Missing Mental Patient Suspected In N...

Missing Mental Patient Suspected In New Crimes -- Bank Robbery,...

There are 48 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 4, 2008, titled Missing Mental Patient Suspected In New Crimes -- Bank Robbery,.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

After bolting from Connecticut Valley Hospital over the weekend, escaped psychiatric patient Roy Sastrom is suspected of burglarizing two houses in Ellsworth, Maine , on Monday, and committing an armed bank ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
scott

Agawam, MA

#1 Jun 4, 2008
what the heck is a GMAC pickup
the Badger

United States

#2 Jun 4, 2008
a piece of junk
scott wrote:
Skeptic

Wallingford, CT

#3 Jun 4, 2008
This is what happens when quacks are allowed to make decisions pertaining to safety.
Vic

Stafford Springs, CT

#4 Jun 4, 2008
I am sure he will be found mentally incompetent to stand trial for these crimes also. Hopefully a cop will kill him while trying to arrest him and thus save the taxpayers a lot of money. Society will be a better place when this guy is dead.
Hawthorn Street

Marlborough, CT

#5 Jun 4, 2008
scott wrote:
Some reporter doesn't know the difference between a GMC pickup and the finance division of GM, which is GMAC.
Milt Friedman

Manchester, CT

#6 Jun 4, 2008
and they can't be bothered to post the photo of an armed dangerous psychotic fugitive
VOTE THEM ALL OUT

Fall River, MA

#7 Jun 4, 2008
This is a direct result of LIBERAL POLICIES. Democrats would rather have an escaped mental patient endangering the public then be perceived as politically incorrect. It is time for a change and NOT THE OBAMA kind.
Rick

Windsor, CT

#8 Jun 4, 2008
scott wrote:
A repo man for GMAC?
Justice

United States

#9 Jun 4, 2008
I knew Roy Sastrom he is a very dangerous person. Heis very conniving and convincing and I am shocked that he could convince the psychiatric team at Whiting. He should be locked up in Somers prison and not given any opportunity to go back to Whiting, as the prison can handle him. I just have to add that he be given nothing to try and kill himself.
Jerry

Orange, CT

#10 Jun 4, 2008
That really makes sense. He is a career criminal and gets a 40 year sentence and he is serving it at a mental institution and he is granted permission to be free. And while out on his own for one hour a day to roam around the hospital grounds unsupervised he decides to leave. Remember he is mentally sick and he is a career criminal. Whoever made the decision to allow him to be unsupervised and free to roam around the hospital grounds SHOULD BE FIRED. Where is the common sense.
Jerry

Orange, CT

#12 Jun 4, 2008
Where is the common sense? Correction to last sentance of first statement.
Jerry

Orange, CT

#13 Jun 4, 2008
You need a rest, you sound tired and maybe you should drink some kool aide
Vic wrote:
I am sure he will be found mentally incompetent to stand trial for these crimes also. Hopefully a cop will kill him while trying to arrest him and thus save the taxpayers a lot of money. Society will be a better place when this guy is dead.
Retired

Monmouth, ME

#14 Jun 4, 2008
Well more of a big mess by Connecticut mental doctors. Hey wait maybe we have the wrong people in the mental hospital !

You could have caused people to loose their lives or even more damage to other peoples property. I think it is time that the " FREE PASS " be thought of a little more then just given out to people who walk away.

I still remember the little girl in Middletown who was stabbed by a nut who walked off the property. Wake up their in the place for a reason !!
curious

West Hartford, CT

#15 Jun 4, 2008
I can't help but wonder what the people in Maine who had their homes ransacked think about this. Imagine their surprise to find a state of CT. government van left there and their pickup stolen? Its not funny and is obviously a very real public safety issue, but those people must be shaking their heads laughing at CT.

Bad enough we had an escape. But the fact that he was able to take off in a state owned vehicle adds a twist to this story.

bam bam

United States

#16 Jun 4, 2008
Let's see, escaped convict, driving minivan with CT state plates, drives 6-8 hours all the way to Ellsworth ME, through several toll booths along the way, and he isn't spotted? I thought the MAN could spot a fly on a horses butt with their eyes in the sky.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#17 Jun 4, 2008
Jerry wrote:
That really makes sense. He is a career criminal and gets a 40 year sentence and he is serving it at a mental institution and he is granted permission to be free. And while out on his own for one hour a day to roam around the hospital grounds unsupervised he decides to leave. Remember he is mentally sick and he is a career criminal. Whoever made the decision to allow him to be unsupervised and free to roam around the hospital grounds SHOULD BE FIRED. Where is the common sense.
I don't think there is one person out there that is not outraged with this incident. It is totally inexcusable.

After outrage will come reality. There will be no discipline, no heads will roll, no responsibility will be assigned.

All one has to do is look at David Peterson's actions then Google the events following. What were the findings? Who was fired? Who lost their pension? Who was suspended?

The answer to these questions are no one was disciplined, nothing was done.
Shenanigans

Mansfield, TX

#18 Jun 4, 2008
This is quite disturbing.... over 20 felony convictions, and this man was allowed to have free time? Let the guy have an extra serving of dessert in return for his "good behavior". He doesn't deserve an hour of free time where he can blend in with society. He was ruled mentally incompetent, right? Perhaps the staff at CVH needs to have their mental "status" questioned. Pull your heads outta your derriers doctors. Exactly what medical school did you get your PhDs from? Fire them all... the CT legal system is in complete and total disarray. I'm just very relieved that noone was hurt.
John

Manchester, CT

#19 Jun 4, 2008
Justice wrote:
I knew Roy Sastrom he is a very dangerous person. Heis very conniving and convincing and I am shocked that he could convince the psychiatric team at Whiting. He should be locked up in Somers prison and not given any opportunity to go back to Whiting, as the prison can handle him. I just have to add that he be given nothing to try and kill himself.
you stated he is very convincing and coniving--then state your shocked that he convinced the team.....did you just not say he is a very convincing? Take it you know him?
more important question

Meriden, CT

#20 Jun 4, 2008
Someone should be asking who the heck is the psychiatrist and administrators involved in making such a terrible decision to allow a hardened repeat criminal (even if he is crazy) free, unsupervised time.

Are they stupid or is this guy just so good at concealing his guile?
Ricky

Waterbury, CT

#21 Jun 4, 2008
It is very apparent that a "Free Pass" that allows an inmate/patient to leave the grounds must have a GPS tracking device attached to them at all times. The reinforced steel strap that holds it on would insure that the individual could be tracked and that anyone seeing the intentionally obvious device would know that the individual could be dangerous.

Had David Peterson been wearing some sort of non-removable brightly colored wrist band identifying him as a CVH patient, the local sports shop would have never sold him the hunting knife he used to kill poor Jessica Short a block away.(Do they still give him unsupervised day passes, too?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellsworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cedar haven mobile home park (Aug '11) Oct '17 Garrel 4
News Film 'VaxXed' on vaccines and autism to be show... Jul '17 WAKEFIELD FRAMED 1
News Investigators close case in fatal Trenton accident (Jan '09) May '17 Needful Things 5
News Ex-legislator pleads not guilty to defrauding e... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Bob 1
News Cory Lewis Openshaw, 30, of Sullivan, Maine, fo... (Sep '07) Mar '17 Mumu 3
Living in Ellsworth, ME (Aug '09) Jul '16 Gone Country 10
News The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... (Sep '14) Jun '16 Anonymous 4

Ellsworth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellsworth Mortgages