Spring Road back in the 90's

Spring Road back in the 90's

Posted in the Elmhurst Forum

MattyO

Maywood, IL

#1 Dec 21, 2011
I was hoping some long time residents could give me the names of these places and some other information about them too if you can.

1. Restaurant at the corner of Spring and Eggleston that was around back in like 1995ish it was a pretty small restaurant with tables outside. I believe they had little green bar stools you could sat at inside the place. Anyone one remember the name of it?

2. The liquor store that was once across the street from Stemples.. It's now part of Roberto's.

3. The Ice Cream store that was tucked away just east of Roberto's it was parallel of the Prairie Path and I'm not sure if there's anything there now? The building looks empty and has ever since that place closed down.

4. And was it an Ammaco that was by the side of white hen? when did that place shut down?

Oh and anyone remember Charlie's Barber Shop? By far my favorite barber, I remember him having a dog in the shop with him I think..

Like I said if anyone could give me some information about these places that would be great. Spring road has changed a lot from the past 15 years..
Kar

Alexandria, VA

#2 Jun 23, 2014
1. Restaurant at the corner of Spring and Eggleston that was around back in like 1995ish it was a pretty small restaurant with tables outside. I believe they had little green bar stools you could sat at inside the place. Anyone one remember the name of it?
Franks for the Memories?
3. The Ice Cream store that was tucked away just east of Roberto's it was parallel of the Prairie Path and I'm not sure if there's anything there now? The building looks empty and has ever since that place closed down.
Yummy Armadillo!
terrapin crossing

El Dorado Springs, MO

#3 Dec 7, 2014
Lived on Eggleston, east of Spring Road for some 30+ years. Don't remember the restaurant..was it on the west side of Spring Road? If so, that corner location was a gas station at one time. Recall it being open in early 50's
The liquor store at the corner of Prairie Path &Spring Rd was there as long as I can remember. Don't remember it having a name....that spot was once a bank back in the 30's. The concrete vault was still there, in the back of the store. There were several businesses in the shops along the prair
ie path in the 50's. It was known as the Arcade then. Last store was a shoe repair shop, then a Beauty shop as they were known then. One store front was actually a residence. Also had an upholstery repair shop operated by a senior German man. He had a pendulum clock that had been in the family in Germany, and still kept it running.
The Amoco station was originally further down Spring Rd, almost to Valette. It was a Standard Station then. Believe it was still Standard when it opened further north. That's been a day or so ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elmhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Worker at spa near Willowbrook faces prostituti... 12 hr Only in your dreams 6
Help Tue Dancer 1
R.I.P. Mickey Caliendo Mon MPPD 1
Little league allstar game 1959 Mon Flyboy 2
Redundancy from WILDBILL Mon WILDBILL 6
News 5 charged in rape of teen (Oct '08) Mon Frank Longdong 59
News Motorcyclist still in coma after November accident (Jan '10) Mon Frank Longdong 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elmhurst Mortgages