First Prev
of 3
Next Last
boB

Ellijay, GA

#43 Sep 21, 2012
graybeard sr wrote:
Let me get involved in this discussion.
I developed health issues, but no, I did not crash a car or jump off a building, but I did develope health issues, not due to anything I have done or have not done in life. It just happened.
If and when I go to a store, I use a handicapped spot, display my placard, go into the store, then use the electric cart to get through the store, then I return home.
If given the opportunity again, I would prefer to park like everyone else, I would prefer to walk through the store, for I find it embarrassing to use my placard, find it embarrassing to use the electric cart, but that is life for me today and I accept that fact.
Yesterday I had to go to Fannin hospital for blood work, upon arriving there, a SUV with an attached utility trailer was parked sideways in the handicapped area, taking up 3 handicapped parking spots.
We parked elsewhere, got into the hospital, reported what I saw to the staff. The SUV owner was found, but he refused to move his rig, stating because he had the trailer attached, there was no where else for him to park.
I pulled out my cell phone, called 911 and reported the miserable SOB to the operator. The owner stood there as I did this, stood there and laughed at me for making the call.
Police came, saw the violation, had the owner brought to the entrance, then wrote him a ticket. Then I laughed.
There is no joy in having the placard, then there are folks like Ego Brain who make light of issues, "Look at this" is so bitter with his own life that he takes it out on others with his aggressive, condescending attitude, as seen in these posts.
Yep, there are folks who abuse the handicap parking system, but there are also folks who need and cherish these spots, so their lives can be just a bit more bearable.
Graybeard after the remarks you made on 1 of my post I should berate you terribly,but I will commend you instead. I fortunately am not handicapped but seeing somthing like that pisses me off to no end. You did good on that!!!I know you have seen it several times ,a healthy spouse of someone handicapped parking in a spot is a shame. Just too sorry to care..So next time think of this before you pop a post on me. I'm not all bad...
Lets think

Ellijay, GA

#44 Sep 21, 2012
"If given the opportunity again, I would prefer to park like everyone else, I would prefer to walk through the store, for I find it embarrassing to use my placard, find it embarrassing to use the electric cart, but that is life for me today and I accept that fact."

Don't you ever feel embarrassed to have to use tools or park in a handicap space if you need to. Emphasis on "need." I am the same way. I would much prefer to get out of my truck and diddy-bop on into the store like I used to but can no longer function that well. I have degenerative arthritis and I suppose as long as it only attacks what the doctors can rebuild at least I may not become an invalid. I am not fortunate enough to be able to have full function at this time but that is due To my knees being affected. But I still work 9 - 10 hours everyday and am glad I can. I just have to know how to pace myself and there are days that the pain is at an all time high.
Glad you called on the ass that parked illegal at the hospital as he got just what he deserved and believe you see the point that is being made. No one should berate anyone that is truly handicapped. But so many folks are abusing the system just like any other government policy. A friend told me once that they went to Six-Flags and had a ball as they had a handicap tag and where immediately brought to the front of any line they got into. The person that had the tag did not require the use of any device, not even a cane. That is what tends to piss me off.

Since: Feb 12

Ellijay, GA

#45 Sep 21, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
The disabled, like the blacks, like the homos, have lost public support because of the in-your-face tactics, and the legislation that FORCES people to change their behavior to accommodate special needs and interests.
I never failed to assist a disabled person UNTIL, draconian legislation was forced upon us.
There's a small family-owned motel near Gatlinburg that I've stayed at many times. THIS year, the pool was closed.
The owners couldn't afford the elevator mechanism to lower a wheelchair into the pool, so they left the pool closed.
There were no gimps staying there, but 100 sweltering people and their kids were deprived of the pool because of FORCED accommodation of disabled people who were not even staying there.
This onerous legislation has turned the disabled into social pariahs. May the embarrassing experiences continue.
Your dissatisfaction is wih our government, which spilled over to the owner of the motel, who had to close the pool. All that being said, there is no reason to call the disabled "gimps".

“Airhead”

Since: Jan 11

I'm finished with commas!

#46 Sep 21, 2012
graybeard sr wrote:
then there are folks like Ego Brain who make light of issues,
It's the way I talk, Gray.

And if you've ever been in the grocery store, and a girl/lady/woman has ever asked you if she could reach something for you, or offered to get you anything else, it was probably me.

“Airhead”

Since: Jan 11

I'm finished with commas!

#47 Sep 21, 2012
And I have noticed those closed and drained pools all over N. Georgia and Tennessee.

This has to stop.

Ellijay, GA

#48 Sep 21, 2012
Lets think wrote:
"If given the opportunity again, I would prefer to park like everyone else, I would prefer to walk through the store, for I find it embarrassing to use my placard, find it embarrassing to use the electric cart, but that is life for me today and I accept that fact."
Don't you ever feel embarrassed to have to use tools or park in a handicap space if you need to. Emphasis on "need." I am the same way. I would much prefer to get out of my truck and diddy-bop on into the store like I used to but can no longer function that well. I have degenerative arthritis and I suppose as long as it only attacks what the doctors can rebuild at least I may not become an invalid. I am not fortunate enough to be able to have full function at this time but that is due To my knees being affected. But I still work 9 - 10 hours everyday and am glad I can. I just have to know how to pace myself and there are days that the pain is at an all time high.
Glad you called on the ass that parked illegal at the hospital as he got just what he deserved and believe you see the point that is being made. No one should berate anyone that is truly handicapped. But so many folks are abusing the system just like any other government policy. A friend told me once that they went to Six-Flags and had a ball as they had a handicap tag and where immediately brought to the front of any line they got into. The person that had the tag did not require the use of any device, not even a cane. That is what tends to piss me off.
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. I wish you good luck.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#49 Sep 21, 2012
graybeard sr wrote:
Your dissatisfaction is wih our government, which spilled over to the owner of the motel, who had to close the pool. All that being said, there is no reason to call the disabled "gimps".
The REASON is, it was MY post, MY opinion, and I used MY choice of word.

You get to write YOUR posts.
I get to write mine.
That's how these forums work.

The fact that you're a cripple gives you special parking privileges. It does NOT give you the right to dictate other people's vocabulary.

I could have used damaged, mutant, feeble, defective, deformed, impaired, crippled, incapacitated, game, handicapped, lame, mangled, or mutilated.
I chose gimp.

Location hidden

#50 Sep 22, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
<quoted text>
I get to write mine.
The fact that you're a cripple gives you special parking privileges. It does NOT give you the right to dictate other people's vocabulary.
I could have used damaged, mutant, feeble, defective, deformed, impaired, crippled, incapacitated, game, handicapped, lame, mangled, or mutilated.
I chose gimp.
Have to make a comment regarding your words to Gb.

No dog in this fight but, seems I've read where vicious name calling such as your words are outlawed on the forum.

Reality, you're one sorry a$$ P.O.S, disguised as human life to speak to anyone in that manner.

If you're unlucky enough to become physically disabled one day ( you're already there mentally), I hope you recall the name calling to those who are having a tough go of it.

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to have you ask me for assistance, you never know. Please ask !!!

Location hidden

#51 Sep 22, 2012
Brads Place wrote:
I've read where vicious name calling such as your words are outlawed on the forum.
I don't usually teach the meaning of words to uncivilized illiterates,
but in your case I'm going to make an exception.

Assuming that your vulgar name-calling outburst is based on my use of the word "gimp":

The Authority for the meaning of words is Websters Dictionary. It defines "gimp" as :

gimp
noun
Definition of GIMP
1: cripple 1a
2: limp <walks with a gimp — Damon Runyon>

See: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gim...

A less authoritative definition is provided by dictionary.com :

gimp
noun
1. a limp.
2. a person who limps; lame person.
verb (used without object)
3. to limp; walk in a halting manner: a sprain that made her gimp for weeks.
Origin:
1920–25, Americanism ; origin uncertain

Related forms
gimp·y, adjective

See: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gimp

The word is not vicious or derogatory.
It describes an ambulatory condition.

You see, Brad, your problem is not just that you're an uninformed, uneducated and nasty oaf, but that your stupidity causes you to behave in a violent, uncivilized fashion.

You make false accusations.
You call people "POS".
You're a rude, feral beast.
And all because your parents didn't care enough about you to properly educate you.

Since: Jul 08

Ellijay, GA

#52 Sep 22, 2012
Myvotecountsjack wrote:
<quoted text>
Just maybe one day you will be handicapped, in some fashion, then you can reread your attitude towards the handicapped, as you have posted here. ms procon.
My ATTITUDE is not toward the handicapped. I think you need to reread my posts Mr. Jack. My attitude is towards the Federal Government passing laws that will force small businesses to close and have already caused many to do that. Laws that are senseless and do not benefit the handicap or such a small minute minority that it is definitely not worth the lawsuits the government is already filing against small individuals. There is not an establishment that I have ever heard of or used when I was caring for my wheelchair bound paralysed mother for ten years, that would not make arrangements for access or use if asked.

We don't need laws to make golf course tee boxes and greens, amusement parks RIDES, fishing piers, boat slips, miniature golf courses, etc. etc. accessible for wheel chairs. I am sorry if you disagree. We are both entitled to our opinions. I wholeheartedly support all the changes to rest rooms, ramps to access businesses, door handle changes, light switch locations, sinks you can roll under etc. But life isn't fair. Some of us have been dealt unfair cards, but everytime I think of these recent changes in the ADA laws and picture my mother or my friend's daughter dangling from a ferris wheel strapped in her wheel chair or picture trying to play golf behind a foursome with one member in a motorized wheel chair, I wonder what this world has come to.

Everyone isn't entitled to be able to do everything. Next thing you know they will want Ziplines and bungee jumping to accommodate wheel chairs. It has to stop somewhere.

I have a separate rant for what I think of non-handicap people using handicap spaces because they are driving mom or pop's car which I will save for another time.

But Mr. Jack I think you owe me an apology. And I am already somewhat disabled and have been offered a handicap sticker which I have declined and continue to hobble from the parking lot. I have had to use the motorized wheel chairs in WalMart and Ingles and very much appreciate their existence, but I don't expect the roller coaster at Six Flags to have a platform to strap my wheelchair to and pray they never do because I would probably be stupid enough to try it.
boB

Ellijay, GA

#53 Sep 22, 2012
procon1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My ATTITUDE is not toward the handicapped. I think you need to reread my posts Mr. Jack. My attitude is towards the Federal Government passing laws that will force small businesses to close and have already caused many to do that. Laws that are senseless and do not benefit the handicap or such a small minute minority that it is definitely not worth the lawsuits the government is already filing against small individuals. There is not an establishment that I have ever heard of or used when I was caring for my wheelchair bound paralysed mother for ten years, that would not make arrangements for access or use if asked.
We don't need laws to make golf course tee boxes and greens, amusement parks RIDES, fishing piers, boat slips, miniature golf courses, etc. etc. accessible for wheel chairs. I am sorry if you disagree. We are both entitled to our opinions. I wholeheartedly support all the changes to rest rooms, ramps to access businesses, door handle changes, light switch locations, sinks you can roll under etc. But life isn't fair. Some of us have been dealt unfair cards, but everytime I think of these recent changes in the ADA laws and picture my mother or my friend's daughter dangling from a ferris wheel strapped in her wheel chair or picture trying to play golf behind a foursome with one member in a motorized wheel chair, I wonder what this world has come to.
Everyone isn't entitled to be able to do everything. Next thing you know they will want Ziplines and bungee jumping to accommodate wheel chairs. It has to stop somewhere.
I have a separate rant for what I think of non-handicap people using handicap spaces because they are driving mom or pop's car which I will save for another time.
But Mr. Jack I think you owe me an apology. And I am already somewhat disabled and have been offered a handicap sticker which I have declined and continue to hobble from the parking lot. I have had to use the motorized wheel chairs in WalMart and Ingles and very much appreciate their existence, but I don't expect the roller coaster at Six Flags to have a platform to strap my wheelchair to and pray they never do because I would probably be stupid enough to try it.
Heck that ain't stupid to try it. strap your tooter in and hangon!!!!!!
unimpressed

Ellijay, GA

#54 Sep 22, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't usually teach the meaning of words to uncivilized illiterates,
but in your case I'm going to make an exception.
Assuming that your vulgar name-calling outburst is based on my use of the word "gimp":
The Authority for the meaning of words is Websters Dictionary. It defines "gimp" as :
gimp
noun
Definition of GIMP
1: cripple 1a
2: limp <walks with a gimp — Damon Runyon>
See: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gim...
A less authoritative definition is provided by dictionary.com :
gimp
noun
1. a limp.
2. a person who limps; lame person.
verb (used without object)
3. to limp; walk in a halting manner: a sprain that made her gimp for weeks.
Origin:
1920–25, Americanism ; origin uncertain
Related forms
gimp·y, adjective
See: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gimp
The word is not vicious or derogatory.
It describes an ambulatory condition.
You see, Brad, your problem is not just that you're an uninformed, uneducated and nasty oaf, but that your stupidity causes you to behave in a violent, uncivilized fashion.
You make false accusations.
You call people "POS".
You're a rude, feral beast.
And all because your parents didn't care enough about you to properly educate you.
You are an arrogant,egotistical,know it all bastard and I am educated and civilized enough to know an arrogant pompas ass when I read one..

Location hidden

#55 Sep 23, 2012
unimpressed wrote:
You are an arrogant,egotistical,know it all bastard and I am educated and civilized enough to know an arrogant pompas ass when I read one..
But evidently not educated enough to know how to spell "pompous"

Welcome to the forum!
unimpressed

Ellijay, GA

#56 Sep 23, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
<quoted text>
But evidently not educated enough to know how to spell "pompous"
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you. That was misspelled on purpose just to show everyone what an arrogant individual you are.It seems to me you are well read but people here really do not need your arrogance and know it all attitude. Again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to posting..

Ellijay, GA

#57 Sep 24, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
<quoted text>
I get to write mine.
I chose gimp.
There is always someone like you, behind the keyboard, a person who never "made it" in life, a person who never made the grade, as others did, so, to offset your failures in life, you hide behind the privacy of your keyboard and lash out with your anger and insecurities, spewing out nasty names and remarks, but you would never have the balls to face someone with your words.

Fact is, speaking of being a coward, I see you have changed your nic here, did someone really scare you bad ? BOO !

Have fun with your keyboard, punk. LOL
Hurt

West Chester, PA

#58 Oct 17, 2012
It is people like this that make me too scared to ask for a handicapped parking placard even though I need it. I do not have a visible handicap, but just the short walk from the parking lot to the front of a store is enough to bring me to tears. I then have to spend twice as long at the store because I have to go slow. I do not have a walker or cane, but I do lean on the cart for support. While this is helpful in a store, I do not have anything to lean on elsewhere when I have to walk a ways from the parking lot. I felt like I was going to die when I had to renew my license. Not only because I had to park a mile away, but I had to stand in line with no assistance for over an hour. I had no one to save my spot so that I could sit on a bench out of line. Once I got to the front half of the line I was able to lean against the wall, but by then, my knees were ready to give out on me. Just remember that not all disabilities are outwardly visible. Do not judge a person using a handicap sticker just because they "look" fine. Yes, there are those out there who use someone else's and abuse it. But that is a matter for the DOT and the police. If you really feel the need to report what you think might be an abuse, report it on http://www.handicappedfraud.org/ . Again, this is only if someone is using a handicap sticker or placard and you do not think it is for them. If someone is parked in a handicapped spot without a sticker, then by all means, get involved with the store and the police. That is all I have to say. Thank you.
Get over it

Ellijay, GA

#59 Oct 17, 2012
Hurt wrote:
It is people like this that make me too scared to ask for a handicapped parking placard even though I need it. I do not have a visible handicap, but just the short walk from the parking lot to the front of a store is enough to bring me to tears. I then have to spend twice as long at the store because I have to go slow. I do not have a walker or cane, but I do lean on the cart for support. While this is helpful in a store, I do not have anything to lean on elsewhere when I have to walk a ways from the parking lot. I felt like I was going to die when I had to renew my license. Not only because I had to park a mile away, but I had to stand in line with no assistance for over an hour. I had no one to save my spot so that I could sit on a bench out of line. Once I got to the front half of the line I was able to lean against the wall, but by then, my knees were ready to give out on me. Just remember that not all disabilities are outwardly visible. Do not judge a person using a handicap sticker just because they "look" fine. Yes, there are those out there who use someone else's and abuse it. But that is a matter for the DOT and the police. If you really feel the need to report what you think might be an abuse, report it on http://www.handicappedfraud.org/ . Again, this is only if someone is using a handicap sticker or placard and you do not think it is for them. If someone is parked in a handicapped spot without a sticker, then by all means, get involved with the store and the police. That is all I have to say. Thank you.
Your visibility would be a cane or a walker. One doe not have to have a cast or some look about them to be disabled. If you have a disability you have a problem not a look.
I will continue to "judge" as long as someone jumps out of a vehicle and can walk into a store and walk all over that store for an hour or more and then return to their vehicle all with out the use of at least a cane or some means of support... yes, I will continue to "judge" them. And in your case, if the pain is that bad and you evidently refuse to use a cane or walker, you are the only person to blame for that nonsense. I also do not use a cane or a walker, but I do park next to a buggy stall and walk in and out with the support of a buggy. You sound like you just want sympathy not support.
Monkey

Ellijay, GA

#60 Dec 4, 2012
I'm probably one of those young people you see and you think I borrowed someones tag. As has been said, not all disabilities are visible. Lots of people have weight gain due to whatever caused them to be disabled. I gained 100 lbs after several surgeries. Granted, I've lost alot of that and continue to do so, so I'm not really obese. On good days, I park towards the back. On bad days or days that will become bad I park up front. Many days start fine for me but by the evening I'm in much pain and limping. Sometimes I'm just trying to save myself a bit of pain later in the day. Also something to keep in mind, its not always the adult. My daughter is also disabled. You wouldnt know it unless you were looking for it. However, if she's had a lot of walking to do during the day, she's sometimes crying from the pain and ready for sleep before her bedtime.

But yes, if you feel there is fraud by all means report it. The police are at Walmart 1/2 the time anyways I guess it wouldnt hurt for them to run the placard or tag number if thats what they do. I dont really have a clue how they monitor that to be honest.
ah toothpicks

Ellijay, GA

#61 Dec 7, 2012
unimpressed wrote:
Thank you. That was misspelled on purpose just to show everyone what an arrogant individual you are.It seems to me you are well read but people here really do not need your arrogance and know it all attitude. Again thanks for the welcome and I look forward to posting..
i'd have said....

pompass.

oh, AND porpoise.

ps eb, expect more correspondence from..... joe :))

pps and me, too, eb. i do believe you took a direct hit intended for me.
pool shark

Ellijay, GA

#62 Dec 7, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
There's a small family-owned motel near Gatlinburg that I've stayed at many times. THIS year, the pool was closed.
The owners couldn't afford the elevator mechanism to lower a wheelchair into the pool, so they left the pool closed.
http://www.ada.gov/qa_existingpools_titleIII....

"Title III requires newly constructed and altered business facilities to be fully accessible"

altered business facilities. they'd need to talk to the gubmint for the current, timely skinny but word on the net was as long as existing pools remained as is, no problem. the second you start renovating, THEN the requirement kicks in. only way for anyone potentially affected to legally cya for fact, though, is to ask doj directly. in their words:

"If you have questions and would like to speak to an ADA Specialist, please call the ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301 (voice); 800-514-0383 (TTY). Specialists are available Monday through Friday from 9:30 AM until 5:30 PM (Eastern Time), except on Thursday when the hours are 12:30 PM until 5:30 PM."

next time you're there, look the owners straight in the eye and ask them to tell you again why. i got friends who had.. note i said HAD.. a pool at their place. couple years back they bulldozed it over.

constant health concerns over trying to keep it sanitary for all when people were urinating in it was a biggie. insurance cost was another. can't remember the decrease but it made it $$ worth their while to shut down the pool for good before the lift requirement ever came up. for others these days, i'm sure the ada makes for quite the convenient scapegoat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 7 hr janet 11,040
Good riddance 10 hr Finally 1
rusty beamon (Apr '14) Fri Santa 19
gay cruising at 515 scenic overlook (Aug '12) Fri xjoe 93
What's going on tonight on Roy Rd? Dec 24 Ga Girl 56 7
Ellijay hospital diversion Dec 24 Ga Girl 56 3
20$ to who ever posts the identity of ga girl 56 Dec 24 Ga Girl 56 3

Flood Watch for Gilmer County was issued at December 27 at 6:29PM EST

Ellijay News Video

Ellijay Dating