“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#57502 Apr 23, 2014
Chicken Little Climateers wrote:
The game is up for climate change believers
06 Apr 2014
Charles Moore reviews The Age of Global Warming by Rupert Darwall
Most of us pay some attention to the weather forecast. If it says it will rain in your area tomorrow, it probably will. But if it says the same for a month, let alone a year, later, it is much less likely to be right. There are too many imponderables.
The theory of global warming is a gigantic weather forecast for a century or more. However interesting the scientific inquiries involved, therefore, it can have almost no value as a prediction....
Some of the utterances of the warmists are preposterously specific. In March 2009, the Prince of Wales declared that the world had “only 100 months to avert irretrievable climate and ecosystem collapse”. How could he possibly calculate such a thing?
Similarly, in his 2006 report on the economic consequences of climate change, Sir Nicholas Stern wrote that,“If we don’t act, the overall costs and risks of climate change will be equivalent to losing at least five per cent of global GDP each year, now and forever.” To the extent that this sentence means anything, it is clearly wrong....
The origins of warmism lie in a cocktail of ideas which includes anti-industrial nature worship, post-colonial guilt, a post-Enlightenment belief in scientists as a new priesthood of the truth, a hatred of population growth, a revulsion against the widespread increase in wealth and a belief in world government.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/non_...
Sure, we can pump 200 times the amount of naturally-occurring CO2 into the atmosphere and deforest millions of acres per year and it won't affect climate. Because on Planet Teabag, anything is possible.
warm snow

West Mifflin, PA

#57503 Apr 23, 2014
The legendary Apa Sherpa, who holds the record in summiting Everest 21 times, has been warning about rising risks from climate change for years. When he first summited the mountain in 1990, the trails were covered in thick layers of packed ice and snow. "Now, the trail is full of bare and exposed rock," he said, making it harder for climbers to gain footholds with their spiky metal crampons meant for digging into ice.

"The danger level has significantly risen for climbers," said Apa, 53, who now lives in Draper, Utah, and last conquered Everest in 2011.

Newly exposed rubble and rock can also cascade in rock avalanches — as now happens on the Eiger in the Swiss Alps during summertime.

Meanwhile, heavier snow storms would lead to more snow accumulating, raising avalanche risks. Shifting wind patterns may also affect how snow and ice behave. Glacier movement could change, and an increase in melt water trickling down could cause a glacier to move more quickly.

Read more here:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/04/23/scien...
thigh masters

West Mifflin, PA

#57504 Apr 23, 2014
Acid rain describes any form of precipitation with high levels of nitric and sulfuric acids. It can also occur in the form of snow, fog, and tiny bits of dry material that settle to Earth.

Rotting vegetation and erupting volcanoes release some chemicals that can cause acid rain, but most acid rain falls because of human activities. The biggest culprit is the burning of fossil fuels by coal-burning power plants, factories, and automobiles.

When humans burn fossil fuels, sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) are released into the atmosphere. These chemical gases react with water, oxygen, and other substances to form mild solutions of sulfuric and nitric acid. Winds may spread these acidic solutions across the atmosphere and over hundreds of miles. When acid rain reaches Earth, it flows across the surface in runoff water, enters water systems, and sinks into the soil.

All this information is gathered by the National Geographic........the most trusted magazine in the world!!! If you disagree with the NG, then you have a real problem !!

Read more here:

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/env...
Sen Bob Casey

Philadelphia, PA

#57505 Apr 23, 2014
Vote for me!
Haywood Jablomi

Carlisle, PA

#57506 Apr 24, 2014
So anyhow........Did we ever figure out who we are gonna vote for in 2010? After 4 years and 51,000 posts later I think we should have figured it out by now.
Gov Rendell

Philadelphia, PA

#57507 Apr 24, 2014
Miss me yet?
Gov Rendell

Philadelphia, PA

#57508 Apr 24, 2014
I miss you
Gov Rendell

Philadelphia, PA

#57509 Apr 24, 2014
Vote for me

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#57510 Apr 24, 2014
Haywood Jablomi wrote:
So anyhow........Did we ever figure out who we are gonna vote for in 2010? After 4 years and 51,000 posts later I think we should have figured it out by now.
Hillary in 2016.....
Racism Is Racism

Scranton, PA

#57511 Apr 24, 2014
Raced-Based Preferences Forever
April 23, 2014
Sonia Sotomayor picks a new euphemism for the endless fixation on race.

You can often tell when advocates of one side in an argument fear they will ultimately lose. They change their branding.

A few years ago, warnings about “global warming” were replaced with scare stories about “climate change.” One reason? The Earth had stopped appreciably warming in the late 1990s, making the change a PR necessity.

Supporters of affirmative action are now signaling similar weakness. What was called “racial quotas” in the 1970s and has been referred to as “affirmative action” since the 1990s is giving way to a new term:“race-sensitive admission policies.”

The language shift is telling — race-based preferences are losing intellectual, judicial, and political support.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/376358/...
Obamas Racist EEOC

Scranton, PA

#57512 Apr 24, 2014
Scathing appeals court calls out raging hypocrisy of race-baiting Obama administration bureaucrats
04/23/2014

It’s always satisfying to see race-baiting bureaucrats get their comeuppance in court, but an opinion by the 6th Circuit issued earlier this month begins especially delightfully:

"In this case the EEOC sued the defendants for using the same type of background check that the EEOC itself uses. The EEOC’s personnel handbook recites that “[o]verdue just debts increase temptation to commit illegal or unethical acts as a means of gaining funds to meet financial obligations.” Because of that concern, the EEOC runs credit checks on applicants for 84 of the agency’s 97 positions. The defendants (collectively,“Kaplan”) have the same concern; and thus Kaplan runs credit checks on applicants for positions that provide access to students’ financial-loan information, among other positions. For that practice, the EEOC sued Kaplan."
Kaplan collected no race (or gender) data about job applicants at the time of the credit checks. The company only sought such information at the hiring stage. Nevertheless, the EEOC saw a convoluted conspiracy to identify people by race — by using the very credit checks the EEOC uses.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/23/appeals-cou...
A non believer

Lehighton, PA

#57513 Apr 24, 2014
I'm one of those who has serious doubts about the predictions on the weather now or in the future. I remember hearing a lecture from a wx expert a half century ago. He said something like this. We really don't know enough now, centuries before, and to come.
As to daily wx predictions he said, "sometimes we can predict tomorrow's wx with 100% confidence. It absolutely must rain. Sometimes it absolutely can't rain. But sometimes we just don't know but the public wants a prediction and so we give you one and pray it will be close to correct. I think that's the way it is on these long range predictions on global warming.
Independent Voter

Philadelphia, PA

#57514 Apr 24, 2014
Who's gonna be the new gov??

“Comfort the afflicted”

Since: May 13

Afflict the comfortable

#57515 Apr 24, 2014
A non believer wrote:
I'm one of those who has serious doubts about the predictions on the weather now or in the future. I remember hearing a lecture from a wx expert a half century ago. He said something like this. We really don't know enough now, centuries before, and to come.
As to daily wx predictions he said, "sometimes we can predict tomorrow's wx with 100% confidence. It absolutely must rain. Sometimes it absolutely can't rain. But sometimes we just don't know but the public wants a prediction and so we give you one and pray it will be close to correct. I think that's the way it is on these long range predictions on global warming.
Weather isn't climate. Your doubts are based on anecdotal information and belief rather than science.
Independent Voter

Philadelphia, PA

#57516 Apr 24, 2014
Just dunno anymore
Julio Juandez

West Mifflin, PA

#57517 Apr 24, 2014
This Republican Congressman Wants Undocumented Immigrants To Join The Military !!!!!!!!!!

Military enlistment by undocumented immigrants would be allowed, under legislation being pushed by Rep. Jeff Denham.

The California Republican actually introduced the bill more than a year ago. He's now looking to add it onto another piece of legislation, the must-pass 2015 National Defense Authorization Act.

The bill would provide a way for undocumented immigrants to become Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) to the U.S. through their honorable service and sacrifice by serving in the U.S. military. The Encourage New Legalized Immigrants to Start Training (ENLIST) Act would give an opportunity for qualified undocumented immigrants to serve the nation they seek to become citizens in, Denham said in a statement.

Read more of the shocking teabagger story here:

http://politix.topix.com/story/11575-this-rep...
Pa dem

Chester Springs, PA

#57518 Apr 24, 2014
Wild stuff
Slick Willie

Erie, PA

#57519 Apr 24, 2014
I vote for Monica.
Julia

Chambersburg, PA

#57521 Apr 24, 2014
Testing
Pa dem

Chester Springs, PA

#57522 Apr 24, 2014
All stink

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkins Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) 2 hr The Bobster 619
Poll What should be done with all the priests who se... (Mar '11) 13 hr memyselfandi 5
News Tough Times Hit Shelter (Oct '10) 17 hr someone who sees ... 6
Review: Bee Your Hair Thu Hmmm 3
These Children need your help!!! (Feb '11) Thu Holotta Wytrache 3
News Judge: Mom Can Sue Sperm Bank For Daughter'S De... (Apr '09) Thu Holotta Wytrache 5
SEPTA Sucks (Feb '09) Thu LLL 2

Fire Weather Watch for Montgomery County was issued at April 17 at 3:58PM EDT

More from around the web

Elkins Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]