Dress Code Crack Down at Gilmer High?
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#103 Sep 17, 2012
EgoBrain wrote:
This goes against everything I believe in, but I've seen the uniform dress code, work. Not only work, but save parents a whole lot of money on school clothes.
Not saying I support it, and it's too bad it has to come to this, too.
The uniforms are like what Pro started with; khakis or black pants and white or the school color polo for boys, and the pants option or knee length skirts and the same polo options for girls.
Also, the button up white or school color shirt.
So on one hand, I see the kids as little govt soldiers in uniform.
On the other hand, I see plenty of businesses that require employees to dress in their uniforms. What's the diff?
They're there for one reason, and that reason is to learn.(Some would disagree with learn)
Gotta give somewhere, so I RELUCTANTLY and distastefully, lean toward the uniform.
But I hate that it's come to that.
"Not saying I support it, and it's too bad it has to come to this, too".

Are you saying it is too bad that it has come to the fact of kids looking "clean and presentable" in the outside world?

When you look good, and feel good, chances are you will do good.

Plain and simple, Gilmer School System has a very lackluster attitude, has the achievement bar set so low in so many areas, thus everyone in the school system look like just what they are.

Second class.

Location hidden

#104 Sep 17, 2012
procon1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that is funny and certainly gets my attention. Considering that 74% of the students in this county get free or reduced lunch, which means they can't afford $1.85, I wonder how many would apply for free uniforms ...?
By the way, doesn't it just gall you to see these kids, and 74% means 3 out of every 4 kids you see on the street can't afford lunch, but you see them at McDonalds after school spending $5 or at Wal-Mart getting cigarettes, candy, chips, etc. OR, they can afford $4 a gallon gas, but we have to buy their lunch.
Remember the post telling of the kids on the free meals programs while daddy has his pick-em-up truck all decked out. Priorities in Gilmer.

I'm not concerned about families applying for free uniforms, but I am concerned with the parents wearing the school uniforms!

Location hidden

#105 Sep 17, 2012
passing out clues wrote:
<quoted text>
Good grief. You ARE clueless, aren't you?
Please please please step into a freaking school and get to know the demographic before you keep running your idiot mouth.
Hey passing out clues, who died and left you king? LOL

Some parents could not afford to have the kids they have, in the first place. But they still did the horizontal boogie, now the kids are suddenly our problems. Wish I, at least, had the benefit of the 5 minute Gilmer style horizontal boogie!

Some parents cannot afford to be parents, while others work the system and allow the tax payers to pick up the tab for their 5 minutes of heaven.

Solution, passing out clues, have your relatives spayed and neutered.
Heres your sign

Ellijay, GA

#106 Sep 17, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not MY argument.
You can read about the failure of public education from thousands of sources.
Start here:
U.S. Education: The Real Reason America's Schools Stink
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/us-e...
How the Finnish school system outshines U.S. education
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/january/fi...
U.S. Education Reform and National Security
http://www.cfr.org/united-states/us-education...

Many Nations Passing U.S. in Education, Expert Says
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/education/1...
The Failure of American Schools
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2...
Report warns US educational failures pose national security threat
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/12/report-w...
The Failure of American Higher Education
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-d-atkins...
How The U.S. Education System Is Failing Students
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/30/eric...
Good luck.
Don't just include public schools in this. Those other countries are besting private schools too.

“Airhead”

Since: Jan 11

I'm finished with commas!

#107 Sep 17, 2012
Myvotecountsjack wrote:
<quoted text>

Are you saying it is too bad that it has come to the fact of kids looking "clean and presentable" in the outside world?
No. I say it's too bad that it's come to----

That it isn't natural anymore, that parents and students don't know what is and is not appropriate dress.
Any dummy knows what is presentable for school and office. or any dummy knew.
And schools for letting things get this far, and not setting examples.

That's what I meant. I don't like that there must be a 'dress code.' It should just come naturally with respect and common sense.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#108 Sep 17, 2012
Heres your sign wrote:
Don't just include public schools in this. Those other countries are besting private schools too.
This isn't a classroom here.
You don't get to order people around like they're little kids that you can cajole and dominate.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#109 Sep 17, 2012
passing out clues wrote:
Thirdly, CAN WE PLEASE put some responsibility on PARENTS for drop out rates?!
Teachers can blame whomever they like: parents, the kids, brown people, even the lepers.

- The pilot who crashes the plane can blame the stewardess.

- The plumber with the leaky pipes can blame the electrician.

It's all a matter of CREDIBILITY.
Heres your sign

Ellijay, GA

#110 Sep 17, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a classroom here.
You don't get to order people around like they're little kids that you can cajole and dominate.
Who said it was a classroom?

Why do you get to order people around?

Since: Feb 12

Ellijay, GA

#111 Sep 17, 2012
EgoBrain wrote:
<quoted text>
That it isn't natural anymore, that parents and students don't know what is and is not appropriate dress.
That's what I meant. I don't like that there must be a 'dress code.' It should just come naturally with respect and common sense.
Common sense, that phrase does not exist here.

Going back tp post #1, has a dress code been implemented in the school system or not?
passing out clues

Smiths Station, AL

#112 Sep 18, 2012
There has always been a dress coadw at GHS.

It is FINALLY being enforced this year.
passing out clues

Smiths Station, AL

#113 Sep 18, 2012
*code*
Bob

Ellijay, GA

#114 Sep 18, 2012
procon1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that is funny and certainly gets my attention. Considering that 74% of the students in this county get free or reduced lunch, which means they can't afford $1.85, I wonder how many would apply for free uniforms ...?
By the way, doesn't it just gall you to see these kids, and 74% means 3 out of every 4 kids you see on the street can't afford lunch, but you see them at McDonalds after school spending $5 or at Wal-Mart getting cigarettes, candy, chips, etc. OR, they can afford $4 a gallon gas, but we have to buy their lunch.
Don't forget the cell phones they almost all have.
boB

Ellijay, GA

#115 Sep 18, 2012
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the cell phones they almost all have.
and the 40 $ manicures and pedicures too..
East Town

Alto, GA

#116 Sep 19, 2012
Sounds to me like a lotta adults need more time working a job, When I was in school you just didnt see or hear all this bs, Maybe its because the internet wasnt out then?
East Town

Alto, GA

#117 Sep 19, 2012
EgoBrain wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats what the repubs say after they destroy a system, Gosh! Im sorry its come down to this.

“Airhead”

Since: Jan 11

I'm finished with commas!

#118 Sep 19, 2012
I am flattered, East Town. Very flattered ;)

You little flirt.
East Town

Commerce, GA

#119 Sep 19, 2012
EgoBrain wrote:
I am flattered, East Town. Very flattered ;)
You little flirt.
Isnt it a shame the adults that are hired and comped well have to make a production out of seeing that kids come to school dressed to code????!!!
teacher

Columbus, GA

#120 Sep 19, 2012
East Town wrote:
<quoted text>Isnt it a shame the adults that are hired and comped well have to make a production out of seeing that kids come to school dressed to code????!!!
A successful classroom starts with good classroom management. That includes enforcing rules. It's one aspect for which we are paid, yes; but it us definitely not the only one.

The enforcement of the dress code stands out now because the administration has not held students accountable to the rules in a long time.

Once things get back on track, which I think they are doing at the high school, all will be well, and the enforcement of the rules will not seem so harsh.
East Town

Commerce, GA

#121 Sep 20, 2012
teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
A successful classroom starts with good classroom management. That includes enforcing rules. It's one aspect for which we are paid, yes; but it us definitely not the only one.
The enforcement of the dress code stands out now because the administration has not held students accountable to the rules in a long time.
Once things get back on track, which I think they are doing at the high school, all will be well, and the enforcement of the rules will not seem so harsh.
Oh I could care less if its on the track or not, I dont have children attending, I do think you have to be consistent with kids or else they get confused. Sounds like the school could use more people like yourself and thanks for your polite reply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal Aliens In Gilmer 1 hr Build That Wall 2
Sasquatch (Sep '11) 16 hr Elligayan 58
Giant Bat in Ellijay (Jun '15) Wed Bill jerdan 11
Coosawattee River Resort Raising Fees AGAIN!! (Apr '08) Wed Concerned Voter 98
Litter Wed Gilmersucks 4
Living in Ellijay (Dec '15) Wed Gilmersucks 15
teen child baiting dogs for sport (May '15) Feb 21 i cant believe this 5

Ellijay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance