2011 SAT scores by State
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
No Brainer

Dahlonega, GA

#21 Sep 28, 2012
Reality Now wrote:
Georgia ranked 48'th.
http://georgiataxcreditscholarship.org/sat-sc...
Let the lies and deception in defense of public education begin.
Why don't we just add a bunch of points to the kids scores to make them look better, like we have always done in the past?

1980 test and associated changes

The inclusion of the "Strivers" Score study was implemented. This study was introduced by The Educational Testing Service, which administers the SAT, and has been conducting research on how to make it easier for minorities and individuals who suffer from social and economic barriers. The original "Strivers" project, which was in the research phase from 1980–1994, awarded special "Striver" status to test-takers who scored 200 points higher than expected for their race, gender and income level. The belief was that this would give minorities a better chance at being accepted in to a college of higher standard, i.e. an Ivy League school. In 1992, the Strivers Project was leaked to the public; as a result the Strivers Project was terminated in 1993. After Federal Courts heard arguments from the ACLU, NAACP and the Educational Testing Service, the courts ordered the study to alter its data collection process, stating that only the age, race and zip code could be used to determine the test-takers eligibility for "Strivers" points. These changes were introduced to the SAT effective in 1994.
1994 changes

In 1994 the verbal section received a dramatic change in focus. Among these changes were the removal of antonym questions, and an increased focus on passage reading. The mathematics section also saw a dramatic change in 1994, thanks in part to pressure from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. For the first time since 1935, the SAT asked some non-multiple choice questions, instead requiring students to supply the answers. 1994 also saw the introduction of calculators into the mathematics section for the first time in the test's history. The mathematics section introduced concepts of probability, slope, elementary statistics, counting problems, median and mode.[26]

The average score on the 1994 modification of the SAT I was usually around 1000 (500 on the verbal, 500 on the math). The most selective schools in the United States (for example, those in the Ivy League) typically had SAT averages exceeding 1400 on the old test[citation needed].
1995 re-centering (raising median score back to 500)

The test scoring was initially scaled to make 500 the mean score on each section with a standard deviation of 100.[28] As the test grew more popular and more students from less rigorous schools began taking the test, the average dropped to about 428 Verbal and 478 Math. The SAT was "recentered" in 1995, and the average "new" score became again close to 500. Scores awarded after 1994 and before October 2001 are officially reported with an "R" (e.g. 1260R) to reflect this change. Old scores may be recentered to compare to 1995 to present scores by using official College Board tables,[29] which in the middle ranges add about 70 points to Verbal and 20 or 30 points to Math. In other words, current students have a 100 (70 plus 30) point advantage over their parents.
1995 re-centering controversy

Certain educational organizations viewed the SAT re-centering initiative as an attempt to stave off international embarrassment in regards to continuously declining test scores, even among top students. As evidence, it was presented that the number of pupils who scored above 600 on the verbal portion of the test had fallen from a peak of 112,530 in 1972 to 73,080 in 1993, a 36% backslide, despite the fact that the total number of test-takers had risen over 500,000.[30]
Just Saying

Ellijay, GA

#22 Sep 28, 2012
Yes, we know. The horrible education system is to blame for all of Americas problems. You have been abundantly clear on your OPINION of this. However you did not address any of the questions or suggestions of my previous two posts. Have you ever actually talked to a good teacher or a student that is successful despite their horribly miss treated life in public education, or do you just surf the net looking for negative stats? And also, if teachers are so over paid, What do you think is a reasonable salary for a teacher that is doing their job? Afterall in all of your posts you have emphatically stated that teachers are way overpaid because they make more than the avg per capita income of every tom, dick, and harry in Gilmer county.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#23 Sep 28, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
Yes, we know. The horrible education system is to blame for all of Americas problems. You have been abundantly clear on your OPINION of this. However you did not address any of the questions or suggestions of my previous two posts. Have you ever actually talked to a good teacher or a student that is successful despite their horribly miss treated life in public education, or do you just surf the net looking for negative stats? And also, if teachers are so over paid, What do you think is a reasonable salary for a teacher that is doing their job? Afterall in all of your posts you have emphatically stated that teachers are way overpaid because they make more than the avg per capita income of every tom, dick, and harry in Gilmer county.
A fair salary for most high school teachers would be $40,000 a year. If you continue on to get a masters or doctorate their should be a cut off level at some point on the pay scale, unless you want to become a professor at a university.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#24 Sep 28, 2012
No Brainer wrote:
Certain educational organizations viewed the SAT re-centering initiative as an attempt to stave off international embarrassment in regards to continuously declining test scores, even among top students. As evidence, it was presented that the number of pupils who scored above 600 on the verbal portion of the test had fallen from a peak of 112,530 in 1972 to 73,080 in 1993, a 36% backslide, despite the fact that the total number of test-takers had risen over 500,000.[30]
VERY informative.
Thank you.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#25 Sep 28, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
Yes, we know. The horrible education system is to blame for all of Americas problems. You have been abundantly clear on your OPINION of this. However you did not address any of the questions or suggestions of my previous two posts. Have you ever actually talked to a good teacher or a student that is successful despite their horribly miss treated life in public education, or do you just surf the net looking for negative stats? And also, if teachers are so over paid, What do you think is a reasonable salary for a teacher that is doing their job? Afterall in all of your posts you have emphatically stated that teachers are way overpaid because they make more than the avg per capita income of every tom, dick, and harry in Gilmer county.
You present the worst face of public education.

You demonstrate a fundamental lack of integrity with your constant misrepresentations and deceptions. I don't think you CAN be truthful. This is why I consider you to be a psychopath.

I have never stated that the horrible education system is to blame for ALL of America's problems.

Yes, I have spoken with several good teachers. In private conversation, they are even more dismayed and fed up with the system than I am.

I have never stated that students are horribly mistreated in public education.

I do not look for negative stats.
However, I read a large number of business articles each day, and they frequently lament the decline in US education, such that they must move their high-value operations offshore to get highly educated workers. The consequences of fifty years of rot in our education system has come home to roost.

I also read a number of strategic geo-political journals daily. The dumbing-down of our population is now a major concern for the defense of our country. We need large numbers of scientists and engineers. This is not work that we can farm out to China. 48 on our math scores doesn't cut it.

Your persistent concern on how much teachers should be paid reflects the selfish greed of the educators and administrators, irrespective of the NEEDS of the students, or the ability of your fellow citizens to PAY the generous salaries and perks.

- Public educators are already taking 74% of the taxes.

- The rest of us are doing without adequate fire protection.

- Our Deputies have gone without a raise for 5 years.

- The newspaper is filled with page after page after page of people who can no longer afford a home for their families.

- 76% of the county's kids are on subsidized lunch programs.

- Meanwhile, the parking lot at the Longhorn is filled with Educator tags, and our BOE twirls on their asses in fancy leather chairs.

What cannot continue, DOES NOT continue.
RacinLady

Ellijay, GA

#26 Sep 28, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
At no point was I nasty, nor did I attack you. While you on the other hand have attacked and slandered all educators every chance you have gotten. By the way I do not believe that I have had any bad grammar or spelling in any of my posts. I was simply pointing out that deciding to fight for something so vehemently and viciously requires a personal vendetta. And yet, you have acknowledged you in no way are actually willing to do anything other than whine, complain, slander, and attack those that are working in education.
And you are wrong in Gilmer county or any where else in the country they would make the same money with the same level of education. The teachers that are making $50-75 thousand have at least a Master's degree. Do you begrudge the guy with the Master's in business the money he makes? Why is it that you think a teacher who spent a minimum of 4 years in college (while taking out student loans, expenses, and time) should make the same amount of money as a person who went straight into the work force with only a high school diploma or less? Isn't that why people go to college to one day make more money than those people who did not? With your argument that means that all Doctors, Lawyers, Architects, Dentists, Nurses, Journalist, and any one else with a college degree that dares to make more than the average Joe in Gilmer needs to give up their years of study and just make the same as the guy at the gas station or the guy working at the factory. That is a stupid argument. That teachers who are college educated should make the same as a guy who quit school and went to work.
REALITY NOW just loves to argue and is always pessimistic on ANY issue on which he/she posts. I have given up trying to find any flicker of hope that REALITY NOW finds any good reason to get up in the morning. REALITY is a TALKER and not a DOER.

I do appreciate your commentary - you seem to know your subject matter and always remain polite in responding to REALITY'S nastier side of response. Continue the effort!
Pass

United States

#27 Sep 28, 2012
turniptown wrote:
<quoted text>A fair salary for most high school teachers would be $40,000 a year. If you continue on to get a masters or doctorate their should be a cut off level at some point on the pay scale, unless you want to become a professor at a university.
From what information did you derive this number?

Jeez, you can't even get a job, but you're going to determine, from some retarded standard, how much a teacher should be paid?!

Why don't you get off this site and let the adults talk? Maybe spend more time job searching than dictating the lives of people you don't know...
Just Saying

Ellijay, GA

#28 Sep 28, 2012
Once again Reality you have assumed I am involved with the bane of your existence. "Those dreaded horrible people in education". And have proven my point. That you feel that the only people that can possibly disagree with you on education is someone in education. A false assertion I am afraid. And once again you have stooped to nasty name calling and personal attacks that are neither founded nor neccessary. You call out others on the board for misrepresenting you but are quick to thrown stones yourself. And once again you avoided the direct question to you with no answer and no solution.

The answer for better education can not lay solely in the hands of Government. If you are waiting for the Goverment to make scientist and engineers you need to move to an even more sociallist nation than our own. It is up to the community to foster and develop economic success. As a community we need to not only demand success but more importantly foster success, at home, in churches, in social groups, and of course most importantly in our local schools. Although my concern does go out to our nation as a whole, my first and formost concern is for our local community. In order to fight the poverty, unemployment, and generaal disenfranchisement of our people we must learn to work together as a community not try to destroy our selves from within. So Reality and any one else out there who is interested in changing our childrens future get out there and do it. Get involved, not just by ranting hate and vendettas but by offering support, guidance, experience, and just general know how. I am sure the educators of our county would love the help.(But according to some they should not need any, so by that reasoning next time you go to the dr don't tell them any of your symptons let them figure out on their own, and the next time you call a plumber don't show them where the problem is that's what they are being paid for)

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#29 Sep 28, 2012
Pass wrote:
<quoted text>
From what information did you derive this number?
Jeez, you can't even get a job, but you're going to determine, from some retarded standard, how much a teacher should be paid?!
Why don't you get off this site and let the adults talk? Maybe spend more time job searching than dictating the lives of people you don't know...
Reality you shine through no matter what name you use.
Reality Now

Ellijay, GA

#30 Sep 28, 2012
Ok
Pass

United States

#31 Sep 28, 2012
Turnip, you're an idiot.

I don't even really like Reality.

ChartersStink

Ellijay, GA

#32 Sep 28, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
Why do you assume that everyone that disagrees with you is a fraud? You have made several accusations that we are all the same person with different log-ins. Are you that egotistical that you believe that your opinion is the only right one and that there is really only one person out there that would dare to disagree with the all powerful, all knowing Reality Now?
Also why do you also assume that the only people that could possibly disagree with you are in the education business? Why can we not just be bankers, lawyers, policemen, or any other profession that just cares about our kids? Normally people who discuss education with such a strong opinion do have to have a vested interest in it. So with that assumption, and your statements that you don't have kids in school, I have decided you were a crappy teacher that got fired. There is no other reason for you to have such strong reactions to all of this. You are not a parent, not a current teacher, and as far as I have been able to get from your postings have no intention of being a public figure with any actual power, like a board member,or public advocate. Therefore, I have decided you are an ex-teacher that got your walking papers.
Once again if education is your calling to fix, then do something positive to fix it. Ranting all day on the internet only allows you one avenue, go out and do something positive. Get involved, hold public forums where you can be seen and heard, run for public office, get a teaching certificate (if you don't already have one) and start teaching or open your own school. If private education is so much better, and you are so smart, get involved offer to home school your neighbors kids, or open your very own school. If you can do it so much better than everyone else then do it. And stop whining.
He has mentioned on here before that he was a teacher in the past. I would be inclined to agree that he was probably fired for his nasty attitude, and now has a vendetta.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do white people HATE Barack Obama??? (Jun '10) 38 min Lonney Self 1,242
Organized Gang Stalking What You Need To Know (Sep '10) 5 hr 50pct-Polski 424
Why are Sexy Rich White women, leaving White M... (Jan '12) 7 hr labaritone 514
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 8 hr Wattee Wizzard 11,408
Southside Auto Parts (Jul '14) Jul 31 coty30540 14
Seeking advice / Rodgers Creek area? (Apr '14) Jul 30 MtnScott 18
try to understsnd u. (Oct '14) Jul 30 curious deux 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellijay Mortgages