a person is under 16 is AGAINST THE LAW. It is not some God given right because we live in a rural area. And how can anybody say that our kids don't have anything to do right smack in the middle of thousands of acres of public wild land? What happened to hunting, fishing, boating, swimming, hiking and just plain messing around in the woods? My kid doesn't get bored.(and don't whine that they can't get to the woods without an ATV, he WALKS!)

The thing that makes America, even Shannon County, different from so many whacko countries is that we generally respect the laws and follow them voluntarilly because it is the morally right thing to do. We should raise our children with the same values.
omg

United States

#29 Oct 19, 2009
Come on people get real,were you not a kid at one time,did you not want to drive something with a motor and wheels on it,we all start kids out driving something,it doesnt matter where you live in the city or the country,the kids were driving something,we start then out as babies,with the little car and trucks in the house,then they make it to the yard and the toys only get bigger and faster,it our jobs as parents to teach them right from wrong,it doesnt matter if it in the house,yard,street, down the block or gravel road,kids do as they are taught in most cases,i find it is alot easier to talk to a kid and tell them they were doing wrong explian to them kids are not dumb they have a mind and most do understand,getting on here writing hateful things about country livin or city living isnt helping anything,what happen to the day when everyone looked out for each other kids,without pointing fingers,before we run our mouths about kids we need to stop a take a minute and remember they are kids,and kids are not perfect,i wasn't you weren't either city or country, reading all this BS make me wonder if sometime we need to stand together as one,if the city would be on one side and the country one the other,face it people one day that may be,and the way I see it we need to stand together and help one another and everyone look out for the children without all the BS.

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Oct 19, 2009
Can you get a permit for Shannon County?
,,,and then you just need a flag??
I see several of them on rural blacktop and they had flags. I use mine on some property I own there and wouldn't mind being able to take it down the road a few miles to some neighbors.
Not worth answering

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#31 Oct 20, 2009
Smart Kid wrote:
Thank you "Information." The simple fact is that driving an ATV when a person is under 16 is AGAINST THE LAW. It is not some God given right because we live in a rural area. And how can anybody say that our kids don't have anything to do right smack in the middle of thousands of acres of public wild land? What happened to hunting, fishing, boating, swimming, hiking and just plain messing around in the woods? My kid doesn't get bored.(and don't whine that they can't get to the woods without an ATV, he WALKS!)
The thing that makes America, even Shannon County, different from so many whacko countries is that we generally respect the laws and follow them voluntarilly because it is the morally right thing to do. We should raise our children with the same values.
Do they call your son a " walk-a-billie " ? I mean my child you say is acting like a "hickerbillie" because he rides a 4 wheeler. So I reckon you are for us to have ALL THE CITY rules inflicted on us. Move to the city, you seem to like so many rules and regulations. I bet you vote for cutting off our riverways to us also so the city people can take over. BLAH BLAH blah, leave me and my four wheeler kids alone!
Not worth answering

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#32 Oct 20, 2009
And by the way my son does have morals, they are just NOT your morals, which I am so thankful for. My son doesn't go calling people " hickerbillies" ! Because we ride four wheelers is no reason for you to say we as a town are seen as a bunch of " hickerbillies". So as a town of Eminence, we should " FLY HIGH" to who's standards , yours? I suppose you have NEVER drove over the speed limit? Maybe you just can't afford a four wheeler or you are just a cronic complainer. But becasue someone does not follow your point of view, does not mean we are a town of "HICKERBILLIES" ! Don't like it, MOVE!!!!I am not going anywhere and neither are my four wheelers.
Smart kid

Penrose, CO

#33 Oct 20, 2009
Obeying the law is moral always.
ranchmama

Blytheville, AR

#34 Oct 20, 2009
PATHETIC PEOPLE wrote:
Why is it that the out of towners want to run our town? Go back where you come from if you don't like the rules in Eminence.We definitly don't need someone from Arkansas's opinion. NEWS FLASH--more children die from parental abuse than 4 wheeler accidents. Why don't everyone put more time and effort in stopping child abuse. When you hand a child at 16 or older a set of keys to drive, maybe we should put them in a body suit according to some people.
I don't recall posting a thing that would indicate that I want to "run your town." I could care less what you do in your "town" by the way.I live out in the country myself.A neighbor's young boy was almost killed on his 4wheeler last summer.He WAS being careful,wore a helmet,etc.He was trying to pull out of a field crossing onto the gravel road,the county had let the brush and weeds grow up so high that he could not see and the FedEx man that hit the 4wheeler couldn't see him.He wasn't going fast,just coming out to see,and couldn't hear the truck.It broke his leg,but had it been some of the fast driving dopeheads that come flying through here he'd been dead.
As for child abuse and comparing that to riding 4wheelers,a inanimate object such as a 4wheeler is nothing compared to an abuser.Both are harmful,and,I'm not in favor of anything that would harm a child no matter what/who the hell it is. And I don't like rules ANYWHERE that could allow kids to be hurt,whether it's in Arkansas,Paris,or little bitty Eminence,MO.
hello

Washington, MO

#35 Oct 21, 2009
Far more kids are killed from car wrecks than four wheelers. The flu kills alot of kids also, so do we pull our kids out of school, out of the public in general. If we dont keep them at home and always safe guarded from anything that could possibly go wrong then are we abusing or neglecting them?
Think for a second

Penrose, CO

#36 Oct 21, 2009
Yes, car wrecks kill kids. That's why seat belts are required by law.(Another law some folks will argue against.) The idea is to minimize the risk. That's also why the law does not allow children under 16 to drive - cars or ATVs! There's not much difference in the risks there, really, which is why the law is the same for both vehicles.

We have flu shots to minimize that risk. Life will never be without risk, but we should try to make things safer when we can. We also need to evaluate the costs and benefits of a rule. Letting young people drive ATVs has only one purpose- their recreation. Having fun is not a good enough reason to justify the risk to their lives and health.

Part of being a responsible adult is making those decisions FOR our children, because kids aren't mature enough to make them themselves.(Most teens think they are immortal.) That's why parents are responsible for buckling up their kids, not leaving them "home alone" and getting them proper medical care. It's also why parents should not be either buying them four wheelers or allowing them to have them.(And don't say, "my kid bought it with his own money." Even if he can, who is the grown up? Try saying NO sometime, you might like it.)
PATHETIC PEOPLE

Sparta, MO

#37 Oct 22, 2009
ranchmama wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall posting a thing that would indicate that I want to "run your town." I could care less what you do in your "town" by the way.I live out in the country myself.A neighbor's young boy was almost killed on his 4wheeler last summer.He WAS being careful,wore a helmet,etc.He was trying to pull out of a field crossing onto the gravel road,the county had let the brush and weeds grow up so high that he could not see and the FedEx man that hit the 4wheeler couldn't see him.He wasn't going fast,just coming out to see,and couldn't hear the truck.It broke his leg,but had it been some of the fast driving dopeheads that come flying through here he'd been dead.
As for child abuse and comparing that to riding 4wheelers,a inanimate object such as a 4wheeler is nothing compared to an abuser.Both are harmful,and,I'm not in favor of anything that would harm a child no matter what/who the hell it is. And I don't like rules ANYWHERE that could allow kids to be hurt,whether it's in Arkansas,Paris,or little bitty Eminence,MO.
That boy could of been on his bike and not been able to see through the brush or could of been an adult on a 4 wheeler.The problem was not a kid on the fourwheeler. Was low visibility, and other factors that you stated yourself so WHY are you blaming it on a kid on a 4 wheeler. Should we ban kids bikes also ? Canoeing Jacks Fork river is pretty risky around the root wads and trees, should we ban our kids out of a canoe too. You and the others are just focusing on 4 wheelers because you don't have one or want one. Kds can get hurt on bikes, in canoes, walking to town, on the playground, in an accident with a parent or adult driving, walking down a flight of steps and lets not forget the battery operated vehicles too. These can all be harmful to our kids so what are you really against. Sounds to me like it is KIDS! Missouri allows 4 wheelers to be sold that are marketed for very young kids. It is up to the parent to teach a child safety on one , just like teaching safety with a gun to go deer hunting. Kids 6 years old are allowed to buy a deer tag, an adult can not shoot the deer , the child has to by themselves. So are you against our kids hunting too. A loaded gun is given to them. Reckon a gun could kill someone? My son rides a 4 wheeler, has since he started at 2 years old and he also has hunted since he was 6 years old. He is 15 years old, never had an accident, extremely careful and kills a couple deer every year by himself. As far as the kid on the 4 wheeler, I know that the parents did not blame him for the accident. As far as you, would it make you feel better if he was on his bicycle?
Information

United States

#38 Oct 22, 2009
If a person was driving drunk would you still be ok with it. He has never had an accident before. He only went into town and then right back. But he wrecked on the way back home? Would you feel sorry for him? Oh, what if this was a kid, 17 driving drunk? Would you still feel sorry for him? What if he hit another car with a mom in and her newborn son? Would you still feel sorry for him. You can't form the laws around people. Either it affects everyone or no one. Each situation is different unto every person. Lots of risks in life and some of those risks can be minamized by people obeying the law. So, it's only a kid who never has accidents. Well, he had one! And he along with his parents allowed him to ride against the law. People complain about police officers not doing their job. And then when they get caught doing something illegal everyone else is to blame but them. The truth of the matter is that their are consequences to every action sometimes good sometimes bad. But if your willing to do the crime, well you know the rest.
OMG

O Fallon, MO

#39 Oct 23, 2009
Why are all of these people that are obviously not from around here, even posting on the Eminence forum? We all know that you don't approve of the way we do things around here, but I don't understand why it's any of your business. Did we elect you the moral police or something. Get a life and let us live ours.

As far as riding 4-wheelers go, yes, a lot of kids in the area ride them. Big deal! Most of us grew up working on farms with our parents and many of us drove farm trucks around the farm by 10 or 12 years old. That's technically not legal either, but I would like to see you go to one of those farms and try to tell one of these hard working people that they are committing child abuse by teaching their kids the value of hard work. THAT is what is wrong with kids today. A bunch of whinny as*ses, trying to dictate how we raise our children. These kids are worked hard and are taught right from wrong. We may not follow every bit of legal crap that some lawmaker in Jefferson City wrote on a piece of paper but our children have morals and are given responsibilities at a young age. They grow up to be adults that can handle responsibilities instead of being like some of the adults on this forum that whine and complain every time something does not go their way. You may not like the way we do things in the country but it has got us through some hard times and we will still be here long after all you city people tear each other to bits over not following everyone’s rules.

Get over it and move on!
Think for a second

Penrose, CO

#40 Oct 23, 2009
All anyone is asking is that the laws be obeyed. That's what everyone should teach their kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eminence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trumplethinshin 10 hr SISTERS IS BACK 6
Dena powell 18 hr Old friends 1
Who's got the biggest and thick wiener in town Sun Greaserak 6
missing girl-Elisabeth Hornbeck (Oct '15) Jul 23 Izzy-_- 74
Stalker Queen Jul 23 Red Kia 9
Birch tree place Jul 22 Trash 3
Justin Martin Jul 22 Just know 2

Eminence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance