Ideas to restore Gilmer County - Part I

Posted in the Ellijay Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Regulus Strabo

Ellijay, GA

#1 Mar 8, 2012
Gilmer county can do one of two things; either come together as a people and restore this county or do nothing and let the politicians and slick talking pitchmen continue their exploitation of our beautiful county.

Over the years we have become apathetic because times were good, however, now that times are not so good we must shake off our apathy, roll up our sleeves and set this county back on the right
course.

First, Gilmer County must become self-sufficient. We must eliminate grant funding from State and Federal agencies. When we eliminate the grant funding, we are no longer bound to the rules of how the money is to be spent. We become much more self-reliant and are no longer slaves to the State and Federal politicians.

Second, we impose a sales tax increase that is specifically outlined to be sunsetted when the County debt is paid. Additionally, a line item must be added to the county budget for this tax showing that 100% of the tax collected goes to pay for the debt(this lint item would show how much was taken in vs. how much was paid out). This tax must be done to eliminate the possibility of insolvency of the county. After all, we are the ones that allowed the current situation to occur of our own free will through our voting and apathy habits. Hopefully we have awaken to the fact that over the years that money has been spent legally (maybe some illegally) but not in the best interests of the county.

Third, do away with the BOE and increase BOC from three (3) to five (5) members. The Superintendent of schools reports directly to the BOC. The Principals of each school will be required to submit their curriculum and budget request to the Superintendent's office thus making each Principal accountable for their respective schools. The Superintendent's office will then present the budget to the BOC.

The BOC must reduce spending to the bare minimum - that is, core services only. Selling the golf course would go a long way in reducing our debt. If it is decided that the golf course is not to be sold, then give Gilmer residents a discount since we are paying for it. However, we must be very cautious what we sell because, while it may reduce our debt now, it may turn out to be a big mistake down the road.

Fourth, control growth in the county. We must think long and hard about what we want added to our community. Do we want more box stores; more industry, tourism? More residential building? Just adding businesses and houses to our community without serious though to future ramifications can be disastrous.

For example, I read a while back about a proposed RV Park for Gilmer County. How many jobs will this create? How much revenue will this bring into the county? Maybe more in tax revenues, however, I submit to you that our current county situation will not foster much of increase in money spent within the county (except for the RV Park). Currently our county has little to offer regarding tourism (but this could change if we decide this is the direction we want to proceed). So the owners of the park make money and the rest of the businesses see little to no increase in revenue. At this point in time, an RV park would not be in the best interest of the county.

We should wait for our county to be debt-free and empty homes and businesses filled before we even consider knocking down more mountain land for growth.

Fifth, revitalize downtown Ellijay. Switch the Sheriff's CID Office on the roundabout and the current location of the Chamber of Commerce. We want tourists to know what we have to offer and placing the Chamber on the roundabout allows much easier access to County information.
Regulus Strabo

Ellijay, GA

#2 Mar 8, 2012
Maybe even come up with a theme; an old civil war town, old farming town, etc. A gimmick to bring tourists downtown to shop. Heck, you could even provide "Gilmer Bucks" where $1 Gilmer Buck is given out for every $10.00 spent in the store. These Gilmer Bucks would be just like real money and spent at all businesses that accept Gilmer Bucks (hopefully all of them). How about a permanent, centralized farmer's market where all of our local produce can be purchased?

I think we could, realistically, be out of debt within 4-6 years or less with this plan. Additionally, I believe that Gilmer County will suddenly have businesses knocking our doors down to locate here. And we have the say if they fit in with our current and future plans.
southern gentleman

Ellijay, GA

#3 Mar 8, 2012
Regulus Strabo wrote:
Maybe even come up with a theme; an old civil war town, old farming town, etc. A gimmick to bring tourists downtown to shop. Heck, you could even provide "Gilmer Bucks" where $1 Gilmer Buck is given out for every $10.00 spent in the store. These Gilmer Bucks would be just like real money and spent at all businesses that accept Gilmer Bucks (hopefully all of them). How about a permanent, centralized farmer's market where all of our local produce can be purchased?
I think we could, realistically, be out of debt within 4-6 years or less with this plan. Additionally, I believe that Gilmer County will suddenly have businesses knocking our doors down to locate here. And we have the say if they fit in with our current and future plans.
This is a good place to start. It is a plan. If we all would build on it we could fix things.
Ellijayrocks

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Mar 8, 2012
Wow just wow .....we actually have a poster here now that makes sense and has a real plan .....best thread I have seen on Ellijay topix in a long long time ...I certainly agree with you on the gimmick thing ......the town has never been promoted properly by ANYONE ....but nothing will ever change here with the same old hacks being voted in year after year ....first place to start is to vote out every one of these worthless MOFO's ......

Since: Mar 12

Ellijay, GA

#5 Mar 8, 2012
Regulus Strabo wrote:
Gilmer county can do one of two things; either come together as a people and restore this county or do nothing and let the politicians and slick talking pitchmen continue their exploitation of our beautiful county.
Over the years we have become apathetic because times were good, however, now that times are not so good we must shake off our apathy, roll up our sleeves and set this county back on the right
course.
First, Gilmer County must become self-sufficient. We must eliminate grant funding from State and Federal agencies. When we eliminate the grant funding, we are no longer bound to the rules of how the money is to be spent. We become much more self-reliant and are no longer slaves to the State and Federal politicians.
Second, we impose a sales tax increase that is specifically outlined to be sunsetted when the County debt is paid. Additionally, a line item must be added to the county budget for this tax showing that 100% of the tax collected goes to pay for the debt(this lint item would show how much was taken in vs. how much was paid out). This tax must be done to eliminate the possibility of insolvency of the county. After all, we are the ones that allowed the current situation to occur of our own free will through our voting and apathy habits. Hopefully we have awaken to the fact that over the years that money has been spent legally (maybe some illegally) but not in the best interests of the county.
Third, do away with the BOE and increase BOC from three (3) to five (5) members. The Superintendent of schools reports directly to the BOC. The Principals of each school will be required to submit their curriculum and budget request to the Superintendent's office thus making each Principal accountable for their respective schools. The Superintendent's office will then present the budget to the BOC.
The BOC must reduce spending to the bare minimum - that is, core services only. Selling the golf course would go a long way in reducing our debt. If it is decided that the golf course is not to be sold, then give Gilmer residents a discount since we are paying for it. However, we must be very cautious what we sell because, while it may reduce our debt now, it may turn out to be a big mistake down the road.
Fourth, control growth in the county. We must think long and hard about what we want added to our community. Do we want more box stores; more industry, tourism? More residential building? Just adding businesses and houses to our community without serious though to future ramifications can be disastrous.
For example, I read a while back about a proposed RV Park for Gilmer County. How many jobs will this create? How much revenue will this bring into the county? Maybe more in tax revenues, however, I submit to you that our current county situation will not foster much of increase in money spent within the county (except for the RV Park). Currently our county has little to offer regarding tourism (but this could change if we decide this is the direction we want to proceed). So the owners of the park make money and the rest of the businesses see little to no increase in revenue. At this point in time, an RV park would not be in the best interest of the county.
We should wait for our county to be debt-free and empty homes and businesses filled before we even consider knocking down more mountain land for growth.
Fifth, revitalize downtown Ellijay. Switch the Sheriff's CID Office on the roundabout and the current location of the Chamber of Commerce. We want tourists to know what we have to offer and placing the Chamber on the roundabout allows much easier access to County information.
Great ideas. I know there has been a train that went to blue ridge and back a few times, that could become a full time things and would help revitalize downtown like it did in Blue Ridge.
Stonewall

Talking Rock, GA

#6 Mar 8, 2012
Regulus Strabo wrote:
Maybe even come up with a theme; an old civil war town,
That's a great idea and would give Gilmer the chance to do what they do best, take in some tourist bucks and reinvent history. Maybe this time the South will win!

Look away, look away, look away Dixieland.
No Name

Ellijay, GA

#7 Mar 9, 2012
First thing that Gilmer businesses are going to have to do is quit trying to rip off their customers.

It is not just gas prices that are higher. Usually I stop and get a sausage biscuit and a small coke to go at the fast food restaurant at malfunction junction for $3.09. Yesterday I was in a hurry and did not stop in Ellijay but continued to Chatsworth.

I stopped at the same named restaurant at the corner of 411 and G I Maddox Pkwy and got the same order for $2.65.

That is 44 cents less folks. That is 14%. What is up?

The more I discover this, the more I tend to spend money in other counties when I am there anyway buying gas.

“Airhead”

Since: Jan 11

I'm finished with commas!

#8 Mar 9, 2012
I like -love- all the ideas here, so far. Except the raising taxes thing. I'm not a raise taxes person, at all.
But the rest is inspiring. I love the utilizing the river front suggestion, especially.

No Name~ That just ticks me off. I also go to Chatsworth, to buy certain things. Because it's cheaper.

**For just one example of many; I spend a whole $1 less on a lb of butter, over there.**
That adds up. I use a lot of butter. It's worth the drive.
Or I'm completely stubborn.
farmer

Ellijay, GA

#9 Mar 9, 2012
No Name wrote:
First thing that Gilmer businesses are going to have to do is quit trying to rip off their customers.
It is not just gas prices that are higher. Usually I stop and get a sausage biscuit and a small coke to go at the fast food restaurant at malfunction junction for $3.09. Yesterday I was in a hurry and did not stop in Ellijay but continued to Chatsworth.
I stopped at the same named restaurant at the corner of 411 and G I Maddox Pkwy and got the same order for $2.65.
That is 44 cents less folks. That is 14%. What is up?
The more I discover this, the more I tend to spend money in other counties when I am there anyway buying gas.
Seed potatoes at Ace hardware of Ellijay $22.00 per 50 lb bag
Seed potatoes at Fannin Co-op 18.00 per 50 lb
No Name

Ellijay, GA

#10 Mar 9, 2012
I tried to buy a new vehicle in Ellijay. Ended up buying it in Blue Ridge because of better price.

I'm sure that cost Gilmer County some tax revenue. I don't know how much but I was not going to spend more for the same vehicle just to keep the tax revenue in Gilmer County.

Ego - are all groceries less expensive in Chatsworth, or just butter? Are grocierie in Chatsworth less expensive than Fannin or Pickens?

“Airhead”

#12 Mar 9, 2012
No Name wrote:
Ego - are all groceries less expensive in Chatsworth, or just butter? Are grocierie in Chatsworth less expensive than Fannin or Pickens?
Well..I absolutely do grocery shop in town (Ellijay), for day to day stuff. I love Ingles, it's so clean and has a large variety. But maybe once a month or twice, when I do stock up shopping, I go to Chatsworth. To Aldi's or --I think the other one is Shop Rite. Don't quote me on that, I just go and OBVIOUSLY pay little attention to the name of the store :D

Is Kroger in Pickens? Again, I also pay no attention to when I've crossed a county line. I'm a huge Kroger fan and love their sales.

Since: Feb 12

Ellijay, GA

#13 Mar 9, 2012
Good thoughts and ideas from R.S. Time and thought certainly went into his/her statements.

Regarding new taxes .... We need a tax commissioner who will do the job he/she is paid to do.

If you or I were hired into a company, then told the boss we would only do 50% of the job, we would be canned !

Current delinquent Gilmer taxes are 8 million, delinquent taxes for past 2 years are an additional 4 million.

Taxes must be paid, maybe new taxes would not be needed.
Mack

Ellijay, GA

#14 Mar 9, 2012
Brownbeard maybe you could run for Tax Comm. and BOE.

“Airhead”

#15 Mar 9, 2012
The M0untains V0ice wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a curious question regarding the price of butter. When you are comparing the prices - what Stores are you comparing?
For example, are you comparing Ellijay Walmart to a Chatsworth Food Lion / Ingles?
Or are you comparing Ellijay Food Lion / Ingles to Chatsworth Food Lion / Ingles??
I'm just wondering if it's the Big Box Store (Wal-mart) that causes a rise in prices
Mountains Voice~~
Staying on the butter price question, Walmart does probably carry a minus .50 price tag, than the other Ellijay stores.
Now I'm not a Walmart hater, but I started steering away from them last year, when they were charging over $4.50 for milk. I found it ridiculous that you had to ASK for another grocers milk price, to get a lower price at the check out. I felt ripped off.
And frankly, I don't think their prices are lower anymore. And they have reduced options. I like to compare prices on, say, a can of soup or whatever.

So no, I'm not comparing Ellijay Ingles to Chatsworth Ingles. I would hope the same store didn't charge different prices in another city.

Whew. That was long. I rambled a bit and usually make no sense when I ramble.

“Airhead”

#16 Mar 9, 2012
graybeard sr wrote:
Good thoughts and ideas from R.S. Time and thought certainly went into his/her statements.
Yes! They were great and well laid out.
Concerned Citizen

Ellijay, GA

#17 Mar 9, 2012
Dear No Name, if you bought the vehicle from a dealer in Blue Ridge the sales tax was collected from you in the deal and will be passed back to Gilmer County.
Overdrive

Ellijay, GA

#18 Mar 9, 2012
graybeard sr wrote:
Regarding new taxes .... We need a tax commissioner who will do the job he/she is paid to do.
If you or I were hired into a company, then told the boss we would only do 50% of the job, we would be canned !
Current delinquent Gilmer taxes are 8 million, delinquent taxes for past 2 years are an additional 4 million.
Taxes must be paid, maybe new taxes would not be needed.
For an approximate 15 year period LEE county Georgia was not only the fastest growing county in Georgia but also ranked very high in the nation.
What the point is, up until well into that growth it was still the original local population that went to the polls as the newcomers felt like they did not want to get involved in "politics" and the same people kept getting elected to do a job that had grown beyond what they no longer could handle. They most likely could have only they had the mind set of that this is the way "we" have always done it and that is the way "we" are going to continue to do it. It was not until the people that had moved in felt comfortable enough to start getting involved that the county began to emerge as a commerce center instead of just a bedroom community to Albany. And no, the people that moved in did not change the way the county was. It is still a great place to live and raise a family and the school system is still one of the outstanding systems in the state of Georgia. In fact, quite a few of the elected officials are of the old county families, they just took notice and listened and grew with the county and got rid of their "outsider" mentality.
Several large companies have moved from Dougherty County to Lee County and several grocery chains, including Publix and Winn-Dixie have opened stores along with a few manufacturing firms.
But what happened was the good old boy system was tossed and progressive minded people took control. And again, the people that moved in did not change Lee County into the place they left. They helped and are helping Lee County grow into a place they all wanted to be in when they left the other place.
And no, I did not leave Lee County for any other reason than my wife said she would like to live in the North Georgia mountains and I said we will just move to Ellijay the business and go, and have never regretted it.
Mack

Ellijay, GA

#19 Mar 9, 2012
Great post Overdrive. You said what needed to be said but did it in a professional way. Thanks
Mack

Ellijay, GA

#20 Mar 10, 2012
I love greybeard!
No Name

Ellijay, GA

#21 Mar 10, 2012
"Dear No Name, if you bought the vehicle from a dealer in Blue Ridge the sales tax was collected from you in the deal and will be passed back to Gilmer County."

Thanks Concerned Citizen. I did not realize that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do white people HATE Barack Obama??? (Jun '10) 3 hr Leroy 1,064
kfc 4 hr bufu 2
last post wins! (Feb '12) 8 hr Jeri- 729
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 9 hr Read The Article 11,180
What happened to Attorney Madonna Powers 11 hr Cabin1 1
nana 13 hr mzqueen21 2
Dorsey at it again Fri GAFTRW 15

Freeze Warning for Gilmer County was issued at March 29 at 4:12AM EDT

Ellijay Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Ellijay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]