United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2007

Judged:

Whats going on? who knows something? please keep the ball rolling.....A great place to shop and be able to buy clothes (no store like that nearby) also chance for around eighty new jobs. comments?

People will still buy at Peters Market, it is established and great meats food etc.

Will bring in more stores like dollar general, small food places to eat. more jobs sometimes staples and homedepot build close by.
Joel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2007

Judged:

Personally, I would rather see a K-Mart (Sears) come into the mall. From my own experience and observations, it's food section mainly consists of bulk items, and would not compete with local stores. It would add significantly to the area, and provide local residents with a convenient place to shop without have to go out of town. K-Mart also has a small, but pleasant buffet style restaurant. It's breakfasts are okay, with fresh eggs and moderately priced meals. The lunch menus are adequate. What I like the most, comparing the chain to Target or Wal-Mart, is the multi-level. In other words, one doesn't have to be an athlete to go from one section to another. The mens department, I think, has a bigger variety of clothing than the Target store I'm familar with.
I am aware that bringing Wal-Mart into town has been a very contentious issue, for many reasons.
I was recently made aware that the Pizze Hut in Ellenville closed down, and Burger King ceased
operations some time ago. While buying local should be still the priority, unfortunately even locally owned and operated businesses sometimes fail or decide not to continue their leases.

As far as K-Mart, I would not think that the argument against box chain stores is wise in this instance.

I would vote yes for encouraging it, or a similar
store coming to the area. Ellenville-Napanoch and the Town of Wawarsing have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
gabe

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2007

Judged:

I think wal-mart would be great for our people...Dont listen to the few people that dont want you,wal-mart..because the mayority of ellenville need wal-mart....its better than nothing...And thank you for your business (wal-mart)
onemalu from Napanoch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

Judged:

We have no where to shop. The cost of gasoline is outrageous so we can't afford driving to Middletown or Kingston. I don't want it to crowd out Shop Rite for it is the greatest store anywhere. Prices and quality are wonderful but we need a place to buy simple things: jeans, jackets, slacks. Jamesway and Ames did very well here. Woolworths boomed in Ellenville. Restaurants leave us because often the prices are too high, too unrealistic for Wawarsing. We're for a store, maybe not a giant one but one to suit the needs of the area.
Mel from E-Ville

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2007

Judged:

I just spoke with a woman who was on the remodeling team at Walmart down in Middletown on saturday...I said that we needed something here desperately, and she said as far as she knew, it was a done deal, and that Napanoch Walmart was on the list for construction to begin this April/May. I'm praying that she is correct...
Mel from E-Ville

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2007

Judged:

Just a bit more..I found this when I googled "Walmart/Napanoch", it's a site created by ???, it's pretty anti-Walmart, and it's supposedly by our towns people,
http://www.w-e-r-d.org/
As soon as I saw Steve Krulicks name, I knew all the anti-Walmart propaganda would be there.
I think our town, if given the opportunity, would vote, overwhemingly in favor of Walmart...
VCleary Ellenville

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

We need a Wal-Mart badly. Last week I ran out of yarn for a prayer shawl that I was making. Had to go 18 miles too get it. There is nothing like it in Ellenville or Napanoch.
tomm

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Judged:

VCleary Ellenville wrote:
We need a Wal-Mart badly. Last week I ran out of yarn for a prayer shawl that I was making. Had to go 18 miles too get it. There is nothing like it in Ellenville or Napanoch.

Target, Sears/Kmart, Kohls even a JCP. But NOT a Walmart. Theres already 1 in Monticello. To have another so close would simply give Wmart more control, hasten the closing of our local shops and in the process gives us less choice/contorl of how and on what we spend our money. So be careful what you wish for.

Sure a larger department store nearby by does have it's conveniences but another Wmart we definately don't need.

Personally I prefer to see the locals stay open and even expand to be the greater part of the local economy.

That said I also understand how difficult that is when some people out of necessity and some people out of greed are trying to save every penny.

Perhaps if we spent more money local the locals could charge less money for their products on the basis that they would be able to buy at lower prices due to their buying in larger quantities.
After all this is how your beloved Wmart does it.

If you owned stock in Genral Elec. you would buy as much product from G.E. as you could. The same also applies for Sears, Wmart, Verizon, General Motors and any other stock you own.
It would just be 2nd nature for you to keep that stock as strong as possible.
Even if it meant paying an extra dollar or 2 for that product.

Well keep in mind that we all own stock in our local economy. No we don't hold a certificate that says so but we all have a stake in it's health. Atleast that's my humble opinion on it.

So go ahead and wish for a larger department store if you must but dont wish for a Wmart.

And please TRY to remember that we hold more stock in Ellenville and it's surrounding communities then we do in Bentonville, Arkansas.

Best of health
tomm
V CAPOBIANCO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2007

Judged:

FOR US RETIRED PEOPLE WHO LIVE ON A FIXED INCOME, WITH THE PRICE OF GAS, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE WALMART SO CLOSE TO US, FOR OUR NECESSARY NEEDS. WALMART IS NOT A OPTION ITS A NECESSITY.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2007

Judged:

Walmart is not a necessity, they only want you to think they are. They are corporate sellouts, importing poor quality items from forced-labor countries. We need to invest more in American Made products. It's been some time since I saw a garment label that said Made In America. When I was a kid, we used to go to the local Mom-N-Pop store to buy our jeans, all brands from Sweet Orr (they had a factory in Wappingers Falls, NY) to Levi's Carpenter/painter pants.. Now that is gone. You have to go to the mall and 5 different stores to get a decent pair of jeans that aren't faded, torn, bleached, maintain your modesty and self respect, etc..., and they will cost you dearly.

Walmart buys cheap items for pennies on the dollar and makes a killing on their "cheap" prices. You really have to wonder how many labels, toys, food packaging, etc.. really contain harmful toxins including lead. Walmart doesn't care nor have they been testing their items to make sure what they sell is safe. They simply do not care.
Chain stores are just as bad.
Who is accountable? We Americans are and we need to stand up and stop importing items and products we can make right here in the Good Ol' U.S.A.! Haven't we had enough factory closings and outsourcing? I sure have.
Cindy

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2007

Judged:

A walmart would be great or a store similar to james way. A place you can buy undies, blue jeans, sneakers, craft things. It is awful we have to drive 40 minutes to 1 hour to get those type of things. When I do make the trek out of town to Walmart I also take in Sam's club and several other stores and drive right through Ellenville and Napanoch to home without stopping.

I could have stopped at shop rite etc. but what the heck, when I spend the money on gas and the time involved I make a day out of it and do as much stocking up as possible.

We don't need a super Walmart store, just the smaller version of it.
Fred

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2007

Judged:

It would be a great advantage to have a Walmart close by it would help provide a local source for one stop shopping. especially with the travel time and when gas hits $4.00 a gallon.
Cheryl

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2007

Judged:

I agree about having a Walmart in Napanoch, and maybe the smaller version as stated earlier so Peter's and Shoprite are not affected. I'm kind of torn on the issue, because I too hate driving so far away to get what me and my kids need, however, Walmart has put alot of smaller stores out of business. A Walmart before the Super Walmarts, smaller with mostly department store items would be perfect in my opinion.
Christina

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

Judged:

No Walmart please. Target, KMart, Sears, anything else. Walmart gets all their crap from China and it is low quality. It will eat up Ellenville and do more harm than good. They idealy could put in more than one store on that land. That would give us more choices. Walmart does not believe in sharing. The lose to local established business will be devasting.
Hopefull

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Judged:

Ellenville has been slowly dieing and is about buried. Walmart is the ONLY outfit that "MIGHT" get a few jobs in here and help us locals out with the travel costs and say nothing of the incredably overcrowded Kingston/Middletown weekend shopping experience. No other retailer has even hinted at investing here. How narrow minded of people to single out Walmart as the only corporation that has questionable purchaseing practices. I got news for ya, THEY ALL DO IT!! to a greater or lesser degree. The Chinese can ACTUALY send there kid to school if they are lucky enough to get in on a Walmart contract. Sweat shops you say, yea, we all had them. Its called growing pains! Some of you folks just make me laugh.
Lyle irwin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Judged:

update for you all who want a local WallyWorld.

I have not lived in the Napanoch area since the middle seventies but usually go to NY at least once every two yrs or so.
I now live in Raleigh NC and have for over twenty yrs, we have six WallyWorlds within six to ten miles of my residence, the average store employs around 300 they operate twentyfour hrs a day. Thanks for all the input from folks who really care about their town and need a job and want to work. oh by the way, WallyWorld does layoff and cut hrs just like everyone else when business is slow. with gas prices expected to soon hit four dollars a gallon the area needs a lift and anything it can get to help.
smaller stores will also be added such as sub shops,dollar stores, Staples, Lowes or Home depot usually build close by later on.
Howard Baul

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2008

Judged:

tomm wrote:
<quoted text>
Target, Sears/Kmart, Kohls even a JCP. But NOT a Walmart. Theres already 1 in Monticello. To have another so close would simply give Wmart more control, hasten the closing of our local shops and in the process gives us less choice/contorl of how and on what we spend our money. So be careful what you wish for.
Sure a larger department store nearby by does have it's conveniences but another Wmart we definately don't need.
Personally I prefer to see the locals stay open and even expand to be the greater part of the local economy.
That said I also understand how difficult that is when some people out of necessity and some people out of greed are trying to save every penny.
Perhaps if we spent more money local the locals could charge less money for their products on the basis that they would be able to buy at lower prices due to their buying in larger quantities.
After all this is how your beloved Wmart does it.
If you owned stock in Genral Elec. you would buy as much product from G.E. as you could. The same also applies for Sears, Wmart, Verizon, General Motors and any other stock you own.
It would just be 2nd nature for you to keep that stock as strong as possible.
Even if it meant paying an extra dollar or 2 for that product.
Well keep in mind that we all own stock in our local economy. No we don't hold a certificate that says so but we all have a stake in it's health. Atleast that's my humble opinion on it.
So go ahead and wish for a larger department store if you must but dont wish for a Wmart.
And please TRY to remember that we hold more stock in Ellenville and it's surrounding communities then we do in Bentonville, Arkansas.
Best of health
tomm
Hasten the closing of what local shops??? 2 dollar stores? The closing of all of the local shops already occurred, where have you been. We do have 10 gas stations within 8 miles of eachother, so if wal-mart starts selling gas, I guess they could worry?
Xiang Wang

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2008

Judged:

Please to continue to buy Wal-mart. Wal-mart good for China. You no need good jobs. We do. 7 dollar an hour good enough for Yankee.
bratface19

Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

I would love for walmart to come to Napanoch.. I live one mile up 55 and i would love to go shoppin that is so close by and not have to go 30 miles or so to kingston or Middletown. Does anyone know if it is final on opening here in Napanoch?
Ruth

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

The quality of the goods in Walmart has improved. I personally don't care how much profit they make if I don't have to drive to Middletown or Kingston for things I need. Those of us who live in the Napanoch/Ellenville area want this.
Lyric Lover wrote:
Walmart is not a necessity, they only want you to think they are. They are corporate sellouts, importing poor quality items from forced-labor countries. We need to invest more in American Made products. It's been some time since I saw a garment label that said Made In America. When I was a kid, we used to go to the local Mom-N-Pop store to buy our jeans, all brands from Sweet Orr (they had a factory in Wappingers Falls, NY) to Levi's Carpenter/painter pants.. Now that is gone. You have to go to the mall and 5 different stores to get a decent pair of jeans that aren't faded, torn, bleached, maintain your modesty and self respect, etc..., and they will cost you dearly.
Walmart buys cheap items for pennies on the dollar and makes a killing on their "cheap" prices. You really have to wonder how many labels, toys, food packaging, etc.. really contain harmful toxins including lead. Walmart doesn't care nor have they been testing their items to make sure what they sell is safe. They simply do not care.
Chain stores are just as bad.
Who is accountable? We Americans are and we need to stand up and stop importing items and products we can make right here in the Good Ol' U.S.A.! Haven't we had enough factory closings and outsourcing? I sure have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of211
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ellenville Discussions

Search the Ellenville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 14 min Out with the GOP 6,319
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr positronium 6,317
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 23 hr Habanero Harv 16,760
All Sullivan budgets easily pass Jun 11 Michael Oleary 2
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Jun 10 Cmon Already 754
Brook Lake (May '08) Jun '14 JohnnyQ 7
Developer Lamm sues Wurtsboro Jun '14 Kestenbaum Can ExplainALL 13
•••
•••

Ellenville News Video

•••
Ellenville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Ellenville Jobs

•••