Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off ...
Just Sayin

United States

#7818 Feb 4, 2013
If half of the effort put forth on this blog went into attending meetings, speaking up and showing support for the new BOD members trying to get something done, and disgust at the actions of some of the old BOD members that need to go, we might get somewhere. It is going to take an army, we have troops but not an army yet.
seriously

Brandon, FL

#7819 Feb 4, 2013
AdNauseum wrote:
<quoted text>
point of reference we do not fall under these rules as we were developed before this set of laws was passed. No sense reading something that does not apply.
Show us the proof that it doesn't apply. Or did someone tell you this and you didn't back check the information before passing it along to us.
AdNauseum

Pell City, AL

#7820 Feb 4, 2013
Not my concern whether you believe what I said. CRR was developed long before these laws were in place. You can do your own back checking. Make it easy on yourself. Call and ask our in house legal counsel OR call our GM. This question was asked and has been answered at the annual meeting and numerous monthly meetings.
seriously

United States

#7821 Feb 4, 2013
may I ask what law in particular were you referring to
AdNauseum

Pell City, AL

#7823 Feb 4, 2013
seriously wrote:
may I ask what law in particular were you referring to
The regs under The Georgia Property Owners Act.
I believe Nalla mentioned those relative to another post. They're good law but we cannot be bound by them. By all means do your own research.
AdNauseum

Pell City, AL

#7824 Feb 4, 2013
libratoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no, its not my neighbor, they do not mind, they love animals too.
It was the fact that she roamed the roads when we where not watching her (she was sly, lol) and I can understand the issue of her roaming the roads, that why I chose to put up a runner. But given I could not afford the permit for the rope, and since coosawatte was threatening me with fines for having her picked up so many times, I had to get rid of her.:(
You said the fee was what?$50? Seems you were hard pressed to have an animal if $50 was a budget buster. The costs of caring for an animal aren't cheap. Flea control, shots, food etc. ThE costs associated with a pet are not cheap even if your dog was a little one.
Know Your Rules and Bylaw

Altoona, AL

#7825 Feb 4, 2013
Nalla wrote:
<quoted text>
In defense of Mr. Alverson, at the BOD meetings and the Fireside Chats, he is continually trying to fight for those in the Camp Grounds. Please remember, he is 1 of 18 BOD members and he struggles to get your voice heard. He is getting more support as the new BOD members are seated, but they are still in a minority in the voting powers to have an affect. It is continually said by the majority, "we cant do this" or "we cant do that". Never have I heard "what can we do to make this happen?"
I think of all the monies we (the membership of the association) have invested in fighting law suits for owed dues from investment speculators only to capitulate to them. Then compare it to the little investment paid to keep our association clean to keep the members property values at its peak.
A prime example is the RV show in an effort to sell CG lots. Yes, it was a good thought to have representatives there. But, one of the incentives to buy a lot was to give a Time Share contract for 5 years for $1.00, provided the buyer pays dues. That was what was said at a BOD meeting anyway. I wasnt there, so what actually happened, I wouldnt know.
We have an in-house attorney, what is she doing to work with the county/state to get rid of these problems in the camp ground. We ask but get no answers.
Just how many times can the answers be given before you all will accept the response. First step is to place liens on the property. When the judge finally rules on it then we go to foreclosure.(this is the step that the previous BOD's would not go to) At foreclosure CRR can through them out and "clean up the lots".
wh_t

Italy

#7826 Feb 4, 2013
AdNauseum wrote:
Not my concern whether you believe what I said. CRR was developed long before these laws were in place. You can do your own back checking. Make it easy on yourself. Call and ask our in house legal counsel OR call our GM. This question was asked and has been answered at the annual meeting and numerous monthly meetings.
uhm thats an odd train of thought.
My company is older than the law, so it doesn't apply. Call us and we will tell you it doesn't. LMFAO (are you serious?)
I'm older than some of the laws today, does that mean I don't have to follow them?
Simpleton

Eastaboga, AL

#7827 Feb 4, 2013
wh_t wrote:
<quoted text>
uhm thats an odd train of thought.
My company is older than the law, so it doesn't apply. Call us and we will tell you it doesn't. LMFAO (are you serious?)
I'm older than some of the laws today, does that mean I don't have to follow them?
Apparently you have never heard of being grandfathered in. No problem. By the time you all play cops and robbers frustrated uneducated lawyer wannabees and try to hide in some campground lot that is 1/10th of an acre with your shotgun as your best friend instead of your dog cause some can't afford to care properly for their dogs, we'll have a whole new board of directors who will eliminate all rules and regs and turn this place into the shithole many of you in the campgrounds and some in the residential sections already have done. Cowtowing to the poor and dispossessed is not a way to encourage a level of property owners that will increase desireability and values.
AdNauseum

Pell City, AL

#7828 Feb 4, 2013
Simpleton wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you have never heard of being grandfathered in. No problem. By the time you all play cops and robbers frustrated uneducated lawyer wannabees and try to hide in some campground lot that is 1/10th of an acre with your shotgun as your best friend instead of your dog cause some can't afford to care properly for their dogs, we'll have a whole new board of directors who will eliminate all rules and regs and turn this place into the shithole many of you in the campgrounds and some in the residential sections already have done. Cowtowing to the poor and dispossessed is not a way to encourage a level of property owners that will increase desireability and values.
Hey let's get back to problem solving. Who is going to step up and apply for the board seats. How can we attract professional owners with experience in developing properties and managing the varied personalities.
Who is willing to look beyond self and represent their fiduciary responsibilityto manage to entire property.
Perhaps it should be someone like Sherman who hadn''t been involved
in the politics prior to seeking his board seat?
Have a Great Day

Ellijay, GA

#7829 Feb 4, 2013
libratoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!
We had a dog a couple of years ago that loved to roam the neighborhood (doggie police picked her up more than once), so we put her on a dog run (a rope between two trees). Public safety, came down then, and informed us we had to have a permit to have that "structure". Upon trying to get one they (CRRA) wanted to charge us $50 for that rope! Sadly to say, we took it down and had to get rid of our dog for fear of further fines.
What you described is a "dog run cable". A "dog run" is actually a structure made of chain link fencing and is usually rectangular and about 10' in length and about 4' wide, actually an exercise pen, and can be permanent.
However, to avoid any controversy, I'd suggest getting a screw-in dog stake for your dog. They're not expensive (probably have some at Dollar Tree) and you attach a chain or cable to it for you dog.
I'm SURE that's not listed in the covenants!
The White Raven

Ellijay, GA

#7830 Feb 5, 2013
Simpleton

Birmingham, AL

<quoted text>

...By the time you all play cops and robbers, frustrated-uneducated-lawyer-w annabees and try to hide in some campground lot that is 1/10th of an acre with your shotgun as your best friend, instead of your dog cause some can't afford to care properly for their dogs, we'll have a whole new board of directors who will eliminate all rules and regs and turn this place into the shithole many of you in the campgrounds and some in the residential sections already have done. Cowtowing to the poor and dispossessed is not a way to encourage a level of property owners that will increase desireability and values.
________

This person has got it right. Indeed, many of the poor and dispossessed may be added to the homeless in Ellijay and North Georgia. It's never really about people; it's always just about $$$. Big money and/or special interests moves in, and anybody or anything in the way is pushed aside or kicked to the curb. The 1% rules. All others are just part of the 99%.

And here we now also have the invasion of the frustrated-uneducated-lawyer-w annabees? The point is the same as the above, that those with the $$$ can make the law(s) work for them. This fact just makes it that much easier for the poor and dispossessed to be kicked to the curb.

And oh yes... Money interests certainly want to see a more well-to-do level of property owners that will increase 'desireability' and values. Value...$$$, that is... Who will try to argue that more $$$ isn't good?

What of the 'desireability' of 'some campground lot that is 1/10th of an acre? And by association, what of the 'desireability' of those that live there? Isn't this part of what is also being put forward by the right honorable gentleman from Birmingham? Perhaps all this being said was going to be said in any case, but it still goes back to the spending and the budget being out of control, so the dues going to $750 or more will just bring about what this gentleman from Birmingham suggests even sooner. Chapter 11 can be part of the larger plan as well, and perhaps it is.

Some have posted here to openly suggest that dues should be raised to $1000 or more for the reason to bring about these kinds of changes even sooner. This is the Big Canoe business modeln lest we turn CRR into a $hithole, as the right honorable gentleman puts it.$how us us your love and $how us how much you care. The man with money $ays come on honey.$he will always say O.K..

$piteful and wrathful, who, as others do,
Loves for his own ends - not for you.
seriously

Brandon, FL

#7831 Feb 5, 2013
"Grandfathered in", yes I am familiar with the term and where it applies. I lived on the river and I was still bound by a setback so many feet from the river and property sides. However we are "grandfathered in" for instance in the case of how big of a lot we need to have to put a septic system in.

The new board representatives have a deep appreciation for the rules and regs and they would like to see them upheld. Maybe a few more new members who feel the same way will make the majority and the log jam we have for enforcing the rules and regs will be broken up so we can move forward with our image. After talking to several city officials in Ellijay, we do have a problem in Coosawattee and it isn't this forum, the term used quite often that came up in conversation was "that community needs to clean house"

Yes I was one of those that "jumped ship" while I still had some life but I am the one of the ones still treading water shooting the flairs so we can be rescued.
Then you will find me along with others back on board a safer, cleaner and more pleasurable vessal with a captain and mates that have our best interests and current needs at heart.
Nalla

Ellijay, GA

#7832 Feb 5, 2013
AdNauseum wrote:
<quoted text>
point of reference we do not fall under these rules as we were developed before this set of laws was passed. No sense reading something that does not apply.
That may be true with an issue/something that is based on the actual land. IE: some here have replatted lots and only pay one fee because the regulations changed after their replatting. Mr. Murry has mentioned at a BOD meeting that his property is such an example. But that would not apply to an action against a person. That was the purpose GA passed these acts, to protect the people of associations from particular actions.
Nalla

Ellijay, GA

#7833 Feb 5, 2013
AdNauseum wrote:
You could be correct they answered this at the annual meeting and numerous monthly meetings, but I do not recall this EVER being asked. Even if it had, with all the false information, talking out of the side of their mouths like a politician, and down right refusal to give information to the members, I am loath to believe anything they say. Half of what they do say may be true, but who can tell which half it is?
Nalla

Ellijay, GA

#7834 Feb 5, 2013
The White Raven wrote:
.. but what you wrote seems to be the key point right now, and with that there seems to be little or no hope. Point being there's no chance that a majority vote can take place to really change anything very much with the POA anytime soon.
The key to all of these issues would be communication. The communication we presently get is practically pointless. The BOD refuses to record either audibly or visually meetings. From what I understand, this practice is under the advice of some seminar they went to on how to manage a POA/HOA, but take the time to look at Big Canoe's web site (since the powers that be like to compare them to us). They spell out EVERTHING to their property owners on a monthly basis.

That was the reason Kathleen started CoosaNeighbor.com , so owners here could know what is happening. Everything she posts is documented. If she doesnt have the documentation on her site, simply email her and she will send it to you. With the help of others she has approx. 1000 members (and it is growing) in her database, compared to the approx. 400 Coosawattee claims to have in theirs.

In the Highlights magazine, when they post it, has a summary of the meetings with no way to find the minutes if a member wanted to see them.

My guess that the Nov magazine has not been posted is because Sybille B. put forth a motion to postpone the issue of Tiered Dues until after the budget was set and dues established in order to determine the impact of the reduction of dues for replatted lots. After she put forth this motion, Susan G. and a couple of others pushed her to put a date on the motion and the final motion that was accepted was somewhat what she originally had put forth. So I am really curious as to how it will be stated in the Highlights magazine, if the motion will be posted as what was truly passed.

My point is, COMMUNICATION. If we can get to most of the members of our association (many live out of state), and inform them of the true issues and how it implacts their property values, I am sure that this "vocal minority" as some like to call us, would become the "vocal majority".

Just a note: It is really a sad state of affairs when a previous member of the communications committee states, "We dont want to communicate with the members".
Nalla

Ellijay, GA

#7835 Feb 5, 2013
The White Raven wrote:
Oh reaaaaally ...? CRR is owed $4.4 million ... Is that all? It's no biggie-right? Perhaps the timber company can just file for bankruptcy and whatever is owed can be settled for pennys on the dollar, but until then - higher dues can be charged and phoney fees can be added.
It will all come out in wash, but can we doubt who will be taken to the cleaners - again? Abandon ship... Abandon ship... Every man for himself... Will the captain and crew go down with the ship?
By-the-way, this figure told by David Durgan at a board meeting was 1.5 million. I think he forgot a few.
Nalla

Ellijay, GA

#7836 Feb 5, 2013
Know Your Rules and Bylaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Just how many times can the answers be given before you all will accept the response. First step is to place liens on the property. When the judge finally rules on it then we go to foreclosure.(this is the step that the previous BOD's would not go to) At foreclosure CRR can through them out and "clean up the lots".
Yes, you are correct in that we have been told the legal issues (another example of "we cant do that because...". My point was that the current powers are willing to spend our investment in our community in law suits that they eventually capitulate to and loose further revenue but yet unwilling to pay the legal fees to clean the place up to keep our property values from declining even more. I am curious to know the difference in legal fees between them.
Nalla

Ellijay, GA

#7837 Feb 5, 2013
The White Raven wrote:
1. But even more of an issue than what you mention might be the fact that, if true, the public safety department's budget is more than the budget for the amenities provided to the members.

Higher dues seems likely to force many more to join the many that have already given up. Like the story about the property owner that sold for $10 just to get out from under the situation with the dues. Of course this all may be part of a larger plan as has been suggested recently in another post. That is, a bankruptcy filing and then some larger entity swooping in to take many CRR properties for pennys on the dollar. Then as a majority owner the new power could have it set to where they would not have to pay any dues for some given period of years. This point was put forward by the same person that suggested bankruptcy could be part of the larger scheme.

But as it is, and with the key point you made that no changes are really possible anytime soon... Abandoning ship is reasonable, but it's too late for many. Women and children first if there are a few places left in a life boat. Woe to the CRR as it seems she's headed to the bottom. Few got off the boat in time so most will go down with the ship. There's no reason to have any hope, and probably nobody can take the helm to save the ship because it's too far gone.
Yes, looking at the end-of-year report as of 31 Dec. 2012, actual figures were:

Amenities =$272,474
PS =$493,769

But check out the General Store at $111,067, almost half of that for Amenities.

I am sure that PS could be cut, provide better security, if restructured, and this is being addressed. Again, a committee makes a recommendation. It is up to the BOD to take it or not.

I think one of the reasons collections has not been taken seriously until recently is because it was too easy to just say, well, X number of lots didnt pay, so let's increase everyone else by Y dollars. No accountability. From what I understand, some are in arrears as many as 5 years. I have heard stories of some people not getting bills for their dues until months late already. But it is pointless to say what should have happened. We are here, now. But the ones in authority that allowed it to happen are still here and the efforts they are taking now are too little, too late for me to trust them.

I for one can not afford to give up. My property value has decreased $50,000 since moving here, due for the most part to the economic situation of the country.

Yes, I have read in past magazines that some here wish for our association to be a "resort". It was not defined as to what that actually meant, but I can speculate its meaning. From what I understand by MANY of the long time residents, the original developer wanted this association to be a good community for the average working class person. I dont want to see golf courses, restaurants, country clubs, etc. That is NOT why I bought here.

I wanted to be around the wonderful neighbors that I have, the quiet country surroundings that I have. The quiet nights that I have. I bought the manned gates 24/7/365 that have ceased. I bought the well maintained roads that have ceased. I didnt buy into having to pay a permit or get permission to screen my porch or change my house color (and no, I would not go bright pink). I did not buy to pay someones elses dues because of failure to collect. I had no clue (due to my own fault by not investigating more) there were places that were trash and affect my property values.

That is what I bought and that is exactly what I will fight for, I can not afford not to fight.
The White Raven

Ellijay, GA

#7838 Feb 5, 2013
seriously

Odessa, FL

Yes I was one of those that "jumped ship" while I still had some life but I am the one of the ones still treading water shooting the flairs so we can be rescued.

Then you will find me along with others back on board a safer, cleaner and more pleasurable vessal with a captain and mates that have our best interests and current needs at heart.
_______

That seems like a far fetched notion, that the swamped and listing CRR can be saved at this late date, but hope springs eternal. But from out of a Chapter 11 filing there are always a few survivors, and a new and different vessal sails.

_______

Nalla

1. Yes, looking at the end-of-year report as of 31 Dec. 2012, actual figures were:

Amenities =$272,474

PS =$493,769

But check out the General Store at $111,067, almost half of that for AmenitiesI am sure that PS could be cut, provide better security, if restructured, and this is being addressed.

2. I dont want to see golf courses, restaurants, country clubs, etc. That is NOT why I bought here.

3. That is what I bought and that is exactly what I will fight for, I can not afford not to fight.

4. I bought the manned gates 24/7/365 that have ceased.

1. This public safety 'local cash cow' is being milked for every drop. Moo - oove over any semblance of accountability... All hail kickbacks, and the good'ol boy network? It's not that surprising, but this seems extreme even for what passes as business as usual in North
Georgia. Some of you on the rebound that have bounced down to Florida and now have bounced up this way may not be familiar with the good'ol boy network, but that's O.K. cause we'll give you an education about it from lessons that you'll learn the hard way. Another in the long series of lessons will be the 2013 dues. The General Store... Oh my... Some folks are doin some good, on the side, with that.

2. This is the almost perfect set-up for big corporate interests and/or big money interests to come in. CRR is perfect to break up into several areas. One part a private corporate retreat and corporate training complex, another area, out back, a country club and golf course, and a
third area perhaps an equestrian and farming area. Restaurants likely would be owned franchises of the big corporation and big money interests to be just one of many cash cows.

No need to spend a lot of money on roads and infrastructure as the old CRR already did most of the dirty work about that. Kick the poor and dispossesed, under water home owners, and others to the curb, and then spoon up the gravey and the easy pickins, going forward, for a long time.

3. My sympathies about your situation, but it's like a tsunami wave when the big money interests or big corporate interests come calling.

4. With only $493,769 being spent on public safety, perhaps it's easy to see why they can't afford to keep the gates manned 24/7/365. Too many other pressing PS needs perhaps, and good ol'boys will be good ol'boys. One good turn deserves another. You $cratch my back, and I'll$cratch yours. Just where ever the itch is, them good ol'boys ain't shy about $cratchin there. Folks on
the rebound from up North and Florida have a lot to learn about the good ol'boys and the network. They'll get plenty of school'n as we go along.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin', We're gonna do what they say can't be done. We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run. Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes. Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make. The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana. And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

Ol'$mokey's got them ear$ on and he'$ hot on your trail. He aint gonna re$t 'til you're in jail.$o you got to dodge'em and you got to duck'em, You got to keep that diesel truckin'. Just put that hammer down and give it hell.

Hammer down, and we clear and on the side - good buddie$.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What the Heck? 8 min Whip Tizzy 10
Organized Religion and Baseless Belief (Sep '15) Fri Nova36 10
Witches in Ellijay (Dec '09) Fri Nova36 196
Capital Meats Truck-Buyer Beware (May '09) May 26 Toni 406
NATE NEWTON is tanning again (Jul '12) May 26 Off Point 57
Regarding the Illegal Aliens in Gilmer. May 26 Fed Up 16
urgent loan offer (Sep '13) May 24 CURTIZ MORGAN 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellijay Mortgages