Wheel Tax Battle

Wheel Tax Battle

There are 25 comments on the WOWT-TV Omaha story from Oct 24, 2006, titled Wheel Tax Battle. In it, WOWT-TV Omaha reports that:

City considers expansion of tax Some city councilmen say expanding Omaha's wheel tax would generate $2.5 million needed for street projects.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOWT-TV Omaha.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dakstoo

Omaha, NE

#21 Jul 25, 2007
Overtaxed, Overtaxed, Overtaxed, Where can I o to escape the taxes. I too live outside of the city limits but within the 3 mile zone. I also have to pay the gestapo(NHS) for my cats that don't leave the house. I sure wished that I could vote Mayor Fakey out of office. At least I can say that I didn't vote for him.
Annie Roberts

United States

#22 Jul 27, 2007
Be it the wheel tax or an employment tax, if Omaha/Douglas county wants to impose it on the people outside the Omaha city limits then they need to give us representation on the city council so we have a say as to how this money is spent. I'm sure it's to line someone's pockets rather than road repair - or as we call it here in the County: the road construction workers job for life. And while we're at it perhaps the people of Omaha would like to pay an extra tax of some sort when they shop or drive through Sarpy county. This arguement has been going on for years. Most employers will not collect the employment tax from their employees because it creates ill will. And the wheel tax can easily be turned around and imposed on residents of Douglas county for them driving on our roads. On any given weekend there are many people from Omaha who drive our roads down here. So you can make a case there about them wearing out our roads.Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we charged them. But let's face it, we all pay too much in taxes. We should just tell all government we can't afford any more money out of the paycheck for them to screw around with.
Tax representation

Omaha, NE

#23 Jul 28, 2007
Annie Roberts wrote:
Be it the wheel tax or an employment tax, if Omaha/Douglas county wants to impose it on the people outside the Omaha city limits then they need to give us representation on the city council so we have a say as to how this money is spent.
With that logic then anyplace I go that charges me a tax then I should have representation of the controling council or governing body. Does that mean cities and states where I don't live, but I do visit have to stop charging me tax since they haven't given me representation so I have a say as to how the money is spent? Or I can't stay in a hotel in another city because they charged me a tax and I didn't have representation on that council so I don't have a say in how my taxes were spent?

On the wheel tax I 100% agree with you.
On the employment tax I generally agree with you and I concur that employers should be the ones rising up as well.
I'm just not sure I followed your logic to its full conclusion.
bill

Omaha, NE

#24 Aug 12, 2007
So if a person worked in omaha more then 30 days year but lived out of state they could pay the wheel tax to be able to keep from being harassed by police
TIMOTHY

Council Bluffs, IA

#25 Oct 16, 2010
BOYCOTT AS much as possible advocate for a better Omaha by giving to other communities

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkhorn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stolen German Shepherd Puppies Mar '18 NFLGAL 1
News Gale Sayers charity golf tournament today in El... (May '08) Feb '18 John Gold 2
News Super Bowl ad for Ram truck using MLK speech dr... Feb '18 rowdy pan 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Jan '18 Osteo 55
Review: B D Gossman Construction L.L.C (Oct '13) Dec '17 Anonymous 2
News A kinder, gentler Ted Nugent comes to Britt ...... (Jul '11) Apr '17 USS LIBERTY 4
News She knows about aches, pains (Nov '07) Jun '16 Fan 5

Elkhorn Jobs

Personal Finance

Elkhorn Mortgages