First slain Civil War general died in...

First slain Civil War general died in W.Va.

There are 5 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Jul 12, 2011, titled First slain Civil War general died in W.Va.. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

Named commander of the Confederate Army of the Northwest a few days after the Southern defeat at the Battle of Philippi, Gen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

who

Fairmont, WV

#1 Jul 12, 2011
Did he just die?
History Buff

Fairmont, WV

#2 Aug 5, 2012
Confederate General Robert S. Garnett was killed on July 13th during the Battle of Corrick's Ford in what is now Parson, WV. He was the first general killed during the American Civil War.

http://canaanvalley.org/Visit/corricks-ford-b...
Jerry

Morgantown, WV

#3 Aug 5, 2012
Who cares. This is 2012. What's happening now ithat is news. Let me tell you, NOTHING.
lorna doone

Greensboro, NC

#4 Oct 18, 2012
People who are interested in history are interested. The title of this topix is first slain Civil War general died in WV. Romney, Ryan, Obama, biden are not mentioned in the title but on those topix anything and everything is mentioned including the War Between the States. Thanks for the info, History Buff.
see through

Clarksburg, WV

#5 Nov 18, 2014
A young boy died trying to protect the General from the Union soldiers while the rest of the unit tried to flee. The boy is buried in an unmarked grave behind the Corrick House close to the grave marker for the Corricks. The boy deserved a medal!!
History Buff wrote:
Confederate General Robert S. Garnett was killed on July 13th during the Battle of Corrick's Ford in what is now Parson, WV. He was the first general killed during the American Civil War.
http://canaanvalley.org/Visit/corricks-ford-b...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor Broughton Hides Behind The Bible 55 min Someone 13
Little Bradley Talbott 1 hr Sorry 26
Jamie Deshayes 1 hr Seriously 17
Shooting in Highland Park. 1 hr GetAtMe 1
Michael Shane White 13 hr Scratching my head 50
Albert Chewning 15 hr Scretch 43
Ellamore Recreation Center/ Community Building 19 hr hearsay 73

Elkins Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance