Finance Director to be named new city...

Finance Director to be named new city manager!!

Posted in the Ellsworth Forum

Kathy

United States

#1 Sep 14, 2007
This is truly unbelievable!!

A town with a population of over 7000 and a significant amount of economic development issues and projects and our city council didn't deem it necessary or important enough to go through a search process to find the best candidate available for our next city manager!! Is this the "good ole boy network" at work? Ellsworth is the primary region’s trading center and services about 60,000 people, as well as 4 million tourists each year.

I quote an news article explaining the former city manager's departure..."We started these talks early in the year,” said Fortier.“Steve has done a good job for the city. We would like a bit more hands on for engineering type details. Steve is unwilling to do that.” When asked what type of engineering work a city manager would need to do, Manager Gunty said the development projects on Beckwith Hill require more expertise in engineering than he is willing to acquire."

I have nothing against Michelle Beal but we sent the former manager packing because he didn't have enough engineering expertise and yet we are willing to offer the very same job to an accountant? What are her credentials? How does the council not know that there may have been dozens of other managers more highly qualified and holding masters degrees in public administration and having economic development expertise?

I and other citizens are wanting to know what was the reasoning behind this selection? What was the criteria you based your selection on? It is offensive to the taxpayers of Ellsworth that you didn't go through a professional process of advertising the position, interviewing potential candidates and even allowing public input as to who the community wanted their next city manager to be. The city council needs to explain themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Living in Ellsworth, ME (Aug '09) Jul '16 Gone Country 10
News The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... (Sep '14) Jun '16 Anonymous 4
News Area students win Maine National History Day aw... Apr '16 Inquisitor 2
News This Mainer read a book, quit her job and found... Apr '16 Lucy Ann June 1
News Story of the Legend of Catherine's Hill Along t... (Nov '09) Apr '16 Mayaloves 3
Debate: Marijuana - Blue Hill, ME (Sep '11) Mar '16 Richard 2
News Young man jumps from Penobscot Narrows Bridge; ... (Mar '07) Dec '15 Kourt2015 37

Ellsworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellsworth Mortgages