Poultry Waste Power Plant Loses Local Support

Full story: Fox 8 WGHP

A company that wants to build a power plant powered by poultry droppings along the Yadkin River in Surry County appears to have lost support from Surry County commissioners and the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce, the Yadkin Valley News reports.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Apr 12, 2010
Richard

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2010

Do we really need a plant that drops chicken droppings in the Yadkin River? How about all those people that live down stream from the plant? Goodbye, good riddance.
EDFmarie

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

This article doesn't make clear what the potential problems might have been with the poultry waste plant, but I will say it's a shame to see such a creative renewable energy idea losing support. Unless there are significant side effects of burning this waste, it seems like a really great way to make use out of an otherwise gross, pollutive, useless substance. I hope the county will take a close look at the plan to figure out whether or not the plant would have side effects, and if not, then by all means move forward with construction. We really need all the renewable energy projects we can get right now. Renewable energy and energy efficient technology make up some of the fastest-growing industries in the world right now, and because of the ongoing mechanization of the oil and coal industries, clean energy now creates around 3 times as many jobs per dollar invested as fossil fuels do. Power plants like Fibrowatt's would provide states like North Carolina with much-needed and long-lasting sources of both jobs and energy. I hope that local governments will take these benefits into account when making their final decisions, and in the meantime, I hope North Carolina's Senators Burr and Hagan will work on passing a clean energy bill in Congress so that renewable energy projects can see more of the investment and support they deserve.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Elkin Discussions

Search the Elkin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 47 min Red Square 55,741
Jonesville Music Thread Jul 21 Musikologist 3
Review: Revival Pain Management (May '13) Jul 18 Mike C 8
hot guy looking 4 fun (Dec '12) Mar '14 Really 5
How clean is your water in Elkin? Mar '14 PBryant 1
starmount memorial painted (Sep '13) Dec '13 Bucking elks 4
Jonesville begins ABC store discussions (Dec '13) Dec '13 Wow 1
•••
•••
•••
Elkin Dating

more search filters

less search filters