Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Lu.Congratulations.I'm glad that you are better.For real.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats Lu!!! Drinking has always been the norm I guess, but not for me. I wonder how many people on here have done things sober they wished they could have said they were drunk or "flying"? I know I have. When I was young, I would do anything from a dare and the things I did. Now I look back and say "what was I thinking", clearly I wasn't, and I wasn't even impaired. I just did it.
Thanks Bacon, it's been an amazing road. I could really write a book. A really amazing road. Anyway, I took the pups out and danged if it's not snowing! They like it though.
uga

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

wow

“Arch Nemisis of Democrats”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

TSF wrote:
Typical --seeing , remembering and accepting only what you want to see, remember or accept.
From your own link:

Note also that the idiot officers, after demanding that Fleming land, had to be told to clear their vehicles off the runway so he could land. Again: THESE IDIOTS ARE OUT OF CONTROL
<quoted text>
arguing semantics much?...because it also clearly states in the article...

"Fleming recalls that at some point someone requested he land at Hartsville, but then he was told he could continue. He climbed to 3,100 feet msl, circling to the northeast away from the lake, and planned to head back to Bermuda High Soaring; but he lost lift and descended to 1,900 feet msl. He turned toward Hartsville again, but found a thermal and climbed to 2,740 feet.“All I needed was another few hundred feet” to return to Bermuda High, he said. But he received a radio transmission for Hartsville telling him to land.

At the airport, Griffin said the officers on the scene told her to demand the glider land at Hartsville, but that an FAA official on the phone said the FAA was not demanding he land. So, she said, she gave Fleming a choice:“Police officers here are asking you to land, but the FAA says you do not have to land. I’m leaving this up to you.” Fleming said to tell the officers he’d be there in a minute, she recalled.

These accounts seem consistent with the Darlington County Sheriff Department’s incident report. Capt. Joyce C. Everett wrote that the suspect was “advised” to land at Hartsville, and that he had advised he was going to land elsewhere because he didn’t want to have his airplane towed. When he was instructed again to land in Hartsville, Everett wrote, he did. In a supplementary report, Sgt. Christopher J. Pittman wrote,“It is unclear as to exactly how that radio conversation went, but the pilot initially stated that he intended to land at Bermuda High landing strip in Jefferson, SC. After it was made clear that law enforcement expected him to land in Hartsville the pilot stated that he would comply.”

The arrest report, however, paints a different picture, alleging that Fleming “had to be ordered several times to land” before he complied. Griffin strongly contests this version of events:“I was the only one on the unicom with him,” she said.“I never demanded him to land.”

and in the second article...The sheriff says...

"Darlington County, S.C., Sheriff J. Wayne Byrd offered responses to some of the most common critiques from pilots after its publication. Byrd explained the decisions that led to the breach of peace charge, acknowledged mistaken assumptions that exacerbated the situation, and said the department had learned lessons on how better to respond in the future

Byrd acknowledged that the department had received many emails and calls, and that the Facebook account had been inundated with comments. He defended the department’s initial response to a call from the nuclear power plant security, but said that department staff probably should have realized earlier that the glider was not a threat.

“I’m not taking up for … mistakes that were made, but when you get a call from a facility like that, certain decisions have to be made within minutes and seconds,” Byrd said.“And the de-escalation comes afterwards.”

Unfortunately, the sheriff’s department didn’t de-escalate the situation as much as it should have, he said. But he defended the decision to hold Robin Fleming overnight and charge him with breach of peace. He said the local FBI had told them to hold the pilot for questioning, something they couldn’t do without a charge. The breach of peace charge is minor, he said, used for anything out of the ordinary, especially something that causes a law enforcement response."

Like you TSF, I can cherry pick to make my case too.

“Arch Nemisis of Democrats”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
Typical --seeing , remembering and accepting only what you want to see, remember or accept.
From your own link:
"A better knowledge of aviation issues among law enforcement officials may have produced a better result for Fleming. Griffin said she had to tell the officers on the scene to clear out the runway, and one officer talked about commandeering the airport.“He was running around, the one guy that was commandeering everything, saying,‘We were going to shoot him down,’” she said. "
Note also that the idiot officers, after demanding that Fleming land, had to be told to clear their vehicles off the runway so he could land. Again: THESE IDIOTS ARE OUT OF CONTROL
<quoted text>
And anyone is allowed to use force to deter a threat, not just law enforcement....

"Section 16-11-440.(A) A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself or another person when using deadly force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury to another person if the person:

(2) who uses deadly force knows or has reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act is occurring or has occurred."

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012...

In the case of the glider over a nuclear power plant, the glider pilot should be thankful they did not shoot him down.

Threat till proven otherwise.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Pat McCroy making a name for himself in higer education reform.Says he talks to Governor Walker everyday. The Thom Tillis puppet we all knew he could be.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Alan. I wouldn't have started my post off with "TSF and I are discussing neutrons and not to send Homeland Security to house tonight." I'm well aware they monitor the posts on here and that's why I put that on there. You kind of contradicted yourself reading the old riot act about not reading the terms of Topix, blah, blah, blah. Your freedom of speech goes as far as they allow it to, so it's really not freedom of speech.
Wrong Bcon. Ref. pg.1657, post #34331
"TSF, just this very night I have learned that Topix does monitor posting." This is clearly a contradiction of your second statement in the above post. So which is it, you just learned or you were well aware?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
"TSF, just this very night I have learned that Topix does monitor posting." This is clearly a contradiction of your second statement in the above post. So which is it, you just learned or you were well aware?
What is your point?

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
Been watching"Perry Mason"much?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
No contradiction Allen. I knew they monitored, but I didn't know to what extent. There's a lot of questionable things posted on here they let go by and well, I learned they do monitor "certain" things. Stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
No contradiction Allen. I knew they monitored, but I didn't know to what extent. There's a lot of questionable things posted on here they let go by and well, I learned they do monitor "certain" things. Stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Do you think profanity and racial comments are monitored? If so, Gail would be serving a life sentence in the Topix prison system.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
And anyone is allowed to use force to deter a threat, not just law enforcement....
"Section 16-11-440.(A) A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself or another person when using deadly force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury to another person if the person:
(2) who uses deadly force knows or has reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act is occurring or has occurred."
In the case of the glider over a nuclear power plant, the glider pilot should be thankful they did not shoot him down.
Silver wants the application of laws he likes. Civil Rights laws on the book are OK to disobey because he does not agree with them. Cherry picking law enforcerment advocate.
Allen

Penrose, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Been watching"Perry Mason"much?
Ref. pg.#1662, post #34436.

Evidently your are not finding it difficult to engage in discourse, being that I am not signed in. Was it not you Waco who stated that you would leave me out of your posts?

What's your point?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>
Proud of my heritage...slave owners and all.
I am not surprised at all. Kind of makes the word "pride" meaningless.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Kerry wrote:
Can anyone tell me there thoughts on Sec of State Kerry? There's no one available for intelligent conversations. It's pretty much slim on this forum. I do like reading you all's posts'.
I think he has the experience needed for the job and is a great pick. Of course the right wing hates him as he opposed Bush, their fearless leader.
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

"Like you TSF, I can cherry pick to make my case too. "
No need to have made that second post, you proved the above statement with the first post.

OK . Just go outside and start shooting at aircraft that "threaten you". You will not get the opportunity to move out of the country.
Silvercoastcorks wrote:
<quoted text>

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
I really doubt you called him out. If you did, it was a very rare occasion. I don't miss much, and I doubt I missed that. That would have been memorable. Silver is a consistant "potty mouth" bigot who has your approval. Of course it is none of my business when you leave. I just wanted to celebrate one more Republican vote leaving the US. Now, if only more Tea Partiers had the same conviction to leave, we could live without political stalmate. Leave the moderate Republicans here. Some actually have some sense about them.
Bacon said the other day,she can deal with his foul language as long as he does not use the "C" word. Far from chastising him. It was damn near a thumbs up.

I repeated a foul phrase he used against me in my response to him and put it in quotes so as to make it clear who's language I was using. I used it three or four times to make it clear. Next thing you know, Waco says I have tourettes.

I do occasionally use foul language, but try to limit it for impact. When things are getting really stupid here, I pull it out to let people know things are getting out of hand.

Their is a time and place for it IMO.
TSF

Dunn, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Agree. Don't drink and drive. Drunk drivers kill more people each year than those using guns. It will ruin your life as well as the lives of others.
Pro-American wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, I'm not a "drinker", all I ask is please don't drive if you've had to much!!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Arnold-Ziffel wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he is a worthless $+ithead. Is that clear enough?
Appropriate time and place for it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> The moral behind the story is simple.A million ants vs. one crotch is a very one sided battle.
The study of ants can tell you a lot about teamwork and instincts.
Of course republicans will dismiss this as some liberal indoctrination.
This is just another reason republicans dismiss science on a regular basis.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Elkin Discussions

Search the Elkin Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jonesville Music Thread Jul 21 Musikologist 3
Review: Revival Pain Management (May '13) Jul 18 Mike C 8
hot guy looking 4 fun (Dec '12) Mar '14 Really 5
How clean is your water in Elkin? Mar '14 PBryant 1
starmount memorial painted (Sep '13) Dec '13 Bucking elks 4
Jonesville begins ABC store discussions (Dec '13) Dec '13 Wow 1
Surry County Murder / May, 1996 (Dec '05) Nov '13 todd 7
•••
•••