Gilmer county excess Handicap Stickers

Posted in the Ellijay Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fasten seatbelt

Miamisburg, OH

#1 Aug 10, 2012
I am wondering if anybody knows the requirement to get a Gilmer county handicap sticker to place on your car?

I am not handicap, but I am always shock when I go to Ellijay Walmart parking lot how most of the handicap parking lots, which are many, are completely full. Ofcourse, I sit in my car waiting for my wife of 25 years go Walmart grocery shopping.

It never fails, I see a lot of heavy weight/obese people using those handicap parking lots. I see young folks running into Walmart using grandparent/parent stickers for their own personal use.

Sometime, and I mean sometime I actually see someone who is trully handicap use the handicap parking which was meant for them.

I would hope that Ellijay police department will enforce the rule and investiage if they are abusing the sticker. Another words, just because your 19 year old hand over to the cop his grandparent handicap sticker, it doesn't mean that the 19 year old who in the car alone can park in handicap spot.

I have sent my concern already to Channel 2, 5, and 11 investigator reporters to see if there might be a disconnect between qualification vs. actual person needing the handicap sticker.
Slim Chick

Ellijay, GA

#3 Aug 10, 2012
Fasten seatbelt wrote:
I am wondering if anybody knows the requirement to get a Gilmer county handicap sticker to place on your car?
I am not handicap, but I am always shock when I go to Ellijay Walmart parking lot how most of the handicap parking lots, which are many, are completely full. Ofcourse, I sit in my car waiting for my wife of 25 years go Walmart grocery shopping.
It never fails, I see a lot of heavy weight/obese people using those handicap parking lots. I see young folks running into Walmart using grandparent/parent stickers for their own personal use.
Sometime, and I mean sometime I actually see someone who is trully handicap use the handicap parking which was meant for them.
I would hope that Ellijay police department will enforce the rule and investiage if they are abusing the sticker. Another words, just because your 19 year old hand over to the cop his grandparent handicap sticker, it doesn't mean that the 19 year old who in the car alone can park in handicap spot.
I have sent my concern already to Channel 2, 5, and 11 investigator reporters to see if there might be a disconnect between qualification vs. actual person needing the handicap sticker.
I can jump on both sides of this rope..Walmart is in EAST ELLIJAY..I lot of stickers I see are evidently temporary due to surgery and such are normally for a short time and hang from the rear view mirror...The tags you see are for those permanently disable in some shape or form..I agree they should be monitored more closely checked on..Some of the heavy weights dont want to be that way, I'm sure, as most probably have/will have diabetes, heart problems, knee problems etc..Now for the other part...We have serious problems in this county..Why dont you worry and try to do something about that? Or, as I suspect, you are just pissed because someone is getting something you arent

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#4 Aug 10, 2012
Let's suggest the new tax commissioner get into this mix and FINE every S.O.B. that has a handicap sticker hanging in their winder. If they don't have legs , double the damn fine.

Then, after the ticket has been issued, they can have the fine erased, if they can run from Wal Mart to Lowes and back, in under 2 minutes.

Would that satisfy you, Mr Fasten Seatbelt ?

Idiot.
FYI

Ellijay, GA

#5 Aug 10, 2012
The authorities actually can not do anything about the parking abuse anyway. The parking lot is private propery and unless Walmart calls police or tow truck the can not do a thing

Since: Jul 08

Ellijay, GA

#6 Aug 11, 2012
FYI wrote:
The authorities actually can not do anything about the parking abuse anyway. The parking lot is private propery and unless Walmart calls police or tow truck the can not do a thing
So are you saying that the only handicap spots that the police can enforce and ticket are the ones at the courthouse or other county or state property? That all the other handicap spots are meaningless and unenforceable?

“Airhead”

Since: Jan 11

I'm finished with commas!

#7 Aug 11, 2012
Enforceable or not, I steer clear of them.
I can walk, I don't want the ticket I may or may not get, and I am superstitious. And that might be the first reason I avoid those spaces.
gimmeabreak

Ellijay, GA

#8 Aug 11, 2012
procon1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the only handicap spots that the police can enforce and ticket are the ones at the courthouse or other county or state property? That all the other handicap spots are meaningless and unenforceable?
Police CAN absolutely enforce handicap, fire lane violations, etc on private property.

Location hidden

#9 Aug 11, 2012
gimmeabreak wrote:
<quoted text>
Police CAN absolutely enforce handicap, fire lane violations, etc on private property.
Who is correct .... you or FYI?
gimmeabreak

Ellijay, GA

#10 Aug 11, 2012
Myvotecountsjack wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is correct .... you or FYI?
I am.

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/40/40-6-226.htm...
Fasten seatbelt

Winder, GA

#11 Aug 20, 2012
I don't know where you anger is coming from, but you need to get a handle of that stupidty.

My point that I am making is that people are abusing the handicap sticker. Next time you are at East Ellijay Walmart, just observe for 15 minutes, you will see what I am talking about.
Myvotecountsjack wrote:
Let's suggest the new tax commissioner get into this mix and FINE every S.O.B. that has a handicap sticker hanging in their winder. If they don't have legs , double the damn fine.
Then, after the ticket has been issued, they can have the fine erased, if they can run from Wal Mart to Lowes and back, in under 2 minutes.
Would that satisfy you, Mr Fasten Seatbelt ?
Idiot.

Location hidden

#12 Aug 20, 2012
Fasten seatbelt wrote:
I don't know where you anger is coming from, but you need to get a handle of that stupidty.
My point that I am making is that people are abusing the handicap sticker. Next time you are at East Ellijay Walmart, just observe for 15 minutes, you will see what I am talking about.
<quoted text>
Well, my anger comes from folks like you, complaining about the folks you witnessed, the heavy/obese individuals who are handicapped.

Perhaps their physical condition / appearance is the RESULT of whatever issue prompted them to obtain a handicap sticker. Possible?

When you are sitting in the car and you SEE a violation take place, such as parking illegally in a handicapped zone, don't run home to your computer and be a "tattletail" to the news media, instead, grab your phone, dial 911 and get the police out there.

When they arrive, get out of your car and announce yourself as the guy who called 911 and filed the complaint.

Be a man about it. That's where my anger, as you call it, comes from.

I'm betting you would never do it, though.

Jack.
Fasten seatbelt

Miamisburg, OH

#13 Sep 6, 2012
You will be glad to know that I witness serveral non-handicap folks with handicap stickers in Augus. I took your advice and call the cop in all 3 incidents...I witness all 3 incidents get a ticket for violation.

Thanks Jack, you advise has been noted and utilize. Maybe the word will start coming out that some of us old folks are fighting back.

Again, thanks Jack.

F.S.
boB

Ellijay, GA

#14 Sep 7, 2012
Fasten seatbelt wrote:
You will be glad to know that I witness serveral non-handicap folks with handicap stickers in Augus. I took your advice and call the cop in all 3 incidents...I witness all 3 incidents get a ticket for violation.
Thanks Jack, you advise has been noted and utilize. Maybe the word will start coming out that some of us old folks are fighting back.
Again, thanks Jack.
F.S.
don't that piss you off when sorry ass people use their spouse or childs permit because they are too sorry to walk a few extra feet..
Disabled

Ellijay, GA

#15 Sep 8, 2012
I just wanted to thank Myvotecountsjack and say that he's absolutely right about how some people who are obese now weren't always that way, but it may be the result of their disability/medical issues.
I'm disabled and have severe chronic pain. You can't see or feel my pain, but I have to endure it. I was also quite attractive until several years ago when I was put on huge doses of prednisone for an allergic reaction for FOUR MONTHS and gained a huge amount of weight. I can't exercise that much due to it increasing my pain level.
Would I rather be back working?? HELL, YES!! Do I enjoy being disabled?? HELL, NO!! Do I abuse my handicapped tag?? NO! When I have a good day, I WALK further and am proud to be able to, and I won't take the last handicapped parking space if I'm not having an extreme amount of pain, out of respect for those who may be worse off than me!
Please do report those who are abusing the handicapped permits/tags, but don't be surprised if one day it backfires on you and you have to apologize to a person who IS truly disabled!! You can't tell that someone's disabled just by looking at them. Heart conditions, asthma, fibromyalgia, etc. are NOT detectable from a distance!
boB

Ellijay, GA

#16 Sep 8, 2012
Disabled wrote:
I just wanted to thank Myvotecountsjack and say that he's absolutely right about how some people who are obese now weren't always that way, but it may be the result of their disability/medical issues.
I'm disabled and have severe chronic pain. You can't see or feel my pain, but I have to endure it. I was also quite attractive until several years ago when I was put on huge doses of prednisone for an allergic reaction for FOUR MONTHS and gained a huge amount of weight. I can't exercise that much due to it increasing my pain level.
Would I rather be back working?? HELL, YES!! Do I enjoy being disabled?? HELL, NO!! Do I abuse my handicapped tag?? NO! When I have a good day, I WALK further and am proud to be able to, and I won't take the last handicapped parking space if I'm not having an extreme amount of pain, out of respect for those who may be worse off than me!
Please do report those who are abusing the handicapped permits/tags, but don't be surprised if one day it backfires on you and you have to apologize to a person who IS truly disabled!! You can't tell that someone's disabled just by looking at them. Heart conditions, asthma, fibromyalgia, etc. are NOT detectable from a distance!
Good luck and I hope you get back healthier soon!!!!!!!!!
Comin in Fast

Ellijay, GA

#17 Sep 10, 2012
I've heard people say that as long as they have the sticker it's ok to park in them. These people are clueless jackasses!!
Fasten seatbelt

Miamisburg, OH

#18 Sep 11, 2012
Disable, my comments are for those that are healthy....I appreciate your comments, but I am trying to bring attention to this matter. I receive a phone call from a local t.v. station that wants to pursue this matter, but they are backlog for at least another 6 months with other news worthy drama.

Meanwhile, I will continue to call the police whenever I visit Ellijay Walmart.

Stay tune.
Garry Owen 2012

Blue Ridge, GA

#20 Sep 11, 2012
Handicapped parking spaces are there for those people with Handicapped Parking permits. The permits are authorized by physicians. The handicapped person then gets the parking permit from the tag office. SO, sitting in the Wal-Mart parking lot for 15 minutes and trying to second guess whether the person with the permit is actually disabled would seem to be a huge waste of your time.
Beaner

Ringgold, GA

#21 Sep 13, 2012
If you pay attention, it is a mental handicap is the reason of the permits. Look for the bicycle helmets, can't miss them.
Segregated Prohibition

Blue Ridge, GA

#22 Sep 13, 2012
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with some of you. Who say, "maybe they are overweight or obese because of the medical condition." I sure there are some extenuating circumstances. But for the most part every time you eat you have a choice, and you control what is put in your mouth. No one forced these people to eat McDonalds and Wendys every meal of everyday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greg Burkey considering run for election (Dec '11) 28 min Stan the man 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Mickey 21,260
How come we ant got no power 4 hr Roger 2
Bank's Community Building - For Sale 7 hr Ron Paul Republican 5
Phillip Joshua Lollie 20 hr Speedy Sanchez 4
Hwy 92 speeding tickets 22 hr Big Boss Man 2
News What makes some parents fall for anti-vaccine m... Sun Pharma Dogs 6

Ellijay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellijay Mortgages