Elk River pastor charged

Elk River pastor charged

There are 1602 comments on the Star News - Home story from Jan 14, 2011, titled Elk River pastor charged. In it, Star News - Home reports that:

The Rev. William Neal Matthews, the pastor of Solid Rock Church and World Outreach Center, allegedly transferred money out of his mother-in-law's account while acting as the 94-year-old woman's power of attorney, according to a criminal complaint filed Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star News - Home.

Mindy

Elk River, MN

#1245 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know anything about what you are going thru but I will pray for peace and restoration. I know Dr. Powers did not disown his son and anyone who says that is a liar. The sad part is that people hear a rumor and spread it like the truth. I'm really not sure how criticizing these ministers will help.
Restoration will never happen with my family. My dad has made sure of that. I can tell you why "criticizing" these "pastors" will help. First, because it's not criticizing, it's telling our experiences in the hopes that we can help others, or, even better, save them from the experience entirely. Secondly, they are not pastors by biblical definition. They disobey the Word, twist it to line their own pockets, destroy more lives and families than they help. When politicians do something wrong, they are held to task by the people, and fellow politicians. Biblically, that's what should happen with pastors, but instead, the opposite happens. So, when these so called pastors teach people to never speak against them, or when you say people should not "criticize", all that does is allow them to continue in their indiscretion.
old timer

United States

#1246 Aug 22, 2012
Mindy,
I'm so sorry for what you and your siblings have been through. Your father has no true love in his heart, and that leaves no space for relationship. You are not alone though. My grown do not have a relationship with their father (my ex-husband) either. He confesses that he loves "his God," but it is all about him. He is completely focused on himself and his needs, and God is like a drug to him to make him feel good. My ex-husband and Bill were best friends when they were young men, and they both have always been spoiled self-centered brats. It's terrible being in a family with someone like that. You are always made to feel that you are the one at fault because they are incapable of admitting that they have flaws or make mistakes. They love money and pretend to love God, but it's as if God is their ATM. I've seen, time and time again, the pain and heartache they have caused. How do you love God and not care for his children, or for your own children. Keep telling your story! Your true account of the situation has helped so many people, including me and my children. Peace to you and yours!
Saint

United States

#1247 Aug 22, 2012
Mindy wrote:
<quoted text>
Restoration will never happen with my family. My dad has made sure of that. I can tell you why "criticizing" these "pastors" will help. First, because it's not criticizing, it's telling our experiences in the hopes that we can help others, or, even better, save them from the experience entirely. Secondly, they are not pastors by biblical definition. They disobey the Word, twist it to line their own pockets, destroy more lives and families than they help. When politicians do something wrong, they are held to task by the people, and fellow politicians. Biblically, that's what should happen with pastors, but instead, the opposite happens. So, when these so called pastors teach people to never speak against them, or when you say people should not "criticize", all that does is allow them to continue in their indiscretion.
I will pray that God restores because that's what he does. When Saul was wrong David did not touch him. God is faithful and just to do what is right. If a minister has been annointed of God, I always put them in Gods hand and let God take care of them because he called them. we should always make a step to forgive and walk in love.
Rumor

Tucson, AZ

#1248 Aug 22, 2012
Rumor has it that Hoogenboom has left Tucson and went back to Indiana. Has anyone heard from hoogenboom?
Former SRC Member

Elk River, MN

#1249 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
I will pray that God restores because that's what he does. When Saul was wrong David did not touch him. God is faithful and just to do what is right. If a minister has been annointed of God, I always put them in Gods hand and let God take care of them because he called them. we should always make a step to forgive and walk in love.
"IF" is the operative word here, so many have "called" themselves to the ministry. bill matthews is one. A true man of God would never continue down the path he is. And pray as u may, but God never goes against the will of a man. And clearly bill matthews will is NOT even close to Gods will. So might want to spend your time praying in line with Gods word you will probably get much more accomplished.
been there

Bettendorf, IA

#1250 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said he didn't receive gifts and he gave everyone of them. What have you've done. I have been with him in the middle of nowhere and spent thousands of dollars just to get there and minister to people that can't give you anything but a chicken. The problem is you must have a problem with giving and it shows. No matter what is said you are always right, well according to you. I was with the man for 10 years and I've seen him do without to give to many. All I can say is instead of criticizing all these ministers why not pray for them.
Nope, wrong again Saint. I have no problem giving, have always paid tithes and given generous offer rings. Still do, just not to these self serving egotistical charlatans. You were the one that stated Apostle Dr Powers never received offerings for his ministry. YOU were the one that tried to make the point by claiming the people he ministered to could not afford to give. All anyone has to do is look back at YOUR posts to see that. Then when it was pointed out about the Roles and BMWs you stated he indeed received one. Then went on to say he has received 5. Again, I thank you for proving my point that Powers indeed receives expensive gifts in these 'poor' missionary meetings. You sound like you may know because maybe you are Powers himself.
been there

Bettendorf, IA

#1251 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know anything about what you are going thru but I will pray for peace and restoration. I know Dr. Powers did not disown his son and anyone who says that is a liar. The sad part is that people hear a rumor and spread it like the truth. I'm really not sure how criticizing these ministers will help.
How do you KNOW Powers did not disown his son? I will say again that maybe Powers did try to contact the son and daughter in law but may it was not for reconciliation but so he too could pull a Matthews. I will admit I don't know whether Powers disowned him or not, I am not the one that said that, but I did say and will repeat that it would not surprise me at all if he did. But you Saint are calling the lady that did post that comment a liar. At this point I would believe her and her statement a love anything you say because you 'know for a fact' but your facts appear to been false facts.
been there

Bettendorf, IA

#1252 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
He did not receive 5 rolexes in one service that is over a 10 year period. Wow you're just looking for anything to make stupid remarks.
You are the one that first said 'that was one meeting' in response to my comment about him getting these gifts. You are the one that stupidly went on to post that you have seen him get 5 rolexes. Nowhere can you show me a post where I said he got 5 in one service. Seems you are the one making stupid remarks. Of course since you don't have much defense for these self serving self proclaimed DRs and Apostles you can't help but make stupid remarks. Show me where I said he received 5 rolexes in one service and I will apologize. BUT if you can't show me, are you a SAINT enough to apologize to me.
been there

Bettendorf, IA

#1253 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing to answer here is you need to get facts instead of speaking lies. Listen to what you are saying, the only thing is to pray for you.
. I guess I need to get my 'facts' from you because you 'know for a fact'. I don't think I need your facts nor your prayers. I may need prayers but not from folks like Powers, Rojas, Matthews, or any others in the DuFresne camp.
Mindy

Wayzata, MN

#1254 Aug 22, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
You can pray that God will restore, but God cannot force people to do anything, and my dad will never change because he refuses to see where he is wrong. That's why I say he has made sure reconsiliation will never happen for my family. The things he has done have guaranteed that there will never be a possibility for my family to be together again. I do not choose to forgive for his sake, but for my own. Walking in love does not mean to have a relationship with someone who is so toxic, forgiveness does not mean I have to allow him back in my life. Now that I am free of his manipulation and control, I would never allow that back in my life again.

Since: Sep 11

out on the lone prairee

#1255 Aug 23, 2012
Rumor wrote:
Rumor has it that Hoogenboom has left Tucson and went back to Indiana. Has anyone heard from hoogenboom?
Doubt that anyone reading this thread is on a friendly speaking basis with Hoogenboom. Years ago he left the "Compassion" group of pastors he was tied in with (mostly former AOGers like himself) and hooked up with a missionary outfit in Indiana (although he continued to pastor CCC and run the "Compassion Institute"). Personally I got a fishy feeling about that but it was just that, a feeling. But by then I was already sensing some dark goings-on behind the scenes and I wasn't alone in that. This was before we got the news about his full Elk River history. That was a shocker but by then I was already out of there, leaving behind a wriggling trail of rumors of my own. What a place. Haven't been a member or regular attendee of any church since.
calling all Saints

Oregon, WI

#1256 Aug 24, 2012
been there wrote:
<quoted text> You are the one that first said 'that was one meeting' in response to my comment about him getting these gifts. You are the one that stupidly went on to post that you have seen him get 5 rolexes. Nowhere can you show me a post where I said he got 5 in one service. Seems you are the one making stupid remarks. Of course since you don't have much defense for these self serving self proclaimed DRs and Apostles you can't help but make stupid remarks. Show me where I said he received 5 rolexes in one service and I will apologize. BUT if you can't show me, are you a SAINT enough to apologize to me.
How about it Saint?? Seems "been there" is willing to apologize if you can prove him / her wrong. I have looked at the comments both of you have posted and it would seem you owe "been there" an apology. That is, if as "been there" posted,'Are you Saint enough to apologize? Seems you have been around these Drs and Apostles so much you are like them in thinking everyone will take your comments as gospel and not seek the truth.
Lol

United States

#1257 Aug 24, 2012
Really?? been there and Saint, are we in 2nd grade? Followers of these "Dr" guys are taught to turn off their "intellectual" man. In other words don't use logic or reason. You can't argue with someone who has turned off their brain
Elk River Mallard

Elk River, MN

#1258 Aug 24, 2012
Many of us have had bitter, painful experiences at Elk River Assembly of God/Solid Rock Church. Many of us have been hurt by the “ministries” of Jim Hoogenboom and Bill Matthews. I was a part of that church from September ’87 to September ’92. I understand that you have experienced a terrible ordeal at the hands of those “ministers”. However, God is not to blame and you do not have a valid reason to desert your relationship with God because of false teachers. Let us consider what the apostle Paul went through: In 2 Corinthians 11:26 Paul said,“I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from mycountrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren;” All of these things, including the false brethren, did not deter Paul from continuing on with Jesus. Jesus did tell us that we would have “tribulation in this world”. We expect that from those who do not claim to know Him, and it is so much more painful when the tribulation comes from those claiming to be believers. Keep in mind, Jesus is still perfect and He is still willing to live in our hearts and provide us with love, joy, peace, forgiveness and all the many other things that are benefits of the Christian life. Rather than letting the abuse at Solid Rock damage you, use it to bring you into a closer relationship with Jesus. It is trials that make us grow. I know that it is painful when those trials come through alleged brethren, but God uses all trials, including those, to bring us closer to Him. When we come through a trial, we often are faced with a distinct choice: We will become bitter and drift away, or like Job, Paul, Peter and so many others, we will let the trials draw us to a closer relationship with God.

I am grieved when I read that some of you are no longer in fellowship at any church. I understand that there are not many good churches, but I hope that you will consider at least looking for one and/or seeking fellowship with other believers wherever and whenever you can. And above all, keep in mind that we all go through trials. Let the trials work in your life, to bring you closer to the one Who died for you and offers you the free gift of eternal life.
Elk River Mallard

Elk River, MN

#1259 Aug 24, 2012
Correction: I was at Solid Rock until September '93, not '92. I was there for about one year of Bill Matthews' "ministry".
Saint

Anaheim, CA

#1260 Aug 24, 2012
been there wrote:
<quoted text>How do you KNOW Powers did not disown his son? I will say again that maybe Powers did try to contact the son and daughter in law but may it was not for reconciliation but so he too could pull a Matthews. I will admit I don't know whether Powers disowned him or not, I am not the one that said that, but I did say and will repeat that it would not surprise me at all if he did. But you Saint are calling the lady that did post that comment a liar. At this point I would believe her and her statement a love anything you say because you 'know for a fact' but your facts appear to been false facts.
First of all I don't even think he reads this. I didnt mean he received those gifts in one meeting. This was over a period of years I was there and I seen him give them all away. Over the years. Dr. Powers has traveled to many places where there was no offering and I've seen him return to those same places year after year. Everyone here has made their mind up about everyone so it's just a waist of time to write anything here. Not every place he goes does he receive offerings like that. You don't even know Dr Powers and I've been around him for ten years. Most of his preaching have been out of the country where we were in huts no hotels nearby. Cold water the food was bieng killed daily to eat. It was not elegant but he goes. He told me when I started if we don't go who will. He has never been about what he can get it has always been to bless people. I really don't care if you believe me or not but I said he never received an offering for his ministry. Sometimes pastors didnt even cover the expenses and I was their and seen that and he still went. And about his son who ever wrote it is a liar, wether you believe it or not.
been there

Bettendorf, IA

#1261 Aug 25, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I don't even think he reads this. I didnt mean he received those gifts in one meeting. This was over a period of years I was there and I seen him give them all away. Over the years. Dr. Powers has traveled to many places where there was no offering and I've seen him return to those same places year after year. Everyone here has made their mind up about everyone so it's just a waist of time to write anything here. Not every place he goes does he receive offerings like that. You don't even know Dr Powers and I've been around him for ten years. Most of his preaching have been out of the country where we were in huts no hotels nearby. Cold water the food was bieng killed daily to eat. It was not elegant but he goes. He told me when I started if we don't go who will. He has never been about what he can get it has always been to bless people. I really don't care if you believe me or not but I said he never received an offering for his ministry. Sometimes pastors didnt even cover the expenses and I was their and seen that and he still went. And about his son who ever wrote it is a liar, wether you believe it or not.
Still poor mouthing it about how DR APOSTLE POWERS (and YOU) had endured poor conditions and staying in huts blah blah blah and not receiving anything. Poor you. You and the APOSTLE Powers received more than you gave. How else would you have made the trip? How would you have eaten? How did you support yourself, and a family(if you have one)? Maybe you leave thenm on the government dole for other taxpayers to support while you run around on other people's money. You sound like you are from the same ilk as the Powers, Matthews, Rojas, Webb, DuFresne, etc. Poor mouthing it so others will give so you can live a pretty lavish lifestyle. Your facts are wrong again, I DO know DR APOSTLE JIMMY POWERS. So run it through your fact checker again. Just as you KNOW that lady that made the statement about Powers disowning his son being a liar, you are stating what you think, not what you know. Powers may or may not have disowned his son, I don't know but would not surprise me at all if he had. And he may have wanted to contact the son so he could steal the son's wife, just as we have seen happen by his fellow DR minister. You still have not proven me wrong so I do not offer an apology, but I do repeat the challenge, show me where I made the statement and I am man enough to apologize publicly on this forum, but if you can't, are you SAINT enough to apologize publicly? I don't think so because you are just like the other self proclaiming egotistical self righteous DRs, APOSTLES, PROPHETS, etc that think their 'crap' don't stink.
Former SRC Member

Elk River, MN

#1262 Aug 25, 2012
Elk River Mallard wrote:
Many of us have had bitter, painful experiences at Elk River Assembly of God/Solid Rock Church. Many of us have been hurt by the “ministries” of Jim Hoogenboom and Bill Matthews. I was a part of that church from September ’87 to September ’92. I understand that you have experienced a terrible ordeal at the hands of those “ministers”. However, God is not to blame and you do not have a valid reason to desert your relationship with God because of false teachers. Let us consider what the apostle Paul went through: In 2 Corinthians 11:26 Paul said,“I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from mycountrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren;” All of these things, including the false brethren, did not deter Paul from continuing on with Jesus. Jesus did tell us that we would have “tribulation in this world”. We expect that from those who do not claim to know Him, and it is so much more painful when the tribulation comes from those claiming to be believers. Keep in mind, Jesus is still perfect and He is still willing to live in our hearts and provide us with love, joy, peace, forgiveness and all the many other things that are benefits of the Christian life. Rather than letting the abuse at Solid Rock damage you, use it to bring you into a closer relationship with Jesus. It is trials that make us grow. I know that it is painful when those trials come through alleged brethren, but God uses all trials, including those, to bring us closer to Him. When we come through a trial, we often are faced with a distinct choice: We will become bitter and drift away, or like Job, Paul, Peter and so many others, we will let the trials draw us to a closer relationship with God.
I am grieved when I read that some of you are no longer in fellowship at any church. I understand that there are not many good churches, but I hope that you will consider at least looking for one and/or seeking fellowship with other believers wherever and whenever you can. And above all, keep in mind that we all go through trials. Let the trials work in your life, to bring you closer to the one Who died for you and offers you the free gift of eternal life.
Well said, thank you for your mature well rounded response. All this bickering and all the word games ppl continue to play back and forth just help me to see their lack of growth and immaturity. Perhaps its time to look up, and stop focusing on ppl and all their faults. God will deal with them and us in due time. Such a waste of time to sit and attack each other. Keep the faith
Saint

Anaheim, CA

#1263 Aug 25, 2012
been there wrote:
<quoted text>Still poor mouthing it about how DR APOSTLE POWERS (and YOU) had endured poor conditions and staying in huts blah blah blah and not receiving anything. Poor you. You and the APOSTLE Powers received more than you gave. How else would you have made the trip? How would you have eaten? How did you support yourself, and a family(if you have one)? Maybe you leave thenm on the government dole for other taxpayers to support while you run around on other people's money. You sound like you are from the same ilk as the Powers, Matthews, Rojas, Webb, DuFresne, etc. Poor mouthing it so others will give so you can live a pretty lavish lifestyle. Your facts are wrong again, I DO know DR APOSTLE JIMMY POWERS. So run it through your fact checker again. Just as you KNOW that lady that made the statement about Powers disowning his son being a liar, you are stating what you think, not what you know. Powers may or may not have disowned his son, I don't know but would not surprise me at all if he had. And he may have wanted to contact the son so he could steal the son's wife, just as we have seen happen by his fellow DR minister. You still have not proven me wrong so I do not offer an apology, but I do repeat the challenge, show me where I made the statement and I am man enough to apologize publicly on this forum, but if you can't, are you SAINT enough to apologize publicly? I don't think so because you are just like the other self proclaiming egotistical self righteous DRs, APOSTLES, PROPHETS, etc that think their 'crap' don't stink.
It's no use answering you. Be blessed
been there

Bettendorf, IA

#1264 Aug 26, 2012
Saint wrote:
<quoted text>
It's no use answering you. Be blessed
. So you are NOT Saint enough to apologize, you are just another self righteous egotistical false SAINT like the DRs and APOSTLES claiming to bee ministers. Yep, no need answering you, YOU just proved me right again. Thanks for showing everyone YOUR true nature. NOW you can keep your facts to yourself since everyone can see you for what you really are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
suicide in big lake (Feb '09) Wed Jasminedadme 26
Anonymous Sep '16 Anonymous 1
News Minneapolis police union assails department ove... (Sep '09) Jul '16 Birdzilla 69
News August 5, 2015 - (Aug '15) Aug '15 rodney neslson 1
looking for family of Adam troy Webb (Jun '15) Jun '15 roseville mn 5
Review: Appletime Child Care Inc (Mar '14) Aug '14 Jonikki 2
Cathy Kirka (Aug '14) Aug '14 R Danials 1

Elk River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Elk River Mortgages