Dress Code Crack Down at Gilmer High?

Posted in the Ellijay Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Boo Bear

Ellijay, GA

#1 Sep 5, 2012
A family friend told me that there has been a strict dress code enforcement at Gilmer High aimed at the girls? Is this true?
Bigfoot

Ellijay, GA

#2 Sep 5, 2012
Boo Bear wrote:
A family friend told me that there has been a strict dress code enforcement at Gilmer High aimed at the girls? Is this true?
Good!
Hmm

Ellijay, GA

#3 Sep 5, 2012
Hopefully.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#4 Sep 5, 2012
Boo Bear wrote:
To avois any possible rumors, give Dorsey a call. He'll give the straight story.
Sue

Wellington, AL

#5 Sep 6, 2012
One can hope. There is no excuse for even the poorest of kids to dress appropriately. With the thrift stores in our area, the code should be enforced.
"You are what you think you are."

If you dress like someone who values yourself generally you do..
Reality

United States

#6 Sep 6, 2012
Sure hope they enforce a dress code for the staff too!!
Po Folk

Ellijay, GA

#7 Sep 6, 2012
@ Reality, me, too!
I still can't get over the fact that I see teachers wearing jeans, tee shirts and sneakers or 'tenne shoes' as we call them. Very unprofessional! How can we expect students to dress appropriately when teachers don't?

When I was a little girl back in the 60's and 70's, teachers wore dresses or even suits (skirt and jacket) to school, with pumps. I couldn't imagine seeing Mrs. Mary Bailey wearing a pair of Levis and tee shirt. LOL
dear lord

Griffin, GA

#8 Sep 6, 2012
You want teachers to get off their butts and get creative in the classroom...but they need to do it in business attire (including heels). That makes TONS of sense.

Dress nicely? Yes. Suits and Sunday clothes? Notsomuch.
Mee

Ellijay, GA

#9 Sep 6, 2012
Who cares what the teachers wear as long as they are teaching the kids! I personally wouldn't be bothered if my child's teacher wore jeans as long as he/she is giving my children the education they deserve.
Sue

Ellijay, GA

#10 Sep 6, 2012
Kids need role models. Suits are a bit over the top, IMHO, but teachers should be neat in appearance. Khakis and a collared shirt for men and slacks/skirts for women. Jeans? As long as they don't have holes and look like they've been worn to mow the lawn in, but preferably teachers would look professional. Business casual?
One cannot demand more of others than of themselves and expect positive results.
MISSFIT

Atlanta, GA

#11 Sep 6, 2012
dear lord wrote:
You want teachers to get off their butts and get creative in the classroom...but they need to do it in business attire (including heels). That makes TONS of sense.
Dress nicely? Yes. Suits and Sunday clothes? Notsomuch.
I agree. dressing casual isnt the big thing its dressing like strippers is what is not concidered school attire. I have seen tasteless tacky dress to down right sleazy with some young ladies. Adults need to be checking these kids before school be more involved and dont buy the trashy stuff for them! I have a teen daughter and believe me I wont hesitate to throw out anything I dont approve of.
Ga Girl

United States

#12 Sep 6, 2012
I see nothing wrong with Jean, Tee Shirts (that have school logo) or Tennis Shoes. Gosh got to be comfortable I know I workin an office and if I had to dress up I could be comfortable enough to work with the public. You can be tasteful dressed like that also
Sue

Ellijay, GA

#13 Sep 6, 2012
Some public schools are going to 'uniforms'-khaki or navy blue pants for boys w/ collared shirt and khaki/navy skirts/pants for girls w/ appropriate blouse/sweater (no boobs hanging out).
Similar clothing strips kids of being able to flaunt bodies or lifestyles-i.e. druggies, jocks, etc. Levels the playing field a bit. Poor kids don't quite look so poor if they're wearing what their peers wear.
Gilmer Co Schools need to look to new approaches to become the system it certainly can be.
Boo Bear

Ellijay, GA

#14 Sep 6, 2012
The same friend that told me about the dress code crack down told me a few days later that their child told her that the Principal should also be more concerned about the "kids smoking pot in the restrooms" over all the uproar about the dress code

Since: Sep 12

ellijay

#15 Sep 6, 2012
i'm not big on uniforms,but there will always be exceptions made to the jocks or anyone viewed as special.theres always favoritism.i want tu see the kids express themselves.i did.its not that hard.dont show your tits & ass,guys wear knee length shorts,shirts with sleeves-no alcohol/drug apparel.com mon sense
Ga Girl

Blue Ridge, GA

#16 Sep 6, 2012
I think the Kids and the Teachers just need to be themselves and express themselves. They are individuals and no 2 people are the same. It is ashame that people want to tell people how to dress. How to act. And who to be. I am so glad my parents let me be me and dress the way I want to. And so does my work place.
lets face it

Ellijay, GA

#17 Sep 6, 2012
The dress code was addressed toward the girls with their breast hanging out shoulders exposed and short skirts and dresses, when they had to bend over you could see all. And the commit about locked doors just like home you can leave at anytime someone just cant come in. Its for their safety be real there all kinds of people out there.
lets face it

Ellijay, GA

#18 Sep 6, 2012
Ps Try working with special needs in heels and she how that is when you are taking care of their daily needs and down in the floor with them to help them up and down. Feeding them lunch etc their our gifts from God but its hard when your expected to be dressed like you go to church on sunday.
Concerned Parent

United States

#19 Sep 6, 2012
I love the rules being implemented at the high school not only with the students but with the staff also. They also need to be put in place at GMS I know students who fake being hurt just so they can go to the nurse because they can see down her shirt when she wears low cut tops and a math teacher who's skirts are so short I wouldn't let my daughter out of the house wearing them. So this isn't going on at just the high school!!!! I'm not saying the teachers and girls need to dress like nuns but they do need to respect themselves and others. My mom always told me you can look sexy when you cover more up it leaves more to the imagination :) the boys need to learn to pull their pants up also. Just wanted to say great job to the new principal keep up the good work!!!!!
dear lord

Brooks, GA

#20 Sep 7, 2012
MY MILKSHAKE BRINGS ALL THE BOYS TO THE YARD, AND THEY'RE LIKE, IT'S BETTA THAN YOURS...
DAMN RIGHT IT'S BETTA THAN YOURS...
I CAN TEACH YOU, BUT I HAVE TO CHARGE!!!!

How else will I bring the boys to the yard if I can't properly showcase my milkshake?! You people are so mean!!!!
*Dramatically throws hands into the air before running away in tears, jumping into bed, and sobbing fiercely*

Miiiiilkshaaaaaake!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Talking Rock, GA (Sep '10) 54 min disgruntledinga 2
Advice on neighbors annoying dog (Jan '10) 1 hr disgruntledinga 5
Uber in Atlanta..Are you an uberX driver? Is it... (Nov '13) 1 hr confused1 62
Dogs Running Loose in Buckhorn Estates 2 hr Lazy Board of Dir... 1
Will do anything...desperate of $1000 cash now! (Apr '13) 3 hr Ruffruff 103
rep graves in-county meetups across area 23 hr Concerned Citizen 2
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) Mon Skippy 11,103

Ellijay News Video

Ellijay Dating
Find my Match