Farm Owners Object To Losing Land For...

Farm Owners Object To Losing Land For Rest Stops

There are 16 comments on the WHOtv story from Jul 21, 2010, titled Farm Owners Object To Losing Land For Rest Stops. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Farmland owners in central Iowa are objecting to the idea of losing land for a pair of proposed rest areas on Highway 35.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

Sue

United States

#1 Jul 21, 2010
To spend that much money on a spot to take a wizz is just ridiculous! Too many hungry people in Iowa alone to even think about spending that kind of money.
Leave these people and their land alone!!
Sue

United States

#2 Jul 21, 2010
I live in Iowa not Birmingham Al!!
In fact I live in the North Polk area
Mary Hayes

Des Moines, IA

#3 Jul 21, 2010
What is our government thinking or are they. What in the world do we need 14 million dollar rest stops for, they are just a place releave your self if you need too. That's like building a house with 5 bathrooms when their are only 2 of you.
Tim

West Des Moines, IA

#4 Jul 21, 2010
the problem is, there are already rest stops about 3 miles north of ames

why cant they combine rest stops with the new interchange? are they telling me there will be no convinience stores or gas stations near it? why not a rest stop also?
E Z answers

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 21, 2010
for real? how long does it take to get from ankeny to ames? 20 - 30 min? the only people I know that cant hold their pee that long are babies and old people... and they shouldnt be driving anyways.
WTF

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jul 21, 2010
Are you $hitting me? 14million dollars for a rest stop?? when there is 140 gas stations within 50 miles of that area...who's dumb idea was this?
Ron

United States

#7 Jul 21, 2010
I am not a fan of Eminent Domain. I also disagree with wreckless spending by our elected and appointed officials. On the flip side of this coin I will say if you drive past the rest areas north of this area you will see them completely full of weary travelers during the night hours.They are not just used for restroom breaks. Furthermore, the farmers who own the land have likely been recieving subsidy payments from tax payers for years. In the long run, the 14 million might cost us less.
Crystal Arthur

Roseland, NJ

#8 Jul 21, 2010
i can not believe they wont to speak 14 million on two stupid rest stops when they cant even afford to rebuild the levy's in Birdland or even repave our roads in town that desperately need it. No wonder Gov Culver is in trouble for over spending, this is a perfect example
Becky

Ogden, IA

#9 Jul 21, 2010
Iowa Farmers need to take the $$$$$ & run!
SteveDSMIA

AOL

#10 Jul 21, 2010
Crazy to spend all this money,when the cities infrasture is in so bad shape, levies,sewer, water, etc
Besides why not build a combo rest area in the median like state of Oklahoma for both directions of travel
Ron

United States

#12 Jul 22, 2010
SteveDSMIA wrote:
Crazy to spend all this money,when the cities infrasture is in so bad shape, levies,sewer, water, etc
Besides why not build a combo rest area in the median like state of Oklahoma for both directions of travel
The City of Des Moines wouldn't be paying for this project. This should be paid for by the Federal and State tax you pay at the fuel pump. Iowa and the Federal Gov. have misused this road use tax for years.That's why our roads are in such bad shape. The combo rest area you mentioned are usually found on toll roads. They work great but require alot more land to build.
Chopswell

Ridgeway, IA

#13 Jul 22, 2010
First off, it is INTERSTATE 35, you DINK! And second...they are REPLACING two buildings. Ok..great. Why the extra land needed? Why tear the buildings down? They're solid as hell and all brick and block construction. Why not remodel them for a far significant lower cost? We're all having to cut back. It's this run away spending by the gov't. that has this country in the dumps! If you're going to spend $14 million, put that money into BRIDGES!!! Are they not the real urgency?

This gov't., can't go on spending like this. We all know over the decades, jobs like this are payoffs to large construction companies getting the over-priced contracts. It's b.s. and this kind of crap needs to change and sadly, getting BRAINDEAD back in office, double-dipping, isn't going to do a dam thing to help!
Ron

United States

#14 Jul 22, 2010
Hey Chopswell....
Didn't you read the story. They are closing these rest areas to put in an interchange so they will be torn down. The reply I made was to SteveDMSIA suggesting a shared rest area in the center median which does take more land, and more money. If road use tax dollars were used for that purpose our roads and bridges would be in alot better shape and this wouldn't be an issue.
Sue

United States

#15 Jul 22, 2010
Sue wrote:
I live in Iowa not Birmingham Al!!
In fact I live in the North Polk area
Correcting that I live near the area of the topic and some idiot rates me as clueless.......first of all, Can you read??? Or are you just here to judge?
Chopswell

Ridgeway, IA

#16 Jul 28, 2010
Ron wrote:
Hey Chopswell....
Didn't you read the story. They are closing these rest areas to put in an interchange so they will be torn down. The reply I made was to SteveDMSIA suggesting a shared rest area in the center median which does take more land, and more money. If road use tax dollars were used for that purpose our roads and bridges would be in alot better shape and this wouldn't be an issue.
Ok, let's take a couple highlights from the 1st and last paragraphs from the article: "Farmland owners in central Iowa are objecting to the idea of losing land for a pair of proposed rest areas on Highway 35.The two proposed rest areas would cost an estimated $14 million."

I'd say they're talking about building two new rest areas for $14 million. And as I zoom in on Google Earth to view the 2 rest areas on INTERSTATE 35 by Ankeny, I see farmland on the east and a golf course and neighborhood on the west. NE 110th to the north would be the possible exit, but that would still eat up a lot of the golf course, on both sides (n. and s.) of 110th ave. on the west side of the interstate. There doesn't need to be another exit there, that is, unless Denny Elwell and his cronies are screaming for one so they can cash out on more development acres.
Henry

West Des Moines, IA

#17 Jul 28, 2010
Becky wrote:
Iowa Farmers need to take the $$$$$ & run!
HI BECKY
I think your husband waived to me from a train engine at Ames
I WAIVED BACK !!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elkhart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeff Altmayer Apr '17 Angry mom 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Iowa (Dist... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Necron 99 10
News SEWAGE SEEPAGE: Elkhart homes flooded with sewa... (Sep '10) Sep '10 BLENDER 16
News WHOtv.com Contests & Giveaway Winners (Aug '10) Aug '10 Rod Jaschke 2
News Farmland owners in central Iowa object to losin... (Jul '10) Jul '10 jim 1
News WHOtv.com Contests & Giveaway Winners (Jul '10) Jul '10 linda elscott 1
News WHOtv.com Contests & Giveaway Winners (Jun '10) Jun '10 rose 2

Elkhart Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elkhart Mortgages