4 wheeler accident
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Tuttle, OK

#1 Jul 25, 2009
On my way into town today I passed a large group of kids on 4 wheelers and about an hour or so later I heard sirens. A friend of ours called to check on my kids because he heard someone on a 4 wheeler had gotten hit by a car. Does anyone know who it was and if they are okay?
citizen uno

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#2 Jul 25, 2009
Concerned Parent wrote:
On my way into town today I passed a large group of kids on 4 wheelers and about an hour or so later I heard sirens. A friend of ours called to check on my kids because he heard someone on a 4 wheeler had gotten hit by a car. Does anyone know who it was and if they are okay?
Everyone is okay. No car involved, the atv was going too fast around a curve on gravel. The victim was treated and released, bruised up, but gonna be okay. The accident is an eye-opener for helmet use....had the victims not been wearing theirs, things could have been a lot worse.
concerned parent

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jul 25, 2009
who was it? local kids
Enough

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#4 Jul 25, 2009
I see kids constantly going by my house on 4-wheelers, with two and three kids at a time on them. Few wear helmets, and most drive dangerously. I see them up on two wheels, and going entirely too fast. They can be fun to ride, but I think parents should be more aware of how their children behave on them. I am afraid it is going to take a very serious, if not fatal accident to open their eyes.
yep

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jul 26, 2009
it was local kids. Cammie Akers and Haylea Brewer. They were wearing helmets and thank goodness! We were on a gravel road and were heading back home, and she lost control and overturned. The helmet was pretty bad smashed in, but everyone is okay now. it could've been alot worse.
adult opinion

United States

#6 Jul 26, 2009
which akers does cammie belong too?
info

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#7 Jul 27, 2009
Eva Akers
Mike D

San Antonio, TX

#8 Aug 24, 2009
I am a friend of eva's when se lived in ozark mo. how do can I get ahold of her. my email address is [email protected] its been over 10 years since we lost touch. thanks
Mike
Smart kid

Penrose, CO

#9 Sep 2, 2009
I just wish local law enforcement would enforce the laws before more kids get hurt. Quite simply, in the state of Missouri, it is illegal to:

Operate an ATV if you are under 16.
Operate an ATV on pavement.(or any state road.)

They could easily be ticketed, with the result of not being able to get their driver's license until they were 18. That would deter them.

Also, is Law Enforcement responsible if they ignore this behavior and a child is hurt or killed? It's just a matter of time before someone's child is dead on Route 19.

Lastly, parents should be held accountable, don't tell me a 12 year old bought a $3000 machine with his lunch money.
WHT

Poplar Bluff, MO

#10 Sep 2, 2009
Who cares 4wheelers are fun for everyone!!! When I was 15 a fourwheeler was my only transportation to get to work! Kids just need to be careful on them..
Smart kid

Penrose, CO

#11 Sep 2, 2009
No, kids need to be taught from an early age to obey the law. That attitude is why society is so fouled up - no one cares about the rules anymore, whether traffic, civility or even public decency.
Concerned

AOL

#12 Sep 2, 2009
The local ATV Rodeo should be stopped, or at least required to not have a "children's category." Kids without a driver's liscence can ONLY legally ride Four Wheelers on their parents land.(Look it up! It's true, not private property, but "their parent's land")Anyway you look at it, it's illegal for them to ride at Stewart's Landing and if someone gets hurt, the sponsors of an event where they were encouraging children to do something both illegal and dangerous... well imagine the law suit there!
mr me

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Sep 2, 2009
Smart kid wrote:
No, kids need to be taught from an early age to obey the law. That attitude is why society is so fouled up - no one cares about the rules anymore, whether traffic, civility or even public decency.
Do you ever break the law?
Smart kid

Penrose, CO

#14 Sep 3, 2009
Not deliberately, and my parents never financed it.
PV2 Gates

Lamar, CO

#15 Sep 3, 2009
Yes i have.. but i try not too.. and i love riding four wheelers.. so i dont see anything wrong with it as long as ppl are smart with them... Because the four wheeler doesnt have the brains its the driver.. the four wheeler does what ever the driver tells it.. so be smart is the only thing...
Information

Wentzville, MO

#16 Sep 3, 2009
Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 300
Model Traffic Ordinance
Section 300.348
All-terrain vehicles, prohibited--exceptions, operation of all-terrain vehicles under an exception--prohibited uses--penalty.
300.348. 1. No person shall operate an all-terrain vehicle, as defined in section 300.010, upon the streets and highways of this city, except as follows:
(1) All-terrain vehicles owned and operated by a governmental entity for official use;
(2) All-terrain vehicles operated for agricultural purposes or industrial on-premises purposes between the official sunrise and sunset on the day of operation;
(3) All-terrain vehicles whose operators carry a special permit issued by this city pursuant to section 304.013, RSMo.
2. No person shall operate an off-road vehicle, as defined in section 304.001, RSMo, within any stream or river in this city, except that off-road vehicles may be operated within waterways which flow within the boundaries of land which an off-road vehicle operator owns, or for agricultural purposes within the boundaries of land which an off-road vehicle operator owns or has permission to be upon, or for the purpose of fording such stream or river of this state at such road crossings as are customary or part of the highway system. All law enforcement officials or peace officers of this state and its political subdivisions shall enforce the provisions of this subsection within the geographic area of their jurisdiction.
3. A person operating an all-terrain vehicle on a street or highway pursuant to an exception covered in this section shall have a valid license issued by a state authorizing such person to operate a motor vehicle, but shall not be required to have passed an examination for the operation of a motorcycle, and the vehicle shall be operated at speeds of less than thirty miles per hour. When operated on a street or highway, an all-terrain vehicle shall have a bicycle safety flag, which extends not less than seven feet above the ground, attached to the rear of the vehicle. The bicycle safety flag shall be triangular in shape with an area of not less than thirty square inches and shall be day-glow in color.
4. No person shall operate an all-terrain vehicle:
(1) In any careless way so as to endanger the person or property of another;
(2) While under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance; or
(3) Without a securely fastened safety helmet on the head of an individual who operates an all-terrain vehicle or who is being towed or otherwise propelled by an all-terrain vehicle, unless the individual is at least eighteen years of age.
5. No operator of an all-terrain vehicle shall carry a passenger, except for agricultural purposes.
6. A violation of this section shall be a class C misdemeanor.
(L. 1988 H.B. 990, A.L. 1990 H.B. 1279, A.L. 2002 H.B. 1270 and H.B. 2032)
WHT

Poplar Bluff, MO

#17 Sep 3, 2009
Concerned wrote:
The local ATV Rodeo should be stopped, or at least required to not have a "children's category." Kids without a driver's liscence can ONLY legally ride Four Wheelers on their parents land.(Look it up! It's true, not private property, but "their parent's land")Anyway you look at it, it's illegal for them to ride at Stewart's Landing and if someone gets hurt, the sponsors of an event where they were encouraging children to do something both illegal and dangerous... well imagine the law suit there!
Blah,Blah,Blah!
Smart kid

Penrose, CO

#18 Sep 3, 2009
Thanks "Info."
tim horning

Bandon, OR

#19 Oct 2, 2009
people go riding all the time you cant judge every person thats rides off one stupid kid that went around a corner to fast if he is still goiong around corners to fast he definatly is not ready to be riding with just his friends its just as much fault for the parents as the kid.And if he was with his friends he was probably hot dogging it(showing off) to make him look like a bad ass but you can do that to a limit he went over his limit
ranchmama

Blytheville, AR

#20 Oct 7, 2009
Any of you missorians seen this:
Go to Jonesboro AR topix and read "Baby Lilly is dead,please write letters of protest" and also go to Dunklin Daily Democrat,"2 year old on life support."

I can't find the topic or news link,but,a 2 1/2 year old girl was killed 2 weekends ago riding a 4 wheeler with her brother in Pocahontas,AR.It is against the law in Arkansas for anyone under a certain age to operate an ATV.I was amazed when we came to Eminence over the 4th of July and saw them on CITY STREETS and highways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eminence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James vanwinkle arrested molestation of children (Feb '14) 6 hr Guest 52
rural poverty observations 7 hr partly true 4
What happened to Birch Tree?? 9 hr derekp 4
I would like to talk to you Knucklehead 23 hr Hater 5
five dollar ernie (Mar '13) Sun katie prewett 3
Ronnie Byerly (Aug '13) Sun Friend 2
How about those Eagles?? Sep 23 KZT 33

Eminence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance