Elk River pastor charged

Elk River pastor charged

There are 1612 comments on the Star News - Home story from Jan 14, 2011, titled Elk River pastor charged. In it, Star News - Home reports that:

The Rev. William Neal Matthews, the pastor of Solid Rock Church and World Outreach Center, allegedly transferred money out of his mother-in-law's account while acting as the 94-year-old woman's power of attorney, according to a criminal complaint filed Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star News - Home.

Amazed

Mankato, MN

#21 Jan 18, 2011
Also take a look through this blog and the comments after. I found this one while googleing, too. I can't imagine how anyone can do this to so many people, yet still believe everything he says and does is godly. He sounds like the definition of evil to me. http://micah.typepad.com/dogears_wrinkles/200...
Matthew S

Tulsa, OK

#22 Jan 18, 2011
No Father, let alone a 'Godly' one, can justify marrying his son's ex wife. God doesn't tell people to do stuff like that. I hope his children can find it in their hearts to forgive him for his shameful actions and I hope he can repent and make things right with them.
Tearful

Mankato, MN

#23 Jan 18, 2011
How can anyone read this and not be in tears? All I can think is "What kind of a man does this? What kind of a father? What kind of a leader?" He is supposed to be a moral leader in his community? Instead of helping the poor and the elderly, and lifting up the abused, he steals from them, and abuses them some more. What kind of a person does this, then stand up on Sunday morning after this article comes out and says to his congregation that he didn't take a penny from that woman? That will be my last time in that church. I'm sorry I didn't leave earlier.
Tommy Gust

United States

#24 Jan 18, 2011
This is my bible.....I am what it says I am-(a heretic), I can do what it says I can do (swindle money), I can be what it says I can be (a Godless heathen), I can have what it says I can have (the right to remain silent....)
Common Sense

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Jan 18, 2011
@A True Believer- So what you are trying to say is that in your " Church" is ok to marry you FORMER daughter-IN-LAW? What kind of one sided teaching do you do there? There are things in life when you have to take a step back and think...... Is that normal? ethical? so there is stupidity and common sense. Not only common sense would tell a person that has not been brainwashed their whole life that there is something wrong with that situation but would also not allow it. I am extremely glad you are a “ True believer” all I know is that the s*** you believe is a product of a mix of stupidity and being brainwashed.
Definition of common sense in case you don’t know it: sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts
Ex: You really should go to see a doctor if your leg hurts that much. It's just common sense!
Ex: You really should not marry your FORMER daughter-IN-LAW is just common sense……….
Definition of a sect (Solid Rock Church): a dissenting or schismatic religious body; especially : one regarded as extreme or heretical
Definition of Heretical: relating to, or characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards
All I know is that the only thing you do know is that just as you have the right to have freedom of speech……. So do I. I just hope your kind stops progressing as a race. We don’t need that any more……..
Also sorry if I had to write all of this out with definitions and examples as I feel like you would not understand where I am coming from with your level of beliefs and intelligence.
WOW

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Jan 18, 2011
@ Common Sense

Example: You really should not marry your FORMER daughter-IN-LAW is just common sense specially if you are a "pastor"

Totally agree with you.

I hope it all works with you Andrew and this person does not hurt anyone else more than he already did.
Repulsed

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Jan 18, 2011
When are all the lies going to end? "True Believer " get your facts straight! Read the Article ,this {CULT Leader} stole thousands {not hundreds} and it started the month after his wife died and continued until he got reported apparently??? Vulnerable adult abuse is a Felony if convicted? Wow! This is the behavior of a so called "Pastor"? I think the others that have posted reveal his true character! The front page article that everyone recieved reported facts not suposition? Why is everyone around this man in such denial? He is a liar , a thief ,and a criminal, unfortunately using a church pulpit to hide behind! Let Justice be served!!! Let all "Pastors For Profit" be exposed!
Astonished

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Jan 18, 2011
The lies continue?@Tearful, you mean he actually stood in front of his church and said he didn't steal from his 94 yr old mother-in-law!!! I suppose he calls it borrowing? Well the law calls it STEALING! You are the smart one "TEARFUL" to get out now. Everyone else that stays will look foolish along with him! You don't lie from a pulpit and steal from a vulnerable adult without GOD taking this very SERIOUSLY. Vengance is mine says the Lord!!
Sunday Manning

Mankato, MN

#29 Jan 18, 2011
Andrew wrote:
I am the son that was married to Lorena and I will never hide from my accusers or talk behind someone's back, I would be more than happy to have a one on one public discussion of any events that transpired! I can assure you there has been zero illegal drug use for 13 years, and there was never physical abuse toward Lorena, the bible says the devil is the accuser of the brethren. I know God and I know he is in control. Although I am sad half my family will no longer speak with me, I know God can turn it around for good. I am not bitter or mad, but I look forward to the day truth is revealed. No man is perfect only God, but a real man can stand up and admit his wrongs and accept the consequences, a coward will hide and lie and deceive and cover up to the end!
Andy, I am very happy that you spoke up; I believe you. From the time your name was given to me by your relatives, who I care deeply for, I have lifted you in prayer together with the names of other people who have been abused by family members,(and like your father, these perpetrators also had a position of authority in the church when their devilish deeds were performed). I am so sorry that one man's actions has caused so much grief and damage to so many people. We are not to be yoked with the unbeliever. Anyone who performs as your father has over the years is not a what we call a believer, or Christian. Even Satan believes God, but he is not a Christian. Christians follow Christ, Jesus Christ, the Anointed One. As Christians we must constantly choose our words and actions according to our decision to have Jesus lead us as the Commander and Chief of His Father's army, of which we are members if we are indeed children of the Almighty God. As much as possible let us talk to one another about the Kingdom of God, encouraging people to stand and act on God's Word, no matter the cost. Heaven and hell are realities; there is no turning back for the one who arrives in hell. Pray makes the difference; surrendering to Jesus is the way. God richly bless you and yours Andy.
Tearful

Mankato, MN

#30 Jan 18, 2011
A True Believer wrote:
You guys sure are quick to judge. Until further evidence has been released, people are innocent until proven guilty.
@Unreal - You are incorrect in your accusations. He did marry his FORMER daughter-IN-LAW, but there was no affair. And once Loena was divorced (because her husband was abusive, a druggy, and an alcoholic), she is just a normal single individual who can marry anyone she wants. There is no laws against that. Make sure you have your facts right before you comment.
@ Terry Sandberg, I dont recall seeing any news or proof of your accusations. Someone is taking legal action on a few hundred dollars but you didnt on 36k? Pretty smart on your end.... maybe because you would have no ground to stand on.
In my state this is illegal.
Matt S

Tulsa, OK

#31 Jan 18, 2011
QUOTE who="A True Believer"
You say that his son was a "druggy & an abuser" but even if he was or if he was living on clean street, helping old ladies across the street all day-there is NO excuse for marrying his ex-wife. What an ungodly excuse.
Barbara

Sierra Vista, AZ

#32 Jan 18, 2011
I met this man in the early 70's. He was born again. I was not. His wife Mary was my cousin. She encouraged me to partake in the new Jesus People church, which I did not. But, from the moment they were married, I noticed Bill Matthews could not even look me in the eye. He tore her away from her family and friends. I know it takes 2 and from what I ascertained over the years was that she was happy. I don't think that's the truth. This man didn't even allow his daughter in law/wife to take care of her during the night when she was so sick. He announced his plans to marry their son's daughter very shortly after Mary died. I blame him for her death. She didn't get proper medical care because Bill didn't carry insurance and believe that HE could heal her. I've watched his live stream church services and he claimed to be able to heal people and he took their money. They'd walk up and put it in his pockets. He's a cult leader and I hope his congregation has seen what a scammer he is and goes elsewhere. I'm sorry for the kids, all 6 of them, having to deal with this horrible man and I do pray and hope that healing of this family happens some day. I hate that he doesn't put his children before all. It's just wrong!
Barbara

Sierra Vista, AZ

#33 Jan 18, 2011
Repulsed wrote:
When are all the lies going to end? "True Believer " get your facts straight! Read the Article ,this {CULT Leader} stole thousands {not hundreds} and it started the month after his wife died and continued until he got reported apparently??? Vulnerable adult abuse is a Felony if convicted? Wow! This is the behavior of a so called "Pastor"? I think the others that have posted reveal his true character! The front page article that everyone recieved reported facts not suposition? Why is everyone around this man in such denial? He is a liar , a thief ,and a criminal, unfortunately using a church pulpit to hide behind! Let Justice be served!!! Let all "Pastors For Profit" be exposed!
Agreed!
Barbara

Sierra Vista, AZ

#34 Jan 18, 2011
A True Believer wrote:
You guys sure are quick to judge. Until further evidence has been released, people are innocent until proven guilty.
@Unreal - You are incorrect in your accusations. He did marry his FORMER daughter-IN-LAW, but there was no affair. And once Loena was divorced (because her husband was abusive, a druggy, and an alcoholic), she is just a normal single individual who can marry anyone she wants. There is no laws against that. Make sure you have your facts right before you comment.
@ Terry Sandberg, I dont recall seeing any news or proof of your accusations. Someone is taking legal action on a few hundred dollars but you didnt on 36k? Pretty smart on your end.... maybe because you would have no ground to stand on.
Oh BS. There WAS an affair before Mary died. She was sleeping in the same bedroom as him.
Surprised

Willmar, MN

#35 Jan 18, 2011
I see "True Believer" doesn't have any more to say to defend his point of view. Did anyone notice that was the only comment on this thread that agrees with the situation? I wonder how many people go to this church
Andrew

Indianapolis, IN

#36 Jan 18, 2011
The problem I have had ever since this started is Bills followers are told not to discuss anything that would be an issue, like this subject, with others. Even my three eldest siblings refuse to talk to me and even be civil. I have been told by members who left the church over some of Bills integrity issues that they publicly spoke bad about me from the pulpit, yet they don't have the guts to speak to me directly, it is very easy to talk behind someone's back and spread lies, the best thing about this case is it is documentable evidence with clear paper trails. The churches finances and budgets are kept private as well as his salary and expenditures, his congregation blindly follows believing all is right. I feel if there is nothing wrong why hide it. He hid the fact he was going to marry Lorena and had a private wedding in California, when I get married again I will proudly tell everyone, because I will not be ashamed of what I am doing.
For the record, I never claimed to be perfect or right, and I admitted and repented to everyone I knew about mistakes I made, which did not include abuse, drugs, or being an alcoholic. Thank you all for your support, I hope Jesus true character is shown through this in the end.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#37 Jan 19, 2011
It seems this pastor has the same problem many have. Just because something is "legal" doesn't necessarily make it "right". There's a big difference. Many in our society today justify the horrible and cruel things they do as acceptable because the aren't specifically illegal. I'd say marrying your daughter-in-law is definitely one of those legal but wrong actions, like marrying your brother's ex-wife or your sister's ex-husband. How could someone do something so cruel, selfish, and uncaring to their own son? It's flat out disgusting and nasty. It's just wrong no matter how you look at it.
Tommy Gust

United States

#38 Jan 19, 2011
Anyone who defends Bill is obviously on the payroll. A little advice to those people, a few moments of discomfort is far better than an eternity in the hot place. Get out and repent!
Robin

Minneapolis, MN

#39 Jan 19, 2011
Andy, I want to tell you that I am so proud of you and your sisters. It is not easy at all but you all can hold your head up and look yourself in the mirror. I left Assembly of God years ago and it was very difficult for me as it was such a loving place but all that changed when Bill took the wheel and forced the change on all. Many people left and it was a confusing and painful time in my life but I can hold my head up and look myself in the mirror everyday which is quite funny to me because when I did see Bill around town he would turn and walk away or pretend he didn't see me. This whole thing saddens me and I know it is extremely hard to be so young and dealing with such horrible issues but I know that no matter what happens he will have to be accountable for his actions in the end. Continue to push on and draw on the healthy & positive relationships in your life.
Sunday Manning

Mankato, MN

#40 Jan 19, 2011
Rocketlamb wrote:
It seems this pastor has the same problem many have. Just because something is "legal" doesn't necessarily make it "right". There's a big difference. Many in our society today justify the horrible and cruel things they do as acceptable because the aren't specifically illegal. I'd say marrying your daughter-in-law is definitely one of those legal but wrong actions, like marrying your brother's ex-wife or your sister's ex-husband. How could someone do something so cruel, selfish, and uncaring to their own son? It's flat out disgusting and nasty. It's just wrong no matter how you look at it.
I like what you said Rocketlamb. There are two sets of rules, laws, etc., God's and man's. Man's law is made by those who represent us, the people, and all laws reflect the hearts of some of the people living in the land. There are also customs and traditions, also created and instituted by man through default. Over the years I taught a course on Cultural Ethics. A highlight of the course is placing a paper on one side of the podium representing all cultural and traditional activities, programs, etc. and on the other side the Holy Bible, the Word of the Living God. Where there is a conflict the Holy Bible always wins. Another highlight is student participation when the students (adults) raise and discuss issues and declare the truth of the Holy Bible will prevail as their guide. Rightly dividing often requires communication; only the Spirit of the Living God can tell us when to talk and when not to, what to talk about and what not to talk about. In this situation God can only control what we give to Him to control. Let us agree in prayer that God can do the best thing for everyone involved. Sometimes prison on earth is better than prison in hell for eternity, if that’s what it takes for one to turn away from sin and turn towards the Almighty God. No matter what anyone has done, we want God to win, and what He wants to win is the heart of the person He created. Yes, we cry out for justice, and so it will come.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Oct 6 LIbEralS 864
Distracted driving Jul '18 Concerned citizen 1
New Hockey Arena (Jan '18) Jan '18 Matslinger 1
Oven/stove problems please help (Dec '17) Dec '17 Mlhafermann 1
News Big Lake officer embroiled in department contro... (Sep '08) Oct '17 sheila christenson 33
News Anoka County / Baby sitter charged in child sex... (Apr '08) Sep '17 Patty 44
News Man broke into St. Paul police station, stole p... (Aug '17) Aug '17 TheRealTruth 1

Elk River Jobs

Personal Finance

Elk River Mortgages