City looking at increase in water rate

City looking at increase in water rate

There are 32 comments on the The Inter-Mountain story from Nov 19, 2012, titled City looking at increase in water rate. In it, The Inter-Mountain reports that:

Buckhannon City Council approved an ordinance for a water rate increase proposal at last week's meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Inter-Mountain.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Buckhannon

#22 Nov 24, 2012
shawty wrote:
you are correct unknown hinson. the city does not control the water for the entire county of upshur. i know ellamore has their own water department as well.
You are the one who's incorrect. The City contracts with the Adrian PSD, providing every single drop of water there. No City, no water- there is only one water public water provider in all of Upshur County, one water plant-
Water for brains

Clarksburg, WV

#23 Nov 24, 2012
Get the facts

City supplies water to 85 percent of upshur plus some to other counties

Buckhannon water rates are low, check with other cities in the area

Tax money does not pay for the cost of water

New York, NY

#24 Nov 24, 2012
Water for brains wrote:
Get the facts

City supplies water to 85 percent of upshur plus some to other counties

Buckhannon water rates are low, check with other cities in the area

Tax money does not pay for the cost of water
The "water rates" may be low. But, they more than make up for it with sewage and all the other little fees they attach to it. Before I moved into city limits a family of 4 (washing machine, dishwasher, pool) paid $50 tops a month for the same services . Yet, in town for 2 people without any of those perks it's usually around $60 and at a minimum $55
Lena

Roanoke, VA

#25 Nov 24, 2012
It is outragous what the total bill is sewage is higher than the water part of the bill
Pugilist

Elkins, WV

#26 Nov 24, 2012
Uknown Hinson wrote:
If the city provides water county-wide why do I pay the Adrian p.s.d. for my water? Why does my cousin pay the Elkins road p.s.d.? Shouldn't we be paying Buckhannon instead ?
The City of Buckhannon sells water to the public Service Districts, it is then passed to customers. Therefore, expect a rate increase.

Buckhannon

#27 Nov 25, 2012
[QUOTE who="..."]<quoted text>
The "water rates" may be low. But, they more than make up for it with sewage and all the other little fees they attach to it. Before I moved into city limits a family of 4 (washing machine, dishwasher, pool) paid $50 tops a month for the same services . Yet, in town for 2 people without any of those perks it's usually around $60 and at a minimum $55[/QUOTE]

Wrong again- the Buckhannon sewer rates also are among the lowest in the state- around the 30th percentile among all sewer utilities in WV. And the Tennerton PSD's rates for sewer are higher than Buckhannon's. And when it comes to garbage, those are less expensive than almost all places around Buckhannon, too, and garbage service within the city is cheaper than outside the City. Furthermore, for that $60 you get municipal police and fire protection. Considering you'll soon be paying about double that for expanded basic tv service- we all get a good deal from the municipal services. Storm hits, no electric, no cable, sometimes no phone- but when was the last time you didn't have water or sewage that worked? The municipal utilities are nearly double, sometimes more than Buckhannon's all around us- look it up- it's all public information, there isn't some dirty little secret about it-

New York, NY

#28 Nov 25, 2012
How am I wrong about the bill in two different locations? It's black and white. Through the city is way higher than the house we had in Tallmansville.

Cable has nothing to do with this, but if you feel you must know I don't waste any $ on cable.

And yes, my water in city limits was turned off/not working during the the summer power outage.

Keep making an ass out of yourself. The rates are ridiculous.
SarCrizma

Chicago, IL

#29 Nov 25, 2012
Other citys do not add all the fees to Suck You Dry like this great town. Somebody has to pay for the high class Cristmas Lights on main street. Plus im sure somebody needs a christmas bonus.

Buckhannon

#30 Nov 26, 2012
[QUOTE who="."]How am I wrong about the bill in two different locations? It's black and white. Through the city is way higher than the house we had in Tallmansville.
Cable has nothing to do with this, but if you feel you must know I don't waste any $ on cable.
And yes, my water in city limits was turned off/not working during the the summer power outage.
Keep making an ass out of yourself. The rates are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Keep rambling Richard, you are proven wrong, wrong, wrong- check out the PSC website and make up some more stuff- idiot
abc

Buckhannon, WV

#31 Nov 26, 2012
sunnybucker wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep rambling Richard, you are proven wrong, wrong, wrong- check out the PSC website and make up some more stuff- idiot
http://www.psc.state.wv.us/Utility_Rankings/W...
There are several areas way cheaper and even one in Upshur.

Buckhannon

#32 Nov 26, 2012
abc wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.psc.state.wv.us/Utility_Rankings/W...
There are several areas way cheaper and even one in Upshur.
Almost all of the 39 that are "cheaper" than Buckhannon, are Public Service Districts or Water Associations. That means they don't have a water plant, and they buy their water from a city that has a water plant- so in order to establish their total rate, you have to add their distribution cost to the water acquisition cost. Ask somebody out there in the Brushy Fork Water Association what they're paying for their water, and get back to me- Jesus, Buckhannon is 40 out of 398, and virtually every city in the State charges more for water than Buckhannon does-
oh naw

Elkins, WV

#33 Nov 26, 2012
i aint payin dat much fur watr!! i gettin mine turn off tomorow!!! watr fre y we gotta pay fur it???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who's easy in Parsons? 6 hr Looking in parsons 6
Cowards Of Coastal Lumber 7 hr Richard DeBias 10
The Rossi Forest Festival Wed annoyed 17
Wilfong Tue Ugg 49
Hey BEKI Jun 29 hehehehaw 1
diamond street Jun 29 panik 18
Decals Jun 29 awesome work 2
More from around the web

Elkins People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE