Physical test too much, marshal quits

Physical test too much, marshal quits

There are 65 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 12, 2008, titled Physical test too much, marshal quits. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Town Marshal Gary Darland dropped 24 pounds training for the rigorous physical tests he needed to pass to keep his job.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Gene Autry

Greenfield, IN

#1 Mar 12, 2008
Gee, I wonder how many push ups Frank Anderson or Mike Spears could do? How about Hank (Fat Bastard) Bosworth?
KPZ

Duncan, OK

#2 Mar 12, 2008
"It was a tough awakening, but the decision was in the best interest for law enforcement in general," he said.

Kudos to you, Mr. Darland. Takes a big man to do the right thing.

“booty call”

Since: Nov 07

indytucky

#3 Mar 12, 2008
At 62yrs of age,his injuries,should have excluded him from the physical exam. He was obviously smart enough and has decision making ability. His arresting status should have been determined by his test scores.
Randy

Noblesville, IN

#4 Mar 12, 2008
Best Wishes Gary
Amused

United States

#5 Mar 12, 2008
Sounds like the kind of guy you would want as a small town marshal...this is sad
be for real

Muncie, IN

#6 Mar 12, 2008
Although I commend him for doing the right thing. I also think that its not fair, The man shouldn't have to do the same things as others half his age, since most of his ailments stem from work related misfortunes. I am sure there is somethings he could qualify for on the force without having to resign. Enjoy your retirement sir, and thanks for your years of service.
Don O Treply

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Mar 12, 2008
Guess he was the grandson of the wrong grandmother. Otherwise, they would have found a way for him to have the job regardless of qualifications. Points out how stupid some of our laws have become in our politically correct society.
Bad Publicity

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 12, 2008
Way to go, Ellettsville. Just when the basketball season the Edgewood Mustangs had gave the state a positive view of this northwest Monroe County town, something like this comes along and turns folks' viewpoints in the other direction 180 degrees.

Great point about Frank Anderson above. Hopefully every city and town won't see the benefit of filling their law enforcement positions with track stars instead of those with experience and dedication to do the job.

As a 1976 graduate of Edgewood, I'm embarassed for Ellettsville.
sober driver sez

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Mar 12, 2008
A fat cop? c'mon now you cannot be serious!
sober driver sez

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Mar 12, 2008
irvington skunk wrote:
At 62yrs of age,his injuries,should have excluded him from the physical exam. He was obviously smart enough and has decision making ability. His arresting status should have been determined by his test scores.
Do you want him chasing criminals into your house and then not being able to breathe when he pulls out his gun. It has nothing to do with test scores.
74Mustang

Duncan, OK

#13 Mar 12, 2008
Bad Publicity wrote:
Way to go, Ellettsville. Just when the basketball season the Edgewood Mustangs had gave the state a positive view of this northwest Monroe County town, something like this comes along and turns folks' viewpoints in the other direction 180 degrees.
Great point about Frank Anderson above. Hopefully every city and town won't see the benefit of filling their law enforcement positions with track stars instead of those with experience and dedication to do the job.
As a 1976 graduate of Edgewood, I'm embarassed for Ellettsville.
In fact it does the opposite for Ellettsville's image.....the man stepped up and took responsibility and did what he thought was right for the community....obviously a loss to the community as this individual has qualifications that go beyond the physical limitations he has encountered....I'm fine with Ellettsville, too bad your not....too much time in the big city, what embarrasses me is that I probably know you....
IndyGrandma

United States

#15 Mar 12, 2008
Quitter, your comment was not necessary. Consider the man's age. That town lost a valuable officer who had years of experience. By the way, Quitter, don't judge others unless you have walked in their shoes. I trust that you are in perfect shape, partake the perfect diet and are a super employee without flaws.
Shame

Muncie, IN

#16 Mar 12, 2008
I think it's shameful that the Star even chose to write about this gentleman. Why was this news? Let the man resign with some pride.
possibsherbal

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Mar 12, 2008
Don O Treply wrote:
Guess he was the grandson of the wrong grandmother. Otherwise, they would have found a way for him to have the job regardless of qualifications. Points out how stupid some of our laws have become in our politically correct society.
bwahahaha-took me a sec on that one, good show sir! ;)
Semper Fi

Monon, IN

#18 Mar 12, 2008
Folks in our military must be prepared, and pass, a physical fitness test at any given time. ALL police and fire department personnel should have the same requirement. Indianapolis has several officers patrolling (sitting on their fat arse) down on the circle every day. There's one guy who has to go 400+ pounds. He can't get out of his car without breaking a sweat, let alone "protect and serve" our community.
Don Garcia

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Mar 12, 2008
I was Gary's partner for many years on the IPD. This man was great with people and always took their feelings into consideration. He was great with children as his "tour" as an Officer Friendly will attest.
Shame on all those who cast crtitcal comments of a decent man and have no knowledge.
Joe

Duncan, OK

#20 Mar 12, 2008
sober driver sez wrote:
A fat cop? c'mon now you cannot be serious!
He's not fat, he is just older. Jackass.
Joe

Duncan, OK

#21 Mar 12, 2008
I know Gary and he is a good man. Very honorable and should consider serving the community in another capacity.
officer

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Mar 12, 2008
People, no matter the age, if the law enforcement in your area can't pass a basic physical agility test, it is time for that person to not be in law enforcement. He was simply wise enough to acknowledge that.
JRR

United States

#23 Mar 12, 2008
I wish him the best of luck, it sounds like he was a good cop and well respected. Hope they can find something else for him to do until retirement time, he has given enough to earn it. It is hell to get old, how well I know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellettsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pizza question from an out of towner (Apr '16) Mon a321123bc 13
Sara Brooks is a SLUT! Mon Dom 1
I think Lauren Spierer was setup. (Jun '11) Feb 16 Denial 63
Allie Hawkins EMT Feb 16 Karma 1
News Spencer man pleads guilty in abduction slaying ... Feb 7 Sad Sack 6
News Police, Fire a " February 6 Feb 6 Aka 1
News Indiana couple have opened their own rodent san... Jan 29 bcobainb 1

Ellettsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance