Todd Co. School Budget Cuts

Todd Co. School Budget Cuts

Posted in the Elkton Forum

toddcoschoolmom

United States

#1 Feb 9, 2012
What is going to happen with all of these budget cuts coming up? Something needs to be done and fast! Maybe a fundraiser? At different places around the County. 857,000 is quite a bit but if everyone works together we could raise the money so no one loses their jobs and the kids won't suffer.
Big boy

White Plains, KY

#2 Feb 9, 2012
I hate to say it but more cuts are coming in all areas of the local state and federal government this is just the tip of the iceberg. I hate for anyone to lose their job but some tough decisions are gonna have to be made in all areas of government. The local state and federal government must find ways to cut spending because it is out of control. I believe it is something that must be done for our children's future because everyday that goes by we leave them deeper and deeper in debt.
ToddCountySchool Dad

Valdosta, GA

#3 Feb 9, 2012
It makes no sense. When I read the paper and saw who the BOE is cutting numerous jobs at the school level, but I did not see any mention of any job cuts being done at the Board Level. In the last 8 years the number of BOE level employees have grown by almost 200% of what it was 9-10 years ago. During that same time the school level employees have lost numerous positions. Why is the number of people working at the BOE growing while those who directly teach and work with our kids on a daily basis shrinking? Also board level pay has increase for several upper level board employees while pay for school level employees has become stagnant. Prime example Kenner accepted a $5000-$6000 pay raise this past year. What has he done to deserve that raise except ruin of school system in Todd County? Prior to Kenner's arrival as superintendent the test scores in the county had been on the rise, but after he took over the scores tanked. The only thing he has done is brought all of his good buddies to the board of education and given them upper level jobs. Jobs that they did not deserve and in most cases were not qualified to hold. To be honest jobs at the BOE level need to be cut and pay at the BOE level needs to be cut. We do not need to cut at the school level. Lastly, maybe we should also consider doing away with non-traditional sports. Only keeping football, basketball, baseball, and softball. That would save a lot of money for the district as well. Other districts are cutting non-traditional sports to save money. Why don't we?
Big boy

White Plains, KY

#4 Feb 9, 2012
I agree cut some of the BOE positions if it can be done legally I don't know if there has to be a certain number or not but lets get to the bare minimum. I can also agree with cutting non traditional sports if that will help. I however do not believe that these proposed cuts are going to be enough unfortunately. it is going to take more drastic measures whether we like it or not. Budgets are going to have to be slashed at all levels and that is just a fact. Everybody though needs to feel the pain of budget cuts at school not just a select few. It needs to be done across the board and then come back and cut even more where they can.
ToddCountySchool Dad

Valdosta, GA

#5 Feb 14, 2012
Thank the Lord. Mike Kenner is finally leaving our school district. Maybe now we can start a move in the right direction, if they hire someone who has leadership skills. I just hope the BOE does not hire one of his cronies to replace him. We need to look outside of the district for our leadership for someone who can bring a breath of fresh air to our school district. We do not need to get bogged down by some one else who was part of the Mike Kenner regime. Let's all pray for the BOE members to make a move in the right direction and bring someone in who is not one of the good old boys in the county and can turn our school system around. Then maybe we can get the educational system in Todd County headed down the right path. We have amazing teachers and students, but we need an amazing leader in charge of it all at the Board of Education.
just me

Henderson, KY

#6 Feb 15, 2012
ToddCountySchoolDad wrote:
Thank the Lord. Mike Kenner is finally leaving our school district. Maybe now we can start a move in the right direction, if they hire someone who has leadership skills. I just hope the BOE does not hire one of his cronies to replace him. We need to look outside of the district for our leadership for someone who can bring a breath of fresh air to our school district. We do not need to get bogged down by some one else who was part of the Mike Kenner regime. Let's all pray for the BOE members to make a move in the right direction and bring someone in who is not one of the good old boys in the county and can turn our school system around. Then maybe we can get the educational system in Todd County headed down the right path. We have amazing teachers and students, but we need an amazing leader in charge of it all at the Board of Education.
At the board meeting Monday night, they voted to make Mike Kenner the head of the search committee for a new Super. So I guess that means nothing will change if he gets to pick who he wants to replace him. How much worse could it get!!??
ToddCountySchool Dad

Valdosta, GA

#7 Feb 16, 2012
That is a scary thought. Why would you put a person in charge of finding a new superintendent when he himself stunk so bad in that position? Maybe the BOe members who sit on the Board with him are his cronies as well or are just not intelligent enough not to know better. I guess we will either end up with Ms. Brown, Mr. Taylor, or Ms. Myers as the new superintendent. Kenner has been grooming them for superintendent positions for a while now and they are all his cronies. I will have to say all would be worst than Kenner in the superintendent's position. Lets just pray that the right person who has no ties to Todd County is hired and can turn our school system around.
We are the laughing stock in this region when it comes to school systems. Here we have pumped all of this money into computers and technology for students, but our scores continue to drop lower and lower. You know those laptops were Rory Fundora and Mike Kenner's dream. You see hat their dream has done, it has caused our students to suffer. I will tell you one thing our students may not be any better at academics, but boy are they getting really good at listening to music on itunes, sending e-mails, watching youtube, and making movies on those laptops, iPads, and iPods.
To think about it, the last time I checked that was not a requirement for college or a job in the real world.
Way to go Kenner. That is one other way you have ruined the school system in Todd County.
ToddCountySchool Dad

Valdosta, GA

#11 Feb 18, 2012
My son is in the top 5% of his class thank you. He maintains a 4.0 GPA and has great technology skills. But he will tell you that 90% of the time the students in the high school use the laptops for nonacademic purposes while at school. I never said the computers were a bad thing, but since the introduction of the computers, iPads, and iPods across the district test scores on both state testing and ACT testing have dropped. Yes, good computer skills are important in life, but how to use iTunes, create a podcast, make an iMovie, use Twitter, use discussion boards, and watch youtube is not a requirement for 90+ percent of college classes. As for myself I am a very educated person having a bachelor's degree and 3 masters degree. I emphasize the importance of a sound and solid education to both of my sons. One of my sons has all ready graduated high school and scored a 34 on his ACT test. Which if you know anything about ACT test scores is exceptionally high.
I really like lanman73 how you have inferred that the student body in Todd County are not intelligent and that they are monkeys. Mr. Kenner is just flat out guilty of being a very poor leader and superintendent. He was not a good Ag Teacher at Todd Central, he was not a good Principal at North Todd, and he has not been a good superintendent for Todd County Schools.
Lanman73 I like how you also based your daughters education on where she could get a free laptop to use while in high school and did not consider the value of the educational system in Todd County when you decided to live here. If you look at the state and ACT test scores over the past 4-5 years they have been some of the lowest in the state. The last time I saw a comparison to other schools those scores were in the bottom 20% in the state.
I will say one last thing. Thank God Mike Kenner will no longer be the Todd County School Superintendent after the 2011-2012 school year. God does still answer prayers, even though it took 4 years of Mike Kenner in charge for a lot of parents prayers to be answered.
schoolgal

Herndon, VA

#12 Feb 19, 2012
ToddCountySchoolDad wrote:
My son is in the top 5% of his class thank you. He maintains a 4.0 GPA and has great technology skills. But he will tell you that 90% of the time the students in the high school use the laptops for nonacademic purposes while at school. I never said the computers were a bad thing, but since the introduction of the computers, iPads, and iPods across the district test scores on both state testing and ACT testing have dropped. Yes, good computer skills are important in life, but how to use iTunes, create a podcast, make an iMovie, use Twitter, use discussion boards, and watch youtube is not a requirement for 90+ percent of college classes. As for myself I am a very educated person having a bachelor's degree and 3 masters degree. I emphasize the importance of a sound and solid education to both of my sons. One of my sons has all ready graduated high school and scored a 34 on his ACT test. Which if you know anything about ACT test scores is exceptionally high.
I really like lanman73 how you have inferred that the student body in Todd County are not intelligent and that they are monkeys. Mr. Kenner is just flat out guilty of being a very poor leader and superintendent. He was not a good Ag Teacher at Todd Central, he was not a good Principal at North Todd, and he has not been a good superintendent for Todd County Schools.
Lanman73 I like how you also based your daughters education on where she could get a free laptop to use while in high school and did not consider the value of the educational system in Todd County when you decided to live here. If you look at the state and ACT test scores over the past 4-5 years they have been some of the lowest in the state. The last time I saw a comparison to other schools those scores were in the bottom 20% in the state.
I will say one last thing. Thank God Mike Kenner will no longer be the Todd County School Superintendent after the 2011-2012 school year. God does still answer prayers, even though it took 4 years of Mike Kenner in charge for a lot of parents prayers to be answered.
well said!
ToddCountySchool Dad

Valdosta, GA

#13 Feb 19, 2012
I just noticed on other thing Lanman73. You stated that the children of Todd County could possibly are the offspring of underachieving parents. So I guess you are inferring that the adults in Todd County are lazy and stupid and that is why the test scores of the students are as low as they are now. I beg to differ we have very hard working and intelligent adults in Todd County.
Also, the fact that you stated "Mr. Kenner had the best of intentions with the laptops" does not mean anything at all. Look at our politicians and president they have good intentions based upon on their own beliefs and feelings, but look at the shape is has gotten our country into these days. The best of intentions does not mean anything unless you follow through with it and have a positive outcome. Which is some thing that Mike Kenner has not done.
Through out history we have had many leaders that at the time they were making decisions thought they were good intentions and thought what they were doing was the best thing for the people under their leadership. Many a country have been ruined and many a peoples lives have been lost or ruined at the hands of a leader who had good intentions and thought they were doing what was best for the people.
We are just lucky that Mike Kenner is leaving, and we pray that a true leader comes into Todd County to lead our school district in the right direction.
Cyndi

Nashville, TN

#14 Apr 11, 2012
Who's going to take over for Kenner?
ToddCountySchool Dad

Cadiz, KY

#15 Apr 11, 2012
We just better hope and pray that it is no one currently at the Todd County Board of Education. By that I mean Debbie Brown, Vicki Myers, or Mike Taylor. If it is we will be in just as bad or worst shape than we were with Mike Kenner at the helm.
in the know

Owensboro, KY

#16 Nov 8, 2012
The new superintendent is doing a really good job! Nice guy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff's Candiadates 2 hr IP Preacher 44
My name will always live on as a POS yes 2 hr Easy Sider 3
Teachers GROW UP 4 hr HSTruman 41
Election Thu Todd county suppo... 1
Aubrey that used to work at maxfuel (Jul '17) Apr 18 Tcboy 5
the shit thinkers bible Apr 14 Excuse me while I... 5
Sheriff for Todd County... Who's running and when Apr 14 Curious 21

Elkton Jobs

Personal Finance

Elkton Mortgages