SEWAGE SEEPAGE: Elkhart homes flooded with sewage and homeowners wa...

Sep 8, 2010 Read more: WHOtv 16
It's a big problem in a small town. Residents in a newer development in Elkhart say every time there's heavy rain their basements fill up with water and raw sewage. Read more
Bob

Urbandale, IA

#1 Sep 8, 2010
if i were on the city council, i'd tell her to build a poop deck, to live on when that happens
Elkhart Citizen

Des Moines, IA

#3 Sep 8, 2010
I have lived in Elkhart for the last 5 years right down the street from the Miller's and have never had any problems with flooding in my basement or sewage coming into my basement. If I were her I would talk with the builder and make sure they didn't hook something up wrong. I feel terrible for the family and hope that they get some answers soon.
Bob

Urbandale, IA

#4 Sep 8, 2010
and how do we know it's not her crap?
COW PIE or cow dung

Des Moines, IA

#5 Sep 8, 2010
I have never had this problem, as I think I live just down the street from her.
I talked to one of the council members that was to show up at the last meeting, and he told me someone is flushing tampex and condoms down their toilet, not realizing they are creating problems for others.
If only this could stop, maybe they will no longer have a problem.
concerned

Elkhart, IA

#6 Sep 8, 2010
I also live up the street from the Miller's and have never had sewer back up in my basement until in August. From what I have found out everyone in the new developement who is hooked up to the old part of town's sewer backed up at that time. It was not pleasant at 1:30 am to see a turd floating in your basement
Concerned

San Francisco, CA

#7 Sep 8, 2010
I feel terrible for the Miller's. Just because others people's homes didn't get it doesn't mean it wont happen to them. It sound like it was the first for some and not to be the last! The City obviosly has issues since she isn't the only one.
Dan

Urbandale, IA

#8 Sep 8, 2010
concerned wrote:
I also live up the street from the Miller's and have never had sewer back up in my basement until in August. From what I have found out everyone in the new developement who is hooked up to the old part of town's sewer backed up at that time. It was not pleasant at 1:30 am to see a turd floating in your basement
when life hands you turds, make turd soup
Yessir

San Francisco, CA

#9 Sep 8, 2010
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
when life hands you turds, make turd soup
Please! Turd soup is only served in the afternoon, not at 1:30am!
COW PIE or cow dung

Des Moines, IA

#10 Sep 8, 2010
concerned wrote:
I just found out you are the one flushing the condoms doing the stool.
They are going to start digging at the end of your driveway, at the elbow, yet this afternoon.
I will keep everyone posted as the work is in progress !!
Des Moines Resident

San Francisco, CA

#11 Sep 8, 2010
Ever driven though the streets of Beaverdale in the spring? 2 out of 3 homes have pumps going out to the street to get the water out of the basements. This year it dragged on into the summer months due to the record amount of rainfall. Backed up basements is just one of the novelties of living in an older neighborhood and one of the joys of homeownership.
smelly

Elkhart, IA

#13 Sep 8, 2010
Bob wrote:
and how do we know it's not her crap?
Because hers dont stink!

Either which way...its a crappy situation (bah zing) but there only a few with this concern....I'm thinking its the builders fault.....judging by the quality of the house that that biulder put up.
Civil Answers

Des Moines, IA

#14 Sep 8, 2010
The first defense that folks with this sewage backup problem need to do is have a check valve installed in their basement sewer line. The new housing development may simply be contributing too much flow for the older, pre-existing system that it's connected into. Houses at or near the low points in the sewer system will tend to experience the backups. The city needs to check the sewer main to see that it is adequate and functioning properly, but costs for any needed system improvements means the problem can take longer to solve than a homeowner wants to hear -- thus the need for installing their own check valves. All homeowners need to make sure their basement sump pumps are NOT draining to their sanitary sewers and contributing to the overload.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#15 Sep 9, 2010
To add to Civil Answers accurate information:
Check or back-flow valves should be installed away from your house but on your main sewer line. Most houses have a Fernco rubber seal which attaches your home sewer line to the line running to the sanitary sewer. Installing the valve behind the fernco will result in line pressure blowing the seal apart. This will result is digging next to your foundation to repair the seal. Sewer back-up will start at the floor drains in your basement. Installing floor drain plugs may help temporarily until a back-flow valve can be properly installed. The cause of sewer back-up is infiltration, unless the builder installed the sewer line in your home too low.
H2O and Poop in Basement

Milton, FL

#16 Sep 13, 2010
I think I would have to go with the builder/developer of that newer neighborhood!!!! We had the same developer here in Bondurant and funny thing.....uuummmm we got sewage and water in our basements!! yes there was a storm and and yes LOTS of water & no where for it to go but.... my neighbor just had sewage and water on friday afternoon'ish and it hadn't even rained yet??? What the hell is going on?? I'm thinking there's a problem here! We have 2 things in common:(1) the same builder and(2)sewer and water coming up our pipes.(He's running for Polk County Treasurer) Scarry!!!
H2O and Poop in Basement

Milton, FL

#17 Sep 15, 2010
BLENDER wrote:
To add to Civil Answers accurate information:
Check or back-flow valves should be installed away from your house but on your main sewer line. Most houses have a Fernco rubber seal which attaches your home sewer line to the line running to the sanitary sewer. Installing the valve behind the fernco will result in line pressure blowing the seal apart. This will result is digging next to your foundation to repair the seal. Sewer back-up will start at the floor drains in your basement. Installing floor drain plugs may help temporarily until a back-flow valve can be properly installed. The cause of sewer back-up is infiltration, unless the builder installed the sewer line in your home too low.
OK SO IF WE HAVE A BACK FLOW PUT IN WHERE IS IT THAT I WANT IT PUT IN AT?? IN MY MAIN SEWER LINE GOING OUT TO THE STREET INSIDE THE HOUSE OR OUTSIDE IN MY YARD??

Since: Sep 10

United States

#18 Sep 15, 2010
H2O and Poop in Basement wrote:
<quoted text>
OK SO IF WE HAVE A BACK FLOW PUT IN WHERE IS IT THAT I WANT IT PUT IN AT?? IN MY MAIN SEWER LINE GOING OUT TO THE STREET INSIDE THE HOUSE OR OUTSIDE IN MY YARD??
In your yard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkhart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Fletcher Estates Apartment Homes (Apr '14) Dec '14 annoyed 4
meth addict rehired days later at ankeny salv... (Jun '12) Nov '14 jackjeckel 3
Any Pizza Hut employees in Ankeny who have had ... (Mar '13) Nov '14 jackjeckel 2
News DM businessman Ed Boesen dies after suicide att... (Jul '08) Nov '14 Yep 29
Free Fine Art Textile Show in Ankeny! (Jul '14) Jul '14 AnkenyArtCenter 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Iowa (Dist... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Necron 99 10
News WHOtv.com Contests & Giveaway Winners (Aug '10) Aug '10 Rod Jaschke 2
More from around the web

Elkhart People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]