Living in Ellsworth, ME

Posted in the Ellsworth Forum

Since: Aug 09

Oneonta, NY

#1 Aug 31, 2009
I'm attempting to find out what its like living in Ellsworth. In particular, is it a town that is safe, friendly, clean and active? I'm fully retired and 64 years old so employment is not needed. I was in this area during the 1963-1967 time frame when I was in the navy and stationed in Winter Harbor. I have lived and traveled thoughout the states and Maine has always been my most favorite place. Any and all infomation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Cryptokid
So You Say

AOL

#2 Dec 25, 2010
Safe except for rampant theft, NOT friendly, reasonably clean and I don't know about active. I was stationed in WH/Corea during your same time frame and married a local girl in Ellsworth. You will find the people reasonably courteous but very reserved and biased against you. You will always be the outsider and will lose in virtually every exchange with a local. And time won't change it. The fact that mine is the first answer to your question in more than 1.5 years should tell you something.
Away

Seaside, CA

#3 Aug 30, 2011
So You Say wrote:
Safe except for rampant theft, NOT friendly, reasonably clean and I don't know about active. I was stationed in WH/Corea during your same time frame and married a local girl in Ellsworth. You will find the people reasonably courteous but very reserved and biased against you. You will always be the outsider and will lose in virtually every exchange with a local. And time won't change it. The fact that mine is the first answer to your question in more than 1.5 years should tell you something.
Gee it sounds awful the way you tell it!
Mr X

Saint Albans, ME

#4 Sep 29, 2011
Ellsworth is corrupt and is looking for new victims. Move here and you will be harassed by the local gestapo so fast it will make your head spin. They should change the name from ellsworth to 10-83...

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 13, 2011
What about Blue Hill? I grew up in New England and miss that part of the country terribly. I spent some time camping in Maine growing up, and just always loved your state. I understand the reserved attitude there.
cryptokid

Endicott, NY

#6 Mar 22, 2012
So You Say wrote:
Are you still in the area and were you a CT by chance? Please let
me know.
Thank you,
cryptokid
OldDan

Amherst, MA

#7 May 1, 2012
Take a deep breath, it's Maine. The Maine way--slow, and friendly. Be rude and people will smile and turn the other way. I moved to a town outside of Ellsworth (15 minutes to the SuperWalMart)3 years ago. I love it. Ellsworth has little shopping but FEDEX and UPS deliver to my door.

Be nice and people will respond. I have found no one biased against me.
Fast Times at EHS

Trion, GA

#8 Sep 27, 2012
I met a guy at UM who said they have a great school system there. Including a wild PE teacher who still texts him! Apparently she had a select few guys who she was pretty friendly with including texting, "office visits" and even going to her house! Seeing some of the texts, she was pretty hard core!
But since you don't have kids in school, you may miss out on this "perk"!
soyoosay

AOL

#9 Jan 1, 2014
cryptokid wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you still in the area and were you a CT by chance? Please let
me know.
Thank you,
cryptokid
CT- 25 years. Was there from 63-65. Really, Maine is the prettiest state. Best hunting, fishing, camping. People are friendly in their reserved way. And I have to say, was building a shed one cold day and looked around to see my Hulls Cove neighbor standing there with his hammer, ready to help. Never said ten words to me though. I would have moved back there but my Bar Harbor native wife wanted no part of it. Go to www.spook or www.casper and ask around and I will respond if you wish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maine Cancer Rate Highest in U.S. (Apr '09) Nov 12 Elmer Fudd 14
Spring Floods Sep '14 The Good Pedestrian 1
The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... Sep '14 Dr Sum Ting Wong DC 1
Young-Rego engagement (Nov '09) Aug '14 dan basnight 2
Penbo Boats (Oct '11) Apr '14 wayne junna 2
Should convicted sex offender Travis White be a... (Apr '08) Apr '14 Jean Gray 4
movig to Bucksport (Mar '14) Mar '14 Jackie 1
Ellsworth Dating
Find my Match

Ellsworth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ellsworth News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ellsworth

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:29 am PST