Woman, 22, dies after being taken from jail to hospital

Feb 8, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Springfield News Leader

“There are extenuating circumstances we can't reveal because of the restrictions of the HIPAA Act”

Authorities are seeking the cause of death for a 22-year-old woman who was taken by ambulance to the hospital from the Greene County Jail. via Springfield News Leader

Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated Jul 24, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Talk Smack, Don't Shoot it!!!!”

Since: Jun 07

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

Judged:

There have been past articles about the temperatures and crowded quarters at greene county jail. Im sure the cold temps in jail didn't help add to the sick woman's pneumonia. Do you know how bad you would have to be sick this day in age to die at 22 of pneumonia?? VERY SICK...and it makes me sick that someone requesting medical care was denied it for six days while everyone shuffled paper work around. The way greene county looks at it is "oh well its just some doper who we don't want to spend any money on". I hope this time an answer is given to the public instead of the usual "shhh and it will go away" game.
songs4me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

This is very sad, so young, did anyone know her?
songs4me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Sammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2008

The jail is currently overcrowded. Many inmates
continue to contract staph. They can't control it.
Non violent inmates should be released with monitoring bracelets. The sick inmates whose immune systems can not handle these infections
should have proper attention, not to be ignored.
saw it myself

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

I happen to know for a fact this women was seen by medical a lot. She didn't have a cough, she never ran a fever. She was withdrawing from shooting meth on the street. She could have given herself MRSA from shooting up! One minute she would be yelling profanity naked in her cell and the next asking for drugs for a back ache she had since a car wreck a year ago. The last article said the infection declines rapidly. Sunday she was fine, monday she started to look sick and they sent her to the hospital.
MRS FatMan

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

The fact remains that inmates are not given proper medical treatment, when they do recieve medical they are charge more that what a hospital charges for something as simple as a asprin. The guards miss treat and ignore inmates that complain for even ask to sign up for medical. The Missouri Department of Corrections has a excellent medical program inmates recieve free medical and are taking care of with proper medical treatment. Greene County covers up all the problems that happen in their jail, they run it like a consentration camp. Something needs to be done and it needs to be done now. No one in there right mind can defend the jail or its employees. Those offenders may have broken the law but they are human beings and they deserve a lot better treatment than what they get in green county jail. The only difference between those inmates and everyone else is they got caught!!!!!!!
Mitch

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2008

Judged:

Yea, what are these people at the Jailhouse thinking by treating these criminals like criminals. Something needs to be done. lol
mrsfatman

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2008

Judged:

Mitch wrote:
Yea, what are these people at the Jailhouse thinking by treating these criminals like criminals. Something needs to be done. ll
Oh thats right criminals are not human they are animals and thus we should treat them like animals. A mother or father steals a loaf of bread to feed his or her children and he or she is a animal right all criminals are animals so lock them up throw away the key. I dont know a single person who has not at some time broken the law. This country and state is full of brainless people like you that cant see the corruption that flows through the justice system, this is why we will and always be a country divided by race, and soical status
di nc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

I have a daughter in greene county jail and am very concerned for her well being. My daughter is no angel but she does deserve to be treated like a human being. I know the guards have seen everything and heard everything. i just want them to remember these men and women are someone's daughter or son or mother or father. they have problems but they still have family who care and want them to be treated fair. jail is suppose to be a place to hold them but unfortunately it has become their prison as well due to overcrowding. they need support to become drug free and educated about their crimes. yes some of career criminals but you can't change everyone but to treat them as less than human does not help. there is a saying, if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.
Jeezzz Lets feel sorry

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

I seriously doubt they lock anyone in Jail for an extended stay for a freakin loaf of bread. Get the picture man.... this was a meth addict who shot her last load and died from the consequences of a life of drugs. Maybe they arent being treated medically like YOU would like but dont you think they should have thought about the things they WILL NOT HAVE before turning to a life that would send them to jail?? We taxpayers have paid for these people long enough. Maybe if we quit giving prisioners "3 hots and a cot" and free medical and free cable the system would work. I refuse to feel sorry for people who put themselves into these situations and expect everyone to feel sorry for them. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for your actions is too much to expect of them.
mrsfatman wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh thats right criminals are not human they are animals and thus we should treat them like animals. A mother or father steals a loaf of bread to feed his or her children and he or she is a animal right all criminals are animals so lock them up throw away the key. I dont know a single person who has not at some time broken the law. This country and state is full of brainless people like you that cant see the corruption that flows through the justice system, this is why we will and always be a country divided by race, and soical status
Get a clue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

Before you post a comment why dont you get you facts straight, inmates pay for there medical and boarding in jail they do not just sit in there why tax payors flip the bill. Get you facts before you open you mouth. So complaining about having to pay for inmates in BS, oh I am sure that the jails would like for the tax payors to believe we are paying for it but really we are not.
Get a clue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

And since she was just a meth head then I would like for you to go to her mother and father and tell them she was a worthless meth head who got what she deserved. Maybe one of your children or brothers or sister deserve what she got to
brandi

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2008

Judged:

no inmates should not be treated bad they should be treated good there human begins just like u and me. in the bible ays do dont judge anyone for u judge ur self . so why are u judge them kinda of people. cus u sin urself . do u think good more happy about what u are saying are doing no .
Jeezzz Lets feel sorry

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Get a clue wrote:
And since she was just a meth head then I would like for you to go to her mother and father and tell them she was a worthless meth head who got what she deserved. Maybe one of your children or brothers or sister deserve what she got to
Sounds like you are one too
Jeezzz Lets feel sorry

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

Get a clue wrote:
Maybe her MOTHER and FATHER shoudl have helped her before it got this far... I am sick of hearing about the sad situations for alot of these people.
Sammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2008

Judged:

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.
Wow are you human

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2008

Jeezzz Lets feel sorry wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe her MOTHER and FATHER shoudl have helped her before it got this far... I am sick of hearing about the sad situations for alot of these people.
I knew the girl in highschool and she was a very sweet and bright person.....and to claim that she is basically just a "meth head" shows that you are a very one dimentional person, who has never made a mistake in your whoole life.....people like you make my stomach turn and I hope I can go the rest of my life avoiding you people. I am feel more sorry for you than poor Shelly, and no need to respond cause I have lost all faith an anything you have or will ever say
missourigurl

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2008

Judged:

songs4me wrote:
This is very sad, so young, did anyone know her?
I knew her i was in jail for 4 bad checks and know nothing about the jail scene this girl happend to be in the bunk across from me ....I was talking to her and she was telling us how bad she was hurting ...That she had fallen off a roof retreving a frisbe and hurt her self she couldnt hardly move i got her water and tried to keep her coverd up ..They then moved her up to the part of the jails that were cells ...We found out what happend that day they say she died in the Ambulance not at the Jail
janky

Webb City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Judged:

Sad, but wouldn't have happened if she didn't commit a crime.
chris phillips

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2008

missourigurl... if you ever get back on here please write back. I was her boyfriend and was trying so hard to bail her out. I would like to talk to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Elkland Discussions

Search the Elkland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Obama Bitches 95,663
School Tax Ripoff 1 hr truth 9
dr, dennis robinson (Aug '10) Sat Thomas 45
judge Aaron Jones/owner Smittys,Price Cutter su... Sat Sward 1
MO August 3 Missouri Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 25 vote to vote 10,207
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) Jul 23 CLUE 6,909
Candidate for judge denies assault claim (Oct '12) Jul 23 did Joy Beeler do it 66
•••
•••
•••
•••

Elkland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Elkland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••