Starbucks to close 25 stores in Illinois

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Starbucks has identified 25 stores in Illinois among the 600 nationwide anticipated to close through early next year, according to a list circulating among real-estate brokers.
Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Nov 27, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Hundreds of frozen yogurt places collapsed in the 1990s without so much fanfare as this handful of Starbucks closures is getting -- completely with maps, death watch notices, etc.

What gives?
mark

Bartlett, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

anybody who pays six dollars for a cup of coffee is an idiot anyway.
Billy Dee Williams

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

A lot of these are in areas with sizable black populations. Coincidence?
Billy Dee Williams

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Greg Sherwin wrote:
Hundreds of frozen yogurt places collapsed in the 1990s without so much fanfare as this handful of Starbucks closures is getting -- completely with maps, death watch notices, etc.
What gives?
TCBY precedes Google Maps.
Give Me A Break

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Really sad to see Starbucks leave Evergreen Park. They always provided a great customer experience.
ObamaCountry

Oak Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Sounds like a recession for the Latte Liberals
Melissa

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Goodbye to bad coffee!
Martin

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

mark wrote:
anybody who pays six dollars for a cup of coffee is an idiot anyway.
You absolutely right, especially since you could get three starbucks coffee's for $6.00
JesseJacksonJr

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

The Beverly store lasted less than a year. What's that tell you?
Anon Coward

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Goodbye to snobs who think they are special because they strut around bandying their coffee mug with the big logo. You Corporate mass marketing tools you.
Will

Berwyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

If Howard Schultz quit trying to put niche items into the line up to the register (breakfast sandwiches and CD's) to compensate for his ridiculously high prices (> $2 for Medium coffee, etc)- and focus on lowering the price on a *simple cup of coffee*- maybe he would regain some customer share like myself. Forget him and it Im over starbux once they hit the $2 mark. BTW - I'm not talking about a $1 thimble of coffee, like as is now.
lookyhere

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

JesseJacksonJr wrote:
The Beverly store lasted less than a year. What's that tell you?
I don't know genius...what does that tell me?

“http://tinyurl.c om/dgnlyl”

Since: May 08

Buffalo Grove, IL - HR-676!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Anon Coward wrote:
Goodbye to snobs who think they are special because they strut around bandying their coffee mug with the big logo. You Corporate mass marketing tools you.
Don't forget the oversize cup holder in the Hummer to keep it from spilling on the 6-mpg carpet.

“What type of f--kery is this??”

Since: Dec 07

South Shore/Chatham

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Billy Dee Williams wrote:
A lot of these are in areas with sizable black populations. Coincidence?
It tells you that Black folks perfer their coffee from other more viable establishments...SIGH!!!

Personally, good riddance to the Starbucks that's closing in Bolingbrook...whenever I get a mocha there...it taste just like mud...I mean the generic Starbuck kiosk at my JOB serves better and more consistent product...
C Ben

Barrington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

But HOW will we EVER have the Olympics here?!?!

“What type of f--kery is this??”

Since: Dec 07

South Shore/Chatham

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Scottjm76 wrote:
"The Beverly store lasted less than a year. What's that tell you?"
That says that blacks prefer to drink malt liquor or other alcoholic beverages over coffee. I'm sure that the shop being located in a predominantly black area had nothing to do with it being closed and it was more because of a lack of business.
You know what...you live in St. Louis...so, you're so beneath me...you should be having tea and crumpets with Satan himself...

Troglodyte!!!
The Baron

Lake Bluff, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Give Me A Break wrote:
Really sad to see Starbucks leave Evergreen Park. They always provided a great customer experience.
With their prices I'm sure they did. Personally I get a great customer "experience" for a cup of JOE @ Burger King or Dunkin Donuts. Especially if the gal handing it to me is Hot. That's my great customer "experience".
JIm

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

I don't think Starbucks makes their profits from the standard cup of coffee, which sells for about $2.00. The profits probably come in from all the expensive specialty drinks and from the nick-nacks sold in the stores. It appears that the stores that are closing are located in lower income areas and people in these areas likely don't waste their money on such frills.
Maris

Central District, Hong Kong

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Greg Sherwin wrote:
"Hundreds of frozen yogurt places collapsed in the 1990s without so much fanfare as this handful of Starbucks closures is getting -- completely with maps, death watch notices, etc.
What gives?"

Uh...no internet then, Greg, duh!
Wah Wah Wah

Fitzroy North, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2008

Dear Tribune,
Why do you bother allowing comments on minor articles like this? Seriously, it's the same thing over and over again, with a bunch of internet cranks blaming society's woes on so-called "latte liberals," or whomever it is the hysterics are trying to scapegoat these days.

(Chicago resident, despite what the ISP says, so don't bother giving me the "don't like it? stay out!" attitude. Unfortunately, I seem obligated to add this standard disclaimer to deter the cranks on this message board.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Elmhurst Discussions

Search the Elmhurst Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 8 min KrisChristie 1,856
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? (Mar '08) 2 hr Bellwood since 84 509
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 7 hr crimestoppers tv show 1,151
Officials: Mariano's looking to build in Des Pl... 10 hr Beyonce's Weave 4
Current Technologies Cameras Dont Work 10 hr DB the man 10
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 hr truth 48,865
Current Technologies Red Light Cameras 11 hr the Truth 11
•••
•••
•••
•••

Elmhurst Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Elmhurst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE