Elk River pastor charged

Jan 14, 2011 Full story: Star News - Home 1,593

The Rev. William Neal Matthews, the pastor of Solid Rock Church and World Outreach Center, allegedly transferred money out of his mother-in-law's account while acting as the 94-year-old woman's power of attorney, according to a criminal complaint filed Jan.

Full Story
Mindy

Willmar, MN

#752 Aug 26, 2011
Wondering wrote:
I have heard, and noticed, that this pastor, and members of the church, are bringing in illegal aleins, getting false ducuments, getting them jobs, and forcing them to pay 20% of their wages to the "church". Does any one have information on this activity?
Sorry, but that is just stupid and wrong. Don't believe everything you hear, make sure it can be backed up with proof.
FYI

Saint Paul, MN

#753 Aug 26, 2011
There are a lot of things Dollar Bill does that are either illegal or just plain dishonest! Many things are kept within the CULT! The CULT members are told not to talk to others outside their group and made to feel like they are an end time elite group that Satan particularly has it out for!! That deflects any blame or spotlight away from Bill! How convenient to blame it all on the devils harrasment? There are those out there that know of illegal things Bill has done? You know who you are and we're asking you to please come forward now!! He will not pay you back or make things right! Give up that hope and report him, please??? Just because he calls himself a pastor does not mean he is above the law! The Word says we shall know them by their fruit! His fruit is division, destruction, lying ,stealing , perversion and False Doctrine!! This is not even the fruit of a christian much less a pastor!! He better not preach the sermon on the prodigal son because he's failed at that one miserably!!
Barbara

Sierra Vista, AZ

#754 Aug 28, 2011
Sorry, UDI means undocumented immigrants. But, they're individuals too!
Free mind

Northfield, MN

#755 Aug 28, 2011
Barbara wrote:
Sorry, UDI means undocumented immigrants. But, they're individuals too!
Sorry Barb, they are still called illegals in this part of the country, and this "church" has so many they do the songs in spanish. But I can see many members will follow this fraud to the bitter end then admit they have been lied to, and deceived.

Since: Feb 11

Willmar, MN

#756 Aug 29, 2011
This has nothing to do with "Dr." Matthews, but some of you might be interested:

http://ourcrossingstory.blogspot.com/2011/08/...

In addition to the announcement of a meeting, there is testimony of those who have been involved with this "ministry" in the column on the right, toward the bottom.
Mindy

Willmar, MN

#757 Aug 30, 2011
Free mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Barb, they are still called illegals in this part of the country, and this "church" has so many they do the songs in spanish. But I can see many members will follow this fraud to the bitter end then admit they have been lied to, and deceived.
Just because someone speaks Spanish doesn't mean they are illegal. I am in no way defending any of my dad's illegal activities, and I haven't been a part of his church in years. What I am concerned with is that things don't get exaggerated, or taken out of context. First of all, there aren't very many people left in the church at all, secondly, the only Hispanic family left there is Bill's (my dad) in laws. They were here for many years before he married her, and he had nothing to do with bringing them over here.
Been There

Washington, DC

#758 Aug 30, 2011
I thought the comments about the hispanics are related to hoogenbooms church in Arizona right?
As a former src goer I wouldn't confidently say those activities were occuring - even when there was a larger population of Spanish speaking folks.
FYI

Saint Paul, MN

#759 Aug 30, 2011
Thank you Robert for posting the link. I have always believed The Crossing to be yet another CULT! I have had people ask me my opinion of the Crossing and now I have something to direct them to. The most alarming part is Erik's vision for expansion! He must be exposed! Living Word Christian Center in Brooklyn Park is also a Cult because of False Docrtrine ,control and manipulation of leadership,twisting Scripture. and perversion of the prosperity messsage. We could go on and on with example after example from that Cult!! Christians beware who you are connected with! There are definate similarities and markers within all these Cults. Paul talks about the great Apostasy coming ,the great falling away of those who have professed to be christians in 2nd Thes 2:3 before Christs return!! We are there everyone!!
Sorry Guys

Tucson, AZ

#760 Aug 30, 2011
Hoogenboom's congregation included Hispanics but they were not forced to pay anything.
Dean

Zimmerman, MN

#762 Aug 30, 2011
Chad wrote:
THANKS JUDY! I just really hope and pray they swing it hard for the victim...He cant continue to get away with this.....and hurt so many people..
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!
Greetings Chad!! How you Doing? Got something to share.

Few minutes ago landed by accident at the web site given below: Has church or religious membership
requirements changed this much??

http://www.makestraightpaths.com/potential_me...
Freemind

Northfield, MN

#763 Aug 30, 2011
Mindy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone speaks Spanish doesn't mean they are illegal. I am in no way defending any of my dad's illegal activities, and I haven't been a part of his church in years. What I am concerned with is that things don't get exaggerated, or taken out of context. First of all, there aren't very many people left in the church at all, secondly, the only Hispanic family left there is Bill's (my dad) in laws. They were here for many years before he married her, and he had nothing to do with bringing them over here.
I heard it from an guy after he was kicked out of the church some years ago for having relations with Bill Matthews daughter. He told me how they would attain fake documents in Mpls. What you say about no hispanics attending the church is false. What your father needs is to confess to his sins, and maby, just maby, try to gain forgiveness from all the people he has deceived, and swindled.

Since: Jan 11

Andover, MN

#764 Aug 31, 2011
@ Dean..Interesting! Im in Minnesota right now. Had a GREAT visit with Tommy yesterday afternoon!
Mindy

Willmar, MN

#765 Aug 31, 2011
Freemind wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it from an guy after he was kicked out of the church some years ago for having relations with Bill Matthews daughter. He told me how they would attain fake documents in Mpls. What you say about no hispanics attending the church is false. What your father needs is to confess to his sins, and maby, just maby, try to gain forgiveness from all the people he has deceived, and swindled.
Obviously you aren't going to drop this one, but let me tell you my point. I have nothing to do with my dad or his church. At one time there were a lot of Spanish speaking people there, now there are very few people at all, making it very likely only a small percentage of them are Hispanic. None of them were brought in by my dad or the church in the past. Some of them may have gotten false documents in Minneapolis, of that I have no knowledge. Tithing and giving "over and above" is taught very strongly to everyone in the church, but I never heard anything specifically about 20%. Also, there was no one ever kicked out of the church for having "relations" with one of us.
Again, I am not trying to defend my dad AT ALL! I just think there are more important things that are true, and can actually be proved. Since the beginning of all this, I have always thought it was very important to stick to the facts, and not try to stretch the truth in any way, so that's all I am trying to do here, too. I can see where your facts are not accurate, and I am just trying to set it straight, because you heard it "from a guy", well, I lived it, so I think I would know!
Freemind

Northfield, MN

#766 Aug 31, 2011
Mindy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you aren't going to drop this one, but let me tell you my point. I have nothing to do with my dad or his church. At one time there were a lot of Spanish speaking people there, now there are very few people at all, making it very likely only a small percentage of them are Hispanic. None of them were brought in by my dad or the church in the past. Some of them may have gotten false documents in Minneapolis, of that I have no knowledge. Tithing and giving "over and above" is taught very strongly to everyone in the church, but I never heard anything specifically about 20%. Also, there was no one ever kicked out of the church for having "relations" with one of us.
Again, I am not trying to defend my dad AT ALL! I just think there are more important things that are true, and can actually be proved. Since the beginning of all this, I have always thought it was very important to stick to the facts, and not try to stretch the truth in any way, so that's all I am trying to do here, too. I can see where your facts are not accurate, and I am just trying to set it straight, because you heard it "from a guy", well, I lived it, so I think I would know!
The "relation" resulted in the birth of a child,...does that ring a bell? If you have nothing to do with the church, how do you know who, and who does not, attend the church? It seems you are trying very hard to defend your father...which is understandable, but, he might not have told you the full truth of his dealings. P.S. My God, he married your sister in-law, who is now your step mother, shortly after his wife..your mother, passed away. It is time to see your father for what he is. My prayers are with you.
Candy Berquist

United States

#767 Sep 3, 2011
@ FREEMIND:

It is apparent that this FREEMIND knew little of the facts and has many misperceptions-of which have been freely spouted off with reckless abandon and with little regard of being hurtful. One of MY family members (not Mr. Matthews) brought a hispanic co-worker to church-and this co-worker's family members and friends then started coming-more than a decade ago! There were a good number of hispanic families coming after that. Our music ministry did start translating some of the praise and worship songs into Spanish to be able to minister to this growing part of SRC's population, but songs were also translated into other languages to minister to visiting pastors/staff from other countries, also. Mr. Matthews and Mary Matthews went to a number of different countries-including some hispanic and latino countries-but also to other countries including but not limited to England, Nigeria, Bulgaria, and Germany. Elk River had a much larger population of hispanic families looking for churches in our area at that time than other nationals but we did have some other nationals also in the area who came. Mindy, bravo to your maturity of keeping facts straight despite being flailed upon with this kind of poorly processed, then accusatory ruckus!!! FREEMIND, how you ever interpreted Mindy as defending her father (?!?!?!) and needing you to tell her" to see her father for what he is" is, in my opinion ludicrous. Just exactly what was the intent and goal with your posting??? Are you saying that one of the married Matthew's kid's spouse told YOU they were kicked out of SRC for having relations with a Matthews family member that led to the birth of a baby??? There is no such current nor ex spouse such as you posted!!! Always ask more questions from more than one person who is credible before forming an opinion or starting a debate. Obviously, FREEMIND , you do not have enough facts, nor did you check out your source's information before you posted-was something lost in translation somewhere? You have the right to your free speech however, to post non-factual perceptions will only get you challenged and corrected with truth and facts on this blog. Again what was your intent and the goal of your posting?
Rev Smedly

Northfield, MN

#768 Sep 4, 2011
by FOX 9 Investigator Jeff Baillon
ELK RIVER, Minn.- Alleged financial crimes are plaguing an Elk River minister accused of taking money from his elderly mother-in-law to pay back taxes to the IRS.
William Neal Matthews, known as “Bill” to many, is no stranger to television cameras. He frequently uses them at his Solid Rock church and world outreach center to broadcast his religious messages on YouTube,
“The place that God wants us to be is debt free,” Matthews said in one of his videos.
Yet, despite his on-screen savvy, Matthews declined to go on camera to comment on the following report.
“You don’t solve financial trouble by borrowing more money,” Matthews preached in one recording.“You have to resolve the issue.”
Now, Matthews has plenty of his own issues to resolve -- among them, a felony charge of financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult.
“What my dad is doing is not (being) a good witness to win people to the Lord,” said Emily Malleonada, Matthews’ daughter.
Matthews’ family is opening up about the pastor’s money misdeeds and the conflicts surrounding this man of cloth’s new marriage.
“I’ve seen the bank statements. It's pretty clear," said Malleonada.
Matthews was recently in court to face charges that he stole money from his elderly mother-in-law.
“My aunt discovered it,” Malleonada said.“My grandma was actually in jeopardy.”
Malleonada said her grandmother was close to being evicted from a nursing home because the rent hadn’t been paid in months. Matthews was in charge of her finances at the time, Malleonada said.
“The money was getting used for some other thing and wasn't getting paid to her nursing home bill,” Malleonada said.
One police were alerted, Matthews paid the $3,500 bill, but by then, investigators had noticed something unusual in his bank records.
Investigators said that, while the nursing home rent had gone unpaid,$1,720 had been withdrawn from Malleonada‘s grandmother’s account and transferred into Matthews’.
Police said money was also taken from her account to pay the IRS on Matthews’ behalf.
Court documents show Matthews denied taking the money for his use.
Though Matthews had once preached about being debt free, he is hardly close when it comes to taxes.
Besides being a pastor, Matthews also owns an auto body repair shop; however, when FOX 9 Investigators checked Sherburne County records they found that the property taxes haven’t been paid since 2008 -- tallying a past-due bill in the amount of $22,000.
Rev Smedly

Northfield, MN

#769 Sep 4, 2011
Recently, the state of Minnesota also tacked on a $5,230 lien on the business due to unpaid withholding taxes.

“Anything to do with finances is always kept very hushed and very secret,” said Andrew Matthews, the pastor’s son.

There is no love lost between Andrew Matthews and his father. At one time, they worked together at the church and at the business, but they had a falling out in 2009 while Andrew’s mother was dying and his marriage with then-wife Lorena was struggling.

“My wife then moved in with my dad to take care of my sick mom,” Andrew Matthews recounted.

Andrew Matthews said his wife moved into his parents’ home while he was out of state, training with the National Guard. Shortly after Andrew’s ailing mother died, he said his father made a surprising announcement.

“’God gave me a list of three people that I can marry, and Lorena is on that list,’” Andrew remembered.“I said,‘Are you joking?’ I’m still married to her at this point. We were still legally married.”

Yet, just five months after Andrew and Lorena Matthews divorced, she married her former father-in-law.

“My dad -- who performed (my) ceremony, is now married to my ex-wife,” Andrew Matthews said.

He isn’t the only member of the Matthews family who isn’t terribly keen on the nuptials.

“She’s my age,” said Malleonada.“She’s six months younger than me -- his youngest daughter.”

Andrew Matthews said the new arrangement is especially awkward for his 3-year-old daughter.

“She said,‘Daddy, do think it’s silly that I call my grandpa ‘daddy?’” he said.

William Matthews had a total of six children with his late wife, and the new marriage has split the family. The siblings explained that the three oldest children have stuck behind their father -- cutting ties with the younger brother and sister.

“How do I explain to my children that this is an OK action?” asked Malleonada.

The marriage isn’t the only taboo the family is trying to cope with. Despite the tax debts and charges of financial abuse, the bio for William Matthews on the church’s website says he’s traveled extensively to preach the gospel around the world.

“Many times he’ll travel first class. He’ll stay in five-star hotels,” said Andrew Matthews.

If convicted, Matthews may face prison or a fine -- the latter begs the question of how a man that owes tens of thousands in back taxes can pay up.

The family said there’s also a collection agency after the embattled preacher to try and collect the remainder of his first wife’s funeral bill.

“(The) funeral has not been paid for,” Andrew Matthews said.

“His wedding was paid for in full.”

A judge has ordered William Matthews to not have any contact with his mother-in-law, and the pastor has another court appearance for the felony charge scheduled to take place next month.
Sharon

Tucson, AZ

#770 Sep 5, 2011
Victoria Medrano wrote:
My name is Victoria. Jim Hoogenboom is now a pastor in Tucson, Arizona. Up until recently I was his employee for 12 years. I quit/got fired. I knew of "some" of the history back home where he came from but not much. I read the court reports on-line and the family basically kept things quiet. "The Lord has forgiven him and we should too," is what I told my husband, "who are we to judge?" Well, it's not for me to judge any of this that I have read, I'm so sorry for all of you that you had to go through what you did, sincerely. I'm sorry that people hide in a church and abuse the precious Word of God. Shame on them. They will suffer a painful consequence one day for their foolishness. Tell me, was a book written about this tragedy?
Hi Victoria, I know Mr. Hoogenboom. I live in Tucson and used to attend his church, but I felt so uncomfortable there. There was so much confusion. Everyone was divorcing, or their husbands would die. I remember people coming in for counseling, screeming at Hoogenboom. It was awful. I left the church. Hoogenbooms church foreclosed. He lost it. So, he was holding church at Desert Christian school. But he recently closed that one up too. There wasnt enough money in the church business any more. He partnered up with Rick Franz in a collection business where they work under bogus names. I think one of the names in Michael Bates. The name of the business is Chase Commercial World Wide. They also sell cars under the table , they buy them at auction, and sell them for profit. That is why Hoogenboom is always driving a different car. They do this under the table. Hoogenboom recently encouraged Rick to get divorced, that he would support him and help him any way he could. Rick hired bad mexican men to burglarize his own home. He is very jealous of his wife because she is much younger than he is and pretty. He is rather homely, probably in his 70s, although he thinks he is God's gift to women. Well, he had those bad men take all his wifes clothes and valuables. She recently found out it was him that did it, and she filed for a divorce. Isn't if suspicous that Jim and Becky Hoogenboom's home was burglarized too? Did you know the church was burglarized too? Wow! They did an insurance came on each one....hmmmmm. Rick did a $16,000 insurance claim!!!! His wife let the police know. Hoogenboom knew all of this, yet he still partnered with Rick, and supports him. rick has alienated his son from his wife, using this young boy as a weapon, a tool, agai nst his own mother. What an abusive man. Hoogenboom is right there to back him up and divide this family up as much as he can. Ricks wife fled the home because Rick was bruising her up and teaching the boy to punch at his mother with him, rewarding him for calling his mother horrid names, so she left out of fear of her very life. So, Rick changes the locks, gets a restraining order, and now he has all she owns...yet he is the one who robbed her. Where is justice? How can the man that robbed her have controll of everything she owns. Rick has killed 2 of her dogs, destroyed her things, etc. Te judge ordered him to give her some things, and Hoogenboom was there to supervise it.....so , she got nothing but stuf she took to the dumpster. Hoogenboom is right there, backing up lies, backing Rick up in teaching his son to hate his own mother....I just get very upset by this so-called-man-of-God who backs up and yokes up with evil. I do know that Ricks wife has prayed and prayed that Hoogennbooms church be closed, shut down. God answered her prayer. I join her in prayer as she prays that God move Hoogenboom right out of town and lock him up someplace before he starts another nut-house abusive church/cult. and put Rick in prison where he belongs.
Crooked - Hoogenboom

Tucson, AZ

#771 Sep 5, 2011
It sounds like Hoogenboom may have been involved in insurance fraud! What? They are selling cars under the table? So the IRS does not know about this? And Hoogenboom claims to be a "man of God?" Working under bogus names is untruthful! How can Hoogenboom be in partnership with a person like Rick when the Scripture says to shun all appearance of evil?(1 Thess. 5:22), or, "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?(2 Corinthians 6:14). Sounds like Hoogenboom got mixed up with the wrong person/people....AGAIN.....

Since: Sep 11

out on the lone prairee

#772 Sep 5, 2011
So that's why Hoogenboom's church building is now occupied by somebody else. I attended there for over a year but after seeing his true self gradually emerge I left, feeling a bit stupid that I'd stuck around as long as I did when there was obviously something deeply spiritually off about him & much of the membership. I wasn't too surprised then when I later learned about his Elk River misdeeds. Sure he can be forgiven but he's scripturally disqualified from pastoring ever again, according to I Timothy 3. There was NO Spirit of God over CCC. Hoog can shout, pound and manipulate all he wants, God's not behind him and the confused, vexed and egocentric antics at CCC proved it, at least for those who even knew what a true Godly spirit was. I prayed for a long time that the Lord would remove him from pastoring and instead move him into service that didn't involve leadership over a congregation, such as bible smuggling into Godless nations like he used to do. But sure, selling cars under the table is just as good, oh yeah.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Air duct cleaning 7 hr monicaelmer2003 1
Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jan 23 Any Good Politicians 849
Food Dec '14 Spud mister 69 1
looking for Larry Gene Hayes Dec '14 Gene 1
Review: Appletime Child Care Inc (Mar '14) Aug '14 Jonikki 2
Cathy Kirka Aug '14 R Danials 1
Accident on hwy10 Aug '14 Zhumba3 1
Elk River Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Elk River People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:22 pm PST

ESPN 1:22PM
Matthews fined $22K for block on QB Wilson
Yahoo! Sports 1:24 PM
What trick will Belichick pull from his hoodie sleeve next?
Bleacher Report 6:54 PM
Why Vikings Must Draft CB Quinten Rollins
Bleacher Report 5:47 AM
Dez Must Top Vikings' FA Wish List
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out