Wheel Tax Battle

Full story: WOWT-TV Omaha 25
City considers expansion of tax Some city councilmen say expanding Omaha's wheel tax would generate $2.5 million needed for street projects. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fed UP

Council Bluffs, IA

#1 Jan 5, 2007
I'm not within the City Limits. Where do they get off making a decision without us having the right to vote or to vote for the elected officials(idiots) who tax people who are not within their districts. Another example of the government taxing the HELL out of us. This is because the government has to much damn power. I think its time for me to move elsewhere!!!!! One other item of interest- When in the hell will citizens become smart enough to stop this? It's because their just as stupid as the officials who make these laws.
nebraska is not worth it!!!!!!
Pat

Omaha, NE

#2 Jan 6, 2007
I live within the city limits and I think this is just wrong. But as you can tell from the lack of comments, NOBODY CARES! I posted a comment back in September about this. Taxation without Representation. No comments there either. And if I remember correctly, hardly anyone showed up at the city council meeting when this was discussed. There were a few people, but not enough to concern the council members. I wish there was something we could do, but...
paul

Omaha, NE

#3 Jan 10, 2007
HELLO~
My nsame is paul, I am from illinois and just moved to omaha a few months ago. I have been slowly trying to learn about the politics around here. I notice that the city council meetings are televised and no one really ever show up to these meetings, which happen to be open to the public. I do know many people in omaha, but I would love to get together with a group of people such as the two people who posted previously, and show up to attend these meetings and represent john q public. Now I am only 24, 25 in a couple months. My point is that I would like to get involved and atleast try to sway things in the interest of the public. Is there anyone who might be interested in starting a movement to stand up for our rights as citizens. please let me know. I can be reached at lpauldixon@yahoo.com thanks.
hostage

Omaha, NE

#4 Jan 11, 2007
As a non-resident, perhaps sometime down the road you might have to pay Omaha city's wheel tax. But I'll just bet that you won't be fired from your job if you don't pay.

But that is exactly what options non-resident City Employees have - pay up or lose your job!!!! Held hostage by the wheel tax!!! For many years now. Even though you might live right across the county line and drive one mile into the City to work for them - pay up or lose your job!!!!

I think that either all non-resident employees of all employers in the city should pay or no-one pays. What makes the City of Omaha different from any other employer? Lord knows if the City of Omaha can figure out a way to deduct that from your paycheck then any other employer can also. They shouldn't be allowed to force this hostage tax on their own employees without also holding other employers accountable!!!
paul

Omaha, NE

#5 Jan 11, 2007
This,yet, is another reason why we should get together as a group and attend the city council meetings and throw the voice of public opinion into the ring.
rick

AOL

#6 Jan 25, 2007
No one objects or comments because they haven't received their auto registrations renewals yet.
when people start looking at the registrations in the coming months. perhaps they will wake up and object. Omaha is the reason, I live in Sarpy county
paul

Omaha, NE

#7 Jan 26, 2007
Well I guess what I do not understand is that I have made offers to alot of people that have their own opinion about how things should be, many people I talk to make a lot of sense, but everyone who thinks they have a better idea has turned down an offer to attend a city council meeting. My response to that is if you are not going to make any effort what so ever to be heard and make an impact, then really you are fine with the way things are.
Terri

Gretna, NE

#8 Jan 26, 2007
My husband and I live 2.9 miles outside the city limits. He works in Valley and I work in Sarpy county. Neither of us travel on city streets to get to work. The only time we drive in Omaha is to spend money at stores or restaurants. The city of Omaha has come up with an exemption form for the wheel tax. An exemption is granted if you do not drive the vehicle on Omaha streets more than 30 times per year. We could make this happen by taking our business to Elkhorn, Fremont, and Gretna. Is that what Omaha wants?
hostage

Omaha, NE

#9 Jan 29, 2007
Come on down! The Citizens of Bellevue welcome your business, and we won't even put up the toll gates...
Erika

Papillion, NE

#10 Feb 22, 2007
We just went and registered our car today, and I really had no idea of this change until now. I was really irritated! Are they going to begin providing trash service for those of us who are not yet annexed by the city?
Stomping Mad

Omaha, NE

#11 Mar 6, 2007
Is this not TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.

How about a class action lawsuit?
Jacque Page

Omaha, NE

#12 Apr 2, 2007
How does one begin the process of a bringing this to court?
Larry S

Omaha, NE

#13 Apr 15, 2007
Tax Day our favorite day of the year. Anyway, Taxation not good as far as what's going on. I want to let people know that I was referred to this company that pays part/full time job opportunities and you do not have to pay taxes down the road and not have to worry about this issue of taxation as long as 'you' spread the word. Please respond.
Kathy K

Omaha, NE

#14 Jul 23, 2007
I live outside Elkhorn and just now got my statement that included the Wheel Tax. I knew about wheel tax when I lived in Omaha and thought it was ridiculous to pay a wheel tax on top of already inflated taxes that I began paying when I moved from Iowa over across the Nebraska state line. Paying taxes is one thing but being gouged to death is another. When I received the information I called the DVM department. They transferred me to the Mayor's hot line who transferred me to the Finance department who then transferred me back to the Mayor's hotline. I was basically told go ahead and try and fight it if you think you can find a lawyer who will take it on and if you can find a judge that will over rule it. I thought that is a very weird statement. How corrupt is the judicial system within Omaha when people are making rules for you and you have no representation on the city council or cannot even vote for the Mayor (who I would not vote for because I think he is a greedy opportunist). We have no vote or representation in the city of Omaha, BUT are having people create laws for us. Why are not then are they doing this to the state of IOWA. Oh because they can't. Because they are in a different state and are not represented in the city of Omaha. That is what I was told. Then what gives the the council members and the Mayor the right to pass these laws on me. I was told that was different. No it is not! Wrong is wrong. Where are my civil rights. I cannot be heard in any city elections. Why should I give you my money? And the irony of the whole thing is that wheel tax is not used on the street I live on. How is that for IRONY?! Is there a lawyer out there who will take on this fight? And I don't think it should be fought in Omaha. I don't think we will get a fair hearing. Just like I don't believe the City of Elkhorn got a fair hearing when the annexation fight was placed within Omaha. We never had a chance of succeeding because of the venue in which it was heard.
Sarpy

Omaha, NE

#15 Jul 23, 2007
Move across the county line. The paper said the other day that Papillion was named one of the best places to live in the US by Money Magazine. The article in Money actually said that the Papillion taxes were the lowest of any other city in the metro area.
Kathy K

Omaha, NE

#16 Jul 23, 2007
Remember Terri you now have to take your business further than Elkhorn because Elkhorn is still considered Omaha now which totally sucks. We did not want to become part of Omaha.
Kathy K

Omaha, NE

#17 Jul 23, 2007
I Don't believe that. When were WE told that now we are going to have to start paying wheel tax when we live outside of Omaha city limits. I live outside Elkhorn but I guess not far enough because now I am saddled with the wheel tax. Are they going to bring this up again in any meeting anytime soon. And I don't even have a representative on the council to get it on the table to be addressed. And if it is any indication on how I was treated from the Mayor's hot line they consider a done deal and do not have to discuss it any further.
Kathy K

Omaha, NE

#18 Jul 23, 2007
Sarpy person - did you read where they want to move the wheel tax to tax you as well.
DALE INBRED SENIOR

Omaha, NE

#19 Jul 23, 2007
IM FROM PLATTCILTUCKY AND I MARRIED MY COUSIN FROM UNION HEE HEE
Sarpy

Omaha, NE

#20 Jul 23, 2007
Kathy K wrote:
Sarpy person - did you read where they want to move the wheel tax to tax you as well.
There is no way Omaha can tax across a County line. The only way they got outside of Omaha is because it was still in their legal zoning jurisdiction, which only exists in Douglas county. State law would have to change to let them go outside that area.

What I think you are refering to is an employment tax for anyone working in Omaha, no matter where you live. In that case, you are going to Omaha and incurring the tax, they are not coming to you in another county.

I still don't like that tax, but its a little more understandable then the wheel tax outside of the city but inside their zoning control area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkhorn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kids learn to be 'Mad About Money' (Nov '10) Feb 3 Kingdom 8
cubbys evening clerk (Dec '13) Dec '13 curious gent 1
Trophy Board: Amy Pokorny (Apr '08) Dec '11 jerome 4
Debate: Iowa GOP Debate - Elkhorn, NE (Aug '11) Aug '11 Joe P. 3
Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Feb '11 Obbop 10
Lynn Aldridge - Parent of JR H Boy (Mar '09) Jan '11 a friend 3
Polka Joe and RFDTV (Jan '11) Jan '11 POLKA NUT 1
Elkhorn Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web