Amicalola EMC Complaints
My 2cents

Ellijay, GA

#22 Apr 16, 2010
I don't think anyone is bashing the guys who work so hard for AEMC, it is the corporate offices they have a problem. We all support the guys who hang out of buckets in snow and ice to get our power back on, but the fact is that AEMC is outrageous. We live in a 900 sq foot home. our electric bill is roughly $260-$300 every month. I have never had a bill under $200 and we have gone energy efficient on nearly everything in our home. I even made a statement to the lady at the office that it had not made any difference. Just out the extra expense to go green on top of the high elec bill. I don't blame the people who work for Amicalola. I blame Amicalola.
prolly going to catch it

Ellijay, GA

#23 Apr 19, 2010
our power went out christmas 2009, like alot of peoples power did, the people who work for Amicalola were out ON CHRISTMAS DAY working in the nasty cold weather after a bad storm so customers like us could have power and the things many of us enjoy and take for granted like lights, water, heat,etc until the power goes ouut then these wonderful people go out and do their job and get it back on for us, and we forget until the next outage how appreciative we should be.
These men have a dangerous job, sometimes its still storming and they are out in the rain & lightening risking life for all of us to have power, these folks have family and children and i know they would rather be with their loved onesinstead of missing out on holidays and things while they are out there making sure all u people who are quick to gripe about the power bill have power.i do not gripe about my power bill, if u can afford things like cell phones and cable and so on then the power bill shouldn't be an issue. i would like to thank all the people at Amicalola i appreciate them, u all will too the next time the lights go out & come back on.
Cant complain

Turin, GA

#24 Apr 20, 2010
I love to bitch about just about anything, but I can't complain about these guys . We have alot of outages, but hell, we live on top of a mountain, when it does go out, they usually got it back on within an hour. My heat bill for a 2000 SF house usually runs about 130 month, we keep it on 66. I know people in Atlanta on GApower who are paying alot more .......
Ga Power is cheaper

United States

#25 Apr 21, 2010
thats a negative. Ga powers rates are cheaper. Thats a fact. Ga power gets all kinds of customer satisfaction awards. You cant compare aemc to a company the size of Ga power. Ga power has people working 24/7(not just on call, but working) its like comparing UGA to Ga State. those are Ga powers transmission lines feeding Ga power substations that feed aemc's lines.
Hecate

Mount Juliet, TN

#26 Apr 21, 2010
This is not new, it has been the truth for many, many years. GA Power has always had better rates but we don't get to choose which one we get power from...that isn't right. AEMC should have to charge the same rates that GA Power does. They provide the same product and they have to pay the same rates and they have the same kind of employees as GA Power...so why the difference? I know...BECAUSE THEY CAN! And I don't care if your daddy runs the company or you work there or your husband works there...the truth is the truth. And don't even get me started on the deposit amount. GA Power does a credit check and charges accordingly for a deposit...not AEMC...they charge everyone outrageous amounts. I say let the people decide who they get their power from and put AEMC out of business because the informed consumer will pick GA Power.
curious

Ellijay, GA

#27 Apr 22, 2010
I appreciate having AEMC service. And I don't work for them. Go live in the wilderness and you won't have to worry about them.
duh

Jasper, GA

#28 Apr 23, 2010
Gilmer Man wrote:
Id Rather have Georgia Power , when I had Ga power in Cobb County my house was bigger and the bill was lower! its amazing how one of my family members has Ga power and i have aemc and their bill is always half of mine and i keep the lights off unless i need them on .
Think about this for one second: GA Power is within city limits, not 25 miles out of town. Therefore, they don't have to pay for all the materials to run to your house waaaaaay out in the country like AEMC does.
duh

Ellijay, GA

#29 Apr 23, 2010
Hecate wrote:
This is not new, it has been the truth for many, many years. GA Power has always had better rates but we don't get to choose which one we get power from...that isn't right. AEMC should have to charge the same rates that GA Power does. They provide the same product and they have to pay the same rates and they have the same kind of employees as GA Power...so why the difference? I know...BECAUSE THEY CAN! And I don't care if your daddy runs the company or you work there or your husband works there...the truth is the truth. And don't even get me started on the deposit amount. GA Power does a credit check and charges accordingly for a deposit...not AEMC...they charge everyone outrageous amounts. I say let the people decide who they get their power from and put AEMC out of business because the informed consumer will pick GA Power.
Again: GA Power only has to run power lines within the city limits. Therefore, their cost for materials is cheaper because AEMC has to run materials waaaaay out in the country. Not only that, but when the power goes out, it may take AEMC a bit longer to get the power turned on because they have sooooo far to go. Stop complaining. If you love Cobb county and/or GA Power so much, and you were FULLY AWARE before you moved into your house here in Gilmer County which power company you would have to use, then this is your own fault and no one else's. Stop trying to pass the buck. You knew exactly what you were getting into. Not to mention that the CEO of Amicalola has done a TREMENDOUS amount of work to keep our power bill prices down as low as he possibly can including going to Washington D.C. to explain to our government leaders that raising energy costs with the type of power we have now so that they match those of solar energy costs (D.C.'s hidden agenda here)is wrong and would be horrid for the working man. He has even written editorials in our town paper urging the public to please support his cause and let our leaders know that before they implement such a program, they need to have a better method. NOT because he's against solar power,(solar power is better for the environment, of course, but just isn't practical the way the government is going about it at this point in time) but because we all know that if our power bill prices go up to match the bill prices of a typical solar powered home, our power bill prices would be anywhere from $500 to $1,000 a month! And no one could afford that! In addition, the government legislates how much these power companies have to pay for energy costs. Then, the cost of materials gets added on to that. I GARANTEE you that if GA Power and AEMC were made to where people could choose which one to use, their prices would end up being about identical. They would level each other out because GA Power would have to start running power lines waaaaay out into the country for those folks who choose them. That costs extra money! Duh!!!

So before you start criticizing a company, do your homework.:)
duh

Jasper, GA

#30 Apr 23, 2010
Hecate wrote:
And let me clarify Washington's solar power hidden agenda: They want to raise the prices of our current energy usage so that they match the prices of solar power energy usages so that for people to switch over to solar power (which is environmentally friendlier), it wouldn't be that big of a cost difference like it is now. BUT: Until solar power costs go down, not many regular middle and lower class folks can afford that. And raising the prices of everything is NOT a proper solution. One more example of the government interfering where they shouldn't I guess.
GEORGIA POWER LINEMAN

Atlanta, GA

#31 Apr 23, 2010
Ga Power has more rural lines in gilmer county than aemc. We have lines on the top of burnt mountain well after aemc's lines quit. We have lines way out 282 382 and 52. You need to get your facts staight. If people had their choice of companies, then aemc wouldnt exist. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. We also have almost 3MILLION customers in GA.
GEORGIA POWER LINEMAN

Atlanta, GA

#32 Apr 23, 2010
I DID MY HOMEWORK. by the way
30 year GA Power customer

Ball Ground, GA

#33 Apr 26, 2010
GEORGIA POWER LINEMAN wrote:
Ga Power has more rural lines in gilmer county than aemc. We have lines on the top of burnt mountain well after aemc's lines quit. We have lines way out 282 382 and 52. You need to get your facts staight. If people had their choice of companies, then aemc wouldnt exist. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. We also have almost 3MILLION customers in GA.
Amen! GA Power is the BEST utility I have had in my life. The rates are reasonable, they offer all sorts of energy savings ideas, customer service is fine and the linemen (like you) excel especially in times of crisis and happen to be great people.
GA Power also has a stellar reputation for helping out neighboring or nearby states after weather related disasters.
I live in Coosawattee where we have both GA Power and AEMC. Most GA Power customers are are quite satisfied while most AEMC customers would like to get rid of them but can't.
When it came to restoring power during the multiple outages this past winter, GA Power left AEMC in the dark, literally!
Keep up your good work but please let your customers do the talking about your virtues. Have a good one!
Ga P

United States

#34 Apr 26, 2010
thanks!
duh

Ellijay, GA

#35 Apr 27, 2010
GEORGIA POWER LINEMAN wrote:
That is a bold faced lie. I've done my homework. AEMC has much more power lines in footage that Ga Power. It's a proven fact. Deal with it. I wasn't "downing" GA Power at all. I have GA Power myself! I was simply stating that Amicalola has more cost for materials. That's why they are more expensive. I actually think BOTH power companies do an excellent job.
Double Duh

Ball Ground, GA

#36 Apr 27, 2010
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a bold faced lie. I've done my homework. AEMC has much more power lines in footage that Ga Power. It's a proven fact. Deal with it. I wasn't "downing" GA Power at all. I have GA Power myself! I was simply stating that Amicalola has more cost for materials. That's why they are more expensive. I actually think BOTH power companies do an excellent job.
Please share your homework with us about the number of lines and footage. If it is indeed a proven fact, here is your opportunity to prove it.
Triple Duh

Ellijay, GA

#37 Apr 27, 2010
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah duh!
Ga P

United States

#38 Apr 27, 2010
do all the homework you want. Ga power gets the service awards. do some homework on that.
SassyBritches

Stone Mountain, GA

#39 Apr 27, 2010
Einzelhaft wrote:
I confess that I'm an electrical engineer. Not that it matters, but it does help put things in context.
The local EMC has some pretty tough terrain to cover here compared to Marietta. The roads here are difficult, and a lot of places are just inaccessible.
Insofar as rates in Cobb being cheaper, not so much:
http://www.psc.state.ga.us/electric/Surveys/2...
The GA PCS publishes what the rates are every year for everyone. It's no secret. In dealing with the EMC, my suggestion is make an appointment, have a written agenda submitted to discuss, and have your facts together. You'll get results.
In general, saying "You suck" won't effect much positive change ...
Just my 2 cents.
Einzelhaft
Good comments.
Ga Girl 56

Atlanta, GA

#40 Apr 27, 2010
I have to admit, I love these guys. When I've been without power for, at times, 16 hours because of terrible summer/spring storms or snow and ice, I just thank God when I know they are on my road. I've seen it sometimes where they literally had to cut a path along the road in order to reach each downed line or pole. Thank you guys. You're the best.
Ga P

United States

#41 Apr 28, 2010
why does aemc call it a deposit if they dont give it back? they charge these rates and dont even provide uniforms and there equipment is run down. Where does all the money go? i work for ga p. in atl and would rather stay there than work where i live for aemc. Ga p. treats us and our customers great.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do black brag about being "grown"? 6 min Marble Man 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 14 min Maria salzora 21,289
Leadership 1 hr Sickening 1
Fannin football (Aug '16) 2 hr 1bidbob 81
Columbia County Scandals 3 hr getmeouttahere 7
Sex offender associating with child abuse program (Jul '15) Fri emerald question 36
body found on fort mountain why no more been told (Sep '10) Fri names matter 17

Ellijay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellijay Mortgages