The fruits of banning people

Posted in the Ellerslie Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Mar 12

Atlanta, GA

#1 May 4, 2013
I guess when you start banning everyone who likes discussing your topics, you end up with no one discussing your topics.
And those that are left discuss what interest them.

There's a lesson here people.
CSU Banned

Columbus, GA

#3 May 4, 2013
David523 wrote:
An alternative perspective might be that people being banned have violated the boards rules. The fact that people who argue an opposing perspective from yours are more commonly banned than people who you agree with may say more about the banned group than anything else. Another issue could be a limited number who argue an opposing issue yet have multiple Logins. Many of the Liberal comments we see on the Columbus board currently are apparently provided by one user with numerous Logins!
Are you Jim Pickens? You both post alot of the same stuff.

I think ol zipper was referring to Will Dockery, lots of us students gave him a hard time cause he got a friend of ours banned who had made a parody character of him. In getting her banned they blocked the entire dorm wifi IP so no one can post anything unless we walk to Columbus Coffee shop. No more discussions about CSU, the Whitewater project and the Columbus music scene, etc.
He ( Will Dockery)used to saturate this board with his suckie music videos and complain to the moderators when ever he got a bad review (always).
So its really no political on this issue, its just about bad music.
Waedwidstar

Columbus, GA

#6 May 5, 2013
Exactly right CSU. Wilhelmina is a comedic creative genius, that's why I love her so much.
No harm was done, anyone could see plainly that it wasn't the real Will Dockery, just a knock off that was making fun and it was simply HILARIOUS.
From what I understand he complained incessantly to the mods and they caved, resorting to banning the entire CSU WIFI.
Maybe enough people complained about his incessant posting of his lame music and "open mic nights" and he got banned, that would be, dare I say "poetic" justice.
It is truly a royal pain to have to go find a free WIFI spot to post on Topix, that's why not to many do anymore.
We could have been posting about the new music festivals and all the happenings around the opening of the Columbus whitewater.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#7 May 5, 2013
CSU Banned wrote:
<quoted text>

I think ol zipper was referring to Will Dockery
No, the "terms of Service" at Topix.coom are clearly stated with each post anyone here makes, and basically, it seems if you keep your posts within those guidelines your posts should be no problem:

"...Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator."

Seems simple enough to comprehend... Even for you, maybe?

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#8 May 5, 2013
David523 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m not aware of this sites policy about blocking people yet, from your comments,“Will Dockery” may have become too much of a burden for the support people. As for me, I have only one Login!“Jim Pickens” and I must have similar opinions on issues.
No, David, as you probably know, Topix.com is open to wide ranges of opinions, the problem comes when the anonymous, unregistered posters begin making personal attacks, forgery, libel and so on that the Topix.com moderators specifically state is a no-no here:

"Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator..."

And you didn't seem to actually be Jim to me, since as any literate person can see the difference in your writing styles... But that counts out most of the Trolls posting on this thread.

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#9 May 5, 2013
Talking about Mill burning Will or Will Burned Bibb Mill ? should it be rebuilt

can get pulled if read wrong

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#10 May 5, 2013
Big Time wrote:
Talking about Mill burning Will or Will Burned Bibb Mill ? should it be rebuilt
can get pulled if read wrong
That sound like you have some grammar and punctuation issues, then?

Since: Jan 07

Location Shown

#11 May 5, 2013
Although grammar and punctuation are commonly thought to be separate parts, punctuation is actually an integral part of grammar .
Slatman

Columbus, GA

#12 May 5, 2013
This message board has quieted down alot lately.
Still seems to be alot of out of state trolls picking fights over politics though.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#13 May 5, 2013
Big Time wrote:
Although grammar and punctuation are commonly thought to be separate parts, punctuation is actually an integral part of grammar .
Well, either together or seperately, you obviously need to bone up on 'em.

Just sayin'.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#14 May 5, 2013
_Zipper_ wrote:
I guess when you start banning everyone who likes discussing your topics, you end up with no one discussing your topics.
And those that are left discuss what interest them.
There's a lesson here people.
Works well for me!
Druid Hills Commando

Manchester, GA

#15 May 6, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
Works well for me!
I don't think you should anger the frat boys and sorority girls, you remember Dean Wormer in Animal House?

“Way down, in Columbus Georgia”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#16 May 6, 2013
I haven't had near the time as I once did to comment and post news articles.
Hopefully I will be able to spend more time on here as the summer gets closer.
Its great to get everyone's input on the varied subjects discussed here.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#17 May 6, 2013
Druid Hills Commando wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you should anger the frat boys and sorority girls, you remember Dean Wormer in Animal House?
Oh, there's no reason for anyone to be angry, now is there?

--
Art, music & poetry of Will Dockery:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#18 May 6, 2013
Jim R Pickens wrote:
Same here, Jim... Time just keeps on slipping, into the future.
Smiths Station Panthers

Pittsview, AL

#19 May 7, 2013
Jim R Pickens wrote:
Glad to see you and everyone else trickle back in Jim.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#20 May 7, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to see you and everyone else trickle back in Jim.
And even good to see you back, you disloyal non-local supporting so-and-so, you... heh.

Just kidding, Panther... Now, let the games begin!
Smiths Station Panthers

Pittsview, AL

#21 May 7, 2013
Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
And even good to see you back, you disloyal non-local supporting so-and-so, you... heh.
Just kidding, Panther... Now, let the games begin!
What? I'm just a music lover!

I get on Topix at least 3-4 times a week. You've been gone also.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#22 May 7, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
What? I'm just a music lover!
I get on Topix at least 3-4 times a week. You've been gone also.
Well, you're a music lover, perhaps, but your ongoing predjudice against our many talented local performers is very obvious.

Hey, to each his own, but when you start trying to drag our local names through the mud I hope to be here to correct you and your ilk with your blatant falsehoods, Panther.

By the way, did we see each other at Doo-Nanny this year?

After all, you know who I am since I'm never anonymous so only one of us could know... It was a good one, wasn't it, well worth the measly ten bucks, right?

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

#23 May 7, 2013
David523 wrote:
An alternative perspective might be that people being banned have violated the boards rules. The fact that people who argue an opposing perspective from yours are more commonly banned than people who you agree with may say more about the banned group than anything else.
Exactly, David.

Those who wind up "banned" from the Forums probably simply ignored the Topix.com Terms of Service, which frowns upon lies, libel, slander and other obviously poor posting habits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellerslie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Wall Street Journal: America's newest commu... 2 hr indict robert mercer 3
Firm Roberts Cafe (Jul '14) 23 hr hoochbear 15
Dennis Beck quote from 2006 Thu Will Dockery 1
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (May '15) Wed Will Dockery 951
Word Association (May '15) Wed Will Dockery 443
News Warrants issued for man with four missing boys Aug 23 TheTruthIs YouKno... 1
News Former Miss Columbus headed to Miss America Pag... Aug 21 Tighty whitey 3

Ellerslie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ellerslie Mortgages