Minimum wage law buoys pay for all of us

Minimum wage law buoys pay for all of us

There are 4 comments on the The Herald story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Minimum wage law buoys pay for all of us. In it, The Herald reports that:

Minimum wage workers will see a small boost in their paychecks this week. That's because the people overwhelmingly approved an initiative back in 1998 to increase the minimum wage and then index it to inflation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald.

The law does NOT buoy pay

Clemson, SC

#1 Jan 7, 2011
Raising the minimum wage is the absolute worst thing we can do if we want people to be able to find work. A wage is the "price" of labor. As we learned in Econ 101, an increase in the price of labor leads to a shortage of jobs. Ever wonder why so many late teenage and twenty something minorities are unemployed? Look no further than the minimum wage laws. Not everyone is worth $7 or more per hour. Rather than hiring that additional woorker who is worth $5/hour, employers hire no one and try to get more out of existing workers. This is not rocket science people.
riverman

Marysville, WA

#2 Jan 12, 2011
i work for a nation wide corporation based in ohio. they execute your tactic of trying to squeeze all they can out of existing employees, rather than bring in a little cheap help. ive worked there for 18 years. im very good at what i do. however, month by month, year by year, i feel as if myself, along with all my (well skilled) old school coworkers are being worked into the ground, on all levels, all in the name of "keeping costs down". it may prevent payroll from rising, not having to bring in more employees, but its begining to backfire. i find myself "not caring" as much as i used to. i show up, do the best i can, then leave. no more- no less. i no longer go out of my way, i no longer try to impress, i no longer babysit my boss. if there's an issue, i say something about it to the powers that be, and thats it. after that, its their problem. ive adopted the, "i did my part, oh well, it dont come out of my pocket" attitude. i must say, it makes that hell hole a bit more bearable...!
Motorcycler

Hoffman Estates, IL

#3 Jul 3, 2011
The law does NOT buoy pay wrote:
Raising the minimum wage is the absolute worst thing we can do if we want people to be able to find work. A wage is the "price" of labor. As we learned in Econ 101, an increase in the price of labor leads to a shortage of jobs. Ever wonder why so many late teenage and twenty something minorities are unemployed? Look no further than the minimum wage laws. Not everyone is worth $7 or more per hour. Rather than hiring that additional woorker who is worth $5/hour, employers hire no one and try to get more out of existing workers. This is not rocket science people.
How true, when they raise your pay, it makes everything you make , buy sell, trade more expensive.the Gov raises your pay 1.00, multiply that by how many people it takes to make a product and you never win.You get a few more dollars, the Gov. gets more dollars in taxes, and everything you buy costs more . in the end it's just a trick to make us feel like we won. You get 75cents ,but they take away a dollar. it's called inflation, and only the tax man wins.
C Kersey

Frisco, TX

#4 Jul 27, 2017
"Minimum wage hikes kill jobs. Attacking businesses with new 'feel-good' regulations kills jobs. Creating more government programs grows government, not the economy. Thereís nothing the Democrats are offering now that they havenít offered." ---Rush Limbaugh, 26 July 2017

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Irene Langloss Hoard (Apr '17) Nov 19 Hahaha 2
Yakamas Oct '17 Publiceyeslooking 1
Yakamas and pot and hop feilds Oct '17 Publiceyeslooking 1
Known snitches Oct '17 Publiceyeslooking 1
Black SUV... Sep '17 Publiceyeslooking 1
Ellensburg Little League Vendor Jevin Stiffs an... Sep '17 JevinScam 2
News Utah father of four deported without warning de... Aug '17 Michael 1

Ellensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance