Alternative report on Vets Hall suggests building should reopen

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Vets with the spirited Bill Motto Post aren't buying the county's claim that the Veterans Memorial Building should be shut down.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of42
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Only in Santa Cruz

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Elias wrote:
Veterans aren't exactly very high on the list Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors and Democratic Central Committee issues.
I agree with you. If this was a building housing something green, or organic we probably
would not be discussing it.
bob patton

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

For those that have no clue:(Gridley Camp No. 104 v. Board of Supervisors) states "once a government entity dedicates a veterans' memorial, it has a mandatory duty to maintain it." Westlaw.com . In a "letter-of-agreement ", dated Sep. 9 1980, the County is named as "the owner", the United Veterans Council (UVC) directed "to coordinate the needs of the veterans." It's obvious the County has failed its duty because of the "deferred maintenance" problem. Attachment "B" of this same agreement names "All Veterans Organizations" as "Priority Use Group 1."
Incredulous

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Elias wrote:
Veterans aren't exactly very high on the list Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors and Democratic Central Committee issues.

Well WHY NOT!? They should be!
hum

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Coulrophobia wrote:
Anyone want to tell me what would make rebar swell other than water intrusion? That's pretty serious deterioration. If the rebar expands, the concrete around it fractures in unpredictable ways.
Well why did that water intrusion happen? Does not the county have responsibility to properly and regularly maintain and repair their buildings? If water got in, there was a leak some where, if there was a leak some where it should have been fixed.....right...?
MeeToo

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Seems to me, they saw this as a way to "save money". Please re-open the Vet's Hall. It serves the entire community.
Coulrophobia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

REALpeople wrote:
Please bring back the vets hall. It served so many people in this county. From people who served our country to tax paying citizens gathering for yoga and dance courses.
It's common for veterans' halls (think of all the VFW halls you see across the country) to be let out for events and meetings. It;s a way to make money: the space is rented out for a fee.
Coulrophobia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

hum wrote:
<quoted text>
Well why did that water intrusion happen? Does not the county have responsibility to properly and regularly maintain and repair their buildings? If water got in, there was a leak some where, if there was a leak some where it should have been fixed.....right...?
My point was that it's not likely to be just one rod of rebar, or even a small section. That kind of deterioration can be indicative of a much larger problem. I know no more about what's really going on there than what is reported in the article. But I can say that if it were my building and I was told it had that problem, I would be very concerned.
hum

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Coulrophobia wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was that it's not likely to be just one rod of rebar, or even a small section. That kind of deterioration can be indicative of a much larger problem. I know no more about what's really going on there than what is reported in the article. But I can say that if it were my building and I was told it had that problem, I would be very concerned.
True, it is a big problem, but legally this should never have been allowed to happen in the first place.
Cluck cluck

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

"Brief visual inspection" in engineer-speak means that the consultants did not perform any destructive tests, tear open walls, use x-ray inspections, etc. It's a term meant to avoid liability especially if the place does fall down because something internal and invisible does indeed fail. I don't think it implies that the closure was the result of a 5-minute walk-through.

Sounds like they might need a third opinion, and this time from somebody not associated with the facility
Taxpayer

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Keep it wrote:
I am all for keeping and reopening the vets hall. Use it for VETS, not Yoga classes and other types of ongoing events that has slowly eroded the many services the hall used to serve for vets. Concerts, fine, but use the money to maintain the building. It has survived this long. Considering where it is, on sand like everything downtown, its safer than many existing buildings downtown. "A brief visual inspection." Geez, can they red tag my home using a brief visual inspection?
<quoted text>
Concerts but not yoga, what is your logic? You feel that it is better for the building to sit idle instead of producing income? I don't get it? Got something against small business owners?
sixkilo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Something smells in "River City". Vets Hall is not a cash cow for the county. It was built in 1932 and paid for by the citizen of Santa Cruz County and dedicated "To Honor those who served in war" That is what the citizens of Santa Cruz County paid for.

The "leadership of our County have failed the veteran miserably. Why don't you just fix it?
timinoz

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I'm sure that some developer is interested in the building.

To the Vets at Bill Motto, I say hold your Post!
naive native

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

fix it!
Locals Rule

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

I would like to know what the city/county have to gain by closing the vet's hall? I have a problem trusting them on this and many other issues!
Writer in the Storm

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Remember the Cooper House? It was stated, albeit too late, that it did NOT need to be torn down.
Let's not condemn another historic building until we are sure it needs to be done. Shore it up, fix it up and keep it!
slightly salty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

Yeah, fix it. It's the county's responsibility to maintain this facility, which not only serves our veterans but also our community in so many ways. The county's responsibility to our veterans has been ignored if maintenance on their building has been repeatedly deferred while the vets have continued to serve Thanksgiving and Christmas meals to so many needy people in the community each year. I sense that the county administrators want to make money off of the real estate and if that's the case they should be ashamed.
amy joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

Judged:

grandpa, i am so proud of you. you have always been devoted to family & everything you believe in. including the VETS building:) i love the picture of you & your vet friends.. and you've got the best ride - love the red go cart!!!!
-amy
your wonderful granddaughter
Locals Rule

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2010

The owner of The Cooper House made the decision to tear it down himself though didn't he?
westcliffseeker

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Locals Rule wrote:
The owner of The Cooper House made the decision to tear it down himself though didn't he?
If so, pressure, bribes, threats and promises must have come with that decision. If you think that I'm sounding paranoid, consider that we live in the age of Dick Cheney-style open corruption.
Gordon Smith in Monterey

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Judged:

Let's get the facts straight: 1) This is not a one-room Vets Hall, this is a huge, historical Veterans Memorial Building, 2) The County of Santa Cruz doesn't "own" the building for public use, it holds the deed in "trust" for the perpetual use of all US military veterans and their organizations as a remembrance (a memorial) of those who fought and died in the "Great War" (WWI), 3) The County of Santa Cruz has over the past 20 years acted in bad faith against the veterans and have reduced their occupation and the use of the building substainually, 4) The County of Santa Cruz has kicked the Bill Motto Post VWF5888 out of their room 23 and have leased it to a private entrepreneur who for profit teaches yoga classes, 5) Previously room 23 (and other rooms) had been occupied by Congressional Chartered veterans organization for six decades, 6) During the 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 other buildings surrounding the Veterans Memorial Building collapsed resulting in several deaths directly across the street - yet the steel-reinforced concrete Veterans Memorial Bulding remained solid and undamaged. 7) "a brief preliminary inspection" results in an immediate and complete evactuation of the whole buidling? How stupid do they think we are? Better asked: "How stupid are they?"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of42
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Emeryville News Video

•••
•••

Emeryville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Emeryville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••