Wisconsin Teachers Angry Over Bill Curbing Unions

Feb 17, 2011 Full story: WBBM-AM Chicago 16

A showdown in underway in Wisconsin, as the state Legislature is expected to vote on a bill to strip government workers of nearly all their collective bargaining rights as a way to save the state money.

Read more
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

#2 Feb 18, 2011
Gov. Scott Walker - LIAR IN CHIEF!

In Walker's first month in office he's pushed a number of tax cuts that actually made the state's ongoing budget problem worse.

The Fiscal Bureau (Wisonsin’s version equivalent of the Congressional budget office) predicted the state will collect about $190 million less in taxes over the next two years than previously thought, with $117 million of that coming from Walker's tax cuts." Prior to the start of his term, that same office was projecting a budget surplus.

Teachers are right to be angry over this union busting bill! If this was truly about a state fiscal budget matter and soaring pension and medical costs, then why is something like eliminating collective bargaining in Gov. Walker's union busting legislative bill? Because the GOP is trying to undercut Union support of Democrats. The Teachers & SEIU unions in particular are two of the three top 10 remaining, democrat supporting, organizations that spend big money on elections. The GOP plan is simple. Destroy the unions and then they can use their corporate funded PACs to buy elections.

signatures are being collected! Read the details about the process here:

http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publica...

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 18, 2011
Yes! Bust up these International Union interests in American politics. They have taken over one of our government buildings. BUST THEM UP.
Kevlar

Bevier, MO

#4 Feb 18, 2011
Liberal Patriot wrote:
Gov. Scott Walker - LIAR IN CHIEF!
In Walker's first month in office he's pushed a number of tax cuts that actually made the state's ongoing budget problem worse.
The Fiscal Bureau (Wisonsin’s version equivalent of the Congressional budget office) predicted the state will collect about $190 million less in taxes over the next two years than previously thought, with $117 million of that coming from Walker's tax cuts." Prior to the start of his term, that same office was projecting a budget surplus.
Teachers are right to be angry over this union busting bill! If this was truly about a state fiscal budget matter and soaring pension and medical costs, then why is something like eliminating collective bargaining in Gov. Walker's union busting legislative bill? Because the GOP is trying to undercut Union support of Democrats. The Teachers & SEIU unions in particular are two of the three top 10 remaining, democrat supporting, organizations that spend big money on elections. The GOP plan is simple. Destroy the unions and then they can use their corporate funded PACs to buy elections.
signatures are being collected! Read the details about the process here:
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publica...
They can be angry, just don't expect sympathy or support from the majority.
Old Fogy

Miami, FL

#5 Feb 18, 2011
The minute I saw these teachers and whomever they brought with them posting signs of Hitler and comparing him to the Governor, who is only trying to stop the bleeding, THOSE PROTESTERS LOST ANY STANDING !!!!!!!!!! FIRE THEM ALL, for whatever reason, find a reason, FIRE THEM !!!!!!! I know of thousands of people that would gladly move to Wisconsin for these jobs, at the drop of a hat !!!!!

Since: Jan 11

Lake Geneva, WI

#7 Feb 18, 2011
Liberal Patriot wrote:
Gov. Scott Walker - LIAR IN CHIEF!
In Walker's first month in office he's pushed a number of tax cuts that actually made the state's ongoing budget problem worse.
The Fiscal Bureau (Wisonsin’s version equivalent of the Congressional budget office) predicted the state will collect about $190 million less in taxes over the next two years than previously thought, with $117 million of that coming from Walker's tax cuts." Prior to the start of his term, that same office was projecting a budget surplus.
Teachers are right to be angry over this union busting bill! If this was truly about a state fiscal budget matter and soaring pension and medical costs, then why is something like eliminating collective bargaining in Gov. Walker's union busting legislative bill? Because the GOP is trying to undercut Union support of Democrats. The Teachers & SEIU unions in particular are two of the three top 10 remaining, democrat supporting, organizations that spend big money on elections. The GOP plan is simple. Destroy the unions and then they can use their corporate funded PACs to buy elections.
signatures are being collected! Read the details about the process here:
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publica...
Your name should be Liberal Idiot. We the people decided that we've had enough of the screw job the teachers and their union have given us for years. We've finally woken up and realized that we need to take the reigns and control spending. The teachers and their outrageous salaries and benefits are a good place to start. If we happen to break the unions in the process, consider it a bonus....
Phish

Milwaukee, WI

#8 Feb 18, 2011
The establishment of a state budget is required by the Wisconsin
Constitution. Article VIII, Section 2 of the Wisconsin Constitution
provides that:“No money shall be paid out of the treasury except
in pursuance of an appropriation by law.” Section 5 of Article VIII is
the so-called “balanced budget requirement.” Section 5 of Article
VIII states that:
The legislature shall provide for an annual tax
sufficient to defray the estimated expenses of
the state for each year; and whenever the expenses
of any year shall exceed the income, the
legislature shall provide for levying a tax for the
ensuing year, sufficient, with other sources of income,
to pay the deficiency as well as the
estimated expenses of such ensuing year.
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

#9 Feb 18, 2011
In an interview with CBS this morning, why didn’t the correspondent ask Walker why he started out his term with a Budget surplus? Why is Gov. Walker's budget in debt now? Gov. Walker has pushed through many business tax credits! Could this have something to do with the state’s budget crisis now? Why is Gov. Walker raiding state pensions to make up for his mistake? Is it a coincidence that only certain unions, like the teachers and municipal worker unions, are being targeted by the GOP? Something smells fishy here…

8 GOP State Senators In Wisconsin Can Be Recalled Right Now; Gov. Walker Can Be Recalled In January

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/18/wisconsin...

http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publica...
Kevlar

Bevier, MO

#10 Feb 19, 2011
Liberal Patriot wrote:
In an interview with CBS this morning, why didn’t the correspondent ask Walker why he started out his term with a Budget surplus? Why is Gov. Walker's budget in debt now? Gov. Walker has pushed through many business tax credits! Could this have something to do with the state’s budget crisis now? Why is Gov. Walker raiding state pensions to make up for his mistake? Is it a coincidence that only certain unions, like the teachers and municipal worker unions, are being targeted by the GOP? Something smells fishy here…
8 GOP State Senators In Wisconsin Can Be Recalled Right Now; Gov. Walker Can Be Recalled In January
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/18/wisconsin...
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publica...
Simple, because Gov Doyle left a 2 billion dollar deficit.

No surplus.

Phish

Milwaukee, WI

#13 Feb 21, 2011
Liberal Patriot wrote:
In an interview with CBS this morning, why didn’t the correspondent ask Walker why he started out his term with a Budget surplus? Why is Gov. Walker's budget in debt now? Gov. Walker has pushed through many business tax credits! Could this have something to do with the state’s budget crisis now? Why is Gov. Walker raiding state pensions to make up for his mistake? Is it a coincidence that only certain unions, like the teachers and municipal worker unions, are being targeted by the GOP? Something smells fishy here…
8 GOP State Senators In Wisconsin Can Be Recalled Right Now; Gov. Walker Can Be Recalled In January
http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/18/wisconsin...
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/publica...

/65/recall_manual_for_congress iona_county_and_state__82919.p df
Surplus! You really need to stop listening to the unions? This state is on the verge of bankruptcy and the unions don't care.All they care about is ensuring closed shop so the teachers have to pay them dues, and that they have to buy insurance from the union. The union is playing the teachers like a fiddle and the kids are suffering for it. The teachers need to wake up!
Mister Wu

Escalon, CA

#14 Mar 11, 2011
Old Fogy wrote:
The minute I saw these teachers and whomever they brought with them posting signs of Hitler and comparing him to the Governor, who is only trying to stop the bleeding, THOSE PROTESTERS LOST ANY STANDING !!!!!!!!!! FIRE THEM ALL, for whatever reason, find a reason, FIRE THEM !!!!!!! I know of thousands of people that would gladly move to Wisconsin for these jobs, at the drop of a hat !!!!!
Hilter save the economy and fired the unions too, and was first democratically elected and ideologically driven.
Mister Wu

Escalon, CA

#15 Mar 11, 2011
BHM5267 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your name should be Liberal Idiot. We the people decided that we've had enough of the screw job the teachers and their union have given us for years. We've finally woken up and realized that we need to take the reigns and control spending. The teachers and their outrageous salaries and benefits are a good place to start. If we happen to break the unions in the process, consider it a bonus....
Starting income for Wisconsin teacher ~$32k.
Median household income in Wisconson ~$52K

If you plan to apply be sure to have your college degree and teaching credential under your belt.

Since: Jan 11

Lake Geneva, WI

#16 Mar 11, 2011
Mister Wu wrote:
<quoted text>
Starting income for Wisconsin teacher ~$32k.
Median household income in Wisconson ~$52K
If you plan to apply be sure to have your college degree and teaching credential under your belt.
Notice you used "income". Once you factor in the benefits the state provides, that number quickly becomes much higher. Not bad considering if you need to figure in the amount of time spent at work. The average private sector person (we'll be generous) works 242 days a year (minus 2 weeks vacation and 8 holidays). The average teacher works about 180 (not including all those conference days, seminars, spring break, Christmas break). If you do the simple math, it's not a bad salary. Another point, don't give me that lame excuse about them needing to "further their education". There are PLENTY of careers that require one to sharpen or advance their skills, but they don't get 3 months in the summer to do it.....
Joe Raven

Patchogue, NY

#17 Mar 11, 2011
Old Fogy wrote:
The minute I saw these teachers and whomever they brought with them posting signs of Hitler and comparing him to the Governor, who is only trying to stop the bleeding, THOSE PROTESTERS LOST ANY STANDING !!!!!!!!!! FIRE THEM ALL, for whatever reason, find a reason, FIRE THEM !!!!!!! I know of thousands of people that would gladly move to Wisconsin for these jobs, at the drop of a hat !!!!!
You have it all wrong the bleeding is just beginning to start.
Joe Raven

Patchogue, NY

#18 Mar 11, 2011
theEquation wrote:
Yes! Bust up these International Union interests in American politics. They have taken over one of our government buildings. BUST THEM UP.
If this country manages to crush the unions you could say goobye to the middle class.When big business in an imaginary world pulls this off 70% of the population will be making $7 an hour along with the south american exploitable labor they sponsor into this country every day.Unions keep the big boys in check because if given the opportunity worker exploitation will be common practice. The unions will go on. Scott Walker signed a bill that will soon end his political career. Sorry

Since: Jan 09

Bevier, MO

#19 Mar 11, 2011
Joe Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
If this country manages to crush the unions you could say goobye to the middle class.When big business in an imaginary world pulls this off 70% of the population will be making $7 an hour along with the south american exploitable labor they sponsor into this country every day.Unions keep the big boys in check because if given the opportunity worker exploitation will be common practice. The unions will go on. Scott Walker signed a bill that will soon end his political career. Sorry
Spare us your drivel.

Unions are relics that desperately need to be eliminated for the good of the country.

Since: Jan 11

Lake Geneva, WI

#20 Mar 12, 2011
Joe Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
If this country manages to crush the unions you could say goobye to the middle class.When big business in an imaginary world pulls this off 70% of the population will be making $7 an hour along with the south american exploitable labor they sponsor into this country every day.Unions keep the big boys in check because if given the opportunity worker exploitation will be common practice. The unions will go on. Scott Walker signed a bill that will soon end his political career. Sorry
Let's see, if you look at a map showing right to work states vs. forced unionism states, you'll notice something. Which states are currently having the largest fiscal crises? That would be California, New York, Illinois, etc. What do these states all have in common? All are forced union states with no power to reign in or control those unions. While most states are having fiscal issues, those who are right to work states are in the best positions to come out of them without having to raise taxes through the roof. So tell me, how are huge increases in taxes beneficial to the middle class?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkhorn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homicide charges filed in fatal accident Mar 23 ostrandernicole38 1
wisconsin werewolf sightings...hard to believe! (May '11) Mar 19 IMSpartacus 66
Walworth Co. Wants nothing but crack houses & p... Mar 1 jalop 3
News Delavan man gets 90 days in child porn case (Sep '11) Jan '15 Ross 4
News For the record: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's i... Jan '15 Walkersha 1
New Information: Walker draws contrast with fed... Jan '15 etccj 1
Gage Marine sets seasonal hours Dec '14 Disgusted 1
Elkhorn Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Elkhorn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]