Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Judged:

I copied this post from Brad's Place on another thread "We are down to one of the two who will take on this job."

So now that we are down to two, I have some serious concerns here and am somewhat frustrated that some of the real issues did not come out in the debate at the GOP the other night. I would like to see if we can start an intelligent debate on line here without making any hateful unfounded posts against either candidate. Guess we'll see about that.

I would hope that the two candidates would even jump in and correct anything if we get it wrong, but let's try and delve into the issues.

I will start with the fact that I am deeply troubled by the fact that Becky Marshall's election campaign contributions report shows thousands and thousands of dollars,$2500 at a time from land investors outside of Gilmer County. Why would real estate companies from Rockdale county care who is elected tax commissioner in Gilmer County?

I called Becky and asked her straight out why so many contributions from out of the county. She said that her Dad owns a funeral home in Conyers and these are friends of his. I have no reason to doubt that but it seems strange when I checked them all out on the GA. Secty of State's office that every one of his friends is a real estate company, investor or lender....? I don't know why, but this bothers me.
For Crying Out Loud

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Judged:

Joene DePlancke wrote:
I will start with the fact that I am deeply troubled by the fact that Becky Marshall's election campaign contributions report shows thousands and thousands of dollars,$2500 at a time from land investors outside of Gilmer County..........
.......... I don't know why, but this bothers me.
If anything was done 'under the table', we probably wouldn't have ever known about it. The fact that ALL CONTRIBUTIONS to her campaign were reported shows that she has the morals and standards we require from our Tax Commissioner. The fact that it 'bothers' you doesn't really matter, now does it?
Plumb BOB

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Joene DePlancke wrote:
I copied this post from Brad's Place on another thread "We are down to one of the two who will take on this job."
So now that we are down to two, I have some serious concerns here and am somewhat frustrated that some of the real issues did not come out in the debate at the GOP the other night. I would like to see if we can start an intelligent debate on line here without making any hateful unfounded posts against either candidate. Guess we'll see about that.
I would hope that the two candidates would even jump in and correct anything if we get it wrong, but let's try and delve into the issues.
I will start with the fact that I am deeply troubled by the fact that Becky Marshall's election campaign contributions report shows thousands and thousands of dollars,$2500 at a time from land investors outside of Gilmer County. Why would real estate companies from Rockdale county care who is elected tax commissioner in Gilmer County?
I called Becky and asked her straight out why so many contributions from out of the county. She said that her Dad owns a funeral home in Conyers and these are friends of his. I have no reason to doubt that but it seems strange when I checked them all out on the GA. Secty of State's office that every one of his friends is a real estate company, investor or lender....? I don't know why, but this bothers me.
Good Point
Mel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Judged:

Who cares where her money comes from.
Slim Chick

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Judged:

Mel wrote:
Agree Mel!! The only issue is "who can do the best job?"
Honesty

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Slim Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Agree Mel!! The only issue is "who can do the best job?"
That's really the issue

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Judged:

You guys should try tothink before you press akey. t doesn't matter where th money comes from?

Are you nuts?

If the money came from underhanded sources, like previous commissioners , would the person taking on the tax collector position be labeled as trustworthy?

Hmmmm, thinking about this, look at the money the past Chairmen of Gilmer have squirreled away.

Guess that's why they're loved by all the locals ....

Look at what they did for our county ....I mean TO our county.

Don't have to worry about folks passing any I.Q. tests in Gilmer.
Dudley

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

I checked them...It is rather strange that although her father owns a funeral home, all his friends are real estate investors. Makes me wonder if we would have "cherry picked" tax sales.....not good for Gilmer. C&S are already raping us.

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Mel wrote:
Mel, there are actually several reasons why you absolutely must care where the money comes from. There are very clear rules within any County election process. They are governed by the Office of the Secretary of State. First, there are monetary limits from each contributor. It is unclear if Becky Marshall has broken that rule. However, it is highly suspect since the sum of a couple of contributions by an individual and an LLC owned by that same individual exceeds the $2500 limit. More importantly, it is a clear conflict of interest to accept money for a campaign in exchange for favorable treatment if elected. It logically seems clear that the owners of Tax Lein Purchasing companies and individuals are expecting some special treatment. The legal test is relatively simple when there is no other reasonable explanation for a significant contribution. This action is highly scrutinized by the Secretary of State. Should Mrs.Marshall be elected, this will clearly be investigated. The result would be a very costly and time consuming process for Gilmer County.
Margaret Williamson

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

I will start by saying that I really don't like websites like these where people can post comments anonymously so am using my REAL name. Secondly, I will be up front in stating my support for Chela Bailey for Tax Commissioner. I have been a very close friend of Chela's since moving to Ellijay over 30 years ago. That does have something to do with my support knowing that in all those years there was never anything done or said by Chela that would make me doubt her integrity, work ethic, or her capability to hold this office and run it very efficiently. I had no problem accepting the position of being her campaign treasurer when I was asked to do so. If anyone wants to ask me where her contributions are coming from I can tell you without reservation. Having said all this I will now get to my point in participating in this thread. I share Joene's concern regarding some of Ms. Marshall's contributions but of greater concern - to me - is her answer to a question posed to both candidates on Tuesday night's debate. Q. Have either of you ever been late in paying your property taxes? Ms. Marshall sheepishly admitted to being a little late this year. It is public record - https://gilmercounty.paytaxes.net/customer/pr... that Ms. Marshall was late more than once - in one year was late by 6 months and another by 3 months. I know there can be extenuating circumstances for individuals being late on taxes - I even have family members were - but they and others paying late received an automatic penalty/late charge as well as interest on the outstanding balance. On only one occasion was a penalty levied against Ms. Marshall. To my understanding - being late 1 day incurs a penalty.
How does one get a penalty waived? I am sure many in this county would like to know the answer to this question. Is this only reserved for those working in the tax commissioner's office?

Thank you for your time.
Margaret Williamson

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

If you go to the link I provided there is a Select Action - click on this and chose the option 'search and pay bill' and then type in the last name Marshall. Scroll down and you will see a number of properties under this last name - chose Daniel Marshall and you will see the property tax records going back a number of years.
voter dawsonville Ga

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Ms williamson, have you every been late on a payment for anything? It's pretty sad if this is all you have to say. Thank you for your time.
Margaret Williamson

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

voter dawsonville Ga wrote:
Ms williamson, have you every been late on a payment for anything? It's pretty sad if this is all you have to say. Thank you for your time.
I am supposing you did not bother to read all my post nor did you do due diligence in following my link. To your question - I am old enough that in my youth there was no such thing as credit and as I matured it was impressed upon me that one was responsible for ones bills and you paid them in a timely fashion. It is no surprise to a property owner that "the tax man cometh" and so you are a good squirrel and store up your acorns for winter.. It is my opinion that working in an office that collects taxes would make you even more aware on this responsibility. You obviously did not grow up with such a code if you feel my concerns are "sad" - so be it.
Mel

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Well I was a little undecided until I received that fire starter in the mail today from Chela Bailey, how rude... I mean come on you got to play dirty by taking a bad photo of someone and posting it in a flyer , and talk about them being late on their taxes...sorry Becky is not a stuck up snot who has probally ripped off half of gilmer county. Your going to take information from the current idiot that is our "so called" tax commisioner and say Becky has been AWOL for 7.5 weeks , who doesnt even like Becky in the first place and more than likely stirs the pot in the office to cause all the bickering. I would rather have a hard working "Becky" in the office to get the job done instead of some snob who will probablly try to work on her real estate endeavors anyways instead of focusing on what needs to be done. Ridiculous I hate when people try to trash someone else name just to put themselve ahead, I guess there scared of losing!!! Vote Becky Marshall August 21, 2012.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Margaret Williamson,

Your post is exactly what has been on the minds of so many .... because you have "known" Chela for 30 years, we now have your "stamp of approval" to vote for her.

Since you have known her for 30 years, what will be Chelas' response when the going gets tough in the office of commissioner? Will she "cave in" as others have said?

Since you have known her for 30 years, will Ken Bailey be part of her decision making processes? Will she search him out for consultation, or will Ken refer her to Mark Chastain, or Jerry Farist or Max Holstein?

Chela may be a very nice dress store operator, but I'm not looking for a dress store opweator to handle millions of dollars within Gilmer.

If Chela asked you to voice your support for her here, she did the wrong thing, for now I am even more convinced to vote for Becky Marshall.

Thank you for allowing me to get the correct candidate on my ballot.

Keep your taxes paid, Margaret.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Mel wrote:
Well I was a little undecided until I received that fire starter in the mail today from Chela Bailey, how rude... I mean come on you got to play dirty by taking a bad photo of someone and posting it in a flyer , and talk about them being late on their taxes...sorry Becky is not a stuck up snot who has probally ripped off half of gilmer county. Your going to take information from the current idiot that is our "so called" tax commisioner and say Becky has been AWOL for 7.5 weeks , who doesnt even like Becky in the first place and more than likely stirs the pot in the office to cause all the bickering. I would rather have a hard working "Becky" in the office to get the job done instead of some snob who will probablly try to work on her real estate endeavors anyways instead of focusing on what needs to be done. Ridiculous I hate when people try to trash someone else name just to put themselve ahead, I guess there scared of losing!!! Vote Becky Marshall August 21, 2012.
Very well stated.

FYI, I read info at Chela's real estate site. It was said here that she had 10 million in sales in four years. Is that good? I saw another realtor at the same office, who had 7 million in one year. I think I should write her in for commissioner, she must be more qualified.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Even though I do not feel "warm and fuzzy" about either candidate, I believe, much to my dismay, that Chela will win, for she knows everyone and her family has a good name.

That being said, will JC declare a "Tax commissioner day" and have Chela and her new employees drive through town on a parade float, just like the homecoming queen and her court?

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

Mel wrote:
I remember the "southern belle" who has appeared on interviews, debates, you know the lady, o the one who's a local and has a good family name.

Today I received my flyer, as well. Seems the "southern belle" has now stepped down from the parade float and has climbed onto a tank, instead.

After trashing Becky, I continued to read the flyer, trying to discover what the "southern belle" was going to do for Gilmer. I found squat.

Never did see anything sayin she would collect taxes in a more efficient manner, never did see anything sayin she would collect back taxes.

But wait, dress shop owners never had to do that, did they?
Dudley

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Ya'll sre right. Let's return the tax office to the way it was under Frank by electing his protoge. We haven't had any money stolen or the Grand Jury indicting anyone or even an investigation for 4 years!Let's elect someone that is funded by special interest investment firms from out of town and see what happens! Frank introduced her to me and said what a great job she would do. He personally trained her so I am sure she "knows the ropes". It's been boring way to long!
voter dawsonville Ga

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Dudley, you are the kind of person I hope never to think of as a friend. Frank says you are a friend.
I hope he knows now. I told him a long time ago you are jealous of him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

40 Users are viewing the Ellijay Forum right now

Search the Ellijay Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 25 min Bill in Dville 49,557
Debbie Dooodely 1 hr Skippy 3
Dorsey's wife now new finance director 1 hr Melvin 6
Election thoughts 1 hr Sassy Britches 21
White Trash Groupie's 3 hr take it back 10
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 3 hr interested 10,709
SACS investigates Gilmer BOE 3 hr Average 138
•••
•••

Ellijay News Video

•••
•••

Ellijay Jobs