Former New George's nightclub in San Rafael up for sale or lease

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

Always wanted to open a nightclub? New George's, the San Rafael rock club that has been closed for four years, is at long last ready and waiting for someone to step up and bring it back to life.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Sep 1, 2010
Jeesh

San Rafael, CA

#1 Dec 11, 2008
Who can afford to drink and drive anymore?
nor-cal dude

San Leandro, CA

#2 Dec 11, 2008
Maybe the owners of Centerfold's will open it up. I am tired of having to go the the city to see some good adult entertainment!
Jason

San Leandro, CA

#3 Dec 11, 2008
I agree with Nor-Cal. We need something to spice up this area.

“Built like a ”

Since: Aug 08

North Korean missile!.

#4 Dec 11, 2008
It would make a good location for a cock-fighting arena.
Robin

Oakland, CA

#5 Dec 12, 2008
Please, If there is really a God; There won't be anymore tejano and ranchero sounds coming out of that place.
Christian

San Rafael, CA

#6 Dec 12, 2008
Does a Real Estate Company own the Marin IJ now? It sure feels like it more and more every time I read these "news" stories.
Just in Case

San Jose, CA

#7 Dec 12, 2008
Calling friends in the music business - are you kidding me ? They know better, believe me. "Hey I paid $2.7MM and pumped a another mil in it, it's a steal for $4MM !!! " Sure that'll work. Sounds like another Sweetwater deal.
SlowMoe

Oakland, CA

#8 Dec 12, 2008
nor-cal dude wrote:
Maybe the owners of Centerfold's will open it up. I am tired of having to go the the city to see some good adult entertainment!
Right on man! Young stuff and lot of good looking MILF's in Marin that need some extra dough.

“Avoid Taxes, Don't Work !”

Since: Jul 08

San Jose, CA

#9 Dec 12, 2008
Marin demograhics won't work. Young people go to SF. All that's left here are aging stoners who don't drink much anymore
AgingQueen

San Rafael, CA

#10 Dec 12, 2008
It should be a gay bar/restaurant/club. I think that would be faaaaabulous!
holiday humor

San Rafael, CA

#11 Dec 12, 2008
AgingQueen wrote:
It should be a gay bar/restaurant/club. I think that would be faaaaabulous!
Actually, it might make a lot of money. Why did
that place in S.R. called Aunt Rosies close?

The rent sound like it's going to be so high
no one will be able to keep it open.

I would personally like to see a straight night club open up, but i'm not willing to pay a high cover charge and 10 bucks for a drink. Plus, a get a marginal dui on the way home.

I hated backsters(spelling wrong), but it was at least a place to go. I've tried Fairfax(21 Broadway), but I'm sorry it was a joke:

1. 25 dollars to get in
2. 95% dudes
3. watered down 8 dollar drinks-if you could get the attention of the tards serving them.
4. got he (packemin) virus the following monday.
5. walked home because i had 3 drinks and didn't want to add $6000.00 to my night out. Oh yea, overheard the "fossil of an owner" complaining about people not drinking enough--didn't get his
complaint? If anything he's too cheap to hire more than two bartenders.

I have an honest question?

1. What are you willing to pay for cover.
I still like going out once a week. So,
what are you willing to pay weekly?

2. What is a reasonable price for a mixed drink,
or a draft beer?

3. And where do you go in San Francisco?
Caitie McGregor

Eugene, OR

#12 Dec 15, 2008
I hope someone buys New George's & reopens it soon. Whatever happen to Uncle Charlie's?
Strang Way

Berkeley, CA

#13 Dec 31, 2008
I like the Centerfold idea. Load it with a bunch of hookers and see what happens. Pot club upstairs for all the aging stoners. A win win instead of a whine whine.

“Built like a ”

Since: Aug 08

North Korean missile!.

#14 Dec 31, 2008
Maybe They should reopen it, and call it the Sleeping Lady cafe.

Why not?...seems like Everybody's doing it these days.
Zeebo

San Rafael, CA

#15 Jan 9, 2010
Well, if someone buys it I will run it. I have tons of experience and connections!
BSdetector

United States

#16 Jan 9, 2010
I can remember when Georges was owned by Butch Burns and was a pretty good place to go. One night while I was trying to get away from the stressful work as a professional nurse, low and behold a person was beaten-up with a chair while other just stood and watched. Since I am a professional nurse with life saving skills, I didnít hesitate administering first-aide to this man and sure I saved his life. The Medics took a bit and told me that without my medical knowledge this man would have died. I found out late this man had no medical insurance so like always, the bills were paid with my hard earned tax dollars. But I do what I do because thatís what God told me to do.
Alexander

Concord, CA

#17 Feb 27, 2010
WTF - New Georges AND Sweetwater both closed? Sure glad I don't live in Marin any more - actually, no I'm not, but this sucks!
Rent the musical

San Jose, CA

#18 Mar 12, 2010
Wonder what the rent will be? Bloodsuckin landlords are squeezing out the fledgling entrepreneur. So much for sustainability in rents.

A fair rent would be something baseline which would increase if the business sells a lot of hotcakes, or whatever. A sort of variable rent. I know, that makes too much sense to work....
Raywagman

San Rafael, CA

#21 Aug 22, 2010
Robin wrote:
Please, If there is really a God; There won't be anymore tejano and ranchero sounds coming out of that place.
Please stay in Oakland!!!!
Tom Orsat

Placerville, CA

#22 Sep 1, 2010
Spoke to the new owner a few weeks ago while it is being remodeled. Looks like it will be a great place to catch some bay area bands. Good luck Todd!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emeryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Bently 18,880
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 8 hr go away 5,007
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 8 hr Soaked good 200,593
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 17 hr lazy posts 15,963
Review: Richmond Auto Sales 22 hr Ernestina Sandoval 1
New vision taking shape for area around Oakland... Fri April 5
Canada tops in key measures of scientific literacy Fri Michael 1
•••

Emeryville News Video

•••
•••

Emeryville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••