Canadians say no to Thun

Canadians say no to Thun

There are 8 comments on the Bar Harbor Times story from Mar 2, 2006, titled Canadians say no to Thun. In it, Bar Harbor Times reports that:

Convicted child molester and fugitive William Thun apparently has been unsuccessful in his bid for political asylum in Canada, and will be returned to the United States to start serving the four-year prison ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bar Harbor Times.

Diego

Hollywood, FL

#1 Mar 13, 2006
The following is my opinion:

I am amazed at this terrible miscarriage of justice. I personally know Mr. Thun and have known him for several decades. I know his character, and know that his values do not allow him to hurt a child, especially through sexual contact. He was convicted with no physical evidence, no attempt to establish the accuracy or credibility of the evidence was made by the prosecution before its presentation to the courts. The first time, this case resulted in a hung jury because the evidence was at best, thin. In the second trial, Mr. Thun was blocked from presenting critical evidence which would have demolished the child's testamony and would have resulted in the case being thrown out of court.

This entire process flies in the face of the American traditions of fairness and due process.

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? The process cannot boil down to the word of a child, years after the alleged incidents occurred, who was not challenged on any of her testamony by the authorities. The process was so distorted so as to not even require the original social worker's interview notes to be either captured by the state as evidence in the first place, or maintained in evidence by the state while in appeal.

What kind of justice system do they have in Maine? It appears to me that, in order to demonstrate that a hard line is being taken against sexual crimes in Maine, cases will be manufactured if none can be made legitimately. Is it all about a track record of convictions, and not about the protecting the truth and the rights of it's citizens?

I believe that, if this process reflects a protection of the victem's rights, let's start with those of the man who's entire life is now destroyed based upon the word of a vindictive ex-girl friend who manipulated her own children into destroying her old boyfriend's life.

I hate the crime that is being punished, and I strongly agree that all children must be protected from abuse, whether physical, mental, or sexual. There must be some way to separate the truth from fiction, and in this case, I believe that Mr. Thun was, and is, the real victem here.
anonymous

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Mar 5, 2009
How dare make these gross assumptions. The family has suffered an is still suffering from Mr. Thun's atrocious actions. You know nothing of this monster.
I thank god every day that that man was taken off the streets for the pitifully short time he was incarcerated. It should have been longer.
Try getting some facts, rather than accusing women and children of lying. White men are not the only innocent human beings in the world.
Anonymous

Tulsa, OK

#3 Jun 10, 2009
Well, I can't speak about this trial because I wasn't a part of it...but I do know that Mr. Thun molested me many years ago under similar circumstances.

If he didn't do this one, well, then I consider him to be in prison for what he did to me. Justice.
anonymous

United States

#4 Jun 11, 2009
God help us all.
Anonymous

Tulsa, OK

#5 Jun 12, 2009
Yes, He does. I could not have survived this if it were not for Him.
Anonymous

Van Buren, ME

#6 Dec 17, 2010
#3 from Cincinnati, you state the Mr. Thun molested you many years ago in a similar circumstance. Mr. Thun is an acquaintance of mine, and a hard worker, but he denies any and all allegations of wrongdoing. This is obviously impairing his 'treatment' and if there is any possible way for you to provide at least enough info through his treatment provider to challenge his denial, and hopefully get him to admit his criminal acts with his latest victim? Treatment is not a guarantee that he will not re-offend, but it greatly reduces the risk of it. I personally believe there is at least some substance to the allegations, but to what extent I don't know. If his likelihood of re-offending can be reduced at all then it is better protection for the public than a longer incarceration followed by a total release with no treatment requirements.
Anonymous

United States

#7 Jan 28, 2011
Sadly I feel he lives in a world of his own deniability. If he ever honestly faces his actions then he has to also deal with the consequenses to him and to the victims. Only this past summer I learned he tried to molest my oldest daughter as well - unsuccessfully - nonetheless he tried. She has a much stronger personality than the daughter who unltimately was harmed by him. it does not surprise me in the least that he is once more in the system and trying to run from his actions.
Anonymous 3

Tulsa, OK

#8 Jan 28, 2011
Anonymous in Portland: I would be willing to discuss with his treatment provider directly. This is, obviously, not the proper forum. If you can give me contact info, I would make contact with the treatment provider.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cedar haven mobile home park (Aug '11) Oct 10 Garrel 4
News Film 'VaxXed' on vaccines and autism to be show... Jul '17 WAKEFIELD FRAMED 1
News Investigators close case in fatal Trenton accident (Jan '09) May '17 Needful Things 5
News Ex-legislator pleads not guilty to defrauding e... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Bob 1
News Cory Lewis Openshaw, 30, of Sullivan, Maine, fo... (Sep '07) Mar '17 Mumu 3
Living in Ellsworth, ME (Aug '09) Jul '16 Gone Country 10
News The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... (Sep '14) Jun '16 Anonymous 4

Ellsworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellsworth Mortgages