Rejection of Wright comes way too late

Rejection of Wright comes way too late

There are 46 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 1, 2008, titled Rejection of Wright comes way too late. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Sorry, but I don't buy the thesis of The Sun 's editorial "Rejecting hate" that "we believe the candidate when he says with some emotion that his goal is to bring Americans together, not divide them, as Pastor ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hollie

Fort Washington, MD

#1 May 1, 2008
And if the Rev. Jeremiah Wright had not existed, what other non-issue would you people have glommed onto to justify your opposition to Obama? I don't believe you saw Wright and decided that Obama's association with him makes Obama unacceptable. I believe you were opposed to Obama from the outset and were looking for any convenient excuse to justify your opposition. If it hadn't been Wright it would have been something else.

No reasonable, fair-minded person can possibly believe that Obama shares Wright's views. The fact that Obama "sat in that church for 20 years and listened to Wriht" means only that he saw Wright as his spiritual guide, not that he had any sympathy for the pastor's political opinions.

I've sat in a synagogue for 25 years listening to right-wing political screeds from the rabbi, with which I profoundly disagree, and which I find at times racist, homophobic, and anti-Gentile. But I stay because I have profound respect for the rabbi's authority on the Torah and on Jewish law, and because of the fellowship and support I experience with other congregants.

I don't look to my President for spiritual guidance, and I don't look to my clergyman for political guidance.

So tell me, if Wright didn't exist, what would be your alternative reason for making an a priori judgment about Obama, other than the color of his skin--which I believe is the real issue for all of you who are screaming "Twenty years in that church!"
mike p

United States

#2 May 1, 2008
Bottom line...Wright is a racist. If a white pastor was saying the same thing, except the words white and black were switched the Rev Al's and Rev Jesse crowd would be screaming. What amazes me is that he has over 8000 followers and they don't see the wrong in this guy. Can you say double standard?
Clarence Odland

Eden Prairie, MN

#3 May 1, 2008
Wright is entirely wrong. OR--

Rwight is entirely rwong.:)
Hollie

Fort Washington, MD

#4 May 1, 2008
Yes, Wright is a racist. That doesn't make Obama a racist.

And yes, I can say "double standard." As in the double standard that makes an issue of Wright but says NOTHING about Hillary Clinton's 16-yaer membership in a secretive Washington prayer group called "The Fellowship" or "The Family" that is preaches against gays, abortion, stem cell research, global warming, and other liberal values she claims to uphold. Some of the most reactionary, racist members of Congress are part of that group. You don't hear a word about it in the media--because in Hillary case, you can't condemn her for what her spiritual mentors say or do, you can only condemn Obama for what HIS spiritual mentors say and do.

And yes, I can say "double standard" when I see John McCain getting a free pass on HIS spiritual adviser, Ted Hagee--the anti-Catholic, anti-Semitic yahoo who makes the late Jerry Falwell sound like Mahatma Gandhi.

You say that if white people said about blacks the sorts of things that Wright s saying about whites, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al. would be screaming. Yes, they would. And quite rightly But what are YOU doing when Wright attacks white people? You're screaming about it, too, aren't you? Like right now.

Another double standard--it's okay for white people to get indignant when they are unfairly attacked, but it's wrong for Al Sharpton & other blacks to complain when THEIR people are unfairly attacked.

If you MUST whine about black people and their leaders, at least try to be logical and consistent.
Gus Smegma

Sykesville, MD

#5 May 1, 2008
Whine on yourself, Hollie! Whine on!

Since: Feb 08

Mountville, PA

#6 May 1, 2008
Many years ago I fell into the habit of flipping on certain televangelists' programs¬óJim Baker, Jimmy Swaggart, Billy James Hargis. No good reason; it was just amusing background noise.

At least once during each of his performances Jimmy Swaggart would get himself worked up and do this little dance back and forth across the stage. I clearly remember on one particular occasion how he held his Bible high above his head and proclaimed that it was the constitution of the United States. He was flat out wrong, of course. The U.S. Constitution is the constitution of the United States; no other written thing can be substituted for it.

At least, that is what every loyal American believes. I have no way of proving it, but I would bet the farm that not a single member in his audience stood up and walked out in disgust at his anti-American talk.(Many left at a later time after a couple of especially dirty sex scandals.)

The truth is that churchgoers give their preachers a great deal of latitude. The reverend can say nearly anything provided he does so with pizzazz or anger or indignation or holiness, whatever resonates well with his flock.

Should he have left his church out of principle? Yes, but that's not what people usually do. Until congregations begin to change (for the better), nobody, including Obama, should be singled out and lambasted for not going against the grain.
tarajane

Somerville, MA

#7 May 1, 2008
I believe that Barack Obama's rejection of Wright is a bow to political pressure and his anger is more about the pastor calling him a politician than it is outrage over any of the controversial sermons. That is why he finally cut the cord to his church. It confirms my frustration with people swallowing the notion that he is somehow above politicking or some new kind of political figure.
Get Real

Norfolk, VA

#8 May 1, 2008
If Hollie didn't have the Wright debacle to glom onto in her crusade to denigrate those who don't support Obama, what else would she whine about??
Myron Wickham

Baltimore, MD

#9 May 1, 2008
My Friends,

It is not racist to be angry about four hundred years of oppression, slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination in housing, jobs and education, etc. etc. etc.
great

Columbia, MD

#10 May 1, 2008
Hollie wrote:
Yes, Wright is a racist. That doesn't make Obama a racist.
And yes, I can say "double standard." As in the double standard that makes an issue of Wright but says NOTHING about Hillary Clinton's 16-yaer membership in a secretive Washington prayer group called "The Fellowship" or "The Family" that is preaches against gays, abortion, stem cell research, global warming, and other liberal values she claims to uphold. Some of the most reactionary, racist members of Congress are part of that group. You don't hear a word about it in the media--because in Hillary case, you can't condemn her for what her spiritual mentors say or do, you can only condemn Obama for what HIS spiritual mentors say and do.
And yes, I can say "double standard" when I see John McCain getting a free pass on HIS spiritual adviser, Ted Hagee--the anti-Catholic, anti-Semitic yahoo who makes the late Jerry Falwell sound like Mahatma Gandhi.
You say that if white people said about blacks the sorts of things that Wright s saying about whites, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, et al. would be screaming. Yes, they would. And quite rightly But what are YOU doing when Wright attacks white people? You're screaming about it, too, aren't you? Like right now.
Another double standard--it's okay for white people to get indignant when they are unfairly attacked, but it's wrong for Al Sharpton & other blacks to complain when THEIR people are unfairly attacked.
If you MUST whine about black people and their leaders, at least try to be logical and consistent.
Great post. I had never even heard of this prayer group to which Hillary is a member!
Graniteman

Durham, NH

#11 May 1, 2008
It now appears that the Obamas joined Rev. Wright's congregation twenty years ago so that Senator Obama could tap into Chicago Democratic machine politics and launch his political career. It worked. The Senator's error was that he thought he could stay cozy with Rev. Wright until the moment that Mr. Obama launched his presidential campaign. Senator Obama cancelled an invitation to Rev. Wright to appear at the announcement of Obama's candidacy. That pissed off Wright (who clearly has a HUGE ego) and he is now punishing the very junior senator from Illinois. Shakespeare couldn't have written a better tragedy (or is it comedy?).
Gina

Greenbelt, MD

#12 May 1, 2008
To me, the significance of the Jeremiah Wright scandal isn't that it links Senator Obama with a racist nutcase.

The significance is that, in perfect proportion to the degree of voter indignation, Obama alternately embraced Wright, acted as his apologist and finally rejected him. Official condemnation did not come because Obama, after twenty years, suddenly realized what Wright was all about. It came because the relationship and its attending bad press had become a clear liability.

All of this reveals Obama to be what many of us have called him all along -- just another politician who acts primarily out of political expediency. There's nothing wrong with that. It's how the game is played. But let's please put an end to this myth that Obama is above playing the game.
Jon

Washington, DC

#13 May 1, 2008
The problem is bigger than just rev wright in US in relation to Blacks. Some black kids act mindless and invite trouble. There are several incidents that I can quote which pushed me to almost call 911 to get help and protection.

Other day when myself and wife visited our friends. When we came out and were about to leave, we were saying good bye near the car by the walk way. 2 black kids were walking towards the south. when they passed us, one of the black kid sneaked his hands between us for a second and walked away laghing.

Now, that is the first time I saw that guy and I do not even know why did he do that justure... seems cultureless and disrespectful. but then I heard from my friend that they saw few days back a black kid dropped trash in a shopping plastic bag in the middle of 3 people who were conversing in the lot and walked away laughing.

I was thinking what is wrong with these folks? This may lead to bigger problems if people react to their actions.

Educated and cultured people avoid problems by tolerating all these stupid things that they do.

Good attitude is one of the greatest assets necessary in the global economy to succeed but they folks gets a 0 in it.
Doh

Baltimore, MD

#14 May 1, 2008
Myron Wickham wrote:
My Friends,
It is not racist to be angry about four hundred years of oppression, slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination in housing, jobs and education, etc. etc. etc.
Wright and his congregation sure look oppressed. I'd be willing to bet that they all make significantly more than my co-workers or I.

Jim Crowe no longer exists and you know it. Get over it, already.
B Williams

Fort George G Meade, MD

#15 May 1, 2008
The Reverend Wright is this election year's distraction. Hey if you don't support Obama do it because you don't think he will make a good president. He11 I can even accept not voting for him because he is biracial. Don't hold him accountable for something somebody else said years ago. This year folks vote issues that really influence your life - taxes, unemployment, NAFTA, immigration, education, the War in Iraq, gas prices, the housing crisis. Who offers the best solutions. We will never get it right in this country.
mgg

Kent, WA

#16 May 1, 2008
While not an Obama supporter, one thing is for sure, if this man makes it to the White House and makes one false move to expose a "black agenda" this country (expect for blacks who might agree with him) will be all over him. They say the safest airplane to fly in is one that just reported problems. In other words, Obama's association with undesirable haters has now put his and his wife's past nod to favorving blacks in the spotlight to the tune I would doubt he could get a lot done in that regard as president. Obama is just lucky he is not white, at this point he wold not even be in the running.
Frank

Elkridge, MD

#17 May 1, 2008
Myron Wickham wrote:
My Friends,
It is not racist to be angry about four hundred years of oppression, slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination in housing, jobs and education, etc. etc. etc.
How many hundreds of years??? 400???

Don't get me wrong - even one year (or one second) is too many when it comes to the horrors of slavery.

But if you are going to make a statement like that and expect people to take you seriously, don't go overboard. You throw any credible argument you might have right out the winder.
Steve

Chevy Chase, MD

#18 May 1, 2008
Myron Wickham wrote:
My Friends,
It is not racist to be angry about four hundred years of oppression, slavery, Jim Crow, discrimination in housing, jobs and education, etc. etc. etc.
Funny I think the Jews had a much more difficult past, and you hear them wine about discrimination. As a matter of fact the Holocost was more recent and far worse that salvery. The jews as a whole seem to be doing quite well.
Tom H

Washington, DC

#19 May 1, 2008
Obama shouldn't have rejected Wright. His pastor aint deficient, he's just different.
Bren

Mckeesport, PA

#20 May 1, 2008
Hollie wrote:
And if the Rev. Jeremiah Wright had not existed, what other non-issue would you people have glommed onto to justify your opposition to Obama? I don't believe you saw Wright and decided that Obama's association with him makes Obama unacceptable. I believe you were opposed to Obama from the outset and were looking for any convenient excuse to justify your opposition. If it hadn't been Wright it would have been something else.
No reasonable, fair-minded person can possibly believe that Obama shares Wright's views. The fact that Obama "sat in that church for 20 years and listened to Wriht" means only that he saw Wright as his spiritual guide, not that he had any sympathy for the pastor's political opinions.
I've sat in a synagogue for 25 years listening to right-wing political screeds from the rabbi, with which I profoundly disagree, and which I find at times racist, homophobic, and anti-Gentile. But I stay because I have profound respect for the rabbi's authority on the Torah and on Jewish law, and because of the fellowship and support I experience with other congregants.
I don't look to my President for spiritual guidance, and I don't look to my clergyman for political guidance.
So tell me, if Wright didn't exist, what would be your alternative reason for making an a priori judgment about Obama, other than the color of his skin--which I believe is the real issue for all of you who are screaming "Twenty years in that church!"
There is plenty----Farrakhan, William Ayers, Rezko, his family members in Africa that belong to Muslim terrorist groups, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min cathy1691823 1,431,726
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 43 min Brian_G 311,867
legit Research Chemicals Vendor (Sep '13) 13 hr amy 42
News 8 people, including toddler, shot in east Balti... 16 hr former democrat 3
News Multiple people shot in East Baltimore: police 16 hr former democrat 2
News Multiple People Injured In Baltimore Shooting,a 17 hr Sammy 1
News 2 men charged with beating teen who egged Orlan... (Nov '08) Sat Posie 145

Elkridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elkridge Mortgages