Bruce Johston Crime Family

Posted in the Elkton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James

Waco, KY

#1 Jan 30, 2012
I have recently watched the movie "At Close Range" and I was wondering if anyone has any interesting stories or facts about this family. I recently read that Bruce lived in the Elkton area in the 70's.
Mary

United States

#2 Jan 30, 2012
Actually they escaped from jail several years ago and the whole county was in a panic but things had changed so much they couldn't survive out here and were caught. Think they lived right over the line in PA but they frequented the Fairhill area as well as Rising Sun.
James

Waco, KY

#3 Jan 30, 2012
Mary wrote:
Actually they escaped from jail several years ago and the whole county was in a panic but things had changed so much they couldn't survive out here and were caught. Think they lived right over the line in PA but they frequented the Fairhill area as well as Rising Sun.
Thanks for the comment Mary. I remember reading about when Norman escaped and I bet that did put some fear in people with him being on the loose for 19 days.
Who You Kiddin

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2012
Yes, Only Norman Johnston escaped from prison but was only on the run a week or so, he was caught and thrown back in jail.
The character Boyd in the movie was based on Norman Johnston.
James

Waco, KY

#5 Jan 31, 2012
"Patch" was the name of the actor in the movie who played the brother Norman. "Boyd" was the name given to Leslie Dale who was a hired killer of the gang. The other brother David was played by "Dickie". They changed the names.
James

Waco, KY

#6 Jan 31, 2012
I apologize in that I just noticed I spelled the last name wrong. It is supposed to be Johnston.
RISING SUN

Rising Sun, MD

#7 Feb 1, 2012
For years I worked in Oxford Pa and alot of people there seemed to know someone or something they did. Maybe you should try to post in Oxford Pa 19363 topix also.
I do think there is grandson or son living in the Peachbottom Pa / Little Britian Pa area also. But from what I remember they do not like to be associated with this and do not discuss it very much.
There was a short story posted on the web from I think one of the Campbell family. Maybe Zane Campbell. They were a somewhat famous family in Oxford Pa. Played bluegrass. Anyway it was very lighthearted and funny about the day Norm broke out.
james

Waco, KY

#8 Feb 1, 2012
Yes, I have read the Zane Campbell piece which had a lot of very interesting info. I also posted in the Oxford and about 10 other surrounding areas. I noticed there are not many posts in any of those areas which I guess is good in a way as far as gossip is concerned, but I think this can also be a good way to communicate. I also e-mailed Zane Campbell from his blog site and asked for more info.

It's also very interesting that you are from the Rising Sun area because it has been said that Bruce Jr. now lives in that area. I think the people who know the facts should share them because it is a very intriguing situation in American history and the people involved who would know the true facts are getting old or no longer around.
shelly

Rising Sun, MD

#9 Feb 2, 2012
There is a family named Johnston in Rising Sun, but no relation to the Johnston family of PA.
RISING SUN

Rising Sun, MD

#10 Feb 2, 2012
james wrote:
Yes, I have read the Zane Campbell piece which had a lot of very interesting info. I also posted in the Oxford and about 10 other surrounding areas. I noticed there are not many posts in any of those areas which I guess is good in a way as far as gossip is concerned, but I think this can also be a good way to communicate. I also e-mailed Zane Campbell from his blog site and asked for more info.
It's also very interesting that you are from the Rising Sun area because it has been said that Bruce Jr. now lives in that area. I think the people who know the facts should share them because it is a very intriguing situation in American history and the people involved who would know the true facts are getting old or no longer around.
Sorry never heard he lived anywhere in this area.
james

Waco, KY

#11 Feb 2, 2012
I read that a guy who worked with some guys who grew up with Bruce Jr. and knew Brad Sr. say that they told him that Bruce Jr. was somewhere in the Rising Sun area, but you know how hearsay is. Thanks for the comment. Does anyone know Edward Potter? I heard he had some interesting stories to tell.
Laceedge

North East, MD

#12 Feb 4, 2012
Good Book.....
Jailing The Johnson Gang by
Bruce E Mowday 2009
Curious George

Baltimore, MD

#13 Feb 7, 2012
There is a book out that was written by I believe a former newspaper worker from Pennsylvania. The name of the book is "Jailing of the Johnston Gang". I have read it and it is very good. This book is very informative.
Jenna

Ephrata, PA

#14 Feb 8, 2012
Some of the sights in the movie are of Lancaster and Chester County. The monument is the Lancaster center square. I think the scene where they are eating was the Old Post House restuarant which has since changed it's wallpaper but most people will remember the old. I think the bowling alley of Oxford might be in there too. I never knew any of anyone or anything affected by them. I did live near Fair Hill/Lewisville growing up and heard that the Johnston gang was suspected in stealing farm equipment from a number of farms in the area. I never have heard that his son even still lived in the area. Everyone always said he got out of here.
James

Martin, KY

#15 Feb 14, 2012
Jenna wrote:
Some of the sights in the movie are of Lancaster and Chester County. The monument is the Lancaster center square. I think the scene where they are eating was the Old Post House restuarant which has since changed it's wallpaper but most people will remember the old. I think the bowling alley of Oxford might be in there too. I never knew any of anyone or anything affected by them. I did live near Fair Hill/Lewisville growing up and heard that the Johnston gang was suspected in stealing farm equipment from a number of farms in the area. I never have heard that his son even still lived in the area. Everyone always said he got out of here.
Very interesting Jenna. Does anyone know where Bruce Jr. went to because I read he got out of the witness protection program back in the late 80's?
Rumors

Meadville, PA

#16 Feb 17, 2012
Never really did know for sure but I always heard that the snitch who was killed in the movie lived on Blue Ball Rd. in Elkton.
Real McCoy

Leola, PA

#18 Sep 3, 2013
RISING SUN wrote:
For years I worked in Oxford Pa and alot of people there seemed to know someone or something they did. Maybe you should try to post in Oxford Pa 19363 topix also.
I do think there is grandson or son living in the Peachbottom Pa / Little Britian Pa area also. But from what I remember they do not like to be associated with this and do not discuss it very much.
There was a short story posted on the web from I think one of the Campbell family. Maybe Zane Campbell. They were a somewhat famous family in Oxford Pa. Played bluegrass. Anyway it was very lighthearted and funny about the day Norm broke out.
IS Marcu allen Johnson related?.....Any one know?
real McCoy

Lancaster, PA

#19 Sep 4, 2013
Anyone know anything about Marcus Allen Johnson from MD
MarylandMike

United States

#20 Sep 13, 2013
Norman johnson had many ties to Elkton,Md. Norman use to screw this girl who lived next door to my parents when they lived on brown st. In the Elkton hieghts. One night my father got into a fist fight with norman cuz he caught him & another guy stealing the heating oil right out of our tank & a barrel or two of heating oil. At that time in his life my father was selling large amounts of weed,so when my mother saw F.B.I. Agents looking around outside she thought they were their for him & my mother took 20lbs. & stuffed it down the heating ducks. My father was at work at the time & did'nt know anything about it. So when he came home & turned the heat on the whole nieghborhood smelled of cannibus...lol that's why i'll never forget norman johnston. Also the reason why norman broke outta prison & came straight to elkton,is he had over a millon $ stashed in the floor boards of his old home. Which was purchased by jim archer,& after he bought it he did some remodeling. Then outta nowhere he bought a bar & auto parts store. Which tells me he found it. Also the cops was staking out jims home cuz they knew it used to be normans & discovered he was selling large amounts of cocaine,which they belive he did to launder the $ he found in the floor boards. Norman was out for 19 days but never left Elkton,why? Cuz he was looking for his millon dollars.
cecil

Ephrata, PA

#21 Sep 27, 2013
I am not to sure about that theory. From what I understand he had went into business with another man from Rising Sun - then left that man on the hook for everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blacks in elkton (May '10) Jul 22 dontgothere 47
Hollingsworth Manor (Oct '09) Jul '17 BillRangertounggi... 84
Sheriff Janneys Sex Club (Apr '09) Jul '17 BillRanger 121
News Home-school groups and co-ops: Maryland (Aug '10) Jul '17 Momma Bear 8
Review: TV Repairs -- Fast and Thrifty (Feb '11) Jul '17 Gramps Johnson 7
Hoarders episode in North East (Apr '16) Jul '17 CSmith 6
LOOKING for people in unfair Child Custody BATT... (Aug '11) Jun '17 Dirk071112 32

Elkton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elkton Mortgages